Cabinet hardware?
ruffian829
We've painted our kitchen cabinets white, and are looking for some hardware for them. They are all single holes and I was told it was easier to stick with the single hole/screw pulls/knobs.
Should we do the same knobs for the upper and lower cabinets? Same for the drawers?
I kind of like the oil rubbed or black knobs but should we be trying to match the brushed nickel that we have in the bathroom?
And suggestions where to get knobs? Or on specific ones?
0825sam
I think the black or ORB knobs and cup pulls (knobs for cabinets, pulls for drawers) can be a nice look if that is what you are going for - I think of it as being a bit country or traditional so if you want something more contemporary that would not be my choice.
I don't think you need to worry about matching the hardware in your bathroom.
There are higher end places for hardware like Restoration Hardware or Rejuvenation, but you could also find what you're looking for online at home depot. there is also a website called knobs.com that I've ordered from.

May 2, 2013 at 10:28am   
mpoulsom
bathroom and kitchen are 2 totally different rooms.....You don't HAVE to stick to single knobs though....you can drill a second hole. I used long bar pulls and just added a hole on mine.
If you need pulls at a discount, another good option is to check ebay. That's where I bought all of mine and they were half the price. Put "cabinet pulls" in the search box on ebay. Loads of styles for less! :)
May 2, 2013 at 10:49am   
ruffian829
I didn't even think of ebay! Good idea. I was just told "it's easier" if we stick to one hole unless we "really want" ones with two. Since we are redoing the entire house easier= better right now
May 2, 2013 at 11:03am   
mpoulsom
It's easier, yep....but what do you WANT? lol!
what style are you going for exactly? traditional, country, contemporary?

p.s. ebay is another great place for buying kitchen faucets and sinks sometimes too. I got 2 faucets that I LOVE on ebay and wouldn't have been able to buy regular plain jane ones at home depot for the same price.
May 2, 2013 at 11:16am   
Creations by Alno, Inc.
You can try www.myknobs.com they have everything.
May 2, 2013 at 11:18am     
mpoulsom
ruffian, the seller I got my pulls from on ebay is michaela6110............very happy transaction and they are very nice. I think you can even buy one and see if you like it and they will ship it for free on the sample. That's what I did, because I was afraid it would be an inferior product at the prices. but it was not . and then if you decide to go with them send them an email about shipping the multiples together. For some reason, I'm thinking that ebay doesn't have things set up for multiple orders from the same seller. FYI. But these people were very nice and easy to communicate with.
May 2, 2013 at 11:24am     
ruffian829
Thanks :) What do I want?? That's a loaded question ;) what I want is a completely renovated kitchen! Haha. It IS in our plans, the painting of the cabinets and everything is just to buy us a few years.
I'd say we have a bit of a country/transitional style ... "Homey and comfy" when we re-do the kitchen I think we'll probably go for a distressed white cabinet country look.
May 2, 2013 at 11:49am   
ruffian829
Oh and my dads a contractor/plumber so he gets kohler (sp?) faucets at a discount - so that is what we got for the bathroom.
... We need to replace the kitchen sink when we replace the counter tops (just going cheap laminate from Home Depot for the time being) he wants to just get a stainless steal sink which I'm not thrilled about but I don't want to get a nice sink now and then have to buy another in a few years when we redo the kitchen...
May 2, 2013 at 11:51am     
alwaysdesigning
I found exactly what I wanted for our new house on EBay; I searched by "lot" and got excellent pricing for black round knobs and black cup pulls from two different highly approved vendors. It averaged out to 67 cents each so I saved a bundle for our new house. As an alternative,for the house we sold I just bought some hammered bronze spray paint and painted multiple coats on every knob in the house; they have worn extremely well and you can't beat it for saving money. Good luck
May 2, 2013 at 11:56am   
0825sam
Is your counter unusable? I do see something weird going on above the stove?
Just wondering if it makes sense to replace (even cheaply) if you want to do the whole kitchen in a couple of years. Not to try to act like your mom - sometimes we just need an internet stranger to ask the obvious questions :)
May 2, 2013 at 11:59am   
A Crew of Two
Get pulls you love so you do not have to replace them in a few years- they can be pricey. As far as the sink, a sink should last more than a few years so get what you like...you can reuse it. If budget is a huge issue of course get the deal. Do you have a ReStore near you? You can get sinks, drawer pulls etc for super cheap. We bought a brand new Kohler sink for $15 and got the drawers pulls for 25 cents each
May 2, 2013 at 12:00pm   
mpoulsom
good idea on the ReStore kelly!
May 2, 2013 at 12:15pm   
ruffian829
I'm not sure about restore ill have to look it up!
No the counter is not unusable per se, but it's pretty bad. I was initially going to paint it with one of those kits but I figured the cost of the kit vs the cheap counter from Home Depot almost evens out. If we get a nice sink put in, will we be able to re-use it when we eventually re-do the kitchen? I was just told we wouldn't be able to.
Budget is getting to be a bit of a concern- things are adding up quick! Thankfully my dad does the plumbing (we already gutted the bathroom) and his friend who's a carpenter took down a wall for us and his friend who is an electrician did a ton of work to.
May 2, 2013 at 12:26pm   
ruffian829
Above the stove is that fan/vent thing and a little corner shelf. In the photo it's pulled away from the wall so we could get in behind it to paint. Next to it the dishwasher has a butcher block thing on top which I'm not sure if we are going to keep or replace with the new countertop...
May 2, 2013 at 12:29pm   
0825sam
Depending on the counter you may not be able to get an undermount sink - I think that is a nice update so if you can't get an undermount sink with whatever counter you are getting, I would skip purchasing a new sink and wait until you put in whatever your upgraded counter would be. Honestly, just in my humble opinion having lived with a horrible kitchen for 3 years before we gutted the whole thing, save your money especially if you have a lot to do in the home, and get the counter you really want later.
I am sure your painted cabinets and knobs will make a big difference.
May 2, 2013 at 12:38pm     
ruffian829
I love the sink that's there. It's huge!! But it is cracked and broken in spots but I could definitely live with it. It's the counters that are awful with their shiny metal siding. And kinda covered in paint now.. We were not the most careful with them.

