Mulitple Ages Playroom
cagesjamtoo
I have 6 kids ranging from 12 years - 18 months. We have one room in our house that we use as the playroom. Im trying to get ideas of what to incorporate in this room so it can be used by the soon to be teenagers to the little ones with toys.
0825sam
Depending on the size and shape of the room, I would consider turning one end into a tv watching area for the older kids, possibly with desks if they are using this room for homework or computer use, and use the back part of the room as an open play area for the younger kids. You could try the Ikea expedit cube storage to divide the areas, although you may need to anchor it to the floor or a wall for the little ones.

May 2, 2013 at 10:09am     
nasmijati
I like designing spaces for children! Let me go find some photos for you...
May 2, 2013 at 10:21am     
nasmijati
Children do better with low shelves for toy storage. It helps them be able to get out and put away their toys independently (with gentle guidance from you and the "clean up" song). If you use bins, attach a photo of the contents of the bin on the outside of the bin. This helps babysitters and visiting relatives help the children put away their toys. Put some opaque bins on high shelves above the children's reach. Put toys and activities that you rotate every few weeks into these bins.

I worked in preschools and elementary schools for many years. I do not believe it is good to breathe chalk dust. I do not like to vacuum it out of the carpet, mop it off the floor, or wash it out of my clothes.
A magnetic "white board" is nice for displaying art, and any magnetic alphabet letters or other magnets slide easily on this surface.

An accredited preschool in my city painted a smooth concrete wall with green paint (I do not know if it was actually chalkboard paint.) It made the area look like it had much more vegetation than it really had. The children could run along the concrete foundation of the wall and make loooong horizontal lines, great big rainbows, and so on. The wall could be hosed off.

Lakeshore Learning (www.lakeshorelearningcatalog.com) is one of the biggest suppliers of school furniture in the USA. The first photo is you "inspiration" photo. It is really two sturdy short shelving units on casters, joined by a piano hinge along the inside corner. It can be closed and latched shut if desired. If you arrange it so that one short side is against a wall, you have created a square play space with storage on two sides. The side opposite the one touching the wall can be another activity area.

You can have a table dedicated to one activity, such as little cars, interlocking building blocks, or drawing/painting. The second and third photos show a table dedicated to little cars, and storage display on picture rails on the wall.

The fourth photo shows a large activity toy on a table.

I can attach four photos at one time. They may or may enlarge on this post. (I am using an iPad.)
May 3, 2013 at 3:30pm     
nasmijati
More activity areas:

A specific place for dramatic play would be good. Put the toy kitchen and dress-up clothes here.

An arts and crafts area is another idea.
May 3, 2013 at 3:33pm     
studio10001
I will add a small plea against TV's in playrooms.
May 3, 2013 at 3:34pm   
nasmijati
Flooring: If your children are very active, consider wrestling mats.

You might also look at www.softnsafefloors.com.
May 3, 2013 at 3:34pm   
nasmijati
More flooring and high activity level playrooms.
May 3, 2013 at 3:36pm     
studio10001
Wonderful, wonderful ideas you are getting here. If you are interested in maintaining a theme, I have an ideabook started for someone else w a similar problem; you can access by clicking on my name.
May 3, 2013 at 3:40pm   
nasmijati
A specific place for reading is a good idea. Some children need a bit of private space for quiet activities, as well.
May 3, 2013 at 3:40pm   
nasmijati
More reading areas...
May 3, 2013 at 3:44pm     
nasmijati
Art display in playrooms.
May 3, 2013 at 3:52pm   
nasmijati
Dual-level playrooms.
May 3, 2013 at 4:04pm   
_victoria_liadan_
In our room we separated the playroom with toys and tv/ radio and stereo with a leather couch I love it
May 3, 2013 at 4:11pm   
nasmijati
Here are some tween and teen rooms, some with sofas separating them from other parts of the room.
With very young ones sharing the space, air hockey would probably be safer than foosball, ping-pong, or pool.
May 3, 2013 at 4:18pm     
Best floor for mulitple dogs
Any suggestions on the best flooring for two large...
Ideas to make this common playroom a great playroom?
Hi guys, We recently moved in our new house and...
Age
What age do u think this room will be aimed for?
Horizontal vs. vertical stair rails?
Hey everyone! So my husband and I are about to buy...
Need help with color of wood floors for kitchen
I am doing my cabinets in Kempler hickory brier wood....
Need Help Designing our Main room in New Apartment in Zurich!
The Main room of our apartment needs help! Right now...