How to arrange furniture in long family room with TV focal point
famekab11
We are finishing a rectangle shaped family room in our basement (length is almost twice as long as width 24Lx15W) We can't decide which wall to put the tv on and how to arrange the furniture. The entrance is in the middle of one of the long walls. Should the tv go on the opposite wall or on a short wall?
Ed
Famek, 15 feet is quite wide, and allows you to put a very very wide TV. :) I would put the TV on the short wall. If you have friends or know people who are experts at audio-visual-speaker systems, it would be very helpful to let them see the space and give you suggestions about where to put the TV and speakers. :)
1 Like   April 29, 2013 at 9:01PM
famekab11
I agree, but my husband thinks otherwise
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 9:09PM
Interior Creations by Liah
Hello, with a long rectangle room it is usually best to create two or three different zones. The first thing I would suggest to do is place your television on the short wall to make it your first "zone" for tv viewing and seating. The short wall also has the spaces for storage..dvds, accessories etc. Next I would make the middle zone or second area the dining/eating area. Also a good way to define and anchor an area or space would be with a rug.. or a sofa table behind a sofa in the tv area. What that does is let you/guests know right away what each particular space is used for without using a wall or a large object to separate the areas, thus giving you a large open, functional living space. I hope this helps you a bit with your question and your journey in designing your space. :)
1 Like   April 29, 2013 at 9:11PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would divide the room into 2 areas as well. I would put the TV between the wall with the built in nooks adding shelf's then go back 12feet or more and place a sofa floating in the room facing the TV add chairs etc for TV watching. I would put a game table in the other end. great for games and entertaining. Or you could go with a media room with rows of seating for TV viewing only.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 12:55AM
Three focal points, no wall space, how do I arrange my furniture? HELP
The family room is open to breakfast room, fireplace...
karkey
furniture layout in great room with fireplace and TV as focal points.
Our new place has a gas fireplace between two windows...
angela_59
Arranging Furniture in a long living room with 2 focal walls!
Hi! I need help arranging my living room furniture!...
dmaxwell605
how to handle 2 focal points in a family room
I have a fireplace built into 1 wall and the tv on...
dramaqueen313
Need help with granite countertop color
I m considering ornamental white or kasmire white countertops...
mrrn
How to decorate Buffalo bag
I bought this great buffalo bag for Christmas decorations...
chelseabeagle
Moving kitchen to screened deck
Just bought a house in Atlanta. Love the house, hate...
rs7623926
Marble in the kitchen
Thinking of Carreras marble for my island countertop?...
Annette Cirillo-Bergen
Need Ideas
I would like to get ideas for a glass block walk in...
fisherlady53