What to put on Fireplace
pazzam
This room is a grand kitchen/dining. We wanted the area Cathedral so it is about 25ft h. I'm thinking something grand on this fireplace but there's alot going on in here so not sure. The dining Table and chairs will be switched out eventually. Any ideas?
A very large round clock with Roman numerals. Check Ballards on line.
2 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 6:49AM
pazzam
Thx but I don't want time to be a focal point of the room.
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 6:57AM
What do you want to be the focal point? Personally, I think leaving it the way it is makes a grand statement!
3 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:01AM
My first choice is always art or an artifact. This room has both: a fabulous piece of art and and antique door on the wall:
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 7:02AM
nasmijati
I actually like the fireplace the way it is decorated now. As you say, there is a lot going on (architecturally) in the space. I do not think additional decoration is needed.
2 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:02AM
pazzam
Perhaps a large mirror
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:02AM
Brenda
I would put a few carefully selected, transistional white "things" on the mantel to POP off the stone and to tie it into the kitchen, but I wouldn't hang anything ON the stone.

Love the architecture of your home.
2 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:06AM
Funny- almost posted a long rectangular mirror to reflect the light from the chandy, it would take a lot of searching for the right one or it could look gaudy.
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 7:06AM
pazzam
I did think about tying in some white. Thx
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:11AM
leelee
Have you considered putting the stone over the whole wall including the top of the cabinets? The chandelier over your dining table should be no more than 30-36" over the table.

