DISGUSTING exterior color - what colour should I paint this pink?

kevin_laurentianApril 29, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm about to move into my first home soon. The home I purchased has a disgusting looking pink for the shutters, main door, and garage door. What can I do with this??? I tried using upload and paste colours in the picture but it doesn't turn out very good. I think im in need of help from people who know how to decorate. Any help is appreciated.
A brownish charcoal such as SW Black Fox, or Smokehouse which has a little green in it.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:49PM
kevin_laurentian
replace the pink with all that colour? my sister says i should do the main entrance door a different then the rest...seems a little much though ....
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:50PM
Jayme H.
Thinking a charcoal like or blue grey color
8 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:51PM
You certainly could paint the door a different color from the rest of the trim. Fortunately you're on the spot where you can see the real brick and the paint colors once you sample them on poster board. At that point you might start to think about door color.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:53PM
collettec
Perhaps a dark brown for the shutters and garage door and a navy for the door if you wanted a different color.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:54PM
restoredtreasurestoo
SW Black Fox or Sealskin would compliment the brick & shingles (from what I can see:)
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:57PM
kevin_laurentian
thanks for the input guys - is anyone good at the upload picture/pasting colours on that could possibly post a pic a up?? i tried and it looked like @#$@($. I dont want to waste time and $ on paint for it look even worse - although i doubt it could be any worse. Thanks in advance to anyone who offers comments and possibly can put up a visual
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:00PM
oneofeleven
how about this palette *fourth from the top)? white trim (there is a bit of white in your mortar) black front door and the warm greige for everything else
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:00PM
Jayme H.
Deep Creek, Benjamin Moore
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:02PM
restoredtreasurestoo
Haha seems Carolyn has the same eye I do, that's weird, I didn't even read her post before I went to SW website! Good taste Carolyn! It would be nice to paint the door a daring color to make it stand out!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:42PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Eggplant for the door
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:48PM
Yes, restored, we do agree! Black Fox is my go to color for lots of things.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:52PM
kevin_laurentian
Thanks everyone! I will post the "after" pictures once I paint it!
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:45PM
ek kitchens and design
I agree with the above. You actually have three options: paint the shutters, trim and doors and leave the brick alone; paint the brick and leave the trim colors the same as they are now; or paint everything and truly make it stand out. Personally, I like option 3, but it also is the most expensive. If you keep the brick color, I also suggest a brownish-charcoal, even burgundy for the trim, etc. Since it is your first house and you are still figuring out your personal style, you may even opt to stay neutral. You may even try the SW French Roast as a darker, but warmer brown. Remember, you can upload your pics to the SW site and try out different colors. Will be a fun project and good luck! -ek
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:53PM
cici2216
Whatever you decide, use the same color family as the roof. It doesn't have to be "matchy matchy" and you can always add a different hue, a couple of shades lighter or darker, to the door to break up the look at a later time.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:11PM
blrussell
Have you thought about getting rid of the shutters? The bottom ones are really odd and the upper ones look too small.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:20PM
Ed
Hi Kevin, it does not look so bad.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:31PM
travelinc
I'd give the house some contrast without totally departing from its surroundings by going with something like this or a darker green.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 9:03PM
kathleen MK
Since the brick is a warm color the trim would look good in a cooler color like the suggested charcoal, blue gray or soft green (moss or sage). You could do the trim in a more neutral charcoal then a brighter shade on the Front door.
Kinda agree with Blrussell, the shutter bother me. Instead of shutters it needs some sort of trim to tie the upper and lower windows together some how. Maybe i can scan a sketch later.
Or paint the window woodwork to fade into the brick color. Then add two evergreens to vertically frame the windows.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 10:16PM
kevin_laurentian
Not quite done, still have to the half moon above the house address but here's the updated look.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:23PM
oneofeleven
much improved, what colour did you use?
