Help making the living room feel more homely
maryhanna2
Hi, we just recently updated the furniture, had carpet removed and tiled the floor and we just finished the installation of a fireplace done in a black and white colour. But for some reason the room to me looks like it is missing something. I have been looking for accessories to put on the coffee table, lamp tables and a nice light fitting, but seem to be unable to find anything to my liking. Can people suggest what I need to do to this room to make it feel more lived in and homely. I know it also needs a rug. Ny suggestions I would be very grateful.
Jayme H.
Drapery would help if you want to go that way..possibly an area rug, lamps, art....maybe a dash of color?
May 1, 2013 at 4:23AM   
Interior Style Solutions
Hi Maryhanna2

Your furniture is beautiful! Yes, you do need a rug, some colour and some panels. I have attached some pictures.
May 1, 2013 at 4:49AM     
maryhanna2
There is no walls left to put any art on as they all have windows on them.the one wall that is left, next to the mirror, I was thinking of getting a modern stainless steel clock to put there about 80cm in diameter as it is a pretty big wall. As for a rug....do you think one of those modern shaggy rugs would look good, maybe brown cream and white through it?
May 1, 2013 at 4:50AM   
Interior Style Solutions
Some more photos...
May 1, 2013 at 4:52AM     
maryhanna2
Wow Michelle I never thought of putting green in the room. I guess I was trying to stay with the browns and cream themes. Do you think it will clash since the marble wall is black and white?
May 1, 2013 at 4:53AM   
Jayme H.
I think the color would be stunning!
May 1, 2013 at 4:58AM   
maryhanna2
Wow Michelle where can I get the table centre piece you posted in your second lot of pictures....have been looking for a nice centre piece and this is beautiful.
May 1, 2013 at 4:59AM   
Interior Style Solutions
Not at all it will look beautiful! Maybe add some black and white patterned cushions with the teal ones. What about this stag for the wall?
May 1, 2013 at 5:04AM   
Interior Style Solutions
The centre piece is by georg jensen
May 1, 2013 at 5:06AM   
Jayme H.
Oh Michelle..Your suggestions are fabulous!!
May 1, 2013 at 5:11AM   
maryhanna2
So you think black and white cushions would go with the existing ones and on a brown couch.....I would never have thought of that? As for the stag head it looks great but what wall could I place it on? Maybe on the one where I was intending to put the clock(near the mirror).
May 1, 2013 at 5:14AM     
Kim D
That is one beautiful room, I think it is missing you.... add your personality....things you like seeing around you, things from your travel, picture of your dog, mom, whatever , a light to read by a curtain to close if there is too much sun to watch tv, just stuff that makes you comfortable and room more live able ...
May 1, 2013 at 5:18AM     
Judy M
I think your room needs softness.
Everything in it is a hard cold surface (leather, tile).
A large carpet, a faux mink throw, drapes (hung high).
A dash of color in pillows or accents would warm it up as well.
May 1, 2013 at 5:27AM     
JWinteriors
I agree with Judy. Too much hard scape and no softness. Window panels with a geometric pattern (floor to ceiling with black hardware) will make a bold statement and add the softness along with a shag rug and throw for texture. Pillows and accessories can introduce your shots of color. Keep all your accessories large or they will throw the proportion of the room off.
May 1, 2013 at 5:36AM     
Interior Style Solutions
Perhaps you could place 3 small stag heads on right wall when facing the sofa. I have also seen these African Feather headdresses called Bamileke headdresses used on walls, they look amazing. This could be used next to the mirror?
May 1, 2013 at 5:52AM     
Interior Style Solutions
Sorry, I thought your sofa was black, please disregard the comment about black and white cushions and try and get a cushion similar to the second one in the photo which incorporates browns and blacks :)
May 1, 2013 at 6:07AM   
maryhanna2
Hi sorry I should have mentioned that, the couches are a dark chocolate colour, I have two throws already on the couches ina beige and white colour. Not sure if the rug should also be a mix of beige, white and chocolate colour....would I be putting to much focus on those colours then?
May 1, 2013 at 4:38PM   
kstewartlycnh
Invest in a large Turkish Kilim (rug) for the floor...this will "tie" your furniture together by visually creating a "conversation area"...and the rug is your art. Also buy some pllows made form Turkish Kilim rugs to put on the couch to tie everything together. Buy a rug with red in it and other bright colors, you need some color in this room - also invest in a good lamp or lamps.
May 1, 2013 at 5:32PM     
kstewartlycnh
Google Turkish Kilim for more info:
May 1, 2013 at 5:40PM   
kstewartlycnh
Also, you have too many throw pillows...and none make a statement...get a few Kilim throw pillows that make a ststement - what you have now are too big, too many, and they hide your beautiful furniture.