Your home is lovely, absolutely gorgeous! I think a beautiful painting over the mantel would add interest, color and personality to the space. You could add a table runner and a bowl of lemons to your table. Here are some ideas for a painting.
5 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:16AM
carolins
Something like this on the fireplace mantle would look nice. And one day you could paint the back wall in a shade similar to your kitchen island. Also, if you could lower the chandelier... Can't say by how much, but I do think it will look even better when it's lower down in the room. Beautiful kitchen!
http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2480186&categoryId=cat2360174
3 Likes   Thanked by pazzam    May 3, 2013 at 7:30AM
carolins
@leelee, love those paintings!
2 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:32AM
Ann
I like carolins idea of the Restoration Hardware pieces (either 3 or 5) and nothing else on the hearth or stone wall. Beautiful space!
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 7:38AM
kimdee24
@leelee -- you need to stop posting that bird picture because every time I see it I want to run over to PB and buy it!
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 7:45AM
Genevieve
Yes paint the wall just like in the picture this will make the fireplace blend in . hang small or oa large piece of art on the vertical , http://www.allposters.ca/gallery.asp?startat=/getPoster.asp&frameSku=4129400_9201947-350495
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:53AM
I'm not one to advise mirrors, but if you lower that great chandelier and put just the right mirror over the mantel it will double the beauty of it and that's what mirrors should do. Keep the mirror in scale with the kitchen cabinetry on the right and don't feel that the entire width of the chandy has to be reflected. You might consider tweaking the mantel itself. I would go with glossy black so it picks up on the counter tops, or if you like a more modern pop, try a stainless look. Not sure you can make use of products from the "Instant Granite" company over wood, but they have a stainless "wrap" that might do the trick. The brown of the current dining set and mantel just seem off from the rest and especially the silvery gray tones of the chandy. When lowering it and buying a new dining set, keep in mind that a general rule of thumb is to have the chandy be 1/2 the width of the table, so 1/4 of the sides of the dining surface are out from under the fixture. This way people dining don't feel like something is hanging over their heads. Since your chandy is already so large, you can break this "rule" by hanging it above the standard over the table height of 36" or less. Consider stationary panels hung floor to ceiling that coordinate with the fabric on the new dining chairs you purchase.
2 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:54AM
nasmijati
I agree with the above suggestions to lower the chandelier to the correct height for your space/table.
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 8:17AM
leelee
kimdee, girl, go get it.
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 8:19AM
kimdee24
Too much cash!
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 8:21AM
leelee
Hi pazzam, if you would consider adding two slipcovered chairs on the ends of your dining table that would give it more weight and break up the sameness of the chairs. You could go with arms or not.
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 8:22AM
leelee
It's almost Mother's Day, treat yourself!
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 9:33AM
Old World Stoneworks
I think the fireplace stone is too heavy for the room. Too dark. You could take the stone off - its not hard to do more than likely it is the thin stick on type, not thick masonry. A lighter colored mantel for your firebox would look great, even one with an overmantel. The overmantel does not have to go to the ceiling. Without overmantel and just the lower mantel would look wonderful. Look at options on www.oldworldstoneworks.
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 9:53AM
Homes Sold Beautifully
I would try a long rectangular canvas to the right of the fireplace on the mantel, painted in colors that compliment the cream and grey of the room (a canvas with black, off white and silver tones would work easily). To the left of the fireplace I would put either cream ceramic accessories (grouped in 3), or otherwise a grouping of three silver accessories would work seamlessly too. Good luck!
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 9:55AM
pazzam
I'm glad to hear from you as I am trying to stage this for sale. So I don't want to remove or replace the fireplace rather than make it more attractive. Will try grouping 3 accessories. Would you suggest leaning the Canvas or hanging?
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 10:14AM
leelee
I would make the fireplace the focal point and not dilute it's importance or visual impact. I love the look of the stone and the mantel with it.
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 10:18AM
sstarr
I find the chandelier, the fireplace and the kitchen to all be at odds with each other, style-wise. To bring the elements together, I would lower the chandelier by about two feet, paint the end wall a very dark color, and replace or repaint the mantel a similar dark color. In this way, the white cabinets will pop and have a kind of luxury-hip vibe that will harmonize with the chandelier. At that point, your fireplace will blend in, and you can put anything you want on the mantel. However, I think you should stay with either white or silver objects there.
2 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 10:20AM
Nice! Why didn't you say so? We'd look at it totally differently if we had known you were staging. We could have cut to the chase! I'm sure a lot of comments won't apply now. To sell it quick, make it say "home."
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 10:22AM
modesigns
Your dining/kitchen is stunning with the tall stone column! I have a suggestion which should enhance the stone work & mantel. Try adding a square black pot with lime green grass - make it a threesome to further its architectural appeal. And the vase on the island - replace it with a rectangular chrome/silver container with moss balls or something to continue the lime green effect on the kitchen side. The lime green will stand out beautifully against the grey/black/brown backdrop.
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 10:26AM
leelee
Looks perfect to put on the market...why would you spend any money when nothing's really broken? Your home will show well and you can't second guess what a prospective buyer will want to change or keep. Don't paint anything. Fresh flowers all over.
2 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 10:29AM
pitbulls
Tall silver vases
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 10:32AM
pazzam
Leelee, I love the art you've shown. Where to get somthing like that? Yes the chanelier isn't placed low enough. That's an easy and sure to be fix. I really love the ideas of contrasting that back wall to a darker paint/matching with Island color. Originally we were to incorporate the stone throughout the back wall and continue with a smaller (same family stone) for the back splash. I love the idea of painting it. That's an easy fix! Thx
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 10:34AM
carolins
Okay... with decoenthusiaste's idea of 'make it say home' in mind, you could put this on the mantle. Done! http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Birds-on-a-Wire-Home-Posters_i8217863_.htm
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 10:37AM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I think an aged mirror...something from Restoration hardware or art-something to fit that belgium like feel of your kitchen cabinetry but also marry well with the modern chandelier and clean lines of the fireplace.
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 10:53AM
pazzam
That's where the conceptual design originally was to go. Modern with some old. My original idea of placing the mirror was to catch the light reflection (once I lower this darn chandy). I was also thinking Restoration. Can you input on that Carolins? Thx
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 10:59AM
carolins
Haha... oh, okay... right... mirror over fireplace...
Picked one from RH, probably not to scale in this mock-up below, but it gives you an idea.
I like the idea of a mirror reflecting the chandelier.
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 11:12AM
donnasd
Hi Pazam,

I think if you already own either a large mirror OR an equally large & beautiful painting, you could choose one of those to use above the fireplace. You wouldn't have to put more money in than is necessary for a successful staging. Just carefully prop the item on the mantel up against the stone.
Do you have something now that might work?
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 12:56PM
modesigns
A tall object d'art against the stone wall takes away from the rugged beauty of the stone. Moreover the chandelier will lose itself once a mirror is placed at the back. Maybe a medium-sized starburst or similar mirror placed just above the mantel would work.
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 2:24PM
Louisa Borowick
I agree with the idea of a mirror over the fp but select an oval or round one to break up all the linear elements.
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 2:54PM
It's a Beautiful World!
I think, a square art piece would keep the eye within the human scale of the room. B&W piece may work, as may a more colorful one. I don't think a mirror adds much interest to the space, sorry.... Raisa Into The Night I by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg - canvas art, art print, giclee Multicolored Fractured Reality by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg - canvas art, art prin
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 2:58PM
Hummingbird Designs
Sample
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 3:03PM
Hummingbird Designs
But .... Your area is much mor contemporary . A large star burst mirror would be better :)
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 3:10PM
soozmacrae
I think you should leave the wall as it is. its fab. I would most definately lower the lovely light though. As said before, a select group of white bowls of vases on mantle would look good.
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 3:41PM
Coates Design Architects Seattle
Art! That's what the mantel needs. Leelee had some good ideas.
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 4:00PM
marissah. liadan
A very large piece of colorful abstract art
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 4:16PM
It's a Beautiful World!
Happy others agree that you should have an art piece! :) Check out our page for a variety of colorful art.

