Need to add design to dining room!
Meredith Kowal
Any advise on how I can make my dining room more envying? Should I add wainscoting or a buffet?? Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated!
Meredith Kowal
Whoops meant to say inviting!
May 1, 2013 at 12:24pm   
Judy M
I would consider an area rug, drapes and art work displayed over a buffet.
There are thousands of photos available on this web site to give you inspiration. Go to "browse rooms" at the top of the page, use the drop down menu and pick "dining room".
May 1, 2013 at 12:41pm   
0825sam
I agree with Judy M - you have a pretty blank slate so I would just search houzz photos for inspiration. Here is a search of houzz dining rooms "round table orb chandelier" http://www.houzz.com/photos/dining/round-table-orb-chandelier-
May 1, 2013 at 12:43pm   
myepello
Not so sure the chandelier works. Definitely a buffet with accessories and maybe a mirror above
And a round rug to tie the whole deal together
May 1, 2013 at 12:54pm   
I'm not a fan of buffets or china cabinets, so unless you need the storage I wouldn't go that way, they will make the room look smaller. I would add a chair rail, about 3' up from the floor, with either wainscoting below or even textured, paintable wallpaper. Add some color! Sage green, or light blue on the walls with a complimentary area rug.
May 1, 2013 at 1:02pm   
Keitha
I like the simple sleek look of your dining room. To me, wainscoting would just add a more formal, traditional vibe. Would you consider painting the ceiling a nice color that could also be used in accents in the room decor? It would add an interesting element!
May 1, 2013 at 1:08pm     
Needs some excitement via color, pattern and bling. Would start with a rug under the table (4' larger than the table top.) Plain chairs could be tweaked with a colorful lumbar pillow for each. Drapes to match the lumbars. Huge art and a more exciting chandelier. Do you have room for a buffet or credenza on one of the walls?
May 1, 2013 at 4:22pm     
lbelmona
It depends on your taste, many options are doable... Let us know what your style is: modern, traditional, mixed... Here's one option that is really simple

May 1, 2013 at 6:32pm     
May 1, 2013 at 6:35pm     
lbelmona
May 1, 2013 at 6:37pm     
I would replace the chandelier with one that has a large drum shade. Add an area rug and paint the big bare wall an accent color. I like the shelving in the dining photo above.
May 1, 2013 at 7:30pm   
Madeline
About the only thing I can add since I am not a designer is that you should not have to replace your chandelier unless you wish to but you should lower it to 36" above the table. It is quite attractive and even resembles some in the photos abovel Your wall paint also seems to be a nice gray with which to work. Now you need an area rug, drapes hung from the ceiling to floor to match, a tablescape and table linens, perhaps sconces perhaps on your walls and artwork or a large mirror to capture the reflection of the chandelier light. You could add a credenza and place on top a large modern vase for fresh cut flowers or large green branches.
May 1, 2013 at 7:52pm     
Looking at this image, I think I would go for the less is more approach: don't add anything except an oversized piece of art that takes up 2/3 of the height of the wall and quite a large width.
May 1, 2013 at 8:09pm     
tanyadukes
Tanya D. You have a blank slate with great bones. You should start with drapes. Make sure they are hung high for maximum effect, choose a color and/or a modern print. Woven shades or wood shutters should be added inside the window. The rod should also be carefully considered. Vary the size of your art work, and make certain you have one large piece. Art is a great way to bring in some color. Add a large rectangular rug with a print and color ( You decide how subtle or bold, but keep it classy). Add a tall dramatic mirror that sits on the floor and leans on the wall. Wall sconces would also add a touch of elegance. You also need a fresh flower arrangement as a centerpiece (bringing in more color). If you want a buffet then add it, but make sure you style it in a manner consistent with the rest of the room. It can also be painted a color rather than stained.
May 1, 2013 at 8:18pm     
sdirvin1
Change your light. Add a round rug. Top your table with a large/tall but not so wide centerpiece. Maybe like a simple flower arrangement. On the wall add several photos to make one photo (if that makes sense). For instance you have 9 smaller pictures that are similar, line up 3 in a row or two larger photos. I think more than one picture would look better in the space. Hope this helps. I didn't read any other comments, so it maybe repeating.
May 1, 2013 at 8:29pm   
doctornancy
A drapery panel, an area rug, and some artwork...... voila, a gorgeous dining room!
May 1, 2013 at 9:51pm     
Meredith Kowal
Thanks everyone! The window has an odd shape. How should I get the curtains hung?
May 2, 2013 at 5:28am   
Gabberts Design Studio
I would add a very large piece of artwork to the blank wall, and panels to each side of the window. Non-working panels on short rods to warm up the window, but not interfere with the casework. Also, the room definitely needs a rug. Gorgeous room!
May 2, 2013 at 5:34am     
lbelmona
I would like to ask Nancy Reese Redesign about the software or app she used to add the elements to the room...
May 2, 2013 at 6:04am   
lbelmona
You can choose a thin curtain rod and hang it just below the ceiling. Check the attached photos I think they have almost the same window dimensions

Blount Design
Showhouse
May 2, 2013 at 6:24am   
mpoulsom
I agree with Gabberts! A rug, panels straight across without incorporating arch, and art! I love your chandelier btw!
May 2, 2013 at 6:27am   
mpoulsom
May 2, 2013 at 6:31am   
jreute
Do you know what paint color that is on the walls? It would look very nice with a blue/gray/green accent.
May 2, 2013 at 6:43am   
Virtus Design
I agree that less is more when it comes to this room. Nancy Reese has something good going!
May 2, 2013 at 6:59am   
pivoines
Do the side panels like the Nancy Reese picture, don't worry about the window design, it will make sense once they are up, just give the room a more unique look, that chandelier is great , but a little high , it would fit and look better if you could lower it a bit. If you can't , then put a substantial centerpiece to join it with the table, refer to Ibelmona's pictures. The room is great as is but would also look good with the bottom paneling as the first pic that Ibelmona posted . Beautiful, beautiful dining room.enjoy.
May 2, 2013 at 7:22am   
Meredith Kowal
Thank you everyone! The wall color is revere pewter. On the hunt for a rug and curtains now :)
May 2, 2013 at 1:14pm   
I love your chandelier.
May 2, 2013 at 1:22pm     
Gallery 33
Things you need:
1. Area Rug
2. Stationary Drapery Panels
3. Buffet/sideboard on the main wall w/ Art flanked by table lamps
4. Wallpaper could add drama!
May 3, 2013 at 2:49pm   
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
May 12, 2013 at 11:53pm   
Need to Add Color to My Dining Room
I live in a 1933 Foursquare home with the original...
Need to add color to family room, too many neutral's. Any design ideas
Thinking of painting over mantle , need color to brighten...
Need help with dining room and sitting room design!
Hi, I have already bought furniture for the dinning...
need help with color and design for living room and dining room.
Recently we bought a house and have been struggling...
Help with my living room
Hi everyone who can help. This is my third time putting...
Can it be done
I bought some outdoor lights and got them home and...
American and Australian plumbing
I'm looking at buying a console sink from the USA,...
Help me design my 100 year old Farm house parlour (living room)
I have a room I would like to start painting then decide...
Does anyone know who makes this bedroom??
I want this bed so bad and can't find it anywhere....