Need help selecting a granite counter top.
Tatyana Onishenko
We have gutted and built a new Ikea kitchen. I have submitted the original kitchen to this site before and received very informative and creative suggestions which helped us. We are now in the process of deciding on a granite counter top. I do like something with some reflective qualities as we have a lot of light. We have considered...emerald pearl and cosmic black. I also once saw a quartz counter top in Madrid that was black with reflective mirror ... which I like, but my husband is not too crazy about. I am thinking black in a nice contrast with the brown ceiling, hardwood floor and cabinets. I have included one before pic and the rest the new kitchen from different angles to give you an idea of the layout. The counter top will go on the entire peninsula. The cook top will be on the peninsula as well. I would like a 'zen' contemporary look. I look forward to your suggestions. Thank-you in advance for your time and efforts in assisting us.
pitbulls
emerald pearl or blue pearl sounds good to me
May 3, 2013 at 10:36am     
Tatyana Onishenko
Thank-you...I guess it is a matter of personal taste, but I'm finding the decision hard to make.
May 3, 2013 at 11:07pm   
Shannon Pavey
Black galaxy would be beautiful. You should see it in person, it has the reflective quality that you're looking for.
May 3, 2013 at 11:18pm     
Shannon Pavey
Here is a photo of black galaxy granite. The flecks would compliment the cabinetry very nicely. This gray combination is also really unique and beautiful....
May 3, 2013 at 11:21pm     
lbroghammer
I just posted a couple photos on poll. Labrador Black and Blue Pearl GT. We are doing a darker wood too and leaning towards Blue Pearl GT. I love the shimmer and bling.
May 4, 2013 at 5:11am     
Tatyana Onishenko
I really like Black Gallexy and Emerald Pearl...I also like Cosmic Black. We have to order our granite by Monday to get the delivery date we need. Decisions...decisions...I LOVE them all!! Thank-you for your assistance. I look forward to hearing as many opinions as I can. Thank-you again!
May 4, 2013 at 7:26pm   
Tatyana Onishenko
The Blue Pearl really does have shimmer and bling that I love. I just wonder if it ties in with my cabinets and if it is too much for the size of my kitchen. Any thoughts?
May 4, 2013 at 7:30pm   
Wyland Interior Design Center
There is also Blue Eyes which is similar to Blue Pearl and less expensive. What about Cambrian Black, Mesabi Black or a quartz product like Caesarstone's Absolute Noir : 6100 (looks like the Black Galaxy with silver specks).
May 4, 2013 at 7:59pm     
Wyland Interior Design Center
It looks like your new cabinets are cherry wood or is it alder? Hard to tell from photos?
May 4, 2013 at 8:02pm     
Tatyana Onishenko
I was thinking about the Caesarstone's Black with reflective mirror. Has anyone seen what Black Cosmo is like? I don't mind the cost of the Blue pearl....but would it go with our cabinets? They are more alder than cherry.
May 4, 2013 at 8:38pm     
Tatyana Onishenko
Does anyone think that Emerald Pearl would be to dark & would it have enough bling?
May 4, 2013 at 8:39pm   
Shawna MacLellan
I personally like the third choice in the pic..do not see a title,but I like how it draws the appliances and cupboards together
May 4, 2013 at 8:58pm     
Tatyana Onishenko
That would be Blue Pearl, I like it too. I like all the suggestions...LOL! Thank-you everyone, I greatly appreciate everyone's input!!
May 4, 2013 at 10:05pm     
lbroghammer
I love the Blue Pearl! I just ordered mine for my kitchen and now my husband wants it in our master bath because he loves it so much! I love the bling and the richness. I've also heard it's so much easier to keep clean! Good luck, your kitchen is beautiful now...follow your heart!
May 5, 2013 at 5:11am     
JC Gregg
whatever you choose, if you live in a city with Costco, GO THERE and get your granite! They use the same supplier and installers as the Major Big Box Hardware stores. My estimate from HD 5200.00.... Same item from Costco 2600.00. ( both installed price with sink opening and faucet holes included)
May 5, 2013 at 6:05am     
lbroghammer
Since you have to order Monday I was just curious if you made your choice? I'm sure whatever you pick will be beautiful!
May 5, 2013 at 6:58pm     
Tatyana Onishenko
Still trying to decide?? I like all the suggestions...my husband seems to prefer Emerald Pearl. I have till closing time on Monday...LOL!
May 5, 2013 at 7:43pm   
avemaria
Hi Tatyana- My vote is the sample on the far right, which I think you've indicated is Blue Pearl. You can bring some of that beautiful waterfront view into your kitchen that way. Your kitchen will be a reflection of its environment. Happy remodeling! Isn't this Houzz community great fun? :)
May 5, 2013 at 7:55pm     
Lisutin & Co. Interior Design
If you are going for a "Zen" look, I would go with a softer lighter shade for a countertop
May 5, 2013 at 7:56pm     
rolgin
I wish I would have picked a backsplash first and granite to match it next. Unless you are taking the granite up the wall consider picking a backsplash in your taste, color and budget first. Then take that with you to pick out the cabinet. I do think the dark counter top will look beautiful. Good Luck!.
May 5, 2013 at 7:56pm     
rolgin
I meant granite not counter
May 5, 2013 at 7:56pm     
Tatyana Onishenko
I have not made my decision yet...I have till Monday closing time...LOL!
May 5, 2013 at 8:26pm   
Tatyana Onishenko
How would this look? I saw it in a display kitchen...a quartz with reflective mirror. To me it looks like stars in the night sky & the sunlight makes it reflect rainbows. Or is it too much? Thank-you all...Houzz is a fun site!!
May 5, 2013 at 8:30pm   
shshelton
I have blue pearl in my house and it can look gray from some angles. You have a lot of warm tones in your house, so I think one of the first two on the left ( I can't zoom for some reason) would look good with a lighter backsplash
May 5, 2013 at 8:43pm     
lbroghammer
Just curious...did you get your granite yet and what did you decide to go with?!
July 4, 2013 at 5:46am   
Unravel Design
It looks like you're moving towards a more modern kitchen. Try a quartz from Cambria in Durham, the image below doesn't do it's justice - you have to see this in person. It's a touch lighter with brown and gray tones that will pick up from your cabinet finish. Also the slight contrast in reflective material keeps your eyes moving and will not go tiresome.
July 4, 2013 at 4:41pm      Thanked by Tatyana Onishenko
Need help selecting granite top color
I am planning a remodel of kitchen and wish to keep...
Need help selecting granite counter color
Hi- We have decided to go with dark cabinets (coffee...
Need Help Selecting Granite For Kitchen Counters
We are selling our house and need to replace the old...
Need help selecting new bathroom floor to go with existing granite counters.
Exposed brown marble floor tile is dull and worn after...
need help with selecting the counter top for my half bath.
I am remodeling my half bath. have light gray walls...
Need Ideas for Entry please:)
What should I add? I'll be taking them pot plants out....
Hack job on new stairs? Help!!! :-(
I had my floor refinishers replace the treads and risers...
Basement Apartment decor help!
Hi! My boyfriend and I are moving into a basement apartment...
Need paint color advice
I have a small, second floor room in a Cape Cod house....