I'm stumped! Rug help, pretty please!
defever
Moved into our new home 6 mos ago after living on a 38' boat for over 10 years. The living room is at one end of open floor plan. The dining room is at the other end and its rug needs replacing as well. The living room furniture is new to us, both rugs are from our previous life and do not match. The chair is dark brown with gold, orange and red flowers; the sofa is red. Our style is definitely eclectic. We have 2 cats that shed like crazy so I'm not sure I want dark again, but I don't want the rug so light it gets lost with the hardwood floor. How much pattern can I have, given the floral chair? Do the rugs need to be the same? Help!!
houssaon
I think you could use a brown rug with a pattern, like this: Budget Living Room or this: Baker Beach Home. This golden yellow pattern rug would work: Wooldridge 1930's Remodel Family Room.
May 4, 2013 at 9:04PM     
restoredtreasurestoo
How about these? You don't have to match them as long as you have the same color family. The first two would look good together:)
May 4, 2013 at 9:16PM     
defever
Thank you! I do prefer the golden yellow rug (I'm really not a brown person; don't know how I let hubby talk me into that floral chair), but I'm afraid it will get lost on our golden yellow fir floor. The brown rug in the 1st picture is pretty nice, too. Any idea on how a sisal rug would hold up?
May 4, 2013 at 9:18PM   
yvonnecmartin
What colors are your cats? If you have a choice of rug colors, choose one that will hide the cat hair (for a day or so).

I suggest some sort of tweed or subtle pattern rug in the red/brown/gold tones.

Maybe we are especially messy eaters, but I prefer to not have a rug under a dining room table and instead get softness from chairs and the table setting.
May 4, 2013 at 9:19PM   
defever
Restoredtreasure: I wonder if the top 2 might be too modern for my dining room furniture? Also, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around such a bold rug pattern and my floral chair. Unfortunately the floral chair and red sofa are new; I'm stuck with them!
May 4, 2013 at 9:23PM   
defever
Yvonnecmartin: one cat is orange, the other is a tortie, so the yellow rug would be perfect! Our house is small but has cathedral ceilings, causing the space to echo. I figured rugs would help absorb the sound. Also, our floors are fir, which is a soft wood, so the rug(s) help protect the floor from the chairs.
May 4, 2013 at 9:28PM   
restoredtreasurestoo
I just thought it would be fun to add another pattern, you said your home was eclectic, and these patterns would look great with your floral chair! Do you like the traditional rug? Sisal would look nice but it wouldn't give you much contrast with the wood flooring.
May 4, 2013 at 9:39PM   
restoredtreasurestoo
I have sisal rugs in my home, they are pretty tough rugs and hold up very nice
May 4, 2013 at 9:42PM   
restoredtreasurestoo
This rug would look great and there are several colors to choose from
May 4, 2013 at 9:45PM     
suzanne_m
defever, just for fun I photshop your living room with the 2 rugs restoredtreasure found. The third one did not work at all and I found it was not worth to show.
May 4, 2013 at 9:47PM     
suzanne_m
rug # 3 and #4. Love the rug studio10001 found.
May 4, 2013 at 9:59PM     
May 4, 2013 at 10:00PM   
studio10001
That works nicely.
May 4, 2013 at 10:06PM   
restoredtreasurestoo
Thanks suzanne_m! I need to learn how to use photo shop! I knew that last rug was a stretch, but I do love the other rugs! Actually all the rugs found would look great, love the colors
May 5, 2013 at 6:29AM   
defever
Wow! Thanks suzanne_m! Your photos really do help me visualize a print rug on the floor. I've been concentrating on finding a 6x9 (which would be a little larger than what is currently down), but I got the tape measure out and think an 8x10 might work. I've attached a photo of the other side of the room. An 8x10 would just come out to the door trim. Sorry for the picture quality; the sun is streaming in!
May 5, 2013 at 7:57AM     
suzanne_m
You' re welcome defever. Am I going into the direction or would you like to see lesspattern or more subdue colors?

Rug #10:
http://www.rugstudio.com/bashiantribecap218goldarearug.aspx#60264x6__107900
May 5, 2013 at 8:38AM     
studio10001
I think the more freeform patterns are working best here; the more structured the pattern repeat is, the more it will compete with existing patterns in the room.
May 5, 2013 at 8:48AM     
Anything but blue. Maybe brown shag, it's big now. It can have muti colors of brn. Paint walls a taupe. Would help too. Hole next to firepl. Fill with fire logs. If you could replace or slip cover chairs would help too.
May 5, 2013 at 8:53AM   
defever
suzanne_m, you have opened my eyes to endless possibilities, but I agree with studio1000 that the freeform patterns are appealing to me more than the structured ones. And as I'm not really a "brown" person, I am being drawn to the rugs with golds. I told hubby that I'm ordering a rug TODAY!
May 5, 2013 at 9:14AM   
defever
travisinteriors: I agree...anything but blue! Hubby says "no way" to shag, although I like it and might just buy one to put under the bed. The walls are actually painted a soft buttery yellow, a beautiful color for the normally gray northwest. The hole needs a door; the firewood box is on the other side of it; I do have logs in the fireplace. The smaller brown chair is temporary; a garage sale find for $20. I will replace it after I have chosen the rug.
May 5, 2013 at 9:18AM     
suzanne_m
Rug #11:
http://www.rugstudio.com/obeeteegabbehdawnred.aspx

defever, I don't know if this one has too brown for you. Do you have one specific rug in mind? If you do (or if you find one, maybe I can photoshop it before you order.
May 5, 2013 at 9:19AM   
studio10001
I'm going to point you back to the one I commented on from Overstock, then. (think Suzanne found it? She has been working hard for you!). It improved on my example by being from the right side of the pond, and melds w your room best of the 'wavies' so far, I think. Wayfair often carries the same stock for less, if you want to cost compare any of the Overstock's examples.
May 5, 2013 at 9:23AM     
suzanne_m
studio10001, if you are talking about rug #5, I agree with you, it is my favorite so far.

defever, looking at the other side of the room, I am afraid that a 8x10 would be too big ... you would walk one feet on the hardwood floor and one feet on the rug when you enter in the room . Also, do you need access to the hole. If not, I would suggest that you bring your 2 chairs closer to the table. Furniture distanced a bit from the wall looks nicer plus you would bring less attention to the hole.
May 5, 2013 at 9:34AM     
suzanne_m
Note: rug #5 goes nicely with your art above the 2 chairs :)
May 5, 2013 at 9:39AM     
rosiescathouse
I know you're asking for rug help, but I can't help but think that the room might look better with the sofa against the wall and the chairs floating in the middle. The wall looks a little lost and the sofa would anchor it. But, maybe the sofa is acting as a needed divider for the dining room. Anyway, just a thought. As for rugs, patterns seem fine if they tie in with the color scheme. Blue just doesn't go. I like rug #11 a lot. It ties things together nicely.
May 5, 2013 at 9:56AM     
larkauf
The large bold floral pattern on the armchair may compete with a bold rug pattern. Also you have an interesting exotic feel to the pieces on the wall. Would be nice to complement those pieces with compatible furniture pillows, carpet, and/or coffee table decorations (decorative box, vase, bow, etc.). It could still feel eclectic, if you want it to.
May 5, 2013 at 10:19AM   
larkauf
Oh, I see you do have objects on the coffee table. Maybe a bigger showcase piece would've nice. Just an idea
May 5, 2013 at 10:21AM   
studio10001
Posters are invited to read the thread.
May 5, 2013 at 10:22AM   
defever
I, too, like rug #5. I remeasured and an 8x10 will allow me a door-width path into the room, so it won't be one foot on and one foot off, but a 7x9 would be a much better size visually (current rug is 5'5" wide) .
suzanne_m, which table are you referring to? The one between the chairs or the coffee table? We do not need regular access to the hole.
May 5, 2013 at 10:26AM   
defever
Hold one: I'm in the middle of rearranging the furniture...the cats are going nuts! So far not liking my changes, but it'll give me a chance to clean under the furniture! :o) The chairs were originally put against the wall because it allows us to see the view out the windows on the other side of the room.
May 5, 2013 at 10:29AM   
Inna Brodkin
Wel,l the problem here is not the rug itself but too many competing themes in the room and the kitchen. you have cold grey stone on the fireplace, modern red sofa, rustic leather chair, flowery pattern in brown/gold/yellow on the chair, modern purple rug in the sitting room , then rustic cottage dining set, formal oriental rug in blue/burgundy and simple bamboo blinds. First you have to decide on the theme here, then try to rearrange the pieces you have accordingly.
There are a few combinations that come to mind:
1) IF you like streamlined simple look then your sofa and fireplace need to stand out, the patterned chair need to be removed or sleep-covered in some simple linen/ grayish fabric, leather chair need to go and both rugs replaced with smth modern and natural like jute, sisal, flat weave wool, or just leave the floors bare..
2) if you like formal than get rid off or sleep cover the flowery chair in some formal herringbone or stripes fabric, remove the leather chair, get the oriental rug similar to the one you have in the dining area and get more formal curtains.
3) If you cottage rustic, then red sofa and both rugs have to go, keep both leather and the flowery chair and new rugs in light eathy colors, bring in simple linen curtains and do smthing about the fireplace so that it does not look alien to the rustic space.
May 5, 2013 at 10:35AM     
Genevieve
I don't know how to place this rug under your sofa :(
]
May 5, 2013 at 10:37AM   
defever
I moved the sofa so its back is in front of the hutch...not very welcoming, so back to the original; I'll tell hubby to move the door for the hole to the top of his list! I lose walking room if I pull the chairs closer to the coffee table in an effort to hide the hole. The space isn't big; the entire house is only 950 sq. ft.
May 5, 2013 at 10:42AM     
decofriend
I have to agree with Inna that your various furnishings are pulling you in too many different directions. Suzanne-m has provided great choices in a visual format. I too love rug #5 for the brightness it brings to the space. I find the "face" picture and the chair to be too heavy together. Not sure if you are open to painting but I would like to see the rooms in a very soft butter to bring some life to the room and offset the heavy furniture. This CAN all be pulled together.
May 5, 2013 at 10:56AM   
defever
I know I have a bunch of styles going on. We live on an island with no furniture or box stores so remodeling is extremely challenging. The end tables are hammered copper and look nice with the floral chair. The coffee table is brass; it was purchased for its size. It could go in the same yard sale with the brown naugahide chair if I find something better. I figured I'd start with the rug, then work from that. The house has a cathedral ceiling so the space is quite echo-y, thus the reason I'd like area rugs.
Genevieve, pretty rug, but I think it's too much red.
May 5, 2013 at 10:58AM   
defever
decofriend: the room IS painted soft butter.
May 5, 2013 at 11:04AM   
suzanne_m
Genevieve, I had some doubt that the Surya Athena would work but since you put the effort of finding it, it was worth to try it.

Defever, your living in the picture looks bigger. I think if the view outside is nice then it is worth to keep your furniture this way. Also, I was referring to the coffee table so I think that if you switch the floral chair with the other chair, you may have room to walk around plus you won't need to push the floral chair a lot since the small ottoman would hide it.

