OLLD 4/30
April 30, 2013 in Other
Good morning all! What's happening today?

Yesterday the old thermometer in the backyard hit 102F. Now, that's hot!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 3:50AM
mpoulsom
oh bob....my house is creative in some ways, but prob not enough for houzz...thank you for the compliment though!

well gonna be 77 today, sunny! gotta work of course....lol! low 70's rest of the week. Off friday this week so it'll probably rain! hope not though! :)
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 5:08AM
Is this normally the rainy season for your area, MP?
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 5:15AM
Jayme H.
Happy Day Ladies!! It rained a tiny bit...washed off the dirt!! High of 58 today!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 5:19AM
Jayme, I'll trade you!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 5:24AM
armygirl1987
Good morning from South Florida.Nice 73 right now but going to go walk my dog, she has been pacing the floor.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 5:42AM
Jayme H.
@olldbobbi...What part of CA are you in?
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 5:43AM
armygirl1987
Quick question on recessed lights is proper placement important or that they line up
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 5:45AM
Jayme, I'm in Northern California but we're in the valley. We get a desert like climate - freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer!

Angela - both? From what I can remember they should be six feet apart but don't hold me to that because I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully STK or Ironwood will check in before your electrician shows up. But really, your electrician should know!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 5:52AM
mpoulsom
i would want them to be lined up, but that's just me! (the lights)

we have no normal weather anymore here bob.....it rains all year round...no particular rainly season, like NoCa or Australia!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 5:57AM
armygirl1987
I already have four in there but do not want to over do it because the kitchen is really small
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:00AM
armygirl1987
It is weird because if I line up then it wont be center on the refrigerator. The kitchen has a weird shape to it
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:01AM
armygirl1987
Ceiling
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:05AM
armygirl1987
I hate to do this
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:09AM
Jayme H.
I don't think they all have to line up...I have seen when they do not..
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 6:09AM
armygirl1987
I think it need one it that corner on the right, then another one line up which will put it somewhat over the refrigerator. Then one over the garage door.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:10AM
armygirl1987
I kind of want it center on the refrigerator that is where my battle is.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:11AM
Pkk
Morning from Wisconsin! Mother Nature is playing a very dirty trick on us.......70 degrees last weekend....snow and rain forecast for all week.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 6:18AM
I actually think you could put two over the fridge, at least that's what it looks like from the pic. Who's the guy? Huh?
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 6:20AM
Pkk, snow? Still? You need a vacation!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 6:20AM
kimdee24
Good morning everyone! It's 34F friggin degrees this morning. WTH. But looking like 72F for Sunday! Which is a long way away.

@Angela -- I thought we decided on this already?
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:23AM
armygirl1987
I know kimdee24. But you know how it is second guessing myself.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 6:24AM
kimdee24
Put it where it needs to be, even if it doesn't line up. Trust me, in a year's time, you'll be glad, and you won't be looking up.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:29AM
armygirl1987
Electrician/handyman, he is going to move my picture down also and center the wall unit. I am going with center it on fridge.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:35AM
armygirl1987
Sorry about the weather kimdee but I am going to a different kind of weather in Portland.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:38AM
Robin W
This snow is really putting a damper on my training plans! Anyone know if summer falls on a weekend this year?
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 6:59AM
kimdee24
Yep. One day only. July 27. Make sure you have the day off so you don't miss it. What are you training for?
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:01AM
Robin W
Im running a few races and fundraising runs this summer. Doing Spartan in June and that's gonna be lots of hills, so really really need to get out and start training. I'd feel really bad if I died... But my team is mostly paramedics, so hopefully they'd save me.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:06AM
Robin W
Yay! The 27th is a day off!!!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 7:07AM
kimdee24
Ahhh... running. I'm not allowed to run anymore. My doctors say no. And so do my knees. I guess I'm outvoted!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:13AM
I wish the laundry would stop calling me.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 7:16AM
armygirl1987
That is awesome Robin, my goal right now is trying to get back to my military weight.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:17AM
armygirl1987
I don't mind the laundry what I hate is the folding of the clothes.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:17AM
I like the ironing part, but not so much in this heat.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 7:25AM
Robin W
@kimdee - you mentioned that you have lost some weight - what do you do for cardio with your knees? My cousin is waiting for reconstructive surgery and wants something to do to keep up.

