Insulting vaulted ceiling on heated all season room
Kws
Currently have knotty pine between exposed beams and will add insulation b et ween beams..
I thought it was swearing at you non-stop! Whew!!
Do you plan to close and hide the beams altogether?
What is your real dilemma (now that we know your beams are well behaved!)
April 30, 2013 at 8:03AM     
Kws
Meant insulating...not insulting!!...breadboard or Sheetrock to cover current beams partially or totally?
April 30, 2013 at 8:05AM   
Kws
Love our walls and wonder whether breadboard or Sheetrock complements best??
April 30, 2013 at 11:18AM   
Designing Richmond
You have plenty of room to add insulation and preserve the beam look! Lucky you! You only need a few inches exposed to give the beam look... can even paint to just add texture if you're not opposed to paint... Some love painted wood others think it's sacrilege!
April 30, 2013 at 11:52AM   
onthefence
My personal choice would be to insulate between the beams then sheetrock over that. I wouldn't cover any more of the beam than you absolutely have to!

I do like beadboard ceilings - but I think the pattern and texture competes a bit with your wall.
April 30, 2013 at 11:56AM     
Ed
kws, very catchy thread title! :)
April 30, 2013 at 12:37PM   
Brenda
you're seriously going to cover up those pretty ceilings?
April 30, 2013 at 12:41PM   
Kws
No insulation in ceiling..64 degrees outside and 91 degrees inside in April!!
April 30, 2013 at 12:59PM     
onthefence
BTW - check with your power company to see if there are any rebates for installing insulation.
April 30, 2013 at 1:02PM   
Ironwood Builders
kws01, If you insulate a cathedral ceiling without any ventilation you can rot out your roof in a few years by trapping moisture in the insulation...done wrong. Done correctly a "hot" roof will last as long as any other roof. We use spray foam insulation to fill the rafter bays completely...absolutely no voids. Any air in the area of the insulation becomes a trap for the water vapor traveling through the roof/ceiling system and that vapor then becomes water as the dew point moves through the roof during the course of the day. I recommend using a contractor familiar with this issue and willing to detail the ceiling to avoid pitfalls. Best of luck!
April 30, 2013 at 9:33PM   
Ironwood Builders
One other thought..the heat gain you are talking about above can be from solar heat gain through the windows and from heat gain from the roof. A radiant panel deck on the roof will reduce the solar heat gain through the roof as well. Consider re-roofing and adding radiant panel decking.
April 30, 2013 at 9:36PM   
Kws
Much appreciated.....fully aware of vapor and need for soffits....will go with same knotty pine and stain to keep wood look just without beams and need good skylight black out, reflective blinds for the 42X42 non-opening type skylights..
May 1, 2013 at 4:04AM   
Kws
Decided to have contractor add soffits, thermal barrier internal and r-30 insulation, close skylights and cover ceiling with knotty pine breadboard...still wondering if room will be useable in 85 degree days...any calculation or equation out there ?
May 19, 2013 at 3:46AM   
Kws
Was 90 outside air...and with house AC central at 72 on 2nd floor of the house...newly insulated room was around 74 with benefit of a fan...will close up insulation this week with pine boards...and report again after the closing is completed.....so far so good...habitable on worst heat day of the year in Connecticut..
June 2, 2013 at 5:01PM   
Kws
With 96 degree days here in CT, the room is working fine with house AC at 72 and ceiling fan, and skylight removed....so insulation was key to have room holding at 78 in really tough outside temps...
July 20, 2013 at 7:34AM   
patterned rug vs. plain
I am slowly getting my house back together after having...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Kitchen ideals
What could I do to update this kitchen?
Need help please! Family room and kitchen
I want to update my family room with color and decorations....
Need Help with Kitchen Design
We are remodeling the kitchen & adjacent living room(eventually...