Rug #12:
May 5, 2013 at 11:16AM   
suzanne_m
defever, are you willing to try to switch your face picture with your mirror? From the angle I am looking at your living room picture, the mirror seems to reflect the ceiling which is not very decorative plus the shape of the face frame suits better the space above the fireplace.
May 5, 2013 at 11:23AM     
defever
suzanne_m, I have reversed the 2 chairs and it does work better. As an experiment, I pulled the carpet out to where the 8' mark would be; it's definitely too big and if I try to turn it sideways, the 10' would be butting up against the stove. So I need something smaller... I do wish we'd used a more neutral tile around the fireplace. When we built the house, we were thinking navy would go nicely with the yellow...then hubby saw "the chair"!
May 5, 2013 at 11:24AM     
defever
suzanne_m, when standing in front of the mirror, it actually reflects the picture over the buffet, as well as the sail boat that is on the ledge above. The wall that the mirror is on goes straight up to the roof, which is why we put the tall piece there, and the shorter, wider art work on the end wall. Building the fireplace mantle is on the same list with covering the hole! After 3 years of building, we've lost our steam, and we still need to landscape and paint the exterior.
May 5, 2013 at 11:30AM   
suzanne_m
defever, I don't know if you wil order a rug today. I would like to photoshop it for you before you order it. I just would like you to know that I am living now and be back in about 6 hours. Also I just realize that if you have a nice view behing the red sofa then it would be reflected in the mirror. I know we can paint brick, I wonder if we can paint tiles. Is anyone knows about that?
May 5, 2013 at 11:32AM   
suzanne_m
oops, I send my last comment at the same time you sent yours. From what you are telling, the mirror seems to be fine in that location.
May 5, 2013 at 11:34AM   
pattiegoode
950 sq. ft. is bound to be bigger than your boat! Right? lol I love the print chair, the clock, and your dining set. It does look like the light fixture over the table could be lowered. Consider placing the sofa on the wall facing the windows and the print chair facing the FP. I personally liked the stripe rug S did for you because I think stripes cross all boundaries of style - they go with everything! If your reason for wanting rugs is to help with sound, do rug pads & a thick pile or maybe a hooked rug, but not a woven, sisal, outdoor, or dhurrie. Congrats on your new island home!
May 5, 2013 at 11:37AM   
suzanne_m
One more thing before I leave: I would suggest that you paint the trim of the hole and its future door the same color of your wall.
May 5, 2013 at 11:45AM     
defever
I've been concentrating on finding a rectangular rug but given that a 8x10 will be too large, would a round or octagon shape work? I'm pretty sure tiles can be painted, but since we haven't really finished the house yet, I don't dare ask hubby to start a remodel! :-) I'm off to play a little, too, and contemplate rugs...
May 5, 2013 at 11:47AM   
defever
Am SO frustrated! Have spent the last couple of hours searching for rugs. The ones I like are either the wrong size or too expensive. I know there's one out there that will bring my room together...patience, defever, patience!
May 5, 2013 at 6:01PM     
defever
studio10001, interesting but a bit too busy/modern. However, I have not checked out ebay's rugs, so will do so now. Do you have a feel for whether I could use a round (would pick up the round in the mirror) or octagonal?
May 5, 2013 at 6:08PM   
suzanne_m
studio10001, I went on ebay.com and ebay.ca and I can't find the 3 rugs you are describing above in dimensions you said. Is it possible that you could give us the link?

defever, you'll find one, don't worry. We will help you.
May 5, 2013 at 6:17PM   
hmf70
I just went through rug mania myself, driving myself nuts with all the possibilities of trendy patterns and vibrant colors. When I FINALLY decided on a very hip, bright, high-contrast item my eighteen year old son simply said, "Mom, I just don't think you're going to like it." So just to end my misery temporarily I went out and bought a plain Jane natural fiber style rug at a VERY affordable price. Well, guess what, I love it! If I do replace it, it will be with something extremely similar. I'm so glad my common sense son helped me to see my way to sanity again! Best wishes in your hunt. I think that's so cool you've been living on a boat for so long!
May 5, 2013 at 6:20PM     
suzanne_m
defever, I don't think a round or octagonal rug would work in your space :(. I think you need the front legs of each furniture to rest on the rug. I could be wrong though.
May 5, 2013 at 6:23PM   
defever
suzanne_m, that's what I thought. Back to rug #5, the only sizes they have are 8x10 or 6x6. I dug the tape measure out (should have seen hubby cringe!), but the 6' length is definitely too short. Perhaps I should tape some paper bags together to see what a round rug would look like. At this point, hubby is saying, "I like sisal" That would be a safe purchase, as helenefroula said.
May 5, 2013 at 6:33PM   
suzanne_m
defever, don't give up yet ... I am very stubborn when it comes to find something I want :)
May 5, 2013 at 6:37PM     
studio10001
Apparently I can't *L*. (Security issues). If you type the description exactly - beginning w '6x9' and type 'rug' at the end, I think you find them. Sisal would be fine (sigh), too....
May 5, 2013 at 6:59PM   
studio10001
What I'm enjoying so much about your space is the sense of collected history here. Your pieces look to be inherited in some cases, and the result of happy travels, in others. I like the scrolled work that moves through a combination of materials from the metals to the artwork, as well as the warm colors in both those elements, and the piece that will support that movement is out there:)
May 5, 2013 at 7:11PM     
May 5, 2013 at 7:57PM     
May 5, 2013 at 8:23PM   
studio10001
I saw that last one -would it be wide enough?
May 5, 2013 at 8:39PM   
suzanne_m
studio10001, the last one looks very narrow on the image. It is just the way I placed it on the picture. But It is good to check with defever if 6 ft wide is enough. Defever?
May 5, 2013 at 8:54PM     
katwina79
I'm thinking you might need a bigger rug. Also, I think there are too many colours going on in this room. You have dark brown, mid brown, light brown, orange, gold, red, timber, grey, black, glass, off white, and white. Can you move some of the pieces to another part of the house, and minimise the number of colours in the room? You might just start a process of elimination by figuring out what has to stay, then take out all the other bits and pieces and add them back in one at a time, to see what fits. For starters, I assume the grey tile around the fireplace needs to stay, plus the timber floors, so you have a base of grey and timber....maybe it's the brown chairs which do not go well with the grey, I'm not sure. Anyway, once you have decided on what is going to stay, you can pick a larger rug which complements those colours. You might also consider a feature wall in a complementary colour.
May 5, 2013 at 8:58PM     
suzanne_m
Defever, studio10001 has a good point ... when I looked back at your original post, it looks like the rug is not wide enough. All the front legs of the sofa and the 2 chairs should rest on the rug. On your image, one leg of the floral chair is not on the rug. Your current rug is 6 x 9 right? Can you place it so all the front legs are on the rug or is it just wide enough? In that case maybe you need a 7 x 9 rug.
May 5, 2013 at 9:04PM   
Pattigallardo.com
Why do you HAVE to have rugs at all?from the photos the rugs are
Dictating where the furniture sits and it all seems to feel too tight
May 5, 2013 at 9:26PM   
emeraldmanatee
I think the sofa should face the fireplace and a chair to either side of the fireplace. I like rug number 8 as it compliments everything. Add a nice color to your walls and accent color on fireplace wall and it will look fabulous.
May 5, 2013 at 9:29PM   
defever
The current rug is 5'6" wide and 8'6" long. A 6 x 9 would give me an extra 6" without impeding the walkway. A 7 x 9 might actually be better. The sofa is actually a loveseat and is 57" wide. I like rug #13 -- you'd never see the cat fur. And I noticed #14 earlier but now that I see it photo shopped, I wonder if the brown should be closer to that in the floral chair? Remember, the other brown chair is not a keeper; I just can't get rid of it until I get the rug figured out. As I said, our house is extremely eclectic. After 10 years on a 38' boat, we are totally enjoying having elbow room and some of our "old friends" out of storage. We are trying to balance the new with the old.
May 5, 2013 at 9:37PM   
defever
pattigallardo.com: the rug serves 2 purposes: protect the soft wood floor and help absorb some of the echo in the room.
emeraldmanatee: There is not enough room for me to put the sofa facing the fireplace, I tried! The usable space is 10' x 12'.
May 5, 2013 at 9:44PM   
suzanne_m
Personally, I find rug #13 is a bit too bright. I like rug #14 and I think the brown in it looks good because some flowers are in that color.

I also found nice rugs on the web site Safavieh. All of the three of them are 7 x 9. My only problem is I cannot find the price. Are they ashamed of telling the price? defever, if you like them, you can find a retailer close to your home and phone them. There is a place on the page where they can tell you the closest retailer.

Rug #15: http://safavieh.com/rugs/tibetan/contemporary/knotted/tb317q

Rug #16: http://safavieh.com/rugs/soho/contemporary/hand-tufted/soh418d

Rug #17: http://safavieh.com/rugs/courtyard/transitional/power-loomed/cy6634-39
May 5, 2013 at 9:52PM   
suzanne_m
I don't want to be negative or mean but I would like to make a critic (hope you will find it constructive). I truly understand that sometimes we really want to give our opinion (with the intention of being helpful) but the thread is too long to read so we just skip to read all comments. May I suggest that before you give your opinion, can you read at least the comments from the initial poster. It will avoid to repeat himself/herself and maybe understand some issues that cannot be fixed.
May 5, 2013 at 10:07PM     
suzanne_m
Ok studio10001, I photoshoped the first 2 ones just to please you :) . I guess you wanted to go outside the box!

Here are the rug # 18 to rug #21:
May 5, 2013 at 10:23PM     
suzanne_m
Rug #22:
May 5, 2013 at 10:24PM   
hoosie
I read everything! For a more eclectic look what about an antique Persian style rug? eBay has nice ones. I don't know what your budget is. You said not too expensive. But peek around on there. I have purchased from esalerugs.com also.
May 5, 2013 at 10:31PM   
hoosie
Can you photo shop a Persian or Orential rug? Does anyone think that's an option?
May 5, 2013 at 10:35PM   
suzanne_m
Rug #23: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Cyclone_Area_Rug/820/

Rug #24: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Tonalflow_Area_Rug/910/

Defever, let me know when you want me to stop ... because I like doing research on internet, I can go for a long time but I don't want to confuse you with too many choices. It also goes the other way, if you are not confused and have not found the one you really want, let me continue, I love it!
May 5, 2013 at 10:42PM     
studio10001
The good news is that the expensive ones are terrible!! So, the proper sized selections are now from #11 down, and re the pale #13...a few of these are looking a bit different after photoshop, and perhaps the recopying is changing the colours a tad? Don't know, but I'm trying to look at both pics of every rug choice to get a better sense. You asked about matching browns; I think it preferable not to! Using different tonalities gives a sense of depth to the space and looks less studied.
May 5, 2013 at 10:43PM     
suzanne_m
studio10001, I sometimes have problem understanding english and this time is one of those. I don't understand when you say 'the proper sized selections are now from #11 down, and re the pale #13'.
Also, I looked at the last rugs posted (rug #18 to #24) and compared the color of the web site to the one on the photoshop ... I don't really see a difference in color. Could it bebecause the rug on the web site is posted against a white background and on the photoshop picture, the rug is posted on an orange-yellowish floor and this affect your eye?
May 5, 2013 at 10:54PM   
suzanne_m
Of all the rugs we found so far, the ones I prefer are: 5, 11, 14, 21 and 24.
May 5, 2013 at 11:01PM   
studio10001
#11-#24 are all the right size, or close. # 13 - possible;I don't know. I only mention it in case it may help Defever, if her monitor is showing a difference too.
You have done a remarkable job, suzanne!
I will look forward to seeing what happens tomorrow, but must end for this evening. Night,all.
May 5, 2013 at 11:13PM     
defever
Good morning, all! Suzanne_m and studio10001, you are both AMAZING! I like #5 but it's out because it doesn't come in the right size. #11 is beautiful but is too expensive; #14 is a real contender. The 2 rugs under the bright ones also look interesting. One would even incorporate some gray/blue to pull my fireplace tiles. There was no info with the link so I'll investigate more when I get home from work. Thank you so much! I do feel like we're getting closer. Hubby is much better expressing his likes/dislikes when he can visualize it, so your photo shopping is doing its job, suzanne_m!
May 6, 2013 at 7:42AM     
suzanne_m
Good morning defever. Yes, I realized this morning that I haven't check the price of rug #11 before I posted it. I don't know your budget but I am trying to post rug below $500. Is this in your range?