@angela - that's a great goal! I'm cheering for you!!!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 7:31AM
kimdee24
@Robin -- Bike, bike, bike, bike, bike! Biking is the best thing for knees by far. It's "closed chain", builds up the muscles around your knees that help keep them strong, and no pounding on the joint. The day after my ACL reconstruction in Houston, that's the FIRST thing they had me do.
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:40AM
Where's Roo? Sleeping? AGAIN????
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 7:40AM
Kimdee! I didn't know that, thanks!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:41AM
Jayme H.
@kimdee...swimming too?
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 7:43AM
Jayme H.
Oh, now I want to go to the lake, having said that!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 7:43AM
kimdee24
@Jayme -- yes, swimming. But no whip kicks!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:44AM
Jayme H.
Off track per usual...would u ladies do side built-in's/shelving units on both sides of a FP...when on one side the unit would basically be in the doorway entrance? (FP is sitting right near the main entrance door) Literally the door would swing into it? Think it looks wrong.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:45AM
kimdee24
Without seeing it, hard to say, but I'd have to agree it doesn't sound right.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 7:47AM
mpoulsom
jayme, are you talking about a post? i think I saw it, but I'm not seeing the same thing as you I don't think???
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:49AM
Robin W
Not sure if I'd put it on the side with the entrance. I'm all for symmetry, but I'm more about practicality, and it doesn't sound practical.
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:52AM
Jayme H.
@mpoulsom..yes a lady has two bookcases flanking her FP, which is close to door..on one side the bookcase is on the linoleum/tile next to the front door...I guess she is changing the floor to all wood...but it's still right next to the front door on one side...I would remove both bookcases and reassess...Weird placement for the FP...and the bookcases magnify it.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:59AM
Jayme H.
Tried to attach it to no avail...it's called "What should we do with the shelves"
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:08AM
mpoulsom
lemme look and see if it's the same one....maybe not.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:09AM
armygirl1987
I am getting my lights finally so happy.
4 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:12AM
kimdee24
@Jayme -- agreed, it's awkward looking pretty much all around.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 8:13AM
Jayme H.
@kimdee....yes and poster says those units r cheap...Get em out!! Less focus on the assymetry of the FP!!
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:15AM
Hi ladies - a quick check in to say hi! Tomorrow is May 1 and here we ladies all get given (or should receive) tiny bunches of lily of the valley... smell beautiful!!!
4 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:15AM
Jayme H.
or is it asymmetry?...that ass part looks wrong to me.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 8:15AM
mpoulsom
Jayme...this is my opinion about it....I would leave the one on the right and paint it. or leave both and put doors on them....or put doors on the left one by the door. I may be wrong, but this looks like a back door to me, not a front door at all. You sure it's a front door??? and the door opens to the left away from the cabs....hinges are on the left, knob on right.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:16AM
Jayme H.
One S!!!!
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:16AM
Jayme H.
@mpoulsom...idk if it is a front door...looks like a typical rambler style home...??
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:17AM
armygirl1987
One last time I need to lower my picture to 6 inch above the sofa right.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:20AM
Pkk
Yeah...freaking snow in May!! Enough to make me cry.......good thing I found houzz. Has helped to pass the winter and spring......grrr what would you do with a girl who has a "hallway" that has both end open....one side has 14" of wall remaining the other side has 3 or so?? Option 1--ignore as I have been doing. Option2----try and put in a "something" to even out both sides or option 3-------beg husband to rip all the trim off of all of both ends..add 10" of drywall, patch, paint and cut all the trim down and reinstall? I'm sure you know option 3 is probably never going to happen. Why this wasn't addressed when the frames were being cased out I don't know, but it's tarting to make me slightly crazy..........thoughts. Please
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 8:21AM
mpoulsom
Hey ASV!!!!!!!!!!!!! how are ya mama? Busy at work?