If you see anything youl ike, we are running a Mother's Day Sale of ALL art, you will get a 20% discount on artist's commission now through 05/15/2013! Enter this code at check out: JAEPJJ ... Raisa
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 4:32PM
laurae1967
We are selling our house and had it professionally staged. Buyers want a fabulous kitchen and master bed/bath. If you pick the right paint color it could look great and help unify the two spaces.

For me, the spaces don't not feel unified. The kitchen is black and white and looks traditional/transitional. The fireplace is gray and feels modern and the chandelier is glam! The dining table is warm wood and traditional in style. It just doesn't work together. I think a black wrought iron chandelier would look better but you are unlikely to change what you have so i would just hang it lower. I think a large art canvas would look nice on the mantel but not so high as to reach the height the cabinets. The cabinets and mantel are so high/vertical and whatever you put on the mantel should break it up. The artwork would need to complement the kitchen, new paint color and dining room furniture. I also don't like the vase of flowers on the table. Find a more attractive display (large wood bowl or wrought iron tiered baskets with fruit, etc.)
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 4:54AM
pitbulls
I love that chandelier with your beautiflul fireplace.I wouldn' change anything except to lower the chandelier as stated several times.
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 5:41AM
pazzam
I don't like the vase either. Was a temp plug in. I was looking for something on their. thx for the suggestions. The chandelier will be lowered 2ft, it's enough attention, especially when it's lit. I tried putting an existing simple canvas up on the fireplace and it was just way too much going on. I'm now swayed on a mirro, it will become too much. I think I like Carolins idea of grouping a few objects in white simple. Definitely paint the wall darker, or the gray/blue of the island?
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 10:41AM
carolins
I think that painting the wall the colour of the island will be a good, safe choice. It will give a cohesive look, it is a beautiful colour and it is not too dark.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 10:48AM
pazzam
Thx!
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 11:00AM
carolins
forgot to add: 'fingers crossed' ;-)
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 11:03AM
Can you lower light about 3 feet? That would help. Put very tall candlesticks maybe tall thin vases in a color. Would like to see a more modern table. Maybe black. With fabric chairs in a white and gray/black print. Chandelier. Very glam, needs a better table. Love the kitchen and firepl.
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 11:08AM
Also a area rug make sure all furn can fit on it, in shades of black. Would warm up the room.
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 11:10AM
Also try a very tall 5 ft high mirror with silver framewould bring in depth.
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 11:11AM
pazzam
Right....
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 11:13AM
pazzam
re. carolins "fingers"crossed.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 11:15AM
pazzam
Can't lower Chandy more than 2ft... its big, 25bulb. Too much heat .
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 11:17AM
pazzam
Perhaps a floor plant about 6ft on the left side of this fireplace.
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 2:21PM
Chrissy McCleery
Make mantle higher. Remove light fixture, replace with more traditional iron piece. Hand much lower above table. Also, maybe 2 pendants hanging in kitchen above bar
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 3:16PM
Pamela W. interiors
If a mirror would reflect something nice, I would suggest a contemporary one to mimic the chandelier. Centered.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 4:56PM
indianpatti
Really like this room! I would go with a tall, hammered brushed nickel mirror .. would reflect light, work with the wood floors, the chandelier and also tie in the appliances. I"ve attached one from Dania ... of course, hang it vertically.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 5:27PM
Karen Glassford
Maybe a grouping of frameless mirrors on each side of fireplace
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 7:06PM
You can rent furniture for staging in some metropolitan areas if you need to.
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 7:24PM
pazzam
Just wondering, since when did a "Maria Theresa" chandelier become contemporary? All lighting stores called it a very "Traditional" fixture. The different spin is the color. Yes, an iron fixture would have blended right in, however the goal here was to create a sense of seperation between the kitchen and dining. ( which I didn't discuss anywhere prior), yet tying that feel together. I think going with suggestions of painting that back wall and changing table and chairs will work. (Renting is a great and available option) Thanks for all the great ideas! Will post the after pics.!
1 Like   May 5, 2013 at 4:40PM
Need help choosing paint!
Want a grey paint for our main floor. Kitchen is brown:taupe....
kimba86
Converting 2BHK to 3BHK
We are planning to buy a new apartment which is a 2BHK...
akshayapradeep
Help! Need help choosing a new exterior paint color
We will be repainting our house. I do not like the...
maraweller
Help my kitchen
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them
4tocome
Best Part of Living in the Midwest?
Do you or have you lived in the Midwest? What's the...