Counter height vs. standard height seating for kitchen
laurenapplegate
I have a small L-shaped kitchen as part of a large loft-style living space. I'm buying a kitchen table and deciding between a counter-height table vs. standard. There is only room for one table. Any thoughts on counter height tables as the only seating space for kitchen/dining? Thanks!
Ed
Hi Lauren, I'd say standard. Which height is the more comfortable for you when you're dining at the table ? If possible, see if you can visit furniture stores, or, your friends' homes, and sit at the two different height -- better yet, have a meal on both heights and see which one you like better.
April 30, 2013 at 4:09pm   
A Crew of Two
I think it depends on who is sitting there. Children and elderly will not find it comfortable. If you choose a chair with a back it can be comfortable. I would say most guests prefer a standard table for formal eating.
April 30, 2013 at 4:17pm   
laurenapplegate
Thanks, Ed. For dining, I agree standard is more comfortable. But, I don't have much counter space so I think the additional space would be good. Also, not sure a large standard table looks great in the middle of an l-shaped kitchen. Any advice much appreciated!
April 30, 2013 at 4:19pm   
0825sam
If its in the middle like an island then I would do counter height especially for the extra prep space.
April 30, 2013 at 4:24pm   
0825sam
April 30, 2013 at 4:25pm   
Ed
Hi Lauren, if space is a very big limiting factor, and if both heights are equally important to you, maybe you can have a table custom built, and make it adjustable. Some tables have the fold-out and can expand from 6 seats to 8. Maybe your custom table can adjust its height between standard, counter-height, and others ? :)
April 30, 2013 at 4:38pm   
help..!
Im looking for a modern but layed back teenage look...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Yard advice
Hello, I am trying to sell my house but my yard and...
Wall color and advise on tiny house
As you can see I live in a tiny house, with an open...
To what extent can you mix old and new?
I've grown up with antique furniture all my life, and...