Judyg....and anyone else interested....I found a really good pillow person on Etsy yesterday. Think the sellers name is Turquoise Tumbleweed. If anyone needs any pillows. They are not fancy, but the fabrics are all very tasteful...FYI

well, I went to the church of homey depot last night about 9:30pm....couldn't miss The Voice, or much of it. Went to the car and Nala (the cat) jumped in....I of course said, "screw it"....so she rode with me. Pretty funny. When I got back to the car I looked inside to see where she was, so I wouldn't open a door that she could dart out of. Didn't see her. Got in, kind of panicked, thinking she got out when I opened the door first time. Threw my bag in the back seat of the car....calling her, feeling around. nOTHING. Then I feel in the back seat and she is underneath the blanket on the back seat. Of course, right where I threw the bag. lol. She was fine, it was just some door hinges and a small box of solar fence lights, but still. Scared me to death. I'm thinking, Oh lordy, I'll be running around the parking lot trying to find a cat and then everyone will really think I'm nuts.
5 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:23AM
Why would anyone think you're nuts! hehehe
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:26AM
olldroo
Morning all, no Bobbi, I'm not sleeping although at 1.30 AM I should be. At least I can say Good Morning and be correct. Your statement about us having a rainy season is only half correct - we only get the Wet across the Top End and that is when we get our cyclone season too. Actually a cyclone was forming up there yesterday - very late in the season. We are supposed to be getting a bit of rain this week but maybe just coastal, but today really cooled down, any cooler and I would have been in winter clothes again.

Hi Antoinette, haven't seen you for a while. It is already the 1st May here and the lillies of the valley sound a delightful idea.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:27AM
Cyclone = tornado?
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 8:28AM
mpoulsom
re: fireplace shelves prob
That looks like a patio/deck door to me, not a front door at all. ????????? and that room looks like a den which is usually not at the front entry. But what do I know!!!!!!!!! nuttin.
If it's a patio door, I would probably use that left cab for storage. But that's just me. Or leave the bottom part of the cab as a bench and remove the shelves above it. But me, I would store games and things in there.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:28AM
olldroo
Anyone need any English lessons?

Eight Words with two Meanings

1. THINGY (thing-ee) n.
Female...... Any part under a car's hood.
Male..... The strap fastener on a woman's bra.

2. VULNERABLE (vul-ne-ra-bel) adj.
Female.... Fully opening up one's self emotionally to another.
Male.... Playing cricket without a box.

3. COMMUNICATION (ko-myoo-ni-kay-shon) n.
Female... The open sharing of thoughts and feelings with one's partner.
Male... Leaving a note before taking off on a fishing trip with the boys.

4. COMMITMENT (ko-mit-ment) n.
Female.... A desire to get married and raise a family.
Male...... Trying not to hit on other women while out with this one.

5. ENTERTAINMENT (en-ter-tayn-ment) n.
Female.... A good movie, concert, play or book.
Male...... Anything that can be done while drinking beer.

6. FLATULENCE (flach-u-lens) n.
Female.... An embarrassing by product of indigestion.
Male...... A source of entertainment, self-expression, male bonding.

7 MAKING LOVE (may-king luv) n.
Female...... The greatest expression of intimacy a couple can achieve.
Male.. Call it whatever you want, just as long as we do it.

8. REMOTE CONTROL (ri-moht kon-trohl) n.
Female.... A device for changing from one TV channel to another.
Male... A device for scanning through all 375 channels every 5 minutes.

.
8 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:32AM
mpoulsom
hey bob...laughing about the ironing remark. When I was little, my mom ironed EVERYTHING! And she used to let me iron dad's handkerchiefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! How old school is that?!
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:32AM
mpoulsom
hahaha roo!
Are you having fun being alone? your woman vacation of peacefulness and no schedule?
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 8:33AM
olldroo
Bobbi - Cyclone = hurricane = typhoon.

See y'all later, too tired to think any more.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 8:34AM
olldroo
mp, yes I do have a schedule, a very tight one that seems to be getting tigher every day. Still finding so much to do to reorganise here and I want it all done before BH gets back in 4 weeks and LADD arrives in 6.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:36AM
Jayme H.
My Mom used to iron a lot too...she loved it! I run to the dryer ASAP to avoid any chance of having to iron...also look at labels to prevent myself from buying anything that would wrinkle too much!!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 8:41AM
Jayme H.
@mpoulsom..I was thinking a bench like unit too on that door side...maybe a unit on other side...well..we'll see what she does!!
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:42AM
MP! Me too! Handerkchiefs and non-permapress shirts! But it was good because it was always freezing in my mother's house so the ironing warmed me up. And I used spray starch, so every time I'd spray the cat would jump a mile!