I looked again this morning at all rugs and though I like rug #14 I find it is too similar to your floor. I would say, for now, my favorite is rug #20, the one that studio10001 had found:
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Indre_Area_Rug/810/

I will keep looking until both you and your husband are very happy with your choice :)
May 6, 2013 at 8:16AM     
suzanne_m
Here is the photoshop of the are the 4 rugs studio10001 (links are above):

Rug #25 to Rug #28:
May 6, 2013 at 10:45AM   
InteriorDesignToGo.com
Everything you are putting in this room is fighting with the sofa and the large patterned chair. It is all very agitating, not restful, not elegant, not sophisticated. The art pieces need to be replaced, a horizontal over the fireplace instead of the vertical which is dragging the eye up to the ceiling away from the room, a pair on the wall where the chairs are, there is too much white space on the sides. You need a solid impact color for your carpet and it needs to be larger, it looks like you have everything stuffed into the corner and it is very unsettling. The solid color would allow your impact pieces, the sofa and the chair to command the room and really show off. It seems you are trying to 'blend' them in and they are fighting you.
May 6, 2013 at 10:53AM   
studio10001
Do you have one in her sizes and color preference to suggest?
May 6, 2013 at 10:55AM   
studio10001
So, I'm going to say we forget all these last patterns, as they are reading even more harshly than the earlier choices. I'm also going to point out that the sisal is an upgraded fabric blend, not a common sisal, and has color interest in it that will meld w the other pieces. I suggest looking at the biggest picture of ones you like, and taking the dining room into account. (One rug change can lead to another....)
May 6, 2013 at 11:10AM   
hoosie
I do love the oriental. Thanks for that! But I guess it is a little too busy of a pattern with the with the chair.
May 6, 2013 at 1:17PM   
hoosie
I do love the look of the solid orange and yellow rugs. But they do seem to clash with the sofa and chair.
May 6, 2013 at 1:20PM   
LB Interiors
I didn't read all posts, I like rugs # 5 and # 9 from suzanne
May 6, 2013 at 1:29PM   
momof5x
Have you thought about exchanging it with the dining room rug ( it has an hint of red and cream in it) just to see what it looks like, it may work, then add cushions, throws to coordinate it all. Then for the blue rug in dining room just add table mats to match and a vase with some blue flowers or even chair cushions with blue and white in them.
May 6, 2013 at 1:59PM   
studio10001
*LOL* I'm trying not to make this thread any longer, but hoosie!- Those neon solids looked like rust and a gold ombre on the original site ( on my monitor)! Saturated colour is one thing, but holy cow, right?? "Clash" was so polite - thank you for that; you've brought me to laugh tears.
May 6, 2013 at 2:04PM     
suzanne_m
In the picture below, I switched the art with the mirror. The explanation InteriorDesignToGo gave makes so much sense. Just for fun, in the last picture, I turned the mirror upside-down and I, personally, like it more that way.
I chose to photoshop 4 rugs, two of them have been previously photoshop:

The first one is a contender for defever; Rug A: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-woven-Mohawk-Brown-Jute-Rug-6-x-9/5597293/product.html

The second is just because I like it; Rug B: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Tonalflow_Area_Rug/910/

Defever, I encourage to go to the website to see the third rug (rug C) because I find it is nicer than what I have done with photoshop, so you can have a better opinion of that rug: http://www.homedecorators.com/search.php?search=06003

Rug D: http://www.homedecorators.com/search.php?search=16919

Defever, I wanted to show you rugs with less patterns. Maybe you will like it more.
May 6, 2013 at 3:14PM     
LB Interiors
I think you need a rug that has some texture to it and somewhat neutral with a yellow tone. Subtle colors that you have in the furniture.
May 6, 2013 at 3:41PM   
suzanne_m
Defever, I found this rug before but I had eliminated because I had set my limit @ $500. Actually I don't know your budget. I find this one works well but it is 7'3" x 9'3".

Rug E:
http://www.ruglots.com/shop-by-type/contemporary-modern-area-rugs/nourison-contour-harvest-contemporary-stripes-rug-con15.html?
May 6, 2013 at 7:15PM   
defever
suzanne_m, I was hoping to keep the rug purchase under $300 if possible -- I know that once I find something for the living room, I'll need to replace the rug in the dining room soon! Also, as I was sitting here on my computer, I kept looking into the dining room and I began to wonder if I should be looking for something less flashy or wavy. My dining room furniture is a very simple style, the distance between the 2 spaces isn't great. Maybe I need less design and more traditional style? I do like that yellow oriental #25, but it is pricey. Hubby likes the idea of sisal but I wonder if the material might make the cats want to scratch it?
May 6, 2013 at 9:38PM     
defever
I just noticed you reversed the wall hanging and the mirror...I like the wall hanging over the fireplace, but am not sure the mirror works between the chairs??
May 6, 2013 at 9:39PM   
studio10001
I wondered, too; mine enjoyed my berber for a day or two, but then got bored. The Shaw Natural Expressions is a nylon, not true sisal,and so is softer, which might make a difference in that regard. I'm glad you're leaning toward less pattern, as well as looking at both areas, now. Some of the choices above would be more suitable for the dining area, I feel..(and some are not suitable for anything!) I also wonder, though, if the living room rug is near 10 ', if you'll want a dining room rug? Both the oriental and the sisal have a vibrancy in them, without being over the top, and as that is the first area you see and will get the most traffic, a better quality rug is a good idea, I think. I like both choices very much.
May 6, 2013 at 11:07PM   
suzanne_m
defever, personally, I find the rug #25 a bit too bright to be beside the more subdue colors of your floral chair. Also, I don't have a cat so I would really not be able to tell you if a cat is attracted to sisal rugs. I could imagine though that some would like them.

Now that I know that you like the color of rug #25, I will keep looking for a rug in a subdue goldish color. I will also keep an eye for light colored sisals and maybe something like the rug #14. I will photoshop my findings. That might give a better idea of what is best in your space.

I like your wall art over the fireplace. Like InteriorDesignToGo mentioned your long mirror just drag your eyes up to the ceiling and away from your room. I also find that because your wall art is not as close to your floral chair, the art and the chair don't compete each other. Yes, I could understand if the mirror does not work between the 2 chairs. It might be because it is too big for the small table below. Can you switch some arts in your house and see if there is something that would go nicely between the two chairs. Would your mirror work in your entrance?
May 6, 2013 at 11:48PM     
suzanne_m
defever, what is the size of your dining table and the rug under?
May 6, 2013 at 11:51PM   
defever
The rug under the dining room table is basically 6 x 9. I think this is a good size, but maybe could stand to be a few inches wider. With the current rugs, there is 40" of floor space between the two. The mirror can be relocated, but it's so pretty, that we wanted it in the room where we spend the most time so we can enjoy it.
May 7, 2013 at 7:44AM   
suzanne_m
defever, your mirror is very pretty, I understand that you want to place it so you can enjoy it. I was wondering if you have a vanity in your bathroom or powder room that is 24 in. or wider, you may try to hang it there and see. It could become a piece of resistance in the room. I think it's worth a try.

My place is not big either and I have an open plan. I chose to have a rug only in the living room. I like it. It feels that the combined space LR and DR is bigger because I see more of the hardwood floor. Just seeing a bit of hardwood will make your room look smaller because the rugs break the continuity of the floor.

I am presently looking for a sisal look rug that made with synthetic fiber.
May 7, 2013 at 9:13AM   
suzanne_m
I like the rug #31 because I feel your space is more like a bohemian style and the rug below goes well with your art wall. It comes from Capel rugs and I don't know the price and they may not be precise with the size. If you like it, you have a place to enter a zip code (I live in Canada, I don't have one) then from there you will get more information.

Rug #31:
http://www.capelrugs.com/hampton-madras-rugs

I like rug #32 also. If you go to the site, click on more options avalaible and select the lighter color one:

Rug #32
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Chainstitch_Area_Rug/960/
May 7, 2013 at 11:18AM   
suzanne_m
Sorry, Rug #31 was not photoshop in the right direction:
May 7, 2013 at 11:36AM   
defever
#31 is lovely and I like the look, but ouch! over $600 for a 7x9. #32 could be a contender...you think the light vs. dark? I have also seen some sisal rugs that have a cotton(?) edging that would work, but how do I know if the sisal is going to be foot friendly? Hubby likes to go barefoot around the house.
May 7, 2013 at 12:35PM   
Genevieve
Thank you Suzanne_m for the help , I don't like the rug that I found looking at it now looks like a pile of dirt under the table , I think that one with no pattern would be better .

I would get rid of those 2 chairs .....possibly :)
May 7, 2013 at 12:40PM   
studio10001
You won't know until you get it, if it is plain sisal, whether it will be comfortable, or a doormat They can shed, and the coarser the rug, the more attractive your cats will find it. Same goes for #32, as it is jute. I don't have the same concerns that Suzanne does with the oriental style; if you want the truest sense of its' look, see it in the plushrugs website and compare w your room.
May 7, 2013 at 12:49PM   
carolyn12345678
keep it simple. a seagrass rug is a very classic look that you will not tire of. it looks similar to #32 above. you need a larger rug but i would have a size that would allow the traffic from the front door to stay off it. the rug should be large enough for all the furniture to sit on with at least a foot to each side and rear if possible. at the front door use a smaller rug that can take the abuse front door traffic gives. have it bound with a wide band of the new sturdy manmade binding (a polyester, i believe) that is available now. the old fashioned jute bindings wear in very little time. seagrass is a natural fiber that repels water and stains MUCH better than sisal. seagrass is the way to go. you can find ready made at pottery barn or restoration hardware. or custom sized rugs from creative flooring (on bissonnet) or south texas carpets (on richmond) both in houston, tx. good luck!
May 7, 2013 at 1:13PM   
dianelbailey
Can you turn the rug the other direction to allow wood floor to be seen in front of two chairs and sofa?
May 7, 2013 at 1:16PM   
salemdesignsdetroit
If you cannot decide a rug, perhaps you should change the furniture layout.
May 7, 2013 at 1:33PM   
suzanne_m
dianelbailey, I don't think turning the rug the other way would work when looking at the wall opposed to the fireplace. See below.

Studio, just to confirm that I understand your last comment: you say that you are ok with a bright color rug like in rug #25, right? Maybe it is, it is just a matter of getting used to it, i guess. If you would like to try more rugs in those colors, just post the link and I will be happy to do it for you so defever can see it as well.

defever, when you ask me between light vs dark, are you talking about the two options of rug #32? Below, is a picture with rug #32, you can see the difference. I find the darker one looks richer, I think that maybe the lighter one goes a bit better with the color of the hardwood. IMO, both are really nice, I think you could go either way.
Unfortunaetly, I don't know anything about sisal rug, so I can't tell you if there is a way to be certain it is gently on the feet. studio10001 said that rug #27 is a variation of a sisal and I believe that one would be gentle on the feet. I will spend some more time tomorrow to look for sisal type rug in a fabric blend. Would you like me to look for rugs like #31 in a more friendly price?
May 7, 2013 at 1:39PM   
collettec
A possible rug option for just over $200 for the 9 by 6: http://www.dashandalbert.com/product/view/treehouse-woven-cotton-rug--RDA203
I think the yellow wall color looks a bit washed out - I would consider going more neutral with a light warm gray, greige or beige.
May 7, 2013 at 2:36PM   
studio10001
We are seeking 7x9s, which is why, in part, so many 'maybe options' have been thrown in.
Re walls -AND #25- I think that: A) since the walls are not showing their true color on the monitor, it is possible that the furnishings aren't exact in color, either. And-
B) the photoshop reduction process seems to be highlighting light reflective properties on the lighter colors. I believe #25 to actually be the darker mix of shades in the larger picture of it, and not the brighter color shown in the reduction. ( I hope I didn't just make that worse, Suzanne. Apologies. ) The short answer is no, I don't think brighter is better!
May 7, 2013 at 3:18PM   
collettec
Read the homeowner's statement about the 6 by 9 size as to what they were looking for and cost considerations for choices. But they do have larger sizes in this rug for other options to consider if that is a concern.
May 7, 2013 at 3:40PM   
defever
I checked out the treehouse woven rug but it didn't do anything for me. They had one in "sienna" that was a bit closer to the desired colors, but may be too beachy.
dianebailey: I thought the whole point was to make sure that the front legs were on the rug...? I played with the idea of turning an 8x10 but we have a fireplace hearth on each side of the room and the 10' width would land on one or the other hearth. Given the small workable space of this room, I would prefer to keep the rug in its current direction.
suzanne, I would not have called #25 bright (#18 WAS bright!). At least it didn't appear to be so on their website. I do have a concern that a rug in the yellow/gold family might be lost on our floor, but hubby has stated that he doesn't want "a brown rug".
And when comparing a 6x9 or a 7x9, the chair in the corner by "the hole" will still end up with only one leg on the rug because of the 2' hearth that sticks out in front of the fireplace. The extra width of the rug will jut out towards the front door. And just so we ALL remember...the smaller chair will disappear once I have the rug figured out!
May 7, 2013 at 6:02PM   
LB Interiors
It might have been mentioned previously, but I think the two chairs, whatever they may be, can come closer to the sofa. You only need about 22" around the coffee table to use the the sofa and the chairs. I think the whole grouping could be tighter and cozier. Try centering the coffee table in center of fireplace. Place all the furniture around it leaving approx. 20" - 22"" of walkway room. You would need to move the stool elsewhere.

