Long wall and art work help
Katie
Have these cute white shelfs that I want to use in here, long wall so not sure what to do to make this look right. Love art, obviously, and not sure how to place it to make it look right???? Help!
Genevieve
Sorry ! but you have way too much going on there :)
remove everything from the wall and start over by hanging the picture of " The Dancing Butler " on the spot where the 3 pictures are the colours will pick up the cushions , find a small wall for the shelves .,
and another to create something like this http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=how+to+create+a+vignette+with+framed+art&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=0D6E10C4EE796F52B259CAA58C4B21F26DD958F8&selectedIndex=0
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=how+to+place+decorative+shelves+in+living+rooms&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=D7F7EC4CE744154B412D77F0F379D5F14961CD62&selectedIndex=156
May 3, 2013 at 10:48AM     
Katie
Good idea, had thought about that before and putting the shelves on that wall with dancing butler but afraid they'll stick out too far and people will run into them or knock stuff off since its the walkway by the entry way???
May 3, 2013 at 10:51AM   
It is a little too much! You have a mix of five styles I see here, between furniture and art styles, your fixed features like bookcases and the fireplace. You need to settle on a decor style and work to enhance it. The three red hangings are oriental and the white shelves are cottage/country. Plus, they are overloaded with frames that hang over the edges - not a good way to use them at all. I would start again with art for this room and find another space for the orientals and yet another room for the cottage shelves. I would group the black and white art behind the sofa, adding more, and hanging it. You'll need to inject a bit more black into your room for them to look like they belong. Is the furniture arm in the foreground black? That might be a place to start the new theme. Try black pillows instead of all the colored and print ones. Add an area rug with black and red to match the other chair. If that is a mirror above the FP, I'd remove it and use art there too. Mirrors that don't reflect something beautiful or interesting need to be replaced with something interesting or beautiful.
May 3, 2013 at 10:53AM   
Katie
The black you see is a small round table between the sofa and chair and above the FP is a TV. Great advice about using black and white!!!!! You're right, I have collected things that I love and tried to mix them in like I've seen in pics before. Somehow I can't pull it off. Thanks so much! My brother used to help me with this stuff and he picked out the pillows but he's deceased now and they have sentimental value for sure. I'm clueless.
May 3, 2013 at 11:03AM   
pearlmelba
If the cushions have sentimental value to you of course you should keep them Maybe move them to another room
Love your little white shelfs just not sure about what's on them
If you move them
Then you will have maybe holes in the wall so hope you have
Some spare paint to cover the holes
The three red flower pictures are nice but they sadly don't go with the white shelfs
Could you put them in your hallway maybe?
Can we see the room as a whole
What you have over the fireplace
Also what's on the other walls in your room
May 3, 2013 at 11:27AM   
Mona Ives
I'm sorry the shelves are the wrong style and too small for the art work. And you are trying to hang too many things. Sometimes we love something that just doesn't work. I don't mind the pillows I'd just move the black one to the chair and the yellow one to the sofa with the white one. And I'd pair the artwork way down. I'd get rid of the florals over the sofa and take th eother pieces and hang them more gallery style all over the wall.
May 3, 2013 at 11:29AM   
Maybe your brother's selection of pillows would work well on a chaise or settee in your bedroom.
May 3, 2013 at 11:32AM     
Katie
Thank you all so much for the help!!!! Here are a few more pics of the whole room pearlmelba.
May 3, 2013 at 12:05PM   
pearlmelba
Thanks for the pictures of your room love the colour of your walls
What is it ?
You have a nice room full of things that I am
Sure mean lots to you
Maybe take some things off your
White bookcase to much on them less is more
And yes we can see you like art
Maybe your red pictures could go
Up your stairs you seem to have lots one end of
Your room and not much the other balance it out
May 3, 2013 at 12:27PM   
carolins
Can you not put the cute white shelves straight above each other at the bottom of the stairs, where the vase is?
And have you tried the red chair in the corner window/bookcase, angled towards the sectional?
Painting of dancing butler would look much better above the sectional, where the red triptych is. The triptych could go where the butler is. Don't hang it too high. Center should be at about 60" from the floor.