Roo, thanks for the lesson. Now go to bed! You're cranky. Well, a little bit.....
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:43AM
One job! You had only one job!
5 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:45AM
Jayme H.
@mpoulsom...I watched the Voice last night!! Adam's team is pretty strong!! Hey..I drove to the store with my cat underneath my car one time..I heard meowing and he jumped out!! Naughty kitty was lucky!!
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:46AM
mpoulsom
yes that kitty was lucky...wow! My nala is very funny. If there is an open door or an opening, she's in there. AND she can open doors too. She's awesome! She got locked up in the garden shack one day though and it was 6000 degrees outside that day...poor baby. Finally saw her sitting in the window early evening.

Yes bob, the spray starch! I love that stuff! lol!

and roo....sorry you are under so much pressure. I thought maybe you would get to relax a little while BH was away....but I love being by myself. I do what I want when I want....heaven!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:51AM
mpoulsom
and yes, adam's team is really good. but most everyone on the voice is really good in general. they blow my mind just how talented they are in their own ways. Love that show. Usually gives me chills. That's when I know somebody is really talented!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:53AM
mpoulsom
The Voice and Celebrity Apprentice are the only 2 shows on tv that I try not to miss. The others, I don't mind seeing a rerun of. The thing I like about celebrity apprentice is that you can get a pretty good idea about their real personalities....things you would never see or know about them ordinarily. Very interesting psychologically to me.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:55AM
Jayme H.
Did u see Gary Busey get fired? I think he needs a reality show!! He is on "Hoda & Kathie Lee" right now...
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:58AM
Jayme H.
@mpoulsom..I wonder sometimes if Adam is hitting on the chicks he chooses? Maybe just my warped mind!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 9:08AM
mpoulsom
yea...i have always enjoyed the Gary...but last sunday, he was really whacked and just wrong! Flat out lied! I was shocked! and disappointed!
adam...well, i think he really loves women. i think he's a romantic to tell you the truth, not a player. just the vibe I get. ?
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:20AM
pattyag
Hi-ya!... Mid to upper 50's here today... Sun is out, but still a bit chilly...

The guy e-mailed me this morning and said someone is suppost to pick up the piano this morning :-*(
Sure with I someone to help me with loading stuff other than my hubby and son... They can't do it until the weekend... Oh well... the search goes on..

I think the old back up singer for Michael Jacson is going to take the Voice... Could be wrong, but she seems to be the strongest to me...

Gary Busey is a strange man... I am not sure he could handle a reality show... But it would be interesting..
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:22AM
I have to share a recipe I made for CP last night.

Purdue seasoned chix thighs/Chitpotle flavor

1 box of farfalle cooked half the recommended time.

1 cup each of white wine and chix broth.

1 pint grape tomatoes.

Put semi-cooked, drained pasta in a 9 x 12 baking pan. Pour over broth/wine. Nestle in the 4 chix thighs, skin up. Place tomatoes around the chix.

Sprinkle the thighs with some black pepper and grated Italian cheese.

Bake uncovered 375* for 45 minutes.

Try it. I made up the recipe myself.
4 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:23AM
pattyag
judyg that looks really good! Creative at cooking too?...
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:26AM
Jayme H.
Yum! OHH Judy...I am now having visions of making my homemade pasta sauce...no tomatoes from garden yet..may have to go get some!!!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:28AM
Jayme H.
Uh ohh...the "what to do with these shelves"...is evolving into suggestions to tear down walls now!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:34AM
mpoulsom
I have one tomato plant and 2 basil plants ready to be planted! Cannot wait. Especially for the basil. Mine got huge last year, so hoping for the same result this year. I use the heck out of that stuff! I use it in place of lettuce on sandwiches...everything!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:38AM
mpoulsom
That's why I'm staying out of that discussion. lol! I had a bad feeling!

check out these shower curtains I found... :)

I must get these ketchup and mustard bottles...these are so me! :)
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:40AM
armygirl1987
Hi, all and in my Bruce Willis voice-Hippie .....motherf. My lights are up, couldn't line up due to wood in ceiling so I couldn't get another on the right to make it three. I made him center the one over fridge and the two on pathway from kitchen to garage.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:46AM
armygirl1987
Recessed lights done for now until I redo the breakfast nook. I was happy until he gave me the bill. Anyway happy with the results.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 9:46AM
armygirl1987
I got some shopping to do, forgot bulbs and the recessed covers, plus cover up the holes where lights were. But all in all, yay or did I say that already.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:48AM
armygirl1987
I also made him lower the picture and center the wall unit.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 9:48AM
Robin W
Hooray! Looks good!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 9:48AM
armygirl1987
Forgot pics
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 9:49AM
Jayme H.
Coming along very nicely!!!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 9:53AM
armygirl1987
Thanks Jayme. Now if I can hurry up and get this computer desk that I order I can be finish with this area and then move unto my bedroom and breakfast nook. Lord they keep coming don't they.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 10:01AM
Robin W
Well, off to Home Depot or Rona (can't decide which) to find a replacement kitchen faucet and some peel'n'stick tiles for the back entry.

