ceiling too low
roxanaredrose
I am looking at a bungalow with undeveloped attic and very low ceilings. what should I do?
The obvious is to break through to the attic and turn that into your ceiling. However, an engineer or architect will be imperative. Pictures would help as well! All the best on an exciting project
May 2, 2013 at 3:07AM     
opened beams.
May 2, 2013 at 8:07AM   
roxanaredrose
yes, i had a look in the attic and the home refurbishment guy told me he would not recommend tearing down the ceilings as this is a 'modern' house (built in the 1980s) and the beams are not beautiful, as in a farmhouse. The beam structure looked good to me, but all I had was a flashlight.
But the rooms are good only for hobbits, I swear! They are also dark, to boot.
May 2, 2013 at 8:20AM   
You can always clad the beams - I don't see that as a showstopper! I would give him another nudge...
May 2, 2013 at 9:06AM   
carolannr
How about taking out those low ceilings and putting the drywall directly on those roof rafters (covering insulation, of course). That will give the vaulted ceilings you need for breathing room without exposing the unattractive roof support.
May 2, 2013 at 9:31AM   
roxanaredrose
Yes, that might be the best compromise. Exposed beams are a style signature which conflicts with the furniture I've got. This would also solve the problem of the room partitioning - walls would have to end somewhere. (Sorry for being so naive).
May 2, 2013 at 10:02AM   
carolannr
Its just inexperience. We bought our first house when I was just 24. It was old and I was brave, so I learned to do stuff while my husband was out of town a lot on business.
May 2, 2013 at 3:30PM   
Robin W
How low are we talking? My house built in the 60's has standard 8' ceilings.
May 2, 2013 at 5:28PM   
ReMax - Lisa
Why not try doing a 'tray' ceiling in the formal rooms? We've done it in a few of our homes and it adds a great architectural feel to the rooms. The roof line stays the same from the outside, but you have to reinforce the trusses with some new beams in the attic space. Lots of examples here on Houzz
May 2, 2013 at 6:40PM   
Dullea and Associates Inc.
There have been a lot of good ideas. I would like to say if you do decide to open the ceiling up to vault, add a tray, or raise the ceiling you should consult an engineer.
May 2, 2013 at 7:11PM   
roxanaredrose
I had no idea what a tray ceilig was, but yes, it looks grand. The house now is really a dump. How you add elegance to it while renovating is a challenge in itself.
May 3, 2013 at 7:48AM   
roxanaredrose
As to how low we are talking... 2.35m. I was worried my wardrobe and bookcase would not get in. They barely do. You really get the boxed in feeling.
May 3, 2013 at 7:50AM     
ReMax - Lisa
Here's a picture of the family room we did the tray ceiling in recently - made a huge difference to an 8' ceiling, raised it up about 14" and made the room feel really spacious.
May 3, 2013 at 7:37PM     
yvonnecmartin
The ceiling height is 7.71 feet (for the Americans). Although that is low, you might grow to appreciate its coziness.
May 3, 2013 at 8:27PM   
roxanaredrose
It's a beautiful room, Lisa, I like everything about it, including what you see outside the window. You are right, it would not have worked without this ceiling. I expect it is a more costly solution but it is really elegant.
May 4, 2013 at 6:00AM   
Donna
I, too, live in a home with very low ceilings...approx 82" ceiling height and dark! Cheap & effective solution....light colors, reflective surfaces and reset lighting. My dark cave-like kitchen is now a beautiful, open, airy space. Used the same concept with my bathroom....next will be the livingroom. Guest actually think we expanded ! The after photo below is before paint...we kept the walls, ceiling & trim the same color with the ceiling a semi gloss (reflective!)
May 4, 2013 at 6:47AM     
2.4m is quite common in European homes (at least if you get more than that you are considered fortunate).
May 4, 2013 at 9:47AM     
Megan Sherrard
I also have very low ceilings....and I'm scared but this post has made me feel so much better. Hope to see your progress soon! @ Donna, LOVE the tricks you applied to your kitchen. I'm very interested in what paint colors you picked to get this affect. Please share the bathroom if you can too! Best, Megan
October 10, 2013 at 12:00PM   
Would LOVE some new paint color ideas for my DINING, LIVING and FOYER
I am tired of the gold and red in my dining room, living...
New entry needed for curb appeal!
My parents are getting a new roof but they need to...
Lost with this living room!
Love this room but at a loss as to how to furnish it....
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Granite seam MAKING ME ANGRY :( can it be improved?
just had granite installed today and the seam is pretty...