Wall Color Suggestions
Sharyn
New furniture and rug just arrived! New tables on the way (see pic). Ignore wall art and existing tables and lamps - they are going. I'd love to do a chocolate brown on the walls, but afraid it will turn into a cave. I'm considering BM Kona or Lodge. Kona is deeper richer, lodge more subdued. Which would you choose? Color must coordinate with BM Wedgewood grey which is used in adjacent DR and kitchen. Thank you!
Sharyn
More pics of furniture which has a chevron pattern. Using this fabric for curtains and pillows. Also pictured is my inspiration room from Houzz.
May 2, 2013 at 6:31pm   
Do a deep hocolate brown on the sofa wall and stick with your Wedgwood Grey on the other walls and you should be fine. You'll need table and floor lamps here and there to help with lighting in the evening. I like what you have selected and think it will all be beautiful together.
May 2, 2013 at 6:40pm     
Sharyn
I was considering brown for the entire room. I never thought of using blue in this room too - worth considering. Thank you!
May 2, 2013 at 6:44pm   
Nancy Walton
I agree with Carolyn, the dark brown behind your sofa will really accent the lighter colors in the room, and your other choices are great!
May 2, 2013 at 6:45pm     
lauralort
Absolutely go dark! Choose a paint with a bit of sheen to help light move around the room. As for the colors, Wedgewood gray is from their Historical collection, so possibly one of the browns in that collection would work. Try Norwich Brown (HC-19) or Plymouth Brown (HC-73) might be good choices (although I also like the browns you listed.) Have you looked at Sherwin Williams? The have a beautiful color called Cardboard SW6124. Their Duration Home brand is great. What ever you do, be sure to buy some samples and paint several swatches before you buy! Good luck!
May 2, 2013 at 6:56pm     
A Crew of Two
Love your choices, but I think your rug may be too small. Like the color ideas by Carolyn
May 2, 2013 at 6:56pm     
Sharyn
@LAURALORT - I like those colors too. BM has a great room paint program that I've been using a lot. Your color choices look nice too. Oh decisions decisions. I'm just afraid of turning the room into a cave, but it's only paint right? I can always repaint.
@Kelly - The rug was sized for the couch and room. It was suggested I go with this size because the room is long and narrow. The next size choice was square which wouldn't have worked at all. Keep in mind the furniture is not in the right placement in this picture. I'm not even sure I have the chairs in the right spot.
May 2, 2013 at 7:26pm   
lauralort
I have attached a photo of my front entry room which is painted in the Cardboard (similar to Kona, I think). Forgive the bowling pins.;) You might also notice that my adjacent room is a blue/gray to see how the colors might coordinate. I also meant to mention that if you have a little extra money in your budget you might want to consider adding crown moulding to the room. Depending on how open the room is to the rest of your house, you could probably just add it to this room. It would add a lot of height to the room (helping to eliminate that long & narrow feel) and a more stately presence. I notice your inspiration photo has sme beautiful crown. You could probably get a quality installer & painter to do this for less than $400. Best of luck, I look forward to your "after photos!
May 2, 2013 at 8:11pm     
Sharyn
Beautiful entry hall Laura. Your color is more caramel where as the Kona is more chocolate, the Lodge brown is in between. All will work for my room. I'll go get a sample and try it. My home is very traditional and has 9' ceilings. I have crown in my dining room and it makes sense to add it to the formal living room as well. I will!! My next debate is what color to paint the hallway that connects all my rooms together. I love the blue,but don't want too much of it. I like the browns, but again , too much? I need a coordinating color to tie them all together but still has a wow factor. A vanilla color is in my fabric but BLAH! That dilemma will be for another post.
May 3, 2013 at 7:55am   
Paint all walls not just one. Try a soft gray. Then put a very large mirror over. Sofa. That's it. Keep it simple.
May 3, 2013 at 8:07am     
Lamp need to be bigger taller use white shades. Base can be silver.
May 3, 2013 at 8:09am     
Go with gray from dining room keep all walls same color. Get bigger chest type end tables. On coffee table go glass and wood. Put pillows on sofa pick up color from rug.
May 3, 2013 at 8:11am     
Remove chest in corner. Add big plant like a palm.