I've never done plumbing before so this should be interesting. Hopefully I won't drown :)
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 10:24AM
armygirl1987
Well guys going to get of here and go get ready for my trip. Have a blessed day all. Will check in soon
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 10:37AM
Linda
Robin - voice of experience here says excellent opportunity to combine fixing plumbing with washing the kitchen floor.

When my partner and I worked on the plumbing in my kitchen, we had to replace the shutoff valve for the kitchen faucet. Neither of us paid much attention and we ended up leaving it in the on position and turning the water back on to the house...oh well, the floor was dirty anyhow...
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 11:08AM
astraea
Just stopped by to check out the new dilemmas. What is it with people, that they'll post a question online, when it would be so much better to just get up off their ... and go to a store, to check something out?! Sit in a bunch of chairs .. then you know the one YOU feel most comfortable with! Sit at a table & see how much room people need to get in & out, whether the table is fixed or the banquette is! Go to the paint store & look at a million sample colors and/or wall paper designs. LOOK FOR YOURSELF, ASK THE STORE OWNER QUESTIONS.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 11:12AM
Jayme H.
@astraea...I have found that some people are passive...others are self starters..sometimes they need a nudge...sometimes they need a bull dozer!! LOL
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 11:30AM
Jayme H.
A birdie flew into my window...went and checked on him..he was the strangest looking thing...almost a varigated black and white..don't know what he was..but he flew off!! Only stunned, thankfully.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 11:35AM
astraea
@Jayme - It just seems so incredibly lazy; don't you know what you like better than a bunch of strangers on the internet? Know your budget & space better? Know how you & your family live better .. formal, casual, etc.? So how practical is it to show 2 pieces of furniture, and ask which one is "better" .. better for whom?!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 11:40AM
astraea
I prepared sugar water for the hummingbirds today, but there were so many other birds on the feeder, I didn't want to frighten them off .. I'll put the hummer feeder out later.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 11:40AM
Jayme H.
@astraea...Sometimes I think people have trouble visualizing things...and also some truly have no clue how to begin a project, how to find colors that work, etc. When I was in my 20's I was fairly clueless..but I did seek out things.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 12:15PM
mousemaker
Astraea, did your birds train you? mine seem to think I work for them. they make all kinds of noise until I go outside to fill their feeders and birdbath, then they are quiet. I put out netted bag of dryer lint for them to use for their nests too. I am so well trained!!! :)
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 12:30PM
mousemaker
book group last night and no one care that my house wasn't spotless!! we had a nice time and it just didn't matter that I didn't dust very well :)
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 12:31PM
astraea
mousemaker - Birds are amazing; I used to think it was just the bird store's sales pitch, to sell suet .. but I put it out, and the woodpeckers started to come. I never saw a hummingbird either, but I put a feeder out, and occasionally they show up too. Here, I began to see a hummer regularly at the end of the day. That was also when the rest of the seed was gone, and no one else was at the feeders. Expensive hobby!!

