FACELIFT
drygirl04May 2, 2013
Need help deciding on what to do with the front facad and landscaping for this house. I am inspired by the Arts and Crafts/Craftsman style but just need advice/suggestions. Thank you,
No shutters at all and a grey paint on the exterior. Need to tie the body of your house to the hip roof.
Chimney Corners
Traditional Elegance
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 12:49PM
Alchemy/Design Studio
Hello! Usually the trick to transforming a ranch like this is to add more dimension and depth. That usually means adding a porch, bigger, bolder molding/trim elements, and window boxes. Hopefully the before & after pictures below will serve as inspiration! Let me know if you need additional help!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 1:02PM
alwaysdesigning
Just do a little research on how the craftsman look is represented. Remove the shutters, trim out the windows in wide trim; paint a contrast color. Replace the front door with craftsman style; remodel the porch to fit the look; add some horizontal look at the base of your windows the length of the wall in a contrast color and/or texture. Keep your colors "earthy". Keep it all looking balanced and clean looking. You will want input from a residential designer to help lay out a plan of timeframes to get all done in a cohesive manner. Good luck

1 Like    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 1:26PM
pattiegoode
I think the pic posted by alwaysdesigning that is NW Contemporary has some good ideas for you. Your house is at ground level like that house. The "front porch" aspect is an open portico with Craftsman-style columns. If you are willing to add something similar to the front of your house, you are on your way! To start, the shutters must go. What is your siding: vinyl or wood? If you can repaint, that will help. Check out this thread for some expert advice on what makes a house Craftsman-style: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/449087/Jennie-Dearman
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 2:14PM
drygirl04
Thank you for all suggestions. What about the landscape? Trees, bushes and such? I know that I want to plant a River Birch but what else and where. Not fond of the concrete landscape block retaining wall either. The bush/thing to the far left is already gone. The front of the house faces south. Full sun in afternoon. Very hot in the summer. Not very good at choosing but can visualize once I have some ideas. Want to do the design and work myself. Any suggestions? Thanks again.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:46AM
Keep in mind that you have to incorporate your roof into any designs.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 9:28AM
drygirl04
Please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by incorporating the roof into the design or tying the body of the house to the hip roof?
    Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 9:32AM
Facelift help and a better sense of style
I'd like to give the front of the house a face-lift...
rvarch
Homefront needs a Facelift..Any Ideas?
Just purchased this house and the outside of it needs...
Melissa Fischer
Facelift
I would like ideas on how to change the front of this...
joziemagnolia
Advice on facelift for daggy 70's tudor to modern tudor/hamptons?
my thoughts so far are to have the brick tuckpointed,...
Stacia Knox
Before and After Family Room Facelift
A Midwestern Family Room Facelift. Simple changes...
Interior Designs By Susan Waldrum
Looking for design ideas on finishing basement
I have a 1100+ sqft basement with a 9ft ceiling. I...
shaktee9
Wanting a newer look
I want to change the colour and tile. Any suggestions...
lorifritz
side table advice
Hi there! I'm looking for side tables that would blend...
Sarah
Bedroom help needed please
Bought new nightstand, mercury glass lamps... trying...
Julie Dyer
side table advice
Sarah