May 3, 2013 at 8:12am     
Sharyn
Thx Travis...great lamp advise, ones pictured are not staying. Chest is also not staying, I should have mentioned that too. I like the plant idea. Existing sofa pillows will be replaced with pillows from my fabric shown. Tables are on the way and included in pics from original post. Here is a pic of my kitchen and dining room with the blue I mentioned. In as much as I love grey (my bedroom is grey and I love it) it just wont work in the Living room, I tried. Maybe the hallway?? Blue in pics is BM wedgewood grey shaded with more grey, and BM atmospheric on the ceiling in the DR. The DR pics at the time was an unfiished room - since then walls have been accessorized and lights changed out etc. and most importantly, that stupid fake plant on the china cabinet is history.
May 3, 2013 at 8:37am   
decofriend
An interesting commentary of ideas. Lots of decisions. You have a great space and love the neutral furnishings. I highly recommend a much larger rug. It is beautiful. Grays are replacing browns as the neutral of choice for this decade. Consider BM revere pewter for hallway and a bit darker for living room. Definitely add the crown molding in white. Use rug colors for accents in room. Your room will be lovely. Sorry I cannot vote for the browns which I love but it is sooooo much better to catch a decorating wave in the beginning vs. the end.
May 3, 2013 at 8:37am   
Gray has been popular for about 8 years now so I figure it will phase out in the not too distant future.
May 3, 2013 at 8:49am   
Grays there are so many shades now. It is here to stay. I love the dining rm walls. What color is that? Why wouldn't DR gray work in living rm? Maybe we are not seeing the same color of your furn in pics. I think it would be perfect. We really don't do just accent colors too 1990 s. I agree rug is too small. 8 x10 or 6 x 9 would be better. And a little brighter blues and darker grays. Make it thicker and plush. Your home is very nice.
May 3, 2013 at 8:58am     
You didn't ask. But picture in dining room to small and too high. Sorry.
May 3, 2013 at 9:00am   
Sharyn
The picture of the furniture looks greyish, but it is actually an ivory and brown chevron pattern. I'm avoiding "trendy" colors - I learned my lesson with the 80's mauve and blue stage as well as the 90's greens and peach, and the 2000's reds. I'd prefer to pick a color that enhances the room and it's furnishings. I agree the picture in the kitchen eating area is a bit high - I've had it awhile so it might be replaced if I find something better. Great suggestions - Keep them coming. I'm all tapped out on the creative thinking.
May 3, 2013 at 12:23pm     
Chrissy McCleery
I might try the same color that is around the edge of the carpet.. Get some samples and blue tape them tothe walls . See what is your favorite at different times of the day
May 3, 2013 at 12:52pm   
Kathy Appel, ASID
Hi Sharyn - Are you keeping the wall unit? If yes than consider what the paint color will look like behind the wall unit. The cherry finish is a red - brown hue and a dark value. Kona and Lodge are both similar in value and hue to the cherry. The wall unit will fade into those colors. If you want to stay with brown hues try a medium value - dark enough for the sofa to stand out but light enough for the wall unit to show - maybe BM Taupetone. If it's the dark value you like consider pulling a blue from the rug in a dark value.
May 4, 2013 at 7:50am   
Sharyn
UPDATE: Painting is done!! I chose BM Spanish Brown for this room. Very pleased. Looking for new lamps and artwork. I also painted my hallway - BM Broken arrow. I used these colors in my family room and powder room (Pictured). All my painting is done...now the decorating - the fun part- is next.
May 30, 2013 at 7:35pm     
Sharyn
I have this print (pictured)., that I'm using in my hallway. What size picture would look right above the sofa? I was thinking rectangle instead of square - something warm yet transitional.
May 30, 2013 at 8:12pm     
Sharyn
Some very pretty artwork...I'll check out the site.
May 30, 2013 at 8:44pm     
Living Room Arrangement help!
We moved into our house about a month ago and I just...
Bedroom help
I ordered a chocolate brown bedroom set... What would...
Side table
Hi guys, I'm looking for a side table that will go...
need help with painting open floor plane rooms
I have an open floor plan home that gets a lot of light....
Living room ideas!
Hi all! Here's our living room. I would love ideas...