@Jayme - I think you're too kind; I think a lot of people are LAZY. How can you tell how comfortable a chair or couch is, without actually sitting on it? How can you tell quality, without looking behind, underneath & pulling draws out? It takes a little effort, and some people just want someone else to tell them what to do.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 12:34PM
Jayme H.
The hummingbirds love my honeysuckle...which has devoured the obelisk that is supporting it!!
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 12:35PM
mpoulsom
Astraea...some people want to know what color or pattern is better I think....
and I know it annoys you as far as the original poster is concerned, but my problem is with the posters answering the questions afterwards, who do not read ANY details or comments previously.
And the people who just get on there and are trying to sell their crap, also never having read the original question to begin with.
Some poor girl on a tight tight budget wanting to know about a couch and low and behold....there is some twit trying to sell their art.....number one, wasn't the question, number two has no money for furniture hardly. I think art may be later in the grand scheme of things. Ask about trim colors on a house and suddenly a poster says nothing about trim colors that may work, but says they need a curvy sidewalk and flowers planted along the side of it! Makes me want to scream too sometimes. Trust me!
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 12:36PM
mousemaker, what was the book?
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 12:39PM
mpoulsom
I only have one hummingbird feeder but the red colored sugar water fades so fast! I'm going to have to do something else I guess. I have a terracotta bird house that's shaped like a fat bird! I have birds there this year!! I'm so happy. AND I saw another birdhouse at Marshall's that I want BADLY!!!! It's turquoise ceramic and I LOVE IT! Bird feeders outside kitchen window that is a constant area of activity. Even Dali is enjoying watching them! :) Oh yea forgot to tell you guys....she now wants to sit in the barstool all the time now so she can see out the window and act like a human.
I have 2 other birdfeeders in the backyard as well hanging from trees. And then the natural birdfeeder, the big fig tree!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 12:41PM
astraea
MP - do you buy the nectar for them? I make it myself .. 4 cups water to 1 cup sugar. Aren't birds just so nice to have?!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 1:04PM
busylady1
ASV I have some Lily of the Valley just ready to put into plant pots this weekend! Such a lovely smell. It was my mothers favourite flower and reminds me of her.
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 1:15PM
kimdee24
I love honeysuckle. I had a huge one that crawled up the side of my deck lattice in the other house but I lost it when we tore the deck down and rebuilt it. It just never grew the same on the opposite fence.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 1:17PM
Hi busylady - love lily of the valley and will be getting some tomorrow (by hook or by crook) ... more likely by crook!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 1:19PM
mpoulsom
Astraea, I have some left that came as a gift with my feeder still....Do you put red food coloring in it to attract them, or is your feeder red? My feeder is glass and beautiful, but clear with a few bits of color. Not much to attract them except for the red in the sugar water. :(
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 1:25PM
astraea
MP - They actually tell you not to put any food color into them. It's the top shell that's red, sometimes with yellow "flowers" around the holes. Sometimes I think those pretty glass ones aren't as practical; imagine if it fell!
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 1:35PM
astraea
Mine is a cheap plastic thing.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 1:35PM
mousemaker
the hummingbirds love certain plants too, as do butterflies..that's great you feed them!!!
oh lily of the valley!! sorry to say I dug up a bunch of it last year because it was overtaking everything!!! it was rampant!!! I gave several buckets away!
my mother loved it too, busy lady..oh the sweet memories of our mothers. I got a big one today..unexpected..
judyg, the book was Cutting for Stone, it's about Ethiopia. a wonderful read. I recommend it. I have not wept reading a book in many years. I read a great deal of Holocaust material and I don't cry somehow, I read it with a certain mind set so that I can learn and not be swallowed up.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 1:57PM
Robin W
Made it home and boy did my debit card get a workout. Lol! Kitchen faucet, trim for the stairs (hopefully), a pair of sweats (who knew it'd be hard to find a pair of sweats in April), a few things from Costco, and a few other misc stuff. But I forgot to eat. :(
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 2:02PM
kimdee24
@Robin -- Uh oh. Gotta eat. I forget too sometimes. Sounds like a successful shopping trip!

@Eztia -- sounds lovely! If I can find a place for a honeysuckle in my new yard, I will definitely keep your fence in mind. Thanks for the idea!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 2:10PM
astraea
mousemaker - lily of the valley also brings back memories for me! We didn't have any gardeners in my family, but the irises & lily of the valley grew wild and smelled so nice!! When we moved to NJ, Mom uprooted some of the irises, and replanted them at her house, and then gave me a few when I moved out on my own.

I wish I could have that mindset for Holocaust material; I need to bring sunglasses with me, when I go to a live program!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 2:13PM
kimdee24
Uh oh. I think I might really love this a little bit. But yumpin' yiminy, it's spendy. I would need one this big, but still...

