Help! The previous owners left this arrangement on the foyer ledge!
linhines
I'd like to get rid of the flower arrangement. What else can I put on this ledge?
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Anything but that (sorry) it's not very exciting -
Layer baskets, vases - even an easel with a painting.
- play with a grouping of things (should be minimum of 3 items to a maximum of 7 items) in my estimation of the space.
You've got a good size/ space here - use your imagination:
-place a gorgeous old antique chair, with a knitting basket, and then a knitting project draped over the chair as a vignette on a ledge - or
- find an old half mannequin, dress her/him to your style-taste in flea market finds - or
- add stacks of baskets for texture, and place a silk fern
Whatever you do - do it big, purposeful and with your personality in mind - and have fun with it!
April 30, 2013 at 8:36PM     
linhines
I love your ideas! Thank you. I'll play with some stuff. Yes, need to get rid of that!
April 30, 2013 at 8:54PM     
pattiegoode
Can you post more pix to give an overall perspective of how the space is viewed? That would help. I can't tell what that is on the left wall.
April 30, 2013 at 9:07PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
A pair of large pottery pieces in small and large with some dried sticks in them would give some height to the area. Then add a 3rd item like a stack of wicker boxes. A larger photo of the area would help
April 30, 2013 at 11:27PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Maybe some curtains on the window.
April 30, 2013 at 11:28PM   
What a waste of space! I'd try to make it useful. Little shelves for a "corner' library for books? Shelves for your video movie collection? A "pet" condo if you have cats or or dog bed? A water feature and a zen garden? Or even just a place for purses and coats for guests. Something useful...
May 1, 2013 at 12:01AM     
pattiegoode
Darzy, did I misunderstand? I assumed this was at a high window - sort of like a huge windowsill but out of reach. linhines, will you clarify for me, please? TY!
May 1, 2013 at 12:25AM   
linhines
This ledge is a very high and out of reach. Not easy access.... The width of the ledge is about 5 feet, with 4 feet depth.
Kevin, what sort of curtains were you thinking?
May 1, 2013 at 9:33AM   
Decor Team
For this type of windows the best window-treatment will be Roman Blind (or other from the 'family': Soft Roman Blind, Austrian, Londonian etc.). Pleat Curtains would lose their effect on such narrow and short niche, but roman blind will fit beautifully and will allow a nice amount of light penetrating and 'warming' this space. If you think you're going to use this curtain, you might consider a motorized track which will make your life easier because of the reach-difficulty, but it will be great as a static Roman Blind and it will be also nicer on the budget.
May 1, 2013 at 10:29AM     
A Crew of Two
I would first redo it with wood or maybe some tile to give it a better look. Then add a wrought iron insert look to the window. A vase, large candle holder or plant. French Country Estate Chick Residence Mediterranean Living Room
May 1, 2013 at 10:41AM     
Alfieri Design
For me, form follows function...What kind of space do you need? Do you have a pet or child? What part of the house is this? A lot of questions need to be answered before you design a space....think of it as a small room or Inglenook. A window seat or cuddle nook is a great place to capture the light and meditate, read or just sit and relax...what's underneath this window? If you remove the nook, can you build something else in or just set a piece of furniture?
May 1, 2013 at 10:50AM     
leelee
At least one live vine that can cascade down would be easy cheap and attractive
May 1, 2013 at 11:01AM   
pattiegoode
Everyone, It's not at floor level. This is a raised space; that's why linhines called it a "ledge." I do like the idea of adding a piece at the wall, like the iron work posted by Kelly. I think the mistake happened when the previous owners treated this space like a floor, which it is not. Consider removing the shoe molding/ trim and carpet. Just paint everything out with your wall color. Doing that alone will help, and you may decide that you don't want any objects to live there. If you don't want to paint out the trim, consider painting only the "wall" and window trim where the window is in your pic. You will be amazed at how much difference that will make! More pix really would help us to help you!
May 1, 2013 at 11:19AM     
mpoulsom
You could replace that window with a piece of stained glass or something pretty like that. What does the rest of your decor look like in the house style wise? You could also put a standing screen of some sort there as well with a light behind it. I see a plug up there. Just put a timer on it.
May 1, 2013 at 11:23AM     
carolins
I see that you have a power point up there, I would paint the trim around the window and the floor white and put one or more lamps up there. Not just any lamp, but an interesting design. Depending on your style, you can go for something really modern or... not.
You could put it on a timer (easier than climbing up a ladder every night to turn the lights on).

Polly Floor Lamp
Solis Floor Lamp by Pablo
Lace Tower Lamp
Punched Tin Rustic Lantern
May 1, 2013 at 11:24AM     
mpoulsom
]
regular folding screen pictured, but there are many designs out there...including artistic ones. You could even cover one in fabric of your choice....put a big piece of pottery/urn in front of it to one side.

