Please help me make this patio a place to relax and enjoy.
Wendy De Lima Constantino
This is the bottom unit of a duplex. I want it to be private (from the 2nd floor tenants) and pretty to look at. What can I do with a small budget?
Are you renting or own? Temporary or permanent ideas?
April 29, 2013 at 9:23pm   
Wendy De Lima Constantino
We are renting and want to stay here for about three years.
April 29, 2013 at 9:26pm   
The least expensive option would be to get an off-set umbrella so you have privacy from above. Then, outdoor area rug and a small furniture seating for a cozy outdoor space.
April 29, 2013 at 9:37pm     
Brooke Strong
What climate are you in? You need a few large pots with either trees or bushes in them, or some big flower & grass mixtures. You could hang some art or a mirror on the wall too for some visual interest and to make it seem bigger & greener.
April 29, 2013 at 9:49pm     
Nowadays you can buy some pretty pergolas with a trellis on the four corners and a shade over the top. This can be moved with you. However, adding visual protection up top will have an impact on the light in your front room. Maybe a pop up sunbrella when you need it might be more pragmatic
April 29, 2013 at 9:57pm     
smdrovetto
If you are renting for only a couple of years, I would spend my money on things that could be taken with you when you leave....................some comfortable furniture, table and chairs, planters,(maybe some fast growing bamboo in one or two for privacy) and possibly invest in a really nice outdoor stove, if you think where you may live, or finally settle, would accommodate it. I agree with a previous comment about an outdoor rug. It would anchor the whole space.
April 29, 2013 at 10:11pm     
smdrovetto
Oops! Didn't see you were working on a small budget. However, even with a little bit of money, it pays to "invest" and spend as little of the budget as possible on "throwaways"

Look into how people have constructed simple "awnings" that are just big pieces of canvas, etc,, that can be attached on one side of the deck, and flow across to the other side. You maybe could attach one side to poles that could be lifted up, bringing all the fabric to the other side if you want that option for sun, etc.
April 29, 2013 at 10:19pm     
Brooke Strong
You can make some cool planting boxes with apple rates and plastic liners..save on expensive pots. Also tons of people get rid of pots at garage sales all the time! It's one very common easy find!
April 29, 2013 at 10:48pm     
Cozy Casita
http://www.lowes.com/pd_286184-69258-UC-3P10_4294703205__?productId=1080843&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo

Sorry, a bit of a clumsy link .. but I think it gets you there ! :-)
April 29, 2013 at 11:27pm     
Wendy De Lima Constantino
Thank you all for your helpful comments. I like them all, and am so happy you took the time to share your ideas. :)
April 30, 2013 at 9:50am     
Jayme H.
Portable privacy screens
April 30, 2013 at 9:59am     
Brooke Strong
So what are you thinking? Any progress? What climate are you in?
May 1, 2013 at 7:05pm     
Brooke Strong
Ohhh, you could also get a portable pergola and put some cheaper ikea white glory curtains (or colored) around it. If that's too $$ then mount some drapery curtains on the wall and it will look much more soft, formal and romantic!
May 1, 2013 at 7:06pm     
Brooke Strong
If you want shade and a cozy atmosphere, you can use something like this and take it with you when you go: http://www.target.com/p/shelter-logic-10-x-10-royal-pavilion-straight-leg-pop-up-gazebo/-/A-14517866#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink
Use some flowing white curtains from Ikea (or just make them out of sheets! Get some used patio furniture at a garage sale (or any old furniture really) and just add some plants. Plants can be expensive, so if you have some friends or famiily with a good garden, you can probably just take some cuts from their garden and use those, though it will take a while to get them going. It might not be lush right away, but maybe you can spend a little $ on one nice well started shrub or tree that you can also take with you when you move.
Do show photos and update us when you have made some decisions and progress!
May 2, 2013 at 8:01am     
lindahow
Here is a great website for outdoor furniture. I would look at some of the options with covers. Also big potted plants to give shade and privacy. http://manhattanhomedesign.com/shop-by-category-outdoor-furniture.html
May 2, 2013 at 8:03am     
LA+A studio, llc
I would recommend having some fun creating a living wall with plants, and then adding a fun rug and some funky furniture and some string lighting. Check out this link: http://www.woollypocket.com/gallery/view/wally/
May 2, 2013 at 8:29am     
Wendy De Lima Constantino
Thanks everyone. I can't believe all the great ideas I'm getting. Now I'm having confusion about what I'll incorporate. Big potted plants are definitely going to be a part of the picture. I also love the pergola with attached planter to frame the "ugly" back door. Definitely will buy an outdoor rug (never knew these existed until now) to cover the concrete. Not yet certain what type of umbrella or canopy I'll buy, but one will go up. The living wall with plants is awesome. Oh my! Now I am actually excited to move in at the end of the month. Love the Southern California weather! Will post pictures!
May 2, 2013 at 5:39pm   
Brooke Strong
Wendy, I hope the move went well. Any ideas or progress on the patio?
June 4, 2013 at 2:56pm     
Wendy De Lima Constantino
Hi Brooke, thanks for the follow up! We survived the move and are still surrounded by boxes. We brought in our old pool lounges and patio table from our former house and it looks fine (although a bit crowded). Bought some plants and a few cushions and an outdoor rug from Target. So nice. I'll post a pic as soon as it's all done.
June 4, 2013 at 9:07pm   
Brooke Strong
Great! I would love to see it! Glad the move went well.
June 6, 2013 at 3:48pm     
Brooke Strong
Okay Wendy...let's see a few pics!
June 24, 2013 at 3:55pm   
Need Help with my Kitchen exit space to patio!
Help! What do I do with the end corner of our rectangle...
Granite seam MAKING ME ANGRY :( can it be improved?
Just had granite installed today and the seam is pretty...
Arts & Crafts Dining Room Buffet Confusion!
Hi all...I have a 1923 Bungalow. Arts & Crafts but...
Great imagination needed for my family room
We just moved to a new house, my giant brown sectional...