This sofa is pulled out away from the wall ( maybe your chairs can also)

May 7, 2013 at 6:10PM   
defever
suzanne, hubby does not like the striped look in #31; he says it reminds him of his grandmother's braided rugs! Perhaps I need to check out carolyn's suggestions and look for a seagrass rug that is not striped. Would you mind photo shopping the following? http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-woven-Sisal-Natural-Beige-Seagrass-Rug-6-x-9/3166898/product.html. I checked out restoration hardware and pottery barn -- same old story...either no rugs in the required size, or way off the budget chart. Even overstock shows the majority of its seagrass in the 6x9 as out of stock.
May 7, 2013 at 6:32PM   
defever
LBInteriors, the coffee table is centered with the fireplace. The chairs can come in from the wall but for the time being, I will leave them as-is because hubby enjoys his stool. One thing to keep in mind is that the house is only 950 sq. ft and has 4 rooms (kitchen, dining, living and bedroom). Thus, every room gets used and we have put the furniture in a way that works for us. The sofa might look better against the wall, but that would then put our backs to the view. There is only so much that can be done in a house our size before it starts reminding us of the coziness of our 38' boat! While I can wish with all my might that my house was 2800 sq. ft, this is what it is! ;) And since we spent all our savings, and then some, building this little place, we have to start at the bottom again, like newlyweds starting out!
May 7, 2013 at 6:46PM     
collettec
Thought I would include a natural fiber rug possibility that is a good price as something to consider or even an example if not something you like. A natural fiber rug of some type might be a consideration as others have mentioned in that a number of them can include a lot of colors that are fairly muted and neutral so they're more versatile. https://www.jossandmain.com/Natural-Appeal-Clearwater-Rug~FV27599~E4428.html
May 7, 2013 at 6:59PM   
LB Interiors
Thanks, Oh, yes, I remember you saying that, I was trying to help with the rug placement, as the size can change, with a different placement of furniture..
May 7, 2013 at 7:00PM     
suzanne_m
defever, I can't access the URL of the rug you want me to photoshop. Someone told me that URL has to be on its own line. So try to send it again to me but with no text following on the same line (not even a dot).

This is a blog I found on internet, you might be interested to read some of it. On that blog, there is option 3 which it is someone who went to a flooring company and had a rug cut and sow to the side they wanted. Maybe that could be an option for you, if you have s flooring close by, you could see and touch the rug in person before buying: http://purestylehome.blogspot.ca/2009/09/natural-rugs-seagrass-sisal-jute.html

Also if you google sisal touch rug or softer than sisal, it might bring you to some interesting web sites.

It is hard to see the fireplace heart from your second picture. It does not seem to be raised. Is it or it is just that you don't want the rug too close because of the sparks?

As for the rug #18 and #25, on my screen the photoshop result of the rug #25 looks bright (in my standard). I would say that rug #18 is not bright ... it is lightening!

collettec, I would do a photoshop of the rug you suggest but when I access the site, I have to register to have access to the image of the rug. I don't want to register because I don't want to give them my email address. If you post a picture of the rug then I could use it from this thread and photoshop it.
May 7, 2013 at 8:27PM     
collettec
hi suzanne-m - what would I have to do to post the picture? I can see that you can pull it up using the above URL from this site, but not sure if that's enough for you to use to photoshop, so what would I need to do specifically? (You can probably tell I'm a low tech person from that question!)
May 7, 2013 at 9:00PM   
suzanne_m
I am not too much a high tech person either. It is easy for me to post pictures because I have that lovely tool on my computer called 'snip'. Using that tool I crop any image I see on my computer and save it in a jpeg format. I know I am very lucky to have that tool, I use it all the times, but for those who don't, I don't know how they get the picture posted other than just post the URL.
I will try to post an image in a pdf format just to see if the houzz web site allows it. If I succeed, ignore the image I posted below because it is just a test:
May 7, 2013 at 9:16PM   
suzanne_m
collettec, I tried to post an image in a pdf format and it did not work. I know of one way to take an image and change it into a pdf format but i does not get me far since we can't post picture in a pdf format on houzz. Maybe others can help you on that.
May 7, 2013 at 9:23PM   
suzanne_m
defever, I looked back at the first picture on your post and yes now I see the elevated fireplace heart. Also I don't know if you are decided to get a rug for the dining room or if you consider maybe not have one. If you would like to not have one but wonder how to protect your floor with the chairs moving, you cab buy these things. I used to have them for my old chairs and it worked perfectly:
May 7, 2013 at 9:31PM   
tbacon
I have the exact same rug....would you consider selling yours?
May 7, 2013 at 9:37PM     
collettec
suzanne-m, thanks for thinking of it. Now I think I'm going to have to look for the tool snip!
Thought I'd just add some more possibilities that are more like the seagrass with more of a natural look for consideration that seem to have decent prices if something that interested in. http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/152763/Dalyn/MonacoSisal/MC100/Taupe http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Banded_Jute_Area_Rug/950/ http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Zig_Zag_Chenille_Hemp_Rug/950/ http://www.homedecorators.com/detail.php?parentid=39600&search=39600&suggest=11&sItem=28814
May 7, 2013 at 9:45PM   
suzanne_m
defever, I thought of one advantage if you go with the idea of having a rug cut and have the edges finished for you. You could make it the size and shape you want. For example, you could make it cut so there is a space left for the fireplace heart. It would allow you to have all the front legs of all your furniture to be on the rug without having to have a rug that goes too far towards the door. See my drawing below:
May 7, 2013 at 10:00PM   
suzanne_m
These are rugs #33 to #36 as per links given above by collettec:
May 7, 2013 at 10:18PM   
doctornancy
Suzanne - great photoshop work. Of the rugs so far, I like the contemporary one with the large circular pattern. I confess I have not read all the threads - getting pretty long - but a sisal rug and a room rearrangement are my suggestions. My photoshop of the rearranged furniture is rough, but hopefully, you get the general idea.
May 7, 2013 at 10:59PM   
suzanne_m
Defever, I want to take back my idea of cutting the rug as suggested in my drawing above. It was late yesterday and tired and I became a bit too creative. I think cutting the rug may look strange.
May 8, 2013 at 7:52AM   
suzanne_m
Thank you Nancy. I wish I was as good with photoshop as you are ... complete the corner of the sofa missing, add a chair in floral motif and add color all around where things have been move takes a lot of knowledge and ability with photoshop. One thing that I would would be really really appreciate is to know how you select an object so precisely. When I try to do it, I always end up with lousy lines around the object.
Your idea about the disposition of furniture is good but I don't think it is practical for defever. She mentioned that they have worked a lot on the house and now would like to take a little break so removing the fireplace heart is probably not in their plan for now. She also mentioned that she likes where the two chairs are because that's where they sit and have a nice view outside.
However, I like the rug. Maybe if it is a right size, it could be a contender. They need a rug with dimension 7 x 9. Where did you find that rug?
May 8, 2013 at 1:41PM   
defever
Collette made some good suggestions; unfortunately the ones I liked didn't come in the required size. I think I'm finally to the point where I need to just sit down and evaluate all the suggestions you folks have given me. I have dealt with Overstock and know their reputation but have no experience with some of the others that you all have suggested; I'm hoping they are trustworthy sites? My homework: decide if I want to go wavy/contemporary or go natural sea grass. I love pattern and color and the sea grass does seem quite boring to me. But perhaps this room needs some taming... I'm pretty sure hubby will want a rug in the dining room; a plain rug in the living room will (I think) allow us to put a little pattern under the table. Our biggest fear is spending $ on an unseen, untouched product. Unfortunately quality is no longer related to the amount of $ one spends. I will return to this site with our decision. Suzanne_m, Studio10001, collettec, I can't thank you enough for the amount of time you have spent educating me and helping me find the right rug. If I can't find "the" one in all your recommendations, then it's not out there!
May 8, 2013 at 6:11PM     
LB Interiors
Congrats to Suzanne and Studio, that was a lot of work. I'm partial to something other than seagrass. I think I'd use something with more character. Great job to all of you!
May 8, 2013 at 6:33PM     
studio10001
My commission is an 'after' photo :))! Best of luck, defever!!
May 8, 2013 at 6:53PM     
suzanne_m
It has been a pleasure defever. Hope you and your husband find 'the' one. Let us see your 'after' photo.
May 8, 2013 at 7:16PM     
collettec
I know you said you were on an island, but hopefully you can return things if they don't work, so that factor might be a consideration to take into account as well. Lots of interesting choices to sift through from everyone - best to you in finding what works for you guys!
May 8, 2013 at 8:27PM     
studio10001
PS Don't forget, TBacon is interested in buying your old rug!!!
May 8, 2013 at 8:48PM   
defever
LB Interiors, I'm hoping I'll be able to find something other than sea grass, too. Have seen lots that I like, but need to weigh the modern on this end of the room with the very Shaker(?) style furniture 15' away. And I need to make sure that hubby is happy with the choice (after all, it's his wallet, too!). I REALLY wish rug #5 came in the right size -- that would have been the end of this discussion! ;-)
May 8, 2013 at 9:18PM   
defever
Collettec, the UPS driver is everyone's best friend around here!
May 8, 2013 at 9:19PM     
LB Interiors
Something between ..... transitional.
May 8, 2013 at 11:02PM   
defever
Success! Finally found a rug that hubby and I both love. Took someone's advice and upped the budget but I think/hope it will be worth it. Went with the color Amber/Gold -- on the + side, you'll never see the cat hair, on the ? side, hope the rug doesn't disappear into the flooring. Unfortunately paying more means I don't have that $ available to replace the dining room rug or the brown naugahide chair in the near future. Trade offs... Suzanne_m, if you're still here, could you try photo shopping this rug? LB Interiors, I went traditional (and I'm very happy that I didn't "settle" for sisal in the living room). Thank you for your guidance. http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Grimsby_Area_Rug/890/
May 11, 2013 at 9:15AM     
suzanne_m
Hi defever, I photoshoped your rug, see below. It is a very beautiful rug. When I saw it, I thought it was the one ... but ... imo it is ok but does not bring much to the space sorry :( . If you love it and it brings you joy when you look at it, it is what is most important.
May 11, 2013 at 11:50AM     
suzanne_m
defever, like I said before, if you like the rug that is what is the most important. If you feel, you would like to look some more then let us know. Maybe now, that you upped the budget there are other options we can show you without going sisal.
May 11, 2013 at 12:45PM   
LB Interiors
'defever' I llike your choice a lot, seems to fit you better.
I just wanted to add, that I looked at all the earlier posted rugs and one of my favorites from the beginning is 'suzanne's # 25 cyclone.

What I see in this rug for you ,is color and update from your norm. It's not over the top in color or design and I like the scale with your furniture.I like the options it gives you to introduce other colors, like the blue gray, carmel, orange/brown. I like that it has movement and is interesting. I like that it seems to be out of the box for you. I feel it updates the room, since you 'may' also be changing the brown chair. I feel that it is lively. It provides a continued eclectic look which I happen to find interesting.

