What do you think of these window styles? Please help!

kruiseyMay 1, 2013
We live in a one-level country home and we need to replace all of the windows. I've been going nuts looking at all the style options out there, but I think I've narrowed it down to the pictures attached. I also attached a photo online that I liked so I applied it to our windows. I played around in the paint tool and sketched up what it would look like in our house. I'm going for a country, simple, but with some character, clean, airy look. For the front of the house, I'm thinking single hung windows with simple grid on top only, and for the back of the house, increase the trim size inside the windows to balance the large window and do skinnier single/or double hung windows on the outside... Note that we have a great view of the country, so I keep jumping back and fourth... I think the options I have here don't take away from the scene... What do you guys think or recommend? I've tried several other options with grids but felt it was too busy, and with no grids (we don't have any right now), it seems too plain to me? Note we do have a large stone fireplace and wood beams in the living room.

Also, for the back windows, do you think grid just on top, bottom or both?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
photon_
If u have a beautiful view- go for the plain! I'm not sure bout the grid window - unless it is big ..
    Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 2:49PM
PRO
Merit Kitchens
I have grids on the tops of my windows, in the front of the house only...The back has all clear windows to save on the cost. If I were to do it over again I would not get the grids as it was different when i got them, but Im tired of them now.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 3:12PM
dawnbc1
The first thing my husband did when we moved into our new (and fabulous ;) house was to rip out every single grid -and there were 44. They just block the view and are far too fussy. The less grid the better. Big, clean windows...it's all about the view.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 22, 2014 at 9:06AM
des1gnchick
You have a beautiful view - I would go withou grids for a cleaner look and less obstructed view. You can always add window treatments for interest if you really think windows need it after installation. Sale of your house works with no grid look too. Love the window seat idea - would could do some fun pillows and seat cushion
1 Like    Bookmark   November 22, 2014 at 10:01AM
ycity
Hi!! I'm partial to grids, and I love the idea of having grids on the top part of the window, and leave the big picture window without grids. You can use narrow grids (I think we have 7/8's). But one thing- I prefer when the grids are outside the window rather than between the window panes. I am not a fan of windows with grids between the panes.
    Bookmark   November 22, 2014 at 8:27PM
PRO
Jarret Interior Design
These grids are called mullions, btw. :)
    Bookmark   November 25, 2014 at 7:05AM