Chair rail and Wainscoting
cbp89
How can I make the chair rail and wainscoting work in this dining room?
Rockin' Fine Finish
Paint all the wood trim and wainscoting in the room all the same
May 1, 2013 at 7:17am   
leelee
Yes, paint the chair rail and baseboards. You could go slightly darker on the trim and wainscotting and leave the lighter color above.
May 1, 2013 at 7:36am   
cbp89
Thanks for the help. The wall paint is Devine Muslin. Would love suggestions on a paint color for the trim and wainscoting.
May 1, 2013 at 7:49am   
leelee
Same color but just a shade darker on your color swatch.
May 1, 2013 at 7:51am   
Rockin' Fine Finish
I would paint the upper wall muslin and the trim and the wainscoting whip from Devine
May 1, 2013 at 7:54am   
Genevieve
Paint the top wall a different colour ,most wainscotting are kept white .
May 1, 2013 at 7:54am   
The color looks boring but hard to tell from photo. Paint all trim bright white. Incl. the bottom squares trim. Leave inside squares same. But paint area below chair rail 2 shades darker, for contrast. If you can change out chandelier do it. And lower it too 36" above table. Never use gold. Something in a dark brn. Put runner on table with color of walls with print or stripe maybe some teal, browns etc. put new centerpiece on table a wood bowl large fill with weave balls, add a teal one too.a scones on each side of mirror something almost as long as mirror. Place 4 inches from side of mirror. Can be bronze or black iron. Candles should be 2 shades darker than wall.
May 1, 2013 at 8:07am   
Great Rooms Interior Style
Here's my 2 cents: paint all trim (including what's under chair rail) cream. Keep upper wall color if you want, but paint below the chair rail a darker color (2 shades away from top color). If you want an updated look for chandelier, lower it to 36" from top of table, find a drum shade that will fit over the entire light area. Kind of hard to find (I'm looking for one for myself), but it may be cheaper than replacing the entire light. I would also loose the valance on the window and hang panels to the floor on either side for drama. I might also move the buffet from the side wall to under the mirror to provide a focal point at the back wall to create depth to the room and remove extraneous tables. Make your furniture placement deliberate. Hope this helps. Would love to see pics of the finished project!
May 1, 2013 at 8:21am   
leelee
GRI, is right! Get rid of the valance over the doors. Actually, the correct height for a light over a dining table is 30" from the table to the bottom of the fixture, so yours could definitely be lowered.
May 1, 2013 at 8:26am     
cbp89
Awesome comments! Thank you very much. I so appreciate any and all suggestions. It's so energizing. This community is very talented!
May 1, 2013 at 8:28am   
cbp89
When looking at the picture I posted and looking at the "actual" light, it certainly does seem high. Yet when I measured from table to bottom of the light it is in fact 30". Do you think the style might be the problem and a updated lighting fixture might solve the problem? Or should I lower it regardless? Again, thanks!
May 1, 2013 at 8:35am     
leelee
No, 30" is goooood. Thanks for checking that out --it does look much higher in the post pic.
May 1, 2013 at 9:22am   
Your light is dated.
May 1, 2013 at 9:49am   
A drum light would work. You can find deals. No valance add panels. Try the buffet under mirror,might be what you need. Painting darker on bottom will improve room
May 1, 2013 at 9:52am   
Too much wainscoting? Adding chair rail and shadow boxing
My home already has crown molding, chair rail with...
Painted wainscoting/chair rail
Here is a simple before and after of a transitional...
Chair rail and wainscot
Tiffany, is this just wooden paneling in the sides...
looking for top caps for wainscoting like a chair rail
With a flat top with at least 1/2" depth coming out...
Door color update on a calamine lotion color home?
I will be honest. I hate the color of our house. It...
Need help finding the right outdoor rug
Hi I'd like to have ideas what is the best color for...
Small bathroom
Is it okay to have a patterned shower curtain in a...
Kitchen colors. Help!!
Putting GE slate color appliances in my new kitchen....
Dining room lighting
Has anyone used just potlights over a dining room table...