Need help deciding on exterior paint!
paslater
This house was built in 1906. It has been redone a lot over the years. The exterior is covered in asbestos siding, which has been picked at by the crows. Some windows have been replaced with cheaper (white) vinyl ones, other original frames left intact. Our climate is dark and rainy, so we'd like to maximize light and its reflection. The fence is newer cedar. We did not want a fence we would need to paint. We'd love to hear your thoughts!
Rockin' Fine Finish
do you want to replace the siding or are you looking for colors for the house? when it comes to painting asbestos siding you have to be careful no scraping or sanding you can wash it but have to contain the water from going into storm drains. look at the colors on this house, you can stain the fence.
[houzz=Stakkestad 1]
[houzz=Stakkestad 2]
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 5:03PM
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 6:52PM
BM HC 4 HAWTHORNE YELLOW AND PAINT THE WINDOWS A DARK CHARCOAL.
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 6:54PM
paslater
Hi Rockin' Fine Finish. Thanks for your response. We cant afford to replace the asbestos siding, so are looking for color recommendations. Our paint contractor is planning to pressure wash the house. Here are some other details about the house: Birds have pecked holes into the attic over the years. There are not a lot of beautiful architectural details to highlight. Mostly, flaws to hide. So we wonder what color as well as how much to paint in a contrasting color. Our neighbor has a lovely craftsman and has painted it a lovely indigo with bright white trim. I supect that such intense color on our house (which has a higher profile than our neighbors) will seem imposing and make the windows look small. Plus I worry about the heat conduction and stability of dark paint on a sunny surface (would love input on that).
I like the house in your photos! Thanks for sending them. I like the green!
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:01PM
paslater
Hi Judyg! Thanks for the pic and suggestion. It is lovely. I like the black paint on the windows...
1 Like   May 3, 2013 at 7:04PM
paslater
I'm new to houzz and not sure if you all can see my pics in my ideabooks...also, just fyi, we hired a color consultant and are excited to see what she recommends, but it is fun to see what you all think, too! PS
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 7:06PM
Let us know. Just in case one of us is right on, we will want to brag.
1 Like   May 5, 2013 at 1:56PM
mousemaker
i wonder why the birds like your attic so much :) does it taste good? my house is just a tad younger than yours (1908) and bats seem to be the preference here. Can you find a picture of your house maybe from a long time ago to see if arch. details were removed? maybe you could find replacements you like that would make your home look more prehistoric again :) (sorry, it's been a long weekend)
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 3:02PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
What about green doing a darker green in the gables lighter on the rest white trim and a deep bronze on the windows if they are wood windows
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 3:24PM
handymam
I have seen houses that have different colors for the levels that have come out beautifully that you may want to consider.

A soft green like Behr Lotus Leaf for the first and third floors with the second floor in Raffia Ribbon. All trim in Artist Canvas (a dreamy white) to tie the house together.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 6:43AM
paslater
RFF and handyman, Thank you for your suggestions! I liked them and talked to my color consultant about the different shades or colors for different levels. She thought it would be too busy on my house because of the fact that there is a layer of roof at each floor. I really like the effect on "1152 Green House" which is on Houzz (I don't know how to attach the image here). The Lotus Leaf is very close to one she recommended which is Sherman Williams Clary Sage with Dover White for the trim and Enduring Bronze for the door(s).
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 12:11PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
I just painted a home on Queen Anne hill like yours but that had new siding well it's new old bones same style of roof lines and we did a light green on top with the soffits darker green and the lower half the darker green I will try and get you some pics
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 12:16PM
paslater
RFF, I would love to see it! Thanks.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 12:19PM
handymam
paslater, I don't know how to do it, but I think your color consultant could use the thing on the sherwin williams site to show you how the house would look using different colors. i understand what she is concerned about, but I don't think it would look too busy. In fact, I think it may draw your eye away from the "roof" in the middle to have the different colors.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 12:30PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
You could download sherwins color visualizer that enables you to add color to your pic in areas you want to give you an idea of what it would look like but you should also get actual samples and put them on the house
3 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 12:33PM
paslater
handymam, thanks! I will check it out!
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 12:33PM
paslater
Here is an update on our house. The pressure wash was done today. It already looks so much better and so much brighter! Especially our porch floor, which is covered in Gaco paint and was so grimy! The water did expose some trouble spots, though. Carpenters are coming next week to remove rotten wood and MDF and replace it. I am not a fan of MDF!
Recommendations also came in from our color consultant. Here are the three schemes she recommended:
-Sherman Williams Clary Sage for the body with Dover White Trim and Enduring Bronze Door(s)
-SW Waterly with Pure White trim and Drizzle door
-Benjamin Moore Weaton flax for body with white dove for trim and black green forest for door

