What is the ideal size for a laundry room and pantry?
karenmraff
Building a house and trying to figure out sizes for laundry and pantry. House is about 2000 square feet and 3 bedrooms. Thanks for any ideas .
A Kitchen That Works LLC
It really depends on how you live and what activities you plan on doing in the laundry room and whether you plan on stacking your laundry machines or installing them side by side and how much you like to hand wash or air dry your laundry. Here is a partial list of activities that many homeowners perform in their laundry rooms other than laundry: flower arranging, seed starting, pet grooming, food storage, craft projects, gift wrapping and shoe/coat storage.
May 1, 2013 at 5:32PM     
It also will depend on how many people will be living in the house, and as mentioned above, what your individual needs are. If you have a large amount of china and crystal, you might need both a food pantry and a dish pantry. It's a matter of what is important to you and your family. If you have pets, you'll need to provide space for their needs and supplies. People who do crafts need space for those supplies.
May 1, 2013 at 5:52PM     
karenmraff
This is a retirement home for my husband and me. We expect to have company once a month. I would like to leave enough space to accomplish the necessities without being crowded. I realize this is vague.
May 1, 2013 at 5:58PM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Suggestion: 60" of wall for side by side laundry unless you choose the European front loaders plus 30" of wall for the laundry sink. Think galley style so run 60" of wall/base cabinets for storage and folding laundry with the remaining 30" devoted to a bench with coat rack above. Provide at least 42" between the countertops on each side of the room.
May 1, 2013 at 6:05PM   
For the washer and dryer alone, I'd allow a 6' x 6' space. You'll also have space above that for supplies. If you want to add a closet for vacuum cleaner, mop, broom, and a few tools, I'd add another 2.5' in one direction and that may allow you space for storing some gift wrap also.
May 1, 2013 at 6:07PM   
Dullea and Associates Inc.
Your laundry room should function the way you want it to so you need to determine how you want it work. You need room for your washer/dryer, hanging space, dirty laundry sorting bins, possible ironing, utility sink, broom closet and general storage space. Some homeowners also have a second refrigerator in this space.

If you laundry room is small and all you need is side by side units you may be able to get by with a space a small as 7'x10'. A space this small does not allow for ironing. Remember to keep a minimum of 42" in front of you dryer which will allow ample space to bend over to unload the unit. More space is better!

If you feel you need a larger room with more functions you room will need to grow. This is an important room so give it a lot of thought. Let us know how you intend to use this space.
May 1, 2013 at 6:07PM   
I prefer ironing in the master bathroom or bedroom and that's where I store the iron and ironing board, so as empty nesters, I find we don't need that much space in the laundry room.
May 1, 2013 at 6:16PM     
Judy M
My laundry room is 5 x 8. Front loader Washer dryer is on five foot wall with 2 cabinets above and granite top over W/D.
Ironing board is hung on wall. In opposite corner is a California closet type corner shelving unit does not go all the way to floor, but has a rod at half length for hangers.( I don't use shelves for food but vases, rice cooker, some platters etc.
On the floor is my vacuum.
This room is down the hall from my kitchen.
Despite it being small it is comfortable to work in and I make sure everything has a "home" to store it, so it stays neat.
The only time I have to work in the hall outside the room is when we come back from a vacation.
May 1, 2013 at 6:19PM   
kimdee24
Like everyone else said, it depends on your needs. Mine is about 6x6, side by side front loaders with a counter over top and overhead cabinets, and a small shelving area as well. It's small but it's enough for me. Like Carolyn, i iron in the master bath or bedroom near my closet.
May 1, 2013 at 6:28PM