If you like the stained glass idea, you could paint all the trim up there as carolins suggested and hang a piece of glass from the ceiling up there on chains. Light in the daytime would show through it and a light at night would show through it making it a pretty focal point.
May 1, 2013 at 11:35AM   
linhines
Here are more photos from different angles. A timer idea is great! Also, like the screen/room divider too. We are changing it out to hardwood too. (Color of hardwood yet to be determined, based on what rest of house will be).
May 1, 2013 at 11:54AM   
mpoulsom
]

wooden carved screen where some light would show through...you could also use 2 doors hinged together.
May 1, 2013 at 12:02PM   
Genevieve
A good spot to set up a nice Christmas tree :) for the meantime you could get a large ornamental piece from the garden centre http://www.gardenvisit.com/assets/madge/192/garden_ornaments_buddha/original/garden_ornaments_buddha_original.jpg

or
http://www.vahistorical.org/img/research/carouselhorse02a.jpg
May 1, 2013 at 12:13PM     
margietalk
i would make the whole outer wall glass and find a huge glass scupture or metal ring or something with beautiful lines yet amorphous. period. the existing window implies a living space, which you could go thru contortions to achieve but why? here is perfect space to exhibit art.....becuz you can.....
May 1, 2013 at 3:44PM     
ohhhh I misunderstood. I thought it was as soon as you walked in the front door. Never mind. :)
May 1, 2013 at 4:22PM   
Iron spheres? These are outdoor ones powder coated.

May 1, 2013 at 6:20PM     
linhines
The spheres are a cool idea!
May 1, 2013 at 6:42PM     
linhines
groveraxle, where do you get the stained glass panel? They are beautiful!
May 1, 2013 at 6:42PM   
linhines, if you click the link under each photo, it will take you to the houzz page where you can get the link to each piece. I suspect they are expensive, but I'll bet you could find a fused glass panel that won't break the bank. Also, look at this artist's work:

I would definitely look into glass panels--stained or fused--with backlighting.
May 1, 2013 at 8:14PM     
carolins
May 1, 2013 at 11:41PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
It looks like to me you would be able to see the chandelier in the window from the out side so I would just frame the window in a color that goes with the colors in the room and joining rooms doing a straight panel on each side floor to ceiling just to give a more finished look. You need color there. Then add your accessories 3 over scaled items. Whats your style? Maybe a pic of your living room would help.
May 2, 2013 at 12:03AM     
I saw this idea in a niche - it would be nice at night but perhaps the sunlight might fade the lampshades over time
May 2, 2013 at 3:10AM     
aimran
i liek the pottery with dried sicks idea above best for the ledge... like a showcase..
May 2, 2013 at 3:31AM   
roseglow3
I have the same thing. To me there are two options only: Large pottery with sheer curtains that completely cover the window OR leave it completely blank and vacant. You can see my entry chandelier from the outside of the house thru my same style window. so due to the height, and the fact I like clean lines/less clutter, I do nothing to the space but sheer curtains (on rods at top and bottom of window.). You don't have to decorate every inch of space.
May 2, 2013 at 10:02AM     
janeinkcks
Wow. What an odd space. I'd treat it like a store display window or doll house. I'd dress it like a reading room. Put a small book case with junk books, a small chair, lamp, small table, pictures on the walls, and a mannequin in the chair. I'd make a complete scene. Your guest will wonder how they get up there and your neighbors will wonder about that person who's always sitting by the window.
May 2, 2013 at 10:37AM     
finnsmom
It never ceases to amaze me what builders will put in a house. Its basically wasted space. But, I agree with some of the others about using it as a place to display a large piece of artwork. Something simple, yet stunning would be my suggestion. Builders need to have a committee of women to guide them when they build houses. When I was looking for a house in Charlotte, NC, it seemed that you couldn't find a square room. Good grief why would anyone want a room with a niche over the fireplace or some of the other things that builders have come up with.
May 2, 2013 at 12:45PM     
Alfieri Design
Oh, I see! Wish, again, it had some function, and that window??? Yes, finnsmom, you are so right. Lit art would work well, but a solid piece of glass replacing that window would work much better. Get a handyman.
May 2, 2013 at 2:50PM   
Cathy Razmus
Don't do anything you'll have to dust. I have the same thing....:(
May 2, 2013 at 6:10PM     
rachaelhz
I'd put either a couple statement pottery vases with branches or flowered faux branches OR an assortment of lanterns with battery operated & timed candles inside.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the wood trim on the windows, border and wall plate. I'd have them painted White Dove by BM and new white wall plate also.