I'm not sure, if hubby liked this. I'm not sure if you said that your walls are a pale yellow? Not sure if it came in the size you need or price point. In all the great photoshopped rooms, we don't see the yellow walls. So as I look at the photos I think it's hard to determine for all of us if a rug felt right.
May 11, 2013 at 1:32PM   
LB Interiors
It comes 6'7" x 9'3". I can't remember the final determined size that you wanted.
May 11, 2013 at 1:37PM   
defever
Thank you, suzanne_m for photo shopping the rug into the picture. We both like what we see...hopefully it will look like that, or better, in real life. And hopefully we didn't make a wrong choice (or if we did, we'll return it and start from scratch). I can't tell you how many hours I spent on line searching for rugs. I found many others that might have been better in this room but didn't come in the right size. What I REALLY loved was rug #5, but it didn't come in the required size either. LB Interiors, I saw the scrolly one but it didn't do anything for me. I will post the "after" picture when the rug arrives. If nothing else, it will be 100% better than the current navy & burgundy rug!
May 11, 2013 at 9:20PM     
suzanne_m
Good luck defever, I hope it turns out as good as you see it in the picture. If not, maybe you can ask the floorings stores in your area if they can cut and finish edges of the rug #5. You would need to bring a picture and the details of what it is made of. I had mine cut and finished edges but I can't remember how much they charged. Something like $1.60 a foot rings me a bell but I could be wrong. If they can and the price is right then maybe you could buy the 8 x 10 rug and have it cut and edges finished by a flooring store in your area.
May 11, 2013 at 9:43PM     
LB Interiors
Good luck, I feel from the photo it works well for you.
May 11, 2013 at 10:32PM   
defever
suzanne_m, I didn't even think about it being possible to cut a rug down...doh! Wish I had known about that a couple days ago!! Well, if the one we bought doesn't work, I'll check out your suggestion.
May 12, 2013 at 7:12AM   
suzanne_m
Sorry defever. I did not mention about buying the rug #5 and have it cut because it was already over the budget you had planned even before cutting it. I guess it would have been no arm to mention it. Sorry.
May 12, 2013 at 10:42AM     
leopardme
I need to suggest that you switch where the chairs and couch are placed in this room. The couch is really blocking the beautiful fireplace view. As for the carpet I really think stripes or colour blocks would be great:)
May 12, 2013 at 11:23AM   
defever
Leopardme, while I agree that the couch would look better against the wall, we have it this way because the view of the meadow and distant mountain are out the windows on the opposite wall. We prefer to sit in the chairs while we admire the view.
May 12, 2013 at 2:22PM     
suzanne_m
defever, have you received your rug? I am looking for rugs for someone else and I saw this one and I thought of you. This is kind of similar to rug #5. This one would need to be cut also since it is 8 x 11 but it is $358 instead of $416.

Rug #38:
May 16, 2013 at 5:26PM   
suzanne_m
Oops, I meant to give you the link to rug #38: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Red-Abstract-Rug-8-x-11/5981376/product.html

Hope you like the one you ordered as much as rug #5 :)
May 16, 2013 at 5:29PM   
defever
suzanne_m: I am anxiously waiting for the rug to arrive on Monday. I, too, hope it works. I think the traditional style will work better with the space, given the style of furniture in the dining room. Just hope it doesn't get lost with the floor...
May 16, 2013 at 6:19PM   
suzanne_m
I agree with you, the style of the rug you ordered will work better with your dining room set. Good luck. Please post pictures.
May 16, 2013 at 6:58PM     
defever
The new rug arrived and the jury is still out...the rug, itself, is lovely, but it is more brown than gold (I should have read all the reviews before I ordered it). I am definitely NOT a brown person! On the plus side, the pattern is good, the cats blend right in, it doesn't get lost on the floor, hubby likes it and there's a bit of ice blue that pulls in the blue of the 2 fire places. On the negative side, it is brown. Did I mention I hate brown? This rug is 6x9, 6" wider than the old rug, but some may say it's still too small. However, I'm not going to return it because the freight cost an arm and a leg to get it here and I don't feel like paying any more $ than I already have. If I decide I just can't live with this rug in the living room, I will move it to the dining room and start at the beginning.
May 20, 2013 at 9:04PM     
Andrea Prasch
Oh the woes of online shopping. Sorry to hear about your rug. Maybe you could try selling it on craigslist to get at least most of your money back. After all it is brand new!
May 20, 2013 at 9:07PM   
studio10001
Better too subtle than too wild. It is a beautiful carpet and may grow on you - but would be gorgeous in the dining room, if you decide to try again. Looks antique gold to me :)
May 20, 2013 at 9:18PM   
suzanne_m
Hi defever, sorry to hear that you're not completely in love with your rug. It's still a nice rug. It may grow on you. If not, then you have found your rug for your dining room so you are still ahead. Someone just mentioned in another discussion about the cost of returning a rug and others suggested that you may want to buy the small version (like a 2 x 3 or a small sample if they have one) just to check the colors before buying the real thing. Of course, you would need to evaluate if the cost of returning the small rug is worth it.
May 20, 2013 at 9:32PM     
LB Interiors
I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't what you expected. A thought, I missed in all your other photos. Maybe you can spray paint or glaze the fireplace screen. I never saw it there. It gets lost in the fireplace surround. Maybe an antique gold or copper.
May 21, 2013 at 12:06AM     
defever
LB Interiors: what an interesting idea! In real life, it is sort of antiqued but more on the silver side. That was another purchase off the web where the description and picture did not match reality, but it was such a pretty screen that we kept it..
May 21, 2013 at 6:55AM     
defever
The rug changes color depending on where you are standing. Sitting in my chair, the rug looks dark tan, but standing in the dining room, the rug takes on a dark gold color (the color I was hoping it would be). Suzanne_m, I like your suggestion of buying the smallest sized rug...another one of those "wish I had known..." thoughts. This rug comes in light gold; perhaps I'll check the website out and order the smallest size! Hopefully anyone reading this thread who is in the market to buy a new rug will learn a thing or two before actually buying! One more notch on the + side is this rug looks 100 times better than the navy/burgundy...even if it is brown! :-)
May 21, 2013 at 7:06AM     
defever
So I lived with the rug for a week and it sorta grew on me, but I thought it was still a bit too small...then last Monday I was bored and started browsing rugs and found a different one for the living room. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Medallion-Light-Brown-Grey-Wool-Rug-76-x-96/6287468/product.html
The new rug is larger and has several of the colors that are currently in the room. Unfortunately it is tan. The rug should be here in 2 days. The current rug will be relocated under the dining room table and given that they are both brown based, I'm hoping that they will look good together.
June 3, 2013 at 7:39AM   
defever
One more thing...I took someone's advice and swapped the lamps; the room looks much better! And the missing door is on the dining room table in the process of being primed and painted. It, and the surrounding trim work, will be painted pale yellow, assuming I can find the paint can in the barn! And we're headed off island tomorrow; I'll try to stop at JoAnne's Fabric as I know they have coordinating floral fabric that I can make pillows (for the loveseat) out of. So I think it's beginning to pull together...thank you, everyone! I will post the new rug when it arrives.
June 3, 2013 at 7:44AM     
suzanne_m
Hi Defever, yes please post a picture once you have it. In the meantime, I thought I could photoshop it. I am sure they will look great the 2 together and the size will do a difference.
June 3, 2013 at 10:59AM   
studio10001
This reminds of #25!
June 3, 2013 at 12:01PM   
defever
Guess deep down inside I am more traditional than I realized!. Pictures look good; let's hope the rug looks that nice in person. As I told my husband, if this one doesn't work out, we're going to have to add onto the house as we're running out of rooms in which I can relocate the rugs! :-)
June 3, 2013 at 12:37PM     
LB Interiors
A thought, even in the close-up of the firescreen, it's very dark and I can finally see that it is pretty. Suggestion to wipe on some antique gold glaze or spray paint antique gold. I think I'd rub some antique gold on the mirror as well, on the filigree (cut out details) of it.
June 3, 2013 at 1:34PM     
studio10001
I think this has been pretty fortuitous. It seems to be new stock -at least I don't remember seeing your choice when looking for monochromatics before...and we LOOKED! -but had we found it, you might not have such a beautiful one to coordinate w in the dining room! I am hopeful for this one; you may end up tweaking other choices, but that is to be expected, yes? I have fingers crossed for you, defever!!
June 3, 2013 at 2:42PM     
defever
LB: Someone (perhaps you?) previously suggested painting the fireplace screen and we like the suggestion. It just hasn't made it on the "to do" list yet, although we area headed to the mainland tomorrow for a shopping trip. I'll keep my eyes open for a can of spray. I'm assuming it should be special spray to withstand the heat of the fireplace? We didn't use the fireplace this year but that doesn't mean we won't in the future. Don't want to touch the mirror as it is antique Chinese.
June 3, 2013 at 6:26PM     
LB Interiors
Yes, I did mention before. Yes, it should be heat resistant and non-toxic. There are some that state 'fireplace' on the can, but may not have the antique gold. I don't know for sure.
June 3, 2013 at 6:46PM   
CDR Design
Hi defever. is there a tv in this room?
June 5, 2013 at 3:42AM   
defever
Good morning, cdrdesign! No, we do not own a TV.
June 5, 2013 at 7:24AM     
CDR Design
Sorry, I cannot read all the posts, but did try to skim them. Please excuse me if I say something that has already been reviewed, declined, etc.

I would

1) move the buffet to the dining room, if possible
2) float the couch in the middle of the room, facing the fireplace
3) Place one chair on either side of the couch (perpendicular to the couch)
4) Buy a rectangular coffee table to fit in the area.
5) The leather chair does not look good with the other colors. Can you replace it or recover?
6) Place the orange and black artwork above the fireplace
7) Place the mirror on the wall directly across from the fireplace (where buffet is now)
8) Paint the fireplace trim a burnished orange/brown
9) Add some coordinating pillows
June 5, 2013 at 7:44AM   
defever
cdrdesign: there are no walls in the dining room to accept the buffet. If I float it where the sofa currently is, I'll be looking at the back of it. We put the two chairs together at the end of the room because the view of the field and mountain is out the windows on the opposite side of the room. The coffee table is not a permanent fixture but for now it fits the space. The brown chair is definitely temporary and is the next item on the list to be replaced. That may be my next dilemma! We have plans to move the mirror once hubby builds a custom hall table and will paint the fireplace screen. Coordinating pillows is also on the to do list. I wanted to get the rug nailed down first (UPS hasn't delivered it yet). I will post pictures of the updated room later. Thanks for your advice!
June 5, 2013 at 12:43PM     
defever
Ugh...I am sitting here licking my wounds. Rug #2 is lovely but looks horrible with that darn floral chair! The size of the rug is good (7' would be perfect), and the colors match the loveseat and fireplaces; not sure it does much for the walls (one reviewer said there was yellow in the rug but I don't see it in mine). I moved rug #1 underneath the dining room table and it looks great there. So, my options at this point are (1) return the rug or (2) sell the chair or (3) find a slipcover for it. Hubby is out for the evening...he's going to kill me! I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. Blah... :-(
June 5, 2013 at 7:00PM   
CDR Design
Okay.....if you cannot move the buffet, my second choice would be to place the couch on the wall to the right of the fireplace. Place the chairs parallel to couch on the left side of the fireplace.
Larger rectangular coffe table between.