May 1, 2013 at 5:47PM   
Interior Style Solutions
I think a solid rug in colour, remove brown leather cushions, leave lighter cushions, and bring in cushions same as the rug colour you choose. Use only one of your throws on the sofa. I have attached another idea for a lamp and perhaps you can add another side table next to the chair on the right. Straighten the table in the corner so it sits next to the sofa. Place a lamp to the right of the sofa and a plant in front of the lamp. Panels with stainless steel rods the same colour as your wall :)
May 1, 2013 at 6:14PM   
maryhanna2
I was thinking of very large lamps on top of the side tables, with the base made from pewter and maybe a black shade?
May 1, 2013 at 7:24PM   
maryhanna2
Hi kstewart, thanks for your suggestion, but I am not a fan of multicoloured things, I want the room to be modern and simple, but have a relaxed sort of feel. I like items that don't date and are simple. I absolutely hate clutter in a room as it makes it feel closed in but also makes it a lot harder to clean. I was wondering what sort of accessories to put also in and on the coffee and side tables......
May 1, 2013 at 7:28PM     
kstewartlycnh
A contemporary pewter lamp with black or brown shade would work - still think you need a focal point -the eye does not know where to land and since you only have furniture in this room, it feels barren and cold - not welcoming. You need somethimg to draw the eye (and guest in) please google turkish kilims. If you have a rug, then you can skip wall decorations...I have a kilim - easy to clean. As far as objects on tables...a stack of art books are good with a small bowl of fresh flowers by the side...add a cube or sphere made of glass or marble is good - group objects into threes -no trinkets! Contemporary is good, but a room of only contemporary furniture is just a room full of contemporary furniture. Think about it...obviously, you are not happy with your look...and what I am telling you is your answer to why. Also add some personal touches on your tables...a picture of you and your husband and/or son in a contempory frame would be good, too.
May 1, 2013 at 8:13PM   
Cheery Curtains
Your rooms need some colors to cheer up. Hope these curtain designs will give you some inspirations.
May 1, 2013 at 8:45PM   
kstewartlycnh
Also group you furniture...put the two couches facing each other with the fireplace at the end...on the opposite end of room put chair facing fireplace...use round piece as the coffee table in center of the two couches. Use glass coffee table in front of chair - use side table by chair...this arrangement will create a conversational area with the focus as your fireplace.
In other words...fireplace/tv: EAST - couch #1: SOUTH - chair & glass side table: WEST - couch # 2: NORTH...
Then, put round piece in the middle of the two couches and smaller glass coffee table in front of chair. Keep mirror where it is.
The wooden object (?) on floor, put next to fireplace. Remove the throw pillows that you have added and use elsewhere in your home.
Group stack of art books (3) on round 'coffee table' and add a casual throw (not throw pillow) made of tan, brown or black cashmere (to wrap up in on a cold winter night) - this will add some softness to your look.
Put lamp on side table (next to chair) w/ small group of fresh flowers in a low glass cube vase & personal photo in contemporary frame...then add another stack of art books (3) to glass coffee table with a cube &/or sphere of marble or glass on top of the books (or beside books).
May 1, 2013 at 9:02PM   
maryhanna2
I love the idea of swapping the coffee table and round tables around kstewart, but I cant re-arrange the furniture to face each other because where I am standing to take the picture is the stairs that lead down into the room(its a sunken living room sort of shaped like a 50cent piece(australian currency....hexagon if you will)) so the small wall where the mirror is has the small chair, the large wall has the long couch and the medium sized wall has the medium sized couch. To the right of the fireplace (if you are facing it) are stairs to leave the room. Then a pillar then another set of stairs (so now you are back near the single chair). i went shopping today to pick up some accessories and found some glass jars I like that i filled with wooden plants and put in the middle of the large coffee table.....it looks better. I also saw some nice black glass bottles that I thought would compliment the fireplace to put on the bottom shelf of the coffee tables but they were far too tall. PS the wooden think is a old coffee grinder they use to use in our culture (I am lebanses).
May 2, 2013 at 9:54PM   
kstewartlycnh
It may be that you just have too much furniture for the small room...let the small couch face the fireplace use the side table and the chair on the wall with the windows. Put glass coffee table in front of couch .The other furniture can go in other parts of the house.
May 3, 2013 at 6:26AM   
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
May 12, 2013 at 11:52PM   
Make a city Living Room feel like home!
Its hard to completely transform a space when the physical...
Need help with making my living room more lived in and warm.
Our living room needs more of lived in feeling. Don't...
How to make our home feel more "California style"?
We bought a home in Southern California-- in our area...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Salvage materials in new construction?
Going to the largest salvage yard in NE today. Is...
How to get the look I want for my living room/kitchen
Hello! I am looking for some help with my living...
help with family room
I am trying to add some blue color to family room and...
POLL: Who's the messy one in your house?
Even in a house full of neatniks, there is ALWAYS one...