Expand kitchen but lose dining room?
MCD DD
We are considering knocking out a wall to expand our kitchen and open up the space. We would have plenty of space for a big table but will lose our dining room. Curious if sacrificing the dining room for the kitchen is the way to go?
Ed
Hi MCD, congrats on your remodel. Could you post some photos of your space ? Photos could be very helpful. Opening up the space sounds like an excellent idea, and you probably don't have to "lose" anything. Photos could help. :)
May 2, 2013 at 6:51pm   
Having attended a CEU class this week on kitchen trends, I know that the trend is for one table that serves both breakfast and dinner needs, and presumably every lunch or snack in between, too. Everyone want to gather in the kitchen, so let them do that with a table there and say goodbye to your dining room.

It's changing the way we furnish our living areas because there is one large living area, made up of the family room, kitchen and dining area, all in one. So there's only one color scheme. We having to learn how to present some variety in the different areas of what is essentially one space.
May 2, 2013 at 7:09pm   
Dullea and Associates Inc.
It would be nice to see some photos and/or a floor plan but your situation sounds familar. Many older ranch style homes have been transformed by knocking down the wall between the kitchen and dining room. In many cases this can provide adequate space for an expanded kitchen. In most cases the old living room is converted into a dining room. Is this similar to your situation?
May 2, 2013 at 7:16pm   
With just one dining room, it's best to keep it somewhat defined while being opened to the kitchen as well for causal dining.
May 2, 2013 at 7:49pm   
Need help expanding my kitchen and dining room
I am adding on to my house and redoing my kitchen....
Should I remove my dining room to expand my kitchen.
I'm trying to decide if I should tear down a wall to...
Expanding a living room/dining room
I'm trying to open up a dining room that is closed...
Expanding a kitchen remodel into an unused formal dining space
For a busy family of four with a lifestyle of get up...
Need Help with expanding Kitchen into Dining Area
Details - Open up space to extend the Kitchen into...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
How to blend modern and classic design for my bathroom
Our house has the classic clive christian Victorian/regency...
What is Australian style?
Australia: it's a big, brown island that has taken...
Pls Help me choose colors (#2)
Hello there - Moving into a new home. Quick facts,...