I agree about what people are saying about the builders odd space... if budget allowed, you could open up the whole wall space and put in a whole new window and make the entire room bigger and no need for anything to be a the cubby.
May 2, 2013 at 6:21PM   
Yes, a stained glass window and paint the entire niche a soft color to coordinate with the glass.

.
May 2, 2013 at 6:33PM     
jg011011
Here is an idea of some items that can be used in a space like yours. Change it up to your liking, you can use lanterns and decorative vases.

May 2, 2013 at 7:02PM     
jg011011
Here's another idea

May 2, 2013 at 7:07PM     
linhines
This is a great idea, thank you!
May 2, 2013 at 7:41PM   
linhines
Thank you for all of the ideas! I think we'll take a mixture of all of them. The space is actually a dormer, goes with the other dormers in the house (others are bedroom, bathroom, master), so the space cannot be opened up. But, we can change the wood to white, add some stain glass (or a room divider/screen), then some pottery with branches and a lantern with a timer.
Thank yo!
May 2, 2013 at 7:46PM     
rachaelhz
I love the lantern idea. That's what I'd do. And go white. I love white.
May 2, 2013 at 9:57PM   
1msr
You don't need to replace the window glass: buy a good sized, framed, piece of stained glass and hang it by chains a few inches in front of the window - should get the same effect. I would opt for having a new "window", installed on your inside wall: look into the beautiful clear glass with the air bubbles, swirls, waterfall looks, etc. and have it framed as a window, enclosing over the entire space, so it looks like the window is in the room itself. No need to dust the ledge, you will still have light.
May 2, 2013 at 10:40PM     
aimran
changing the window from outside would change your facade.... you have more of these dormers outside too.....

i like the stain glass idea
May 3, 2013 at 12:38AM     
Rachelle Plantagenet
Do you have kids? If you were short on play space it would make the ultimate cubby area! put a little ladder on the side to climb up and it would be fab.
May 3, 2013 at 5:33AM   
linhines
Yes anumaura, we have more dormers. From the outside, this is just one of the dormers. The others are in rooms. Also, plentr, it is a bit to high for kids and a ladder. it is about 12 feet high. I make my husband go up there once a year. (Too high for me!)
May 3, 2013 at 9:11AM     
Mary Evers
I would tear the ledge down & have the space opened to the ceiling. Nobody needs dust collectors at that height.
May 5, 2013 at 7:00AM     
aimran
Best idea by mary above: then you can hang a marakesh lamp there...
May 5, 2013 at 7:55AM   
janaknezek
Bird cage, vintage.
May 5, 2013 at 8:02AM     
Kathy Miller
since this ledge is out of the way, I would not block the window light with a screen, the more natural light the better, You can purchase stained glass adhesive (sold at hardware stores) and easily apply, what ever you do don't put to much up there, as it is out-of-the way and hard to clean/dust
May 5, 2013 at 9:07AM     
catscats
Beautiful little area to play with. Where the window is, I would make that whole little wall into one solid window. The more light the better. There seems to be an electrial outlet on the side wall. I would put a pot light on the celiling for night light. Since it is not easily accessed, I would put a simple piece of transparent glass art there. The light would shine through the glass and not hinder any natural light from coming through. it would be easy to dust with one of those long-handled duster thingys. Simple little space with simple art.
May 5, 2013 at 9:45AM     
Amanda Moore
My aunt had a spot like this at her foyer. She didn't put anything up there and we would leap to it from the bannister. I would add window treatments to match the decor in the room and a trio of vases or something you don't mind dusting . If it were my space I would do the window treatments alone.
May 7, 2013 at 7:45PM   
decofriend
I once had this space above my front door. I chose wide white plantation blinds adjusted so the light would reflect off the ceiling into the open two story foyer. Definitely add white woodwork and paint walls to match the adjoining space. I treated the area as an art gallery. The trick is to choose very large items to avoid a cluttered closet appearance. Think BIG and low maintenance. Christmas was staged for window shopping. That required a lot of work but was grand. I still use the huge snowmen that sat along the front with their legs swinging over the ledge. Have fun with your space and create spiel memories!!
May 8, 2013 at 8:57AM   
Artscape Inc.
That looks like a great place to put a ton of pillows down and curl up with a book. :)
May 8, 2013 at 9:26AM   
Anything would be better.put grouping of plants candles picture frames use a table runner a bunch up around them adding some twigs fro Michaels. Make it larger a small mirror on a small art stand group tall with shorter items. Those balls in color.
May 8, 2013 at 12:37PM   
A panel on window and then pull to one side. Would finish look
May 8, 2013 at 12:39PM   
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Help !!! I need a kitchen color.
I have gone through 3 different colors in my kitchen...
Where to place a microwave in my new kitchen design.
My kitchen design is nearly final using a professional,...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...