Love the pillows on the sectional. Nice colours.

Wherever you put the shelves, you'll have to place much less on them. You want to display things so there's no point in putting things in front of other things so you can't see the ones in the back.
May 3, 2013 at 12:53PM   
Katie
Pearlmelba, the color of the walls is Elephant from Home Depot. I have had it in the past 2 houses we've owned and I have never gotten tired of it! Love it too.
May 3, 2013 at 2:34PM     
Katie
Carolins great ideas! After looking at more pics on this site I've decided to move the red chair too. With the shelves, I was kind of going for the look you see so often in Pottery Barn catalogs.
May 3, 2013 at 2:37PM   
carolins
Don't you miss a coffee table? Where do you put your drinks?
May 3, 2013 at 2:45PM   
deb jo
Great that you love art, I do too :) I actually like what you have done, but the white on the shelves look too stark can you paint it some other color, if you can't reposition them? Also I would say you can also use an art ledge to put your art if you dont like hanging it.
http://modern24seven.blogspot.nl/2011/04/bookart-ledges.html http://diaryofacopycat.blogspot.nl/2011/01/art-ledges.html http://hollysview.blogspot.nl/2008/07/art-ledges.html

Just try to keep framing concise throughout and you are done :)
May 3, 2013 at 3:06PM   
pearlmelba
Yes yes think your white shelf would look nice at the bottom of the stairs. As suggested by carolins
Not sure about your dancing butler moved to above your sofa other side
Think it's a nice picture but maybe to small for that wall
And wrong shape better with a group of pictures
Coffee table maybe you don't miss what you never had
We always had one
But on moving to a small cottage
Thought one would take up to much space
So tried without
Hated it oh dear
Where to put drinks
Ended up with a small ottoman with top that when
Turned over are also trays
And the ottoman can be used as extra seating
So now I don't bash my legs on a hard coffee table
May 4, 2013 at 1:30AM   
carolins
Pearlmelba is right I think, about the dancing butler being too small to be on its own above the sofa. But if you pair him with some of the frames that you now have on your shelves... The frames look to be the same or similar colours?

Just make sure you have a nice arrangement. Lay it out on the floor first. There is an ideabook about hanging art, search in the ideabooks section here.

living room
Marcelo Brito & Pedro Potaris - Sao Paulo - Brazil
May 4, 2013 at 2:18AM   
pearlmelba
Thanks Carolins I can be right some of the time just not all the time lol
Myself when putting up pictures
Always end up changing my mind thinking its just not looking right
So my DH
Ends up taking them down ending up with nail holes in the wall
And an unhappy DH
So yes good idea regarding arranging them out first
Simply really
May 4, 2013 at 3:27AM   
carolins
And if you're happy with the arrangement on the floor, cut out paper to the size of the different paintings, put the papers up on the walls with painters tape and see how it works on the wall. You can still tweak without having holes in the wall :-)
May 4, 2013 at 3:30AM   
pearlmelba
Thanks. I will now have to go buy more pictures to try
This out !!!!
As all my pictures are up and DH
Says they are not moving nor is he
May 4, 2013 at 3:57AM     
carolins
chuckling :-)
May 4, 2013 at 5:32AM   
pearlmelba
Love to see how your room is doing Katie
May 5, 2013 at 5:49AM   
Help with placing art work on walls
I have a picture I bought but not sure where to place...
Need wall art ideas and placement for long wall with tv
Just built this house need wall art ideas for this...
What window treatment will give me light AND privacy?
We need to replace old window treatments in our dining...
Very blue tiled retro blue bathroom
Need ideas for wall color & decor!! Any help would...
how to size kit. cab/drawers pulls
I have shaker cabs & drawers ... is there formula to...
What kitchen style goes with octagon & red dot floor tiles?
We're buying this contemporary house built in the 80s...