kriccard
I just moved in, and am looking for two arm chairs to pair in the far right of this photo. I don't know what style would be best?

Also, should they be placed perpendicular to the couch and then push the coffee table out more? Or, should I create a nook with the two chairs in the far corner of the room?

Help would be great!!
bepsf
Personally, I'd place them flanking the fireplace - Not every piece of seating has to face the TV.
August 1, 2011 at 10:03am   
kriccard
Yes, I wish I could do that. Alas it is hard to tell but the near end of the fireplace actually almost lines up with the near end of the couch. The couch is not centered over the fireplace because there is a door edge of the couch and the near end of the fireplace. Then lots of space on the far end of the fire place. A tough space I know..
August 1, 2011 at 10:36am   
mousemaker
how about a giant chair with an ottoman--a chair and a half? and a reading lamp? and then the other side could be a smaller occasional chair..
August 1, 2011 at 11:06am   
JaredViar
consider floating the sofa back facing the window's, oblong or on an angle,
then face opposite the two chairs, with a very plush pile rug, find a nice
sofa table too place behind sofa, add lamps ,vases , decorative objects.
or replace the sofa with a luxury of a chaise daybed with low arms , float
some art or a double chandelier, a few more pictures of room with longview
wide angle would help, also tape out the measured width's & tape painters
tape too the floor before & see how its looks or use old cardboard cut out
too lay out on the floor see how it flows & if you like the lay out , good luck
The Design Guy! Jared V.
August 1, 2011 at 11:06am   
Kevin Gray Interiors
From your picture, I sense that your apartment get s a lot of light through those windows. If this is something that initially attracted you to buy/rent this home in the first place, ensure that what you do avoids blocking too much of the light. Light is a precious commodity in apartment living! To maintain a sense of openness and light, find a pair of matching chairs which are visually lighter in scale and appearance, and which will let more light through. I suggest something similar in style to the images I have enclosed.
I also agree with Jared with regards to taping things out on the floor prior to making any purchases. This will save you time, stress and money in the end of the day!
August 1, 2011 at 1:51pm   
debb v
I really like the look of the wood and leather chair Kevin posted. If you're looking for something in wood with arms like this that is really inexpensive Overstock has a lot to look at. I've been looking for a pair of chairs for a year and still can't decide. I think it's important in a small space to have some chairs that can be moved around and used in different rooms.
August 1, 2011 at 1:58pm   
kriccard
Yes, I agree with everything that has been said. We really want to show off our light and our views. However, I want something to keep our eye attracted to the interior / our furniture as well, so that you don't just look past the entire room. I think the green fabric and wood chairs are excellent.
August 1, 2011 at 2:04pm   
mousemaker
sorry. i thought you were looking for a gazingoutthewindowchair...which made me think of the large chair and a half. i realize it would take up space, but it seemed perfect for the window.
August 1, 2011 at 2:08pm   
JaredViar
some more idea's! your nook thoughts are a nice seasonal rotation option,
more thoughts are a large mirror on that far left corner too reflect more of that great window light & give the room even larger feel, use some
full multi layered dupone silk textured drapes, in that left corner over that
pillar support wall, with a matching set on fire side corner, find some
old vintage open window pane frame float behind the sofa if you place
on horizontal or angles on either side of the fire place, make behind that
a full buildin along windows a low banquette or lounge benches with nice
custom cushion's that coordinate the pillow & drapery fabric's, look for
on that left facing wallart.com has incredible focal points & mix in some
random mirrors or overscaled multi colored art work, repot the snake plants in a larger elevated planter urn, oh the option's are endless
Kevin's idea's are really clever & keep thing open & flowing! make it work
for your daily needs, splurge on a few luxury items that give some glamour
add some mercury balls, or pedalstals or lamps that reflect , keep the vision
& edit what really is not needed. Create a wonderful Design! Jared The Design Guy!
August 1, 2011 at 2:23pm   
Lisa Lornie
August 9, 2011 at 3:27pm   
jbell429
I have been loving this chair from c and b and think it would work well in this space. You still get a substantial piece while not blocking the wonderful light from your windows. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/furniture/chairs/ankara-chair-with-fennel-cushion/s176594

Perhaps add some texture or color with a simple garden stool type table in between the chairs-- there are so many to choose from now.

It is hard to see the couch and other furniture style and colors, but I think it will look inviting.
August 12, 2011 at 6:55pm   
jbell429
maybe a rug to pull it all together?
August 12, 2011 at 6:57pm   
Does this entryway look complete?
Hi. I have been toying with my entryway set up and...
Choppy co-oop floor plan
How do you design living room given small space and...
What do you guys think about the pattern placement of granite on this
I picked out this granite and it just installed couple...
Ugly bed dilemma
My in-laws gave us their old bed frame to use in our...
Driveway appeal
I just finished pressure watching my driveway and would...