Buena Vista Residence 1
Buena Vista Residence 2
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 2:33PM
mousemaker
oh Astraea..don't make me cry! I love irises too. my mother gave me some crocus that come up every year as if I needed a reminder, you know?
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 2:33PM
mpoulsom
my mother gave me nothing! i don't even think she likes me to be honest...the more i'm thinking about it. how horrible is that!? and mother's day is coming up!!! oh boy!

kimdee the light fixture is pretty...but there are sooooo many cool ones out there! I actually just saw one that made me think of you. very cool...modernlights2011 on ebay has a pretty good selection of modern chandeliers. Or just type in modern chandeliers on ebay and take a lookey!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 2:45PM
kimdee24
@mpoulsom -- I will look, thanks for the lead!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 2:54PM
armygirl1987
Well my crew on my way to the airport. Wish me safe travels
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 3:05PM
mpoulsom
safe travels friend!!!!!!!!!! let us know when you get there! :)
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 3:09PM
olldroo
Morning all. Sorry if I sounded cranky last night, I wasn't really, I just have a habit when I am really tired of trying to talk in shorthand, so I guess it comes across a bit abrupt.

Where is Angela off to??

Talking about lights - remember those floral lights I got for the lounge room with the 388 pieces that required "some" assembly but I needed two boxes to get enough pieces for one light? Can't believe it but the store is still advertising and selling them!!!

mp - I have a terrible habit of getting very enthusiastic about doing things, always have heaps of ideas, but never think about the time it takes to actually get anything done, to the point I totally overwhelm myself - so once again I just want to get so much done before DD arrives to show all the renovations at their absolute best but the time is just flying by. I'm just nibbling away and hoping I will wake up one morning and find I just have final touches to put to things and it WILL be all done.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 4:46PM
olldroo
Is it ok feeding the birds sugar water? That is a big no-no here. Many years ago a Bird Sanctuary in Queensland set out plates of bread soaked in honey and water for people to feed the lorikeets so everyone then started feeding any native birds with this but they discovered it led to a lot if debilitating dietary problems in the birds and they were developing physical deformities from it so this sort of feeding is banned. There is a huge difference between sugar and nectar because of the way sugar is processed.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 4:53PM
olldroo
Astraea - I wonder how much websites like this and glossy decorating mags contribute to people's uncertainty about decorating. You even see and hear decorators and designers quote "rules" - who actually made up the "rules". All the staging you see is definitely geared for impact and not necessarily geared for comfort, practicality or actual living, but people don't seem to stop and think about that. If "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", then anything and everything is beautiful to the person who loves it and happily lives with it. I really feel so many of the dilemmas are caused by people trying to be "correct" with their decorating because of things they have seen, heard or read but the problem is they have no idea what "correct" is let alone what they want to achieve or how to achieve it. It is like people are becoming confused because of TOO much information and wanting to do the right thing to impress others rather than themselves.

I was looking through a magazine yesterday, that showed one room (a lounge with dining adjoining) decorated 4 different ways using furniture and furnishings from
a large furniture department store,
a more upmarket Ikea type store,
K-Mart
and a designer made to measure outlet.

The upmarket Ikea one appealed to me the most, it was very homely and comfortable looking, but the K-Mart one really surprised. The room was done in terracotta, soft yellow and cream but they had taken some leopard print throws and made swags by draping them over the curtain rods with rich cream curtains, a matching throw on one lounge and a couple of leopard print cushions, and quite a few indoor plants tied it all in. This is the sort of thing it would be great to see on Houzz but of course they only have photos of actual homes so can't play around like this.
5 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 5:20PM
kimdee24
Well, that was fun! The builder brought some people over to see my house, since they don't have a show home built. It was kind of nice to have people come through and comment on the way the house is looking so far. Makes me feel like I'm on the right track...!
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:11PM
olldroo
I hope you have asked for a commission!!!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:42PM
kimdee24
Haha! I should! But I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a gift. There are a set of three sculpture things I've admired in the other showhome and I think they'll be mine before they bug out of here!
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:47PM
kimdee24
Yeah, they're going to be coming around looking for missing bits and pieces from all the houses along the lake in the next few days. I've added it to my list of fix-its so I don't forget about it.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 8:38PM
mousemaker
i have the hummingbird mixture recipe if that helps?
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
bring water to a rolling boil. take off heat and cool. fill feeder when cool. no food coloring, not good for birds.
2 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 8:07AM
mousemaker
I agree olldroo, that's why I don't look at those magazines :) after all, we need to live in our homes. they aren't showpieces. they are homes, right?
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 8:08AM
kimdee24
When my builder's sales rep announced last night that I am now in charge of decorating their next showhome, I realized I need to get some personalization into my house.... erf.
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 8:17AM
mpoulsom
hey gals...jayme opened up today's post under design dilemma instead of other...fyi olld 5-1-13

