Soffit vent hole minimum
a_rainbow
This is sort of a continuous convo from earlier. But to keep it short, I have "paint the vinyl"option hat shaped cont. vents from tamlyn in metallics paint or it came to my attention my dad at local sheet metal workers could bend up perforated metal in profile I want. It's pricier but one way, I have cost of vinyl plus paint, the other is galvanized already metal bent with no cost of paint. Then my family discount puts me less so I could do that but perforated metal holes are 3/16".

Are those holes too big for keepin' buggies etc out?
kimdee24
How big are the bugs in Alaska? :)
May 1, 2013 at 4:00pm   
a_rainbow
:-) our first batch of Mosquitos... Which aren't here yet with all this winterness still around (!!!!) are huge. But I suppose I worry most about bees and hives?
May 1, 2013 at 4:03pm   
kimdee24
Hmm... isn't the internet wonderful? Somewhere, someone has asked the question "what is the smallest hole a bee can get through" ! Hope it helps... not sure about mosquitos, but I'm guessing they prefer to breed in wet places anyhow.
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?244943-Smallest-Hole-A-Bee-Can-Get-Through
May 1, 2013 at 4:24pm     
a_rainbow
Ah haaaa... I was hoping for 1/8" holes to be honest. The tamlyn vinyl sample has a little less than 1/8" so I figured I'd be pushing it. I have a bunch of leftover mesh from garage vents we made (that I don't like) and I could apply that to inside if metal. Not sure how.. Screw...glue... But since its a bunch leftover its no added cost.
May 1, 2013 at 4:27pm   
a_rainbow
(Thanks kimdee24)
May 1, 2013 at 4:31pm   
kimdee24
Anytime! Glad I could help.
May 1, 2013 at 5:37pm   
Ironwood Builders
baumer, Line the tops of the hat channel with insect screen. I need to think about how it is held on...talk to your dad and the sheet metal guys and get some ideas too!
May 1, 2013 at 9:00pm     
Ironwood Builders
Pop rivets and washers?
May 1, 2013 at 9:02pm     
a_rainbow
I mentioned above ^^ in my own comment about bug mesh on inside of soffit on top of 3/16" but then I remembered I've gotten a scrap of perforated metal from them before (inserted in a frame and made my own vent when we yanked the fan and used for HRV... Bought cheap frame and took glass out . I was quite proud of myself!) anyway.. So I called back and yes! They have 3/32"! So I think that prob is solved! Galv hat shaped continuous soffit vents... Check!✔
May 1, 2013 at 9:23pm     
Updating 1970s Tudor exterior- How to change for more visual interest?
HELP! How would you redesign the facade of this 1970's...
Area rug to go with this chair?
Ideas for area rugs to go with this chair? The room...
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
Help with master bedroom style!
We are getting ready to paint our bedroom and need...
NEED KITCHEN HELP
We just purchased a new home. Our new kitchen is VERY...