Can't wait to see your rug!
June 5, 2013 at 7:03PM   
suzanne_m
Defever, can the floral chair go somewhere else in the house?
June 5, 2013 at 7:11PM   
CDR Design
I would keep those 2 rugs. They look great together. Is it in your budget to buy 2 matching chairs (sell the other 2)?
June 5, 2013 at 7:11PM   
okiefamily
I think the second rug you ordered is beautiful! I think I'd try slip covering the chair or selling it and getting a new one. It's that darn chair that has been tripping me up through all the pictures... just to hard to work with.
June 5, 2013 at 7:39PM     
studio10001
Option #3 would allow you to make both chairs look well together in the room. You sew, so why not? I think this is good news -tell hubby you just saved the price of a new chair!
June 5, 2013 at 7:41PM   
defever
suzanne_m, the house only has a total of 4 rooms. Unfortunately there is no place else for the chair to go. cdrdesign, the rugs do look very nice together. I have never liked the floral chair and should never have let hubby talk me into it! Ah, lessons learned! He is out for the evening and hasn't seen the new rug yet. Perhaps once he sees it, he'll be ok with either getting rid of the chair, or having it recovered. The solid brown chair was a $20 yard sale find and was never intended to be permanent. Although it's butt ugly, it is rather comfortable! And while the loveseat would probably look better against the wall to the right of the fireplace, we prefer to look out the windows at the view, rather than looking at a yellow wall with a red loveseat! ;-) The orange wall hanging is one I recently made. For the time being, it is taking up space on the wall. I'm hoping I'll be able to cement the rest of the room and accessories once I have the rug figured out. Part of the problem is living on an island where there are no furniture or big box stores. Yesterday's excursion off island was an all-day affair and the ferry was $60, plus breakfast & lunch for 2. Needless to say, we don't do that very often!
June 5, 2013 at 7:50PM     
defever
studio10001, I quilt...there's a difference! :-) I have never attempted a slipcover before, but you are correct in that the cost of fabric would be less than a new chair. However, since I want to replace the solid brown chair anyway, perhaps this would be a good time to buy two. I'll have lots of overtime coming over the next 3 months; that should allow me to buy them.
June 5, 2013 at 8:01PM     
LB Interiors
Great idea if you can buy two chairs.
June 5, 2013 at 8:07PM     
studio10001
And hubby can hardly be angry - he's responsible for all this! :)
June 5, 2013 at 8:35PM     
suzanne_m
Maybe I am pushing my luck but this is what I suggest :
Can you find the same chair as the floral chair but in a fabric that pleases you. Then have your floral chair re-ulphostered in the same fabric as the new chair?
June 5, 2013 at 8:47PM   
defever
Suzanne_m, I bought the chair from Ashley Furniture. They do not sell this chair in a different fabric, but the salesperson said I could probably find a similar chair that would coordinate style-wise. She didn't know if Ashley sells fabric by the yard and the customer service # she gave me is closed for the evening. I'll try them tomorrow. Just for chuckles, I tossed a gray jacket I have across the floral chair and it made a huge difference, so I think that's the direction I need to go in. Pictures tomorrow, I promise!
June 5, 2013 at 9:02PM   
defever
Ha ha! I just checked out Joanne Fabrics' website looking for upholstery material. I must have good taste because everything I saw that I liked was in the $60/yd range! Ouch!! I definitely don't want to learn how to slipcover with expensive material -- perhaps just buying 2 matching chairs will be easier on the nerves and hopefully on the marriage! I know there's a gal on island who does it, but she's not cheap (and she's not that good, either). Well, off to bed...
June 5, 2013 at 9:20PM   
suzanne_m
Maybe you could buy the fabric at the store where you buy your new chair and shop around as to where to have the floral chair re-upholstered.
June 5, 2013 at 9:23PM   
LB Interiors
Joanne's has a sale now and then at 50 % off, maybe online too.
June 5, 2013 at 10:09PM   
Sue Potter
The husband LOVED the Chair so it "stays as is ", as does her new couch Love them both.!!..Look for another chair in a solid color (pick one color from the chair ). Get rid of that leather recliner YIKES. Since the wood floor is LIGHT you need to go dark with the rug.(chocolate) always go the reverse on a color, example, Light floor "dark rug", dark floor light rug) I would pick a Solid color or very small print rug (Buy two you love, bring home and try them).take one back LOL..and on the Contemporary side since your chair is. Use the Couch & two chairs ADD solid color or stripe Chocolate/cream for chair would look great> chair from Marshals under 100 usually. Couple throw pillows for couch. Any resale shops? or craigslist? You could look there too (save some money) You definetly need to remove both pictures use them in another room. How about a Nice Black or Gold rimmed mirror BIG either round or Horizontal would do the trick above fireplace. And that other wall another Horizontal Picture scaled to the wall.(eye level) If you really need to use a picture use the one behind the chairs above fireplace until you find another. then add candle sticks 3 different levels on one side and something else on the other>.Maybe pottery large in a bright contrasting color..Your dining room...You can use a print rug under the table to coordinate with what you use in living room. Let me ask because its hard to see..IS there any Purple/blue or what ever color the rug you have in your living room in the Chair hubby loves?? IF so USE that rug in dining room. Get rid of the dining room rug...Add drapes on sides of the roll ups in a coordinating color to bring more color into room. OR use those rugs in other rooms with a door. Rooms that mesh together should have 1-2 colors in each room, that blend the rooms. since you can see from each room. When you have a door you can change colors. Can you post close ups of colors in CHAIR ? Love the chair & couch by the way!!
June 5, 2013 at 10:42PM   
Sue Potter
Online shop...Whole sale fabrics...there's 2-4 that sell Fabric for furniture cheaper then most shops. I don't have time to search them, sorry, I'm redoing a whole house from a flood. But they are there and NOT 60.00 Yrd..more like 15.00...I might have time sat ...but not until then. (sigh)
June 5, 2013 at 10:45PM   
Sue Potter
Also on rugs...Find out the Manufactures (need name of rug, a number or who makes it )and search their sites..WHY pay the middle Man and ASK them to cut the rug. OR if it comes in the size required. I BUY wholesale all the time and make deals with tons of Manufactures, same with Fabrics. I made a deal just yesterday and saved hundreds.
June 5, 2013 at 10:51PM   
CDR Design
defever, with a small house, you almost have to treat it as one room, with a few vignettes. You are very smart to go with those coordinating carpets and then just buy 2 chairs. I would not spend the money to recover Ashley furniture. It looks good, but is not extremely high quality.

Question: I am confused. I though you said the 2 chairs, where they are now, look out to a view. So, why, if you move the couch where the 2 chairs are, would you not be looking out to a view?

What I would suggest is basically putting the couch where chairs are and chairs where couch is.
June 6, 2013 at 3:28AM   
defever
cdr, yes, of course the view would remain where it is...it's just our preference to sit in our individual chairs rather than on the loveseat. Guess we both like our own "space"! And you are correct about the Ashley furniture; we did not pay much. Hubby agrees that his chair does not work with the rug so I'll see if I can find a ready-made slipcover.
June 6, 2013 at 7:19AM   
defever
Sue Potter: lots of good advice, some of which is already on my "list". I was hoping to find "the" rug that would match hubby's chair, without going too dark because I have 2 orange cats. Neither of us wants a solid brown rug and some rugs that I thought might work were deemed too dark by hubby. So I went in the gold/tan direction. Unfortunately the orange in his chair is really tripping me up! I think I am now onto something...not 100% sure it's the right thing, but I'll ride the wave and see where it lands me. Then I'll concentrate on accessories and art work. Going to the store to buy and return items is a very costly proposition since I live on an island, so we buy on-line, cross our fingers and occasionally end up settling for what arrived rather than pay the freight to return.
June 6, 2013 at 7:28AM     
CDR Design
Rug: in a smaller house, keeping the rug in the same tones as the floor (as you have) is a good idea (less choppiness)

Furn arrangement: given what you have said, current furn arrangement is the best. However, I would square up the chairs to be directly parallel to couch.

Hey, can we see a pic with the new rug?
June 6, 2013 at 7:44AM   
defever
cdr, every time I square up the chairs, hubby comes and turns his! I have attached pics. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that his chair doesn't match! I'll see if I can find an affordable slipcover for his chair. We probably won't be off island again until Sept. so I won't be able to replace my chair until then. The new rug really compliments the loveseat and the 2 fireplaces, which I like. I'll have to check the paintings we put in storage to see if anything might work now that we're going to get away from orange.
June 6, 2013 at 12:25PM     
suzanne_m
Rugs are very nice and go so well together. Your cat disappears when on the rug so the hair must not show at all. I like both rug but even more the second one and like you said it goes well with the sofa and table too. Good choice!
June 6, 2013 at 12:33PM   
defever
Thanks, suzanne_m! Truth be told, I'm glad hubby isn't giving me a hard time over the fact that his chair is going to go! When I threw my gray jackets on it this morning, he understood completely! I'll search the internet to see if I can find a slipcover; otherwise, I'll advertise his chair locally.
June 6, 2013 at 12:43PM   
CDR Design
Great rug choice! I love how they look together. Do you want more suggestions and/or what are your plans for the room?

What is the artwork you made? Tapestry? Some sort of crewelry? I am thinking it needs more honor by mounting and framing it.
June 6, 2013 at 1:01PM   
suzanne_m
I don't know which one is harder to find between a second chair or a slip cover but I would buy the one that is harder to find first.
June 6, 2013 at 1:14PM   
LB Interiors
Slipcovers are at JC Penney and Bed Bath and Beyond. I think you need a rug that shows more amounts and brighter yellow or gold. Your rugs are tan and dark beige so they tend to blend softly. They work well, but I thought you wanted a slight punch of color. I can't imagine the difficulty for returning items and the cost it can entail. I bet everyone on the island keeps what they order for the same reasons. It's really quite annoying. :))
June 6, 2013 at 5:41PM   
studio10001
What are those events called where everyone trades their castoffs?
June 6, 2013 at 5:49PM   
studio10001
Swap meet? The island needs someone to organize a swap meet!
June 6, 2013 at 5:51PM     
suzanne_m
I think the rugs work great. defever could add color using pillows and have some colored accessories on the coffee table. She also mentioned that she is going to add art on the walls.
June 6, 2013 at 6:12PM   
defever
Thanks LB Interiors, I will check out those 2 websites. I thought the first rug I ordered was going to be gold (I ordered Amber color); but it was definitely more coffee w/milk colored than gold. The second rug said the background was tan but it's really a gold with greenish hint. So much for accurate descriptions! We used to have a spot called The Exchange, where you could bring your unwanted but useable items. You could exchange it for something you might find, or you could pay minimum $ if you didn't have anything to exchange. Unfortunately it caught fire last Feb. and the powers that be are trying to get thru the red tape to create another Exchange. And we have our own Buy, Sell, Trade just for the islands. It's still a ferry ride but a much shorter, and cheaper, one. Trying to see/buy something on Craigslist on the mainland just doesn't work for us. There is also a consignment furniture store here; I'll bring them a picture and see if they would be interested in selling it.
June 6, 2013 at 6:15PM     
defever
So I think my best plan of attack will be to sell the floral chair and buy 2 matching chairs. I'm thinking gray (or perhaps it's a slate blue) would be the best color. I don't want to try to match the red loveseat -- too much red for the small space. Hubby has already proclaimed he does not want a white chair and I don't think tan would look good with the soft butter yellow walls.
June 6, 2013 at 6:24PM     
LB Interiors
Good Idea, I hope the Exchange reopens soon!
June 6, 2013 at 6:25PM   
LB Interiors
I'm not fond of gray for you. It would seem to only work with the fireplace. Blue is a great color but you have nothing now that could work with it. Is there blue in the new carpet? If so, that will work. Not sure. I think a print chair is the best. Something like these.
Not necessarily the style, I know it may not be the pattern either.