I am leaning toward the first option...
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I plan to continue to post pics and thoughts.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 1:33PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Mdf for what on the exterior
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:34PM
paslater
I might be wrong, but think it was used for some of the trim around our garage, which was an addition. There was some used for trim around our porch, but we replaced it a couple of years ago...
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:40PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Mdf is not suppose for exterior use atleast I wouldn't use that out side make sure it's wood or you can use azek
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:42PM
paslater
Okay, thank you. I am attaching some pics of the problem areas. The trim around the garage door is wood for sure, but rotten still. The rest I am not sure about. Also, it was recommended to us that we change the T1-11 above the garage door because it was hung horizontally and not vertically (not sure if you can see it in my pic--such a bright day!)
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:51PM
paslater
another spot
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:52PM
paslater
oops...
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:52PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
T1-11 is wrongly installed replace any rotten boards the first one just looks like its peeling not rotten you could check by pushing on it and seeing if its still hard or soft
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:54PM
paslater
trying again
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:55PM
paslater
It is soft. I will make sure the replacement material is all wood. If it isn't rotten, we were thinking of leaving the horizontal T1-11 for now, as we hope to eventually tear the garage down to get more sun into the house (it is on the south side). It is lovely to drive into in the winter, though...
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 2:05PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Yup it's your choice you can leave it for now
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 2:55PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Does the company painting your home offer color consultation with there painting ?
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 2:56PM
chellelynne
I used to own a home similar to this. We had the same siding. We removed the siding as it was literally breaking off. Once off we found the original siding was in great shape. This is the result
2 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 5:47PM
paslater
RFF, no, our painters don't have a color consultant, but they did refer me to one who I like.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 6:43PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
I'm glad you found some one to help you we offer free color consulting to our customers on exterior and interior projects good luck with your homes projects
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 9:19PM
paslater
Thanks RFF!
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 11:27AM
paslater
chellelynne, it did not occur to me that the siding under the asbestos might be in good shape! We have had some of our porch redone and the contractor commented that the original wood studs he could see seemed in great shape. We do live in Seattle, so maybe the siding took a rain beating...You have a beautiful house!
1 Like   May 7, 2013 at 11:28AM
chellelynne
Thank you! I was able to get historical colors to the period but they are not original to the house. The window trim was always black. That is the only color original to the home. Was a real labor of love!!
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 7:00PM
Columbia Redevelopment
To add onto what chelleynne was saying, we recently removed asbestos siding from one of our remodels and found beautiful fir siding underneath. We had to patch in a couple of places where it wasn't perfect, but overall it looks amazing. The removal is relatively simple. You would need to check with your local landfill and DEQ regarding regulations for the removal and dispose of the old siding. If you are interested, here are the the before and after posts, and a couple of pics, with the siding: http://columbiaredevelopment.com/mt-tabor-house-remodel-portland-orego/ http://columbiaredevelopment.com/se-portland-remodel-mt-tabor-house-2/ http://columbiaredevelopment.com/beautifully-restored-home-in-mt-tabor/

Good Luck!
0 Likes   Thanked by paslater    May 13, 2014 at 6:22AM
apple_pie_order
Year old post.
0 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 7:59AM
paslater
Hi! Thanks to everyone who offered advice on my housepaint. Here are some pics of the final product.
6 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 9:59AM
Thank you so much for the update! I love it when people come back and show us what happened. It's the best. :)
3 Likes   Thanked by paslater    May 13, 2014 at 10:06AM
kbraymen
That really looks great! I think you could even add some cute shutters to window upstairs and add color with scrubs and flowers.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 7:56PM
paslater
@kbraymen Thank you! I like the idea of shutters. The upstairs window does feel out of balance size-wise.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 8:24PM
Need help deciding on exterior paint colors
I think there is too much white trim
Need help deciding what color to paint house exterior
I need help choosing my exterior paint colors! The...
need help deciding on exterior paint colour
Cedar Siding, grey Trex decking--colours???
Need advice deciding exterior paint colors for my house HELP!!!
I could use some help in choosing some paint colors...
Help! Need to decide on an exterior paint color
We live on a lake in NC and bought this great 1983...
My living room needs some help with this fireplace
Help! My hubby loves this fireplace - but its quite...
TILES CAN I "HONE" AN INDOOR TILE FOR OUTDOOR USE ONCE COATED ?
Hello people, Question time again. Im trying to match...
Kitchen Advice? Cosmetic updates to make dated kitchen more modern?
The house is 1931 Spanish Revival but we are looking...
Need some help with bedroom paint color
Hi all, I'm trying to pick a paint color that will...
How should I update this Kitchen??
The decor is from previous owners. What should be the...