Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almaalma1

Need help with window treatment

Sharon Freed
10 years ago
I would like to put quarter sawn oak plantation shutters on the bottom half of my living room windows. We live in a 100+ year old home . I think the shutters need to match the gorgeous wood trim in our house. Is there such a thing??

Comments (22)

• Brenda
    10 years ago
    I think you should find a cabinet maker and have them custom made -- that's the only way you are going to get the match that you desire.
  • Sharon Freed
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Any other suggestions for window treatment?
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    You can have shutters made that match the stain of the wood, but not made of quarter sawn oak.
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    what are you window treatment "needs"? ... privacy? light control? insulation qualities? hiding an unsightly view? or just because they are "pretty"? ... do you open and close your window treatments daily, or do they stay in a fixed position?
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree with Brenda :) I love the window don't hide it let its beauty show and its character live . I would like to see a criss- cross Priscilla hanging in that window

http://catalog.sears.ca/wcsstore/MasterCatalog/images/catalog/Product_271/std_lang_all/_0/01/624_17407_A_001.jpg
  • Sharon Freed
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have a porch off this room with an entry that is very seldom used. Our driveway is on the other side of the house and the entry there is what everyone uses. Privacy is not an issue, lighting...I would like to leave the top part of the window uncovered because of the light it lets in but also because the top of the window is much more attractive than the bottom half. Insulation of window is also not an issue.
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    10 years ago
    Why a shutter specifically? Shutters block out so much light for me. I'm just not a fan. Get a shade that can be top down so you can get light in at the top of the window. You can have roman shades like this, cellular, and woven wood. Anything inside mounted will preserve the look of the historical trim.
  • Sharon Freed
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We do not open and close the window treatment. I guess I am most interested in covering the bottom half of the window and showing off the top half, but am tired of these curtains and the don't quite fit the size of the window. Thanks for all suggestions and comments.
  • Sharon Freed
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mona, thanks for your ideas. I've always thought plantation shutters were so attractive but maybe I wouldn't care for them once they were in. Hard to know.
  • misawas156c
    10 years ago
    Why not leave the window bare for now & have a radiator cover made. The radiator cover "top" can then be used for plants, books, pics, etc. The window is attractive on its own.
  • Sharon Freed
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree...the radiator cover has been discussed often and I hope we can get that done soon. I might try letting the window be bare this summer and see how that feels. Thanks!!
  • GA Clemens
    10 years ago
    I agree take the curtain down if privacy is not a concern. The window is beautiful
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    @standfordglass - beautiful! I agree - this would look great in the window. Shutters will make the window completely bottom-heavy and actually detract from the trim. I agree that if privacy is not an issue, just take the curtains down.
  • Ewa Maria Zieba
    10 years ago
    buy any wood shutters and than match stain color to the one that you have. Not a big job.
  • sloanagan
    10 years ago
    Really nice! Stanfordglass how much do you charge for them?
  • nasmijati
    10 years ago
    I bought a stained glass piece made by an artisan to hang across a window. 12 inches tall by 48 inches long. Turned out it looked better at sill level than as a "valance." I hope you will get as much as enjoyment out of a stained glass panel in front of your window as I have.

(Mine was about $600.00 four years ago.)
  • stanfordglass
    10 years ago
    sloanagan: Thank you for admiring this window. I actually have a website you can take a look at. The price for example for a 20X20 window is $350. The valance size eztia mentioned a 12X48 would be $500. My website is www.etsy.com/shop/stanfordglassshop Here are a couple examples of window treatments. Thank you for asking!
  • Nancy S
    10 years ago
    I inherited shutters in my hundred year old house and want to remove them because they make the room too dark, so I would recommend you choose another option.
  • Sharon Freed
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Nancy, your comments and pics are helpful. Think I am changing my mind about the shutters.
  • Nancy S
    10 years ago
    Your welcome. Please share what you decide to do. Here is a picture with the shutters open on the front window.
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    9 years ago
    Woven wood or grass weave shades in similar color tones as your oak casings would be a handsome solution and add texture and harmonize with the oak trim. Have them mounted inside the frame. The denseness of the weave will determine how much light and privacy comes through the shades or you can have them lined.