not sure if she can delete it and start over in other or not? BUT...today is her 47th bday...so wishes to her please over yonder!! :)
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 8:21AM
mpoulsom
well kimdee...don't take it like that entirely...everything looks in very good taste to me in your crib! but yes...DO put some personal photos in some of the frames! ha! It's a compliment that you are so neat and clean and tidy too! I love the way my house looks, but it def looks like someone lives there! not the best suzy homemaker!
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 8:23AM
mpoulsom
and in my defense.....i do have a puppy right now..who finds paper towels or catalogs or anything paper she can find and shreds it in a matter of seconds. I don't even know where she gets half of it.
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 8:25AM
kimdee24
Oh! I was wondering where everyone was this morning!

mpoulsom -- Thanks! I do have stacks of frames I've yet to fill with... something! I'll get to it eventually. And I've got some very old pen and ink lettering work that my great aunt did in the 1930s... its very cool, so we're going to make a gallery out of that and some of my work, and some other things that are typographical. It'll look great, when I get around to it.

There is only me and the dog, so it's pretty easy for me to keep things tidy. I was never much of a bed maker before... but now that the master is on the main floor and visible from the main hall, I have to do it every day.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 8:28AM
mousemaker
i like getting into a fixed bed at night. it makes me feel civilized :)
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 12:20PM
mousemaker
happy birthday to jayme!!!
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 12:20PM
mousemaker
mpoulsom, I agree about the postings where others seem to post without reading the previous ones. I post suggestions and then other people post the same things after me! not that I know everything :)
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 12:22PM
Jayme H.
Sorry I didn't know to put it under "Other"...:(
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 12:41PM
kimdee24
No worries! I was just feeling lonely without my new Olld friends :)
2 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 12:58PM
mpoulsom
no worries jayme ..... prob a good thing it happened, in case anyone else ever wants to start off the day. Whoever is up first, can start it. Those are the rules, if you call those rules??!!! :)
Everyone will know now that it's in "Other"....just so we don't bug people with a design dilemma or people seeking to help others. You know what I mean I'm sure. And I say, go look at the boat! Looks fun!
2 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 2:05PM
astraea
Roo – Sorry I’m getting to Houzz so late .. the old “day late & dollar short”! I have held my tongue a couple of times, both with professionals & the wannabes; wanted to ask who died & left them in charge .. “God of Decorating”! I don’t pretend to be a good decorator at all, but if someone can explain why things do or don’t look right together, I’m certainly open to learn. “Because I say so & I’m a professional” doesn’t impress me as an “explanation”!

I’ve seen articles like that in specialty magazines, where they’ll show a kitchen renovation, at 2 or 3 different budget ranges. All of them look great, but one may have fully custom cabinets & high-end appliances & finishes, while the others have more stock & mid-line items. It just proves that you can have a beautiful room at ¼ the cost of the top-of-the-line one (which is probably the one featured on Houzz).

Mousemaker’s recipe for sugar water is right .. 4 to 1 ratio of water to sugar; I made 6 cups of water the other day, because you’re also supposed to replace it & wash the feeder out every 4 or so days.

Jayme – Happy birthday!!

I was out of the house early today, for a spring service of my car, and then I didn’t get back online until a little while ago.
2 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 2:35PM
mousemaker
I was just going to go out and plant some stuff and what??? it's RAINING!! oh well, at least it isn't snow lol.
this way I don't have to water all the other things I just planted, right? but it's dark and wet and cold today..
I posted before but my post didn't post.
1 Like   May 2, 2013 at 12:21PM
OLLD 4/4
Good morning ladies and gents No open 4/4, so I'm...
OLLD 5-30
Any news to share OLLDS?
Jayme H.
OLLD 9/30
Well.......it's another gray and overcast misty day...
S. Thomas Kutch
OLLD 6/30
Morning OLLD's! It is 3:40 in the AM and our temps...
OLLD 7/30
What "colorful" activity do you have planned for today?...
nasmijati
Log cabin living room furniture and placement
I would love to lighten the heavy look of leather furniture...
dianeckraus846
Need Help Finding An Area Rug to Match My Brown Furniture in My Living/Family Room!
I'm in the process of re-modeling my living room but...
crazyaboutchristmas
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Help my kitchen
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them
4tocome
Make and model of this light?
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows the make and model...
slang7