Example of fabric colors only.
# 1 I like this style and fabric
Magic Linen Living Room Chair
Sam Moore Kelsea Wing Chair - Farina
June 6, 2013 at 6:33PM   
LB Interiors
# 3 I like this too
June 6, 2013 at 6:37PM     
LB Interiors
If you go with a solid color, I'd go with yellow beige or sandy tan, tan, soft green if green in the carpet http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Tucker-Tan-Recliner/5612169/product.html
Recliners 1 Recliners 2://www.houzz.com/photos/2311502/Recliners-eclectic-chairs-minneapolis
June 6, 2013 at 6:41PM   
CDR Design
Yes, best plan is 2 matching chairs. I am seeing some blue in the carpet. I like the idea of slate blue. showing below for patterns only. I would use a large pattern that brings out the red and the blue.
[houzz=Sofa Mart: Evelyn Chair]
[houzz=Gray Vintage Floral Reading Chair]
June 6, 2013 at 7:21PM   
suzanne_m
defever, if you are looking for new chairs, would you like them to be recliners? Would you like it if they swivel too?
June 6, 2013 at 7:43PM   
Hammonds Paints
Hi ladies. I have just joined and it has taken me shall I say some time to read all of this and I must admit I skipped over the last of it because my eyes were getting sore. (who needs glass's?) any how I have noticed that there is a lot of repeat comments on here and some ladies have really gone out of their way to help you. I Apologise again if I repeat something.However overall, here's my thoughts, I simply love your taste and design. Eclectic, recycled, vintage they all play such a large part in making a room feel lived in and tell a story. I love your old $20.00 find and the floral chair. Things shouldn't match to much when they are eclectic as long as the colour pallet works which I think it does. As for the cat fur, if you are having trouble getting it off your couch simply just wet your hands with water and run them over the couch and mat if need be, it picks up more that your vaccume ever will. I do however feel very strongly about painting around the fireplace with a black or charcoal to frame it and make it more heavier on that side of the room to balance it from the other side where you have dark wooden furniture, not to mention it looks like it is the feature in the room but isn't grounded and framed with the white around it. Perhaps you could leave the squares in the corners white so that when it meets the skirting boards it wont cause you a problem. What do you think.? Ps your doing a great job.
June 6, 2013 at 7:48PM   
LB Interiors
Hammonds, you are right with the fireplace needing a frame. Just to let you know, you may have missed that 'defeever said her walls are pale yellow. We also questioned the wall color. So I don't think the photos are giving us a good picture of the room. I think the moldings around the fireplace might show up more in a better photo.
June 6, 2013 at 8:01PM     
suzanne_m
Not this style but I like the fabric
June 6, 2013 at 8:44PM     
defever
Now I'm as confused as ever! Really...big, colorful prints with this rug? I'm just not seeing it I guess. LB Interiors, there is a grayish silvery blue in the new rug (seen better in the top right photo and also in the medallion under the coffee table), as well as the original rug, which is now under the dining room table. Originally, when we were building the house, we were thinking we were going to have navy furniture, thus the blue tiles around the fireplace and blue propane heating stove. That all changed when hubby found "the chair"!
June 6, 2013 at 9:04PM   
defever
LB, I like the fabric in #1 and #3; it would be interesting to see how they look in real life. My monitor must be way off because the vintage fabric looks more robin's egg blue than gray.
June 6, 2013 at 9:07PM   
defever
Suzanne_m, I'm not opposed to a recliner at all. I think the room has sufficient space for us to pull the chairs out from the wall; I know they make wall hugger recliners. I think the biggest issue would be that they aren't super overstuffed chairs. So you think more red in the living room? I was thinking the blue/gray as it is in both rugs (trying to tie the 2 rooms together a bit).
June 6, 2013 at 9:11PM   
LB Interiors
Wow, I don't think we can see the fireplace surround has blue at all. Looks charcoal and black. No blue visible. The rug looks like gray accent. Not blue. Wow, maybe it's the camera or our monitors. Yes big colorful print chairs with this rug. With that, blue will work for you!
June 6, 2013 at 9:15PM   
suzanne_m
This is one chair I like and could come with the fabric shown on the foot rest. It is a pallister.
June 6, 2013 at 9:17PM   
LB Interiors
I think you're afraid to go with more updated fabrics and design. The rugs and fabrics that you are liking are smaller prints, soft, muted, blended, not much contrast. Fabrics today are larger prints with more contrast colors and make more of a statement. It's okay, go with what you're comfortable with. I think we were all trying to update your design a bit.
June 6, 2013 at 9:18PM   
defever
Hammonds Paints, thank you so much for your kind words. Boy, this has been such a challenge! I used to decorate our house and friends' houses as a hobby; I'd like to think I was pretty good at it, given the number of requests I received. I think I lost my mojo when we moved onto our boat for 10 years -- not a whole lot of opportunity to decorate with built-in furniture. I used to get excited when it came time to buy new spray for the head -- oh boy, shall I buy the yellow can or the red can this time? :-) Regarding the fireplace...like many other things in the house, it is not finished. We have sort of run out of steam and money; we spent 3 years building it ourselves and moved in last Labor Day. We do have plans to finish the fireplace surround and mantle by Christmas, and we plan to stain the surround, rather than paint it. So that should, hopefully, frame it nicely.
June 6, 2013 at 9:20PM     
suzanne_m
Actually defever I am debating between blue or red. I understand that you want to include the blue that you have in the other room but at the same time the only red you have is your sofa.

I will photoshop the blue gray vintage chair that cdrdesign found.
June 6, 2013 at 9:21PM   
defever
The fireplace tiles do look charcoal/black in the photos, but when the sun or light shines on it, it's definitely a multi-toned blue'ish, black'ish, gray'ish color! Here are a couple more pictures that I took yesterday. One is a better close up of the rug and the other shows the blue propane stove. One [more] question: you can see the primed firewood door in the photo with the chair. Should I paint the door white, or paint it and the surrounding trim the yellow that matches the walls? It will not be accessed very often. And one more thought while I'm at it...I would like to put a small bookcase against the wall to the right of that door. Again, not really to be accessed frequently, but I would like to get my photo albums out of the barn before the mice get into the boxes -- yuk! Would a bookcase make that corner look too heavy?
June 6, 2013 at 9:33PM     
suzanne_m
Not the best photoshop but I just wanted to show the colors. I like it. Very refreshing.
June 6, 2013 at 9:33PM     
suzanne_m
Now that I see a close-up of the rug maybe the blue of the chair should be a bit more grayish
June 6, 2013 at 9:36PM     
LB Interiors
The small door paint and trim - wall color - yellow, it's not a decorative focal for the wall.
June 6, 2013 at 9:37PM     
defever
Suzanne_m, don't forget there is red in the new rug, so that ties the loveseat in. But I can see where you and cdrdesign are going with finding a fabric that has both red and blue. What a great way to build my quilting stash -- just tell hubby that I'm "interviewing" possible colors and patterns to go with the living room rug! I love it! :-)
June 6, 2013 at 9:38PM     
suzanne_m
I would paint the trim and the door the same color as the wall. If you really don't need access to that hole, I would put the little book case right in front of the hole. I would put the book case on sliding coasters.
June 6, 2013 at 9:38PM     
defever
Thank you LB Interiors. I believe you told me that before and we liked the idea...just confirming! Should I paint the trim surrounding that door, too?
June 6, 2013 at 9:40PM   
LB Interiors
I like the printin the blue chairs. Gives life to the room! That's what we like about lighter colors and big prints. :)
June 6, 2013 at 9:41PM     
LB Interiors
You flipped the chairs too suzanne, good call.
June 6, 2013 at 9:43PM   
crenteria1915
I would take the rug and put it under the buffet across from the fireplace, move the sofa and overhang lamp to the wall (it will bring out the cool pic with the orange color). move the chairs and the end table with lamp to the side opposite the orange pic. I wouldn't put a rug in the space with the seating. It makes it look more open without it.
June 6, 2013 at 9:44PM   
defever
The bookcase I'm thinking about is only 30" wide and will neatly center into the space to the right of the door. I don't think anything will be gained by blocking the door. Hubby is currently utilizing the bookcase in his office but he really needs a bigger bookcase, so I'm hoping to be able to put it to use in the house.
June 6, 2013 at 9:44PM   
LB Interiors
Thanks for the pics, defever. A print with blue for chairs is good. Works with the bar pendants too.
June 6, 2013 at 9:48PM   
LB Interiors
Bookcase will be fine at right side if it's not too tall. If it is not in the center of the entire wall from 'fireplace surround' to wall corner, place it very close to the door molding not centered in the remainder space. You may need to add a floor plant in front of the door to balance the space.
June 6, 2013 at 9:51PM   
defever
Crenteria1915, interesting idea! Unfortunately the rug is too large. If I were to just pull it up against the wall as it is currently oriented, it would run into the propane stove. If I place it sideways instead of lengthwise, it is too long and will run into the wood burning fireplace. We have the chairs against the wall as it affords us a lovely view out the windows.
June 6, 2013 at 9:51PM   
suzanne_m
Yes, I just looked at another photo of your living room and I see that you have room to place the book case beside the door. So it is fine there. Before l looked at that photo, I was concerned that you would need to move the chair and the side table and the other chair which would make it too close to the door.
June 6, 2013 at 9:55PM   
defever
LB Interiors, the bookcase is only 45" tall, which is lower than the top of the fireplace tile and it's only 9" deep, so it's not overbearing. I have the blackest thumb you've ever seen...would a floor vase work?
June 6, 2013 at 9:59PM     
defever
I'm going to sign off for the night. Thank you very much for all your advice. Perhaps I need to spend a day furniture shopping so I can visualize these large print chairs (didn't I already buy one of those?).
June 6, 2013 at 10:01PM   
LB Interiors
I didn't mind the print chair, but you needed something to go with and the best would have been a matching one.

Good, bookcase is short enough. I think the vase is too small. The floor vase may be fine, would have to see the scale in front of the door. Don't put flowers, maybe peacock feathers or twisted branches.
June 6, 2013 at 10:13PM   
LB Interiors
I may not like the bookcase by the fireplace. I'm pretty sure you can move the two chairs farther forward onto the carpet. It won't be too close to the coffee table. Then, put the bookcase under the orange pic in center of the wall. Move the table with the chairs. It's only 9" deep. In all the photos, I know you have the space to do it. Create a tighter grouping. It's done all the time. You only need 18" -- 20" from chair to coffee table. And stlll probably have enough room for the stool. Move it all 12"-15" toward the coffee table.
June 6, 2013 at 10:18PM     
Hammonds Paints
No sorry LB Interiors I must have missed the wall colour in my skimming. The wall colour doesn't look yelllow at all in the pics except I can see it in the latest two. I'm sure when the fire place is finished defever will make it look fantastic. So great to get all these opinions. Wouldn't mind some help on a pic I just posted though ladies (not to take the focus of defever but I'm a little stuck as to what to do besides the safe option. If any of you get time have a look and let me know what you think its a challenge! Have a great weekend girls.
June 6, 2013 at 10:30PM   
LB Interiors
Hammonds, extremely easy to do on this long thread. :) Thanks you too. What is the name of the dilemma? Will try to look see. Good night!
June 6, 2013 at 10:44PM   
Hammonds Paints
Kitchen dilemma. Thanks that would be great.
June 6, 2013 at 11:01PM   
June 6, 2013 at 11:30PM   
CDR Design
Suzanne....thanks for photoshopping the chairs!! I agree that they are too aqua for the blue in the rug....only trying to give you and idea of how to pull all the colors together. If you found something with the grey-blue and red and gold it would be awesome. A stripe would work also, but more conservative.
June 7, 2013 at 4:17AM     
CDR Design
Another safer option is to buy a solid shale-blue chair and pull together with pillows as they did below. (Not exactly right colors, but you get the idea).

houzz=
]
June 7, 2013 at 5:06AM   
defever
LB Interiors, I'm confused by your statement, "I didn't mind the print chair, but you needed something to go with and the best would have been a matching one." Are you saying you like the orange floral chair with the rug and I should buy a 2nd one?
June 7, 2013 at 7:32AM   
defever
I have thought about putting the bookcase behind the chairs but then wondered if it's too insignificant for the space. Perhaps something longer and lower would be better there? Well, the good thing is furniture is mobile and assuming I can steal it from hubby, I can try it both ways.
June 7, 2013 at 7:34AM     
suzanne_m
I think the chair above that studio10001 found works in the room. Also this chair swivels which is nice when we want an interesting conversation with the partner. Looking at the left bottom corner of the chair, it seems that it reclines also. It is a nice feature except that with this chair, the recline position might be uncomfortable since the back is low and the head might not rest on the back.
June 7, 2013 at 1:24PM   
CDR Design
The colors in the above chair work, but I think the size of the pattern and the pattern itself are too similar to the rug. To me, there is nothing special about them. (I hope my personal bias isn't taking over here. Maybe I just don't like them).

I think a larger pattern, a stripe, or a solid would work better.

One thing good: you wouldn't have to worry about your husband turning the chair..
June 7, 2013 at 1:43PM     
defever
For now, I guess we'll live with the chairs as is, because we won't be going off island probably until Sept and it would be nice to have something comfortable to sit on between now and then. When it comes time to buy the chairs, I will open another dilemma and we can pick up where this is leaving off. And in the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for on-island garage sales, etc, in the off chance that the right pair of chairs is for sale. We definitely will not buy the chairs without giving them the sit test first. A huge THANK YOU!! to you all. I would like to think I have learned lots!
June 7, 2013 at 5:40PM     
studio10001
I hope very much that you are able to find something on the island, and send continued good thought your way.
June 7, 2013 at 5:50PM     
LB Interiors
Yes, defever, if money is an issue, confusion and returns etc. I liked the floral chaiir, Just get another one like it and you're done. I'm all about saving money too. It seems you're having a hard time liking another chair to go with the floral. If you don't like it then forget what I said. Get two new chairs. BTW I love the bluegray floral chairs that 'cdr' posted. Don't be afraid to use chairs that are a little lighter and more updated in the room. In the end, I think that's what you want, a change. You seem to be sticking to your norm. That's fine too, I love the Gray vintage chair or something like it. It talks to me, brightens the room adds life and is fresh.

