Landscaping/curb appeal ideas, please?!
leezlemonMay 3, 2013
Hurricane Sandy flooded my neighborhood with a lovely cocktail of sewage tinged saltwater :( Have spent most of our budget on replacing the boiler/central air/hot water heater/electrical wiring in the house, and am about to begin painting the exterior of the house. But all my landscaping is dead and I need to pull it up! Any ideas that will not cost a fortune and will provide some curb appeal/privacy? Thank you in advance!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leezlemon
I prefer more organic look, softer and less "planned", if that helps
1 Like    Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:02AM
kglanz
beautiful house! Looks like a part shady spot. I would vote for Pieris 'mountain fire' as foundation shrubs with ferns and astilbe - many color choices - in front of the shrubs. edge with ajuga. Ajuga 'burgundy glow' is very pretty. all are softer and love a little shade. can be done on a budget in stages. plant some foundation shrubs now, then buy some more in late fall when nurserys want to sell everything before winter. is the japanese maple dead? if not, all of these would go well with your japanese maple.
    Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:18AM
navyfarr1984
All those trees and shrubs look dead, take the out first. Then see what you have left after you've removed the dead ones then start trimming the ones that are invading the window views. Then I would plant a variety of plants and srubs around the house like they were previously, but by updating the plants will dramatically update your curb appeal. I would also remove the tall scrubs from infront of the bay window and put plants that sit low to the ground there and also landscape around both sides of your walkway with a planter garder full of perennials and annuals.
    Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:24AM
PRO
Ellsworth-Hallett Home Professionals
IMHO, pull the larger bushes away from the house. If you want a sense of privacy, plant a hedge out by the road or a cluster of bushes there, not by the house. Put a couple larger bushes at the corners of the house maybe, then some perennials under the bay, let the house breath a bit. Think about the size the plants will grow to so you never have to own hedge clippers.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:34AM