Maybe I should re-consider painting them?
May 2, 2013 at 1:07pm   
mpoulsom
no....don't waste your time...just get the laminate ones from home depot....they look good and are not expensive. THAT I would spend my money on right now.
My gosh, have you checked craigslist in the material section....you may be able to buy a countertop and sink combo that someone is replacing for granite or something. I would keep my eyeballs open if I were you!
May 2, 2013 at 1:24pm   
Madeline
About the stainless steel sink. I found a TEKA sink a brand which was just starting to be imported into the U.S. at the time and because of that I got a terrific double bowl sink for $17.00 and free shipping. Six of so years later and it looks wonderful. Yes, I too thought I'd be able to do my entire kitchen by now, but "life" in all its nitty gritty had a different, far different idea for my husband and me, and so I'm very glad I took that eBay deal when the opportunity came up. I always say never rule out eBay and I sometimes say please do not let your father rule you. You can be nice and loving because he is your father but at the same time because he is your father if he senses any loss of willpower on your part, it's a done deal. After all he's a plumber and this is his world. I mean absolutely no disrespect. But assert yourself and CHOOSE what you want. Sure one hole is easier than two. Anyone with a good pair of eyes doesn't have to even be told that, they can see that! However easier, let's see... it may not be "easier" when it comes to opening the drawer or the door of the cabinet and all you can grasp is that pretty small...knob. Please first and foremost find the hardware you love you want, in your price point, MPoulsom had an excellent suggestion. Adding an extra hole shouldn't add a whole lot (pun is intended) of time to the total length of the project. And you know what else. I bet this is your first kitchen, and you probably really WANT to spend the time to do stuff like drill a second hole in your drawer or your cabinet in your kitchen, things that'll look great and will add to the pride you feel every time someone says "Oh, really, you put these handles in!
May 2, 2013 at 2:45pm   
mpoulsom
3cdrx-3771887363@sale.craigslist.org

don't know if you can see this link...but this is a perfect example of what you MAY find on craigslist. people are redoing homes and kitchens like mad right now it seems. I redid my whole kitchen for about $3000. DIYer here, but also a bargain hunter. I was about to just do laminate on mine too. Had always wanted concrete counter tops, but the estimates were as much as granite. Boyfriend convinced me we could do them ourselves. We did them for about $350 total and we even added an L shaped bar to the kitchen.
May 2, 2013 at 3:30pm   
ruffian829
Thanks! Ill definitely check out Craigslist!

And Madeline- I get what your saying. It definitely is my dads world. In fact, if it were not for him we would not have been able to buy this house. We just wouldn't have the skills and know-how to do everything it needs (or the budget to hire people). I do think his thought process is easier now because a) were anxious to move in and b) we will be redoing the kitchen. That being said, he is good about asking what we want and if I find knobs I really want with two holes we will get them and drill the other hole. BUT I also can't see me falling in love with some specific knob... I just want one that'll work and look good and I'm set. I'm awful at picking stuff like this out... I wish there were only like four different types of knobs and six colors of paint lol.
May 2, 2013 at 6:55pm   
Madeline
I here you. Sometimes choice can be your true enemy. lol
May 2, 2013 at 9:53pm   
My house is too dark
We bought a beautiful Victorian in the country we're...
How do I fill this empty space?
We have about a foot of clear space above the refrigerator...
Yikes! Where do I begin with this Kitchen? Needs an update!
Any suggestions on how to update my kitchen? I would...
Narrow/small kitchen need help
Hi all, Attached here is the new floorplan of my kitchen,...
Gray owl paint
I recently painted my bedroom walls with Gray Owl....