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:41PM
kevin_laurentian
Evening gown i believe, as for the door it was a brown my sister had kicking around.... ended up working out + free so can't complain!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:45PM
colonialgp
Sorry I missed this so late, but the shutters could come down as they are not appropriate for your magnificent MCM house. Also, the door looks like a later replacement. Paint color looks good, though.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:52PM
kevin_laurentian
Remove all shutters? wouldn't that section look plain without them?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:55PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I like an olive to temper all that peachy yellow.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:58PM
shirleenprescott
Maybe mount your street numbers on a board painted the same as your door.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:05PM
88 Atelier for Architecture
Options for color on window frames include walnut brown or a warm gray. I think the shutters should be removed. They distract from the nice brick while being out of proportion with house. The door's semi-circle window really dates this house. I would replace the door, possibly with a wider one.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:07PM
kevin_laurentian
the house numbers were gold and spray painted them black... as far as the shutters go, you may be right, there are about 3 other identical houses with all of them still having the shutters. (brick may be un-faded) since they've been covered. Just glad most of the work is done... took a lot longer than I thought! I can't beleive someone didn't like my semi circle in the door - i love it lol j/k it'll do for now but in time will be changed for sure! thanks again for all the comments and feedback on my posting
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:15PM
A major reason the shutters should be removed is that shutters should be of a size that could really cover the window if they were actually hinged. There's no way yours would cover your windows so they are inappropriate.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:22PM
kevin_laurentian
Thanks Carolyn, I was curious why shutters would be inappropriate - makes sense though.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:26PM
And BTW, Kevin, the house has totally changed personalities and is looking great!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:38PM
Distinctive Mantel Designs, Inc
taupey gray...get a poster board and paint sample colors on, try Benjamin Moore 2108-40 for starters. Then hold it up and see what it does to the brick
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:42PM
Distinctive Mantel Designs, Inc
Did someone say take the shutters off? I'll second that....
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:44PM
cici2216
I think the semi circle matches the shape over the garage and adds symmetrical balance.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:46PM
nolam
I agree with taking the shutters off. And I like the idea of a dark gray for the trim, possibly the deep creek color posted by someone earlier. I'm not crazy about the door, but I would like it better if it was all one color, instead of having the trim around the half-moon window stand out.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 9:03PM
Triangle Brick Company
As a brick manufacturer, we love the look of natural brick and its durability. However, if you do decide to paint the brick, please be prepared for increased maintenance. According to The Brick Industry Association, “Most paint authorities agree that, once painted, exterior masonry will require repainting every three to five years.”
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:41PM
shirleenprescott
I think you can add a tall urn to the front porch and balance it out. Pick something darker than the brick. New oversized porch light fixture will help.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:59PM
kevin_laurentian
yeah a new porch light fixture is coming - my sister smashed the one currently up while trying to clean it . I guess in the end all that matters to me is that the pinkish disgusting colour is gone!
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 2:21PM
Sheila Rowan
Congratulations, it looks sooo much better with the new paint job, but I think there is still room for improvement; I would emphasize its midcentury style by removing the shutters and getting a new door with a more spare, linear style. And check out modern landscaping ideas on Houzz.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 3:25PM
What color should I paint the exterior?
I am getting ready to repaint the exterior of my house...
halok
What Color for the Exterior of House with Pink Sandstone?
I need to paint the exterior of my 1964 ranch house....
graciel57
Our exterior pink coloured brick, help!
We would like to paint the garage door, front door...
Katrina Danielle
What color should I paint the exterior of my house?
I live on a small cul de sac of 9 homes. There is only...
itzamelori
Seeking design help for a rural Montana home to be built
Getting ready to build a home in rural Dillon,Mt. We...
trentdonald1970
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Ann
replacing flooring
After water damage, I must replace all engineered maple...
Sherry Peterson
stone fireplace near an existing brick fireplace?
We're adding a screen porch with a fireplace. The screen...
nyumbayangu9