Blinds - how big, how many?!
michtam
May 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi,

I have a large wide west-facing window and although I already have some nice striped curtains, I also want to get some blinds to filter out some of the hot afternoon sun.

Apologies for these dreadful photos but I just need some advice on the size and placement of the blinds.

The window is too wide for one big one (which would also be very expensive) so what should I get?

a) Two separate blinds - one to cover the lefthand wide section and the other to cover the door.
b) If I get two blinds, should they meet in the middle of frame separating the door section from the large window section or should I leave a gap between the two?
c) Or three separate blinds. One for the far section, one for the next and one for the door?

Any ideas will be gratefully received!
Many thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feeny
I would probably do one large solar shade, unless you feel you need a separate one for the door, in which case I'd do two of different sizes, one for the windows, one for the door:

0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 5:13AM
PRO
Virtus Design
Agree with the comment above.
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 5:46AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I also love the roller shade option, but if you're interested in blinds, I would propose 3 seperate blinds. One for the door, and then two for the space to the left. The seams should fall on the vertical casement dividers. The last window on the bottom left side throws it for a loop, but I think it's more important to have the blinds be balanced.
1 Like   May 2, 2013 at 5:53AM
michtam
Thank you one and all. By the way, I forgot to add the measurements: The total width is 312 (10'3") and the height is 207 (81.5") which, if it's one big blind, would make it very heavy to lift up and down.

I'm definitely keen on the solar roller blinds idea - I don't want to block out the view, just some of the bright sunshine.

I think I'll probably have to go for separate blinds rather than one big one because they're not easy to find in the UK and I need to get them sorted before we throw a party in two weeks' time! By the way, whereabouts are the vertical casement dividers? (Apologies for being so dense - DIY is not my forte!) Is it the long vertical continual frame between the door and the window and, it it is, should the end/beginning of the blinds meet in the middle, overlap, or on either side of this casement divider?
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 6:37AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
I recommend you speak to a local professional--these will be very BIG shades. You need a separate one for the door. I prefer one on the windows, but you will be restricted in resources for one shade that big. Shades of this size will have a continuous clutch headrail system which will make raising and lowering not difficult at all.
Also--two weeks is a short time frame to get these in! Get cookin'! :)
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 7:07AM
shelleybowley
These panels from habitat are inexpensive and are great
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 7:56AM