P.S. Remember that you would need accent pillows and or art that carries the Gray vintage chair. I think if you found pillows that work with the chair, you might feel and see what I am.
June 7, 2013 at 6:21PM   
LB Interiors
The blue in the rug does not have to be the same blue in a chair.
June 7, 2013 at 6:25PM   
CDR Design
Defever. I agree with LB Interiors. Every blue does not have to be match-matchy.

If you are on the fence about doing something bold, a good choice is a solid with some texture. You can add bold splashes with patterned pillows that give you and updated look.

I don't think you are going to be happy trying to match the floral chair. Best to sell it and go with 2 chairs that are the same. If you had a large room, with several chairs, you could get away with it, but in that small venue, I think you need 2 of the same chairs.

Enjoy your summer on the island!
June 7, 2013 at 6:49PM   
defever
Ok, I'm still confused...LB and cdr, you both are saying the floral chair. You are referring to hubby's orange floral chair? I can buy another one (it is still available from Ashley). I just didn't think it matched the rug well because there is no orange in the rug, but perhaps if there were two matching chairs, it would be ok?
June 8, 2013 at 8:19AM   
CDR Design
Oh, I dd not realize you could buy another floral chair from Ashley's to match existing.

While I prefer one like the two I posted, I think the Ashley chair could work.

No orange in the rug and no blue in the Ashley chair, but there are enough common colors that the Ashley chair works. What you could do is to add some blue in pillows.
June 8, 2013 at 8:39AM   
LB Interiors
I was talking about hubby's chair, Yes it works, it does not need the blue or orange. Another match would be fine. I like the Gray floral better but, why spend more unless you'll be sorry if you keep hubby's chair choice. And you'd have two of them. Be happy if you keep it.
June 8, 2013 at 8:55AM   
suzanne_m
How about having gold pillow and blue grayish lamp shade?
June 8, 2013 at 9:35AM   
liquidsunshine13
i've enjoyed reading your progress. did you really quilt the "She Who Watches"? very impressive - one of my favorite images & you did such a nice job.
June 8, 2013 at 10:08AM     
defever
Interesting, suzanne_m, I hadn't thought about switching out the lamp shade, but it's a possibility. The more I look at the orange floral chair with the rug, the more I dislike it. Think the best way for me to go will be to replace both chairs with matching ones, either red or gray/blue. I should try one of the gold chairs from the guest bedroom to see how that color goes, but I think it might be too much yellow, between the walls and the rug. 60-30-10...60=yellow; 30=red and 10=slate blue fireplaces?
June 8, 2013 at 10:49AM   
defever
Just put coat #1 on the door to the hole in the wall, and painted the trim around it, too. I think it's going to be a good change out, especially when we finish the fireplace surround. Thank you for the suggestion!
June 8, 2013 at 10:50AM   
CDR Design
Yes, I think your 60/30/10 combo stated above is what you are going for.

Gold chair won't work.

Before you make a choice on chairs, try some solid red and gold pillows and maybe a couple of blue vases somewhere and see if you like how it all looks with existing floral chair.

If you post, we will comment.
June 8, 2013 at 11:02AM     
suzanne_m
I am a bit confused about the door and trim, I thought you were going to paint the door and the trim the color of your wall. On the picture above you said that you have painted the trim but it still look white.
June 8, 2013 at 11:08AM     
defever
Bevh, are you referring to the wall hanging in the picture? Yes, I finished it in January. Had to screw my courage up and took a BIG step outside my comfort zone to make it! It is actually "Raven Salmon", which is a totemic design by Tlingit wood carver, Tommy Joseph. The pattern is by Lisa Moore, "Quilts with a Twist". Thank you for your nice words.
June 8, 2013 at 11:11AM     
suzanne_m
Your quilt is quite impressive defever. You are very talented!
June 8, 2013 at 11:13AM     
defever
suzanne_m, the trim around the outside of the fireplace was left white, I painted the trim around the little door pale yellow. The picture above does not reflect the painting I've just done. We have company coming for the weekend so probably won't get a chance to do too much more to the room. Busy touching up paint and doing the finish painting to the linen cabinet doors. Nothing like company coming to get the honey-do's done!
June 8, 2013 at 11:15AM     
defever
Not for rating, just for showing off a little,..this is what is currently on my bed...memories of our 10 years living aboard and at sea.
June 8, 2013 at 11:19AM     
suzanne_m
Silly me, I was looking at an old picture when I made the comment that the trim around the door still look white.
This quilt is also fantastic!
June 8, 2013 at 11:26AM     
suzanne_m
Actually the two flower chairs are not that bad. I am leaving now but if you find red chairs or blue chairs, I will photoshop them later.
June 8, 2013 at 12:00PM     
liquidsunshine13
looking closer, I see the salmon & raven, it is beautiful - so wonderful to have such a great talent. thanks for sharing your other work, too.
June 8, 2013 at 12:08PM     
CDR Design
That quilt is a true work of art!!!

I think you should try placing a red pillow with a little bit of blue in it on the chairs.....then they would look really good!
June 8, 2013 at 12:46PM     
defever
I'll see if I have any fabric that might work to tease the imagination.
June 8, 2013 at 12:52PM     
suzanne_m
The 2 floral chairs with the red sofa.
June 8, 2013 at 1:42PM   
suzanne_m
Defever, since you put your other rug in the dining room, it seems that you don't have any other blue than the grayish blue found in the fireplace and a bit in your rug. IMO, if you want to add a third color, it would be the dark grayish blue found in your fireplace and it would be in small doses. The rest would be in cream, yellow, gold and red.
June 8, 2013 at 1:51PM   
defever
That's the 60-30-10 theory that I think we'll be going for: 60 yellow, 30 red and 10 blue...OR 60 yellow, 30 blue and 10 red (assuming the red sofa isn't too big to equal 10%?). When I look at your photoshopped picture above, the rug looks very gold and looks great with the chairs but I don't think the chair/rug combo looks that good in reality! I moved a taller floor vase (not the one shown in one of my previous bedroom photos) in front of the hole in the wall. I think the colors are good, but it's hard to tell if it's in a good spot because I currently have the trim masked off with royal blue tape. If hubby likes it, we'll look around for some curly branches to stick in it to help draw the eye upward a bit. Can't do peacock feathers...the cats love them!
June 8, 2013 at 2:44PM     
suzanne_m
I like your combo 60-yellow, 30-red and 10-blue. Here's with a very quick photoshop the vision cdrdesign was saying in his second to last comment. With some grayish blue vases, I think it will look good.
June 8, 2013 at 2:56PM   
suzanne_m
with blue shades
June 8, 2013 at 3:19PM   
LB Interiors
I agree, add red pillows on the chairs.
June 8, 2013 at 3:20PM     
CDR Design
Suzanne, thanks for taking the time to do that photoshop. Yes, that pulls it together well, I think. The gray-blue lamps really pull in the blue in the rug as well as the fp surround. We are making progress (that is if defever likes).
June 8, 2013 at 4:02PM     
defever
The reality of pillows around here is that they end up on the floor when we're sitting! But I have one of the red pillows that came with the loveseat, so I can toss it on the floral chair. I didn't know there was such a thing as a blue lampshade? Guess I need to get out more! I have the matching table lamp so could switch the floor lamp out. Maybe I'll take a poll of friends and family to see what they think of the chair/rug combo.
June 8, 2013 at 4:22PM     
defever
Showed hubby the tall vase and his response was that it looked like it was trying to hide something. Hey suzanne_m, you made my hole in the wall disappear! ;-)
June 8, 2013 at 4:24PM   
suzanne_m
I am glad I am not the only one to put pillows on the floor ... actually the pillows I have they are always on the floor but I put them in a decorative way. As for lamp shades, yes you will find different colors, I am just not sure if you will find some that dark though. It is so easy with photoshop to put any color we want with any size we want.
June 8, 2013 at 4:27PM   
suzanne_m
I wonder if you can just add some blue accent on the shades. I have seen some shows where they glued ribbon around the edges of the shades.
June 8, 2013 at 4:31PM   
suzanne_m
One way I imagine in your living room is to move the beautiful mirror to another nice place, move your fabulous quilt over the fire place, have an art between the two chairs that would have all these colors: dark blue, red and gold and have a little dark blue accent on the lamp shades. As for the pillows, I put mine on the floor beside the fireplace. Maybe you can try the same thing.
June 8, 2013 at 4:40PM     
LB Interiors
Re: lampshade, maybe all you need to do is create two bands of color. Glue some blue grosgrain or linen type ribbon around a shade at top and bottom. That's all you really need.

OOPS, suzanne just said the same. Clicked submit and there it was LOL
June 8, 2013 at 4:40PM     
Zari Wahab
I like you blue tone rug. what doesn't work in this room is the color of the furniture and the leather chair. get rid of the leather chair and slipcover the couch and the chair
June 8, 2013 at 4:53PM   
LB Interiors
defever, can you place the larger vase at the door and see what we think about it? Post the pic. We can imagine curly branches in it.
June 8, 2013 at 4:59PM     
suzanne_m
I understand people that would like to help but do not want to read 200+ comments. However, I wish they would read at least the initiator's comments, they might learn things like the initiator said that the leather chair is temporary is will be gone soon.
June 8, 2013 at 5:04PM   
defever
LB Interiors, I will take the picture tomorrow, once the door is dry enough for me to safely handle. I'm sure it will present itself differently without the hole in the wall! I keep looking around the room wondering if there's someplace else I can put it and have an idea, but won't be able to really check it out until company leaves Tues. AM. Love the idea of glueing a couple bands of color along the lampshade; I think it will be well received more than blue lampshades.
June 8, 2013 at 5:29PM     
defever
I love my father-in-law's statement regarding the rug/chair combo...and I quote, "it looks ok but it's not participating..."! I think he nailed it!
June 8, 2013 at 8:30PM     
CDR Design
That is hilarious. That is how my Dad used to talk.....very dry sense of humor.

I am going to put on my scientific hat. Stay with me.

My conclusion is that I think your floral Ashley chairs could work, but here is my designer scientific theory as to why they are not working: the size and shape and colors of the pattern on both the rug and the chairs are very similar. That is, the designs within each are circular, about the same size and predominantly the same color. So, the rug and the chairs are sort of melding.

But only sort of.......The chair has a bolder pattern than the rug, which actually negatively makes the rug look faded (negative) as opposed to muted (which is what we want).

I am posting the chair I posted previously again to show the difference. The below chair works because it is predominantly a different shade from the rug (although still picks up the colors of rug and couch), The shape of the pattern is still round as in the rug, but the pattern overall looks large, because you see the flowers as a group, not little flowers as in Ashley chair.

The below chair "participates" because he takes on a role: he picks up the blue in the rug, a job that was previously unfilled. He also does not try to fight with the rug or the couch.

Gray Vintage Floral Reading Chair

You are going to either think I am nuts or a genius. Take your pick!

Having said all that, I did think of a way we could make the Ashley chairs work. That would be to add some red trim to the bottom, to break the plane btwn the chair and the rug. I would fill the whole front seat area with red. But, then are you talking more $?
June 9, 2013 at 2:45AM     
defever
Thank you, cdr...you explained it very well and I now get it. Even hubby gets it! I have some red fabric that I can play with to see if that would make a difference. You are talking about making a skirt to cover the open space? Or a red panel to cover the piece below the seat cushion? We're hosting breakfast so I won't be able to play around until later, but will post pictures. One of hubby's eyebrows goes up occasionally when I say what has been suggested by the pros, but so far, the changes I have made have received a thumbs up from the skeptic!
June 9, 2013 at 7:49AM   
CDR Design
Correct.....cover front apron or add a skirt. If you have the skill to do it yourself, it would be almost zero cost.......also opportunity to add another texture.......what about using a faux animal skin or something velvety or linen or raw silk.
June 9, 2013 at 8:00AM     
priyadarshana
hi how about a carpet to match the colors of your wall hanging( orange and black or orange and dark brown) with prints of a zibra skin also you can hve throw pillows using similar colors but for the floral chair u may use a similar solid orange colour fabrc
June 9, 