What to do with front porch after removing ugly awning???
alphhmalc
I'm purchasing this house and I really want to make the front porch look good. A very ugly awning was removed and the house was painted. Not sure how to dress it up now though. Any suggestions??? I hate those old fabric and metal awnings by the way so I want to avoid them at all costs. Thanks!
alwaysdesigning
To keep your home very clean looking with a leaning to modern, I would search out some awnings that can give some interest to your house; I could see this one over your entry door and over the double window along the front yard entry;the slight curve seems less harsh and more interesting

[houzz=FORMA Design]
[houzz=Custom Arched Copper and Iron Window / Door Awning]
the other windows, if needed, could be something with a more pared down and minmal look;
[houzz=Cow Hollow Historic Home]

good luck
May 2, 2013 at 11:50am     
studio10001
If you don't go with an awning, it gets tricky. The only easy solution I can see is a low slope -which I think look worse, (and lonely). The newer metal awnings have great scrolled options, which would look well here mimicked by recolouring your handrail, and and accent under the top gable to replace that white board. The rest is landscaping. Hope you will reconsider?
May 2, 2013 at 12:18pm   
mpoulsom
You could do a pergola type structure coming out across the front/left part of the house!
May 2, 2013 at 12:28pm     
studio10001
Loss of window functionality?
May 2, 2013 at 12:33pm   
mpoulsom
May 2, 2013 at 12:33pm     
Pergola would be lovely. May I suggest your painting that white peak the same color as the house?

Here is a comparison for you….I like the fact there are no shutters on this house and the windows outlined in the darker color.

May 2, 2013 at 12:38pm     
mpoulsom
doesn't have to be...and there's even a pergola I saw that actually came out from the roof.....looked a bit strange, but could work I guess. I think he would be able to do something between the window and roofline though.
See if I can find that other pic.
May 2, 2013 at 12:39pm   
studio10001
*L*
May 2, 2013 at 12:39pm   
studio10001
-Well, there you go; I'm focused on rain/ snow and thinking vines up the porch?!
May 2, 2013 at 12:42pm     
mpoulsom
here's one that is built out slightly from the roofline???

]
May 2, 2013 at 12:43pm     
studio10001
The historic vic pic looks like a low slope to me, so let me eat my words about their execution.
May 2, 2013 at 12:49pm   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Hey I'm liking where you guys are taking this! Nothing to add... Cool
May 2, 2013 at 12:53pm     
leelee
Do you have a garage? If so you won't actually be using the front door much yourself. I think the suggestions above are great. One little thing that would give your house more appeal is if you painted the white siding at the peak the same color as the rest of the house. Doesn't seem like it's a feature that needs attention called to it and it seems to chop the tops of your windows. Ah, I just saw another comment for painting the peak...so now you've heard it twice.
May 2, 2013 at 1:04pm     
alphhmalc
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I guess I never really looked into the more modern metal awnings before. The examples you guys showed me look great. I'm going to have to keep digging and find one that I really like. Awning convert :). The pergola actually looks good too. Maybe in a nice dark wood color. Ahh, too many ideas now. You have all been a big help. Thank you.
May 2, 2013 at 1:10pm     
What to do with these ugly awnings?
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what we...
Front porch and awning
Please help me choose what kind of awning I should...
What do I do with our front porch?
I want to redo our front porch. I thought about building...
This is my new project. What to do with the front porch.
Well of course I ripped it off. I painted the house...
I have a cave in the middle of my backyard .what do I do with it?
The cave is positioned between the main house and the...
Tap water or bottled water?
When you're thirsty, what do you grab - the tap and...
counter tops please
What is the name of this counter top pls. thanks........
This or that: Lawn vs Pebbles
If you were starting from scratch, which would you...
Does anybody know of any 74.5 in. bathroom vanities on sale?
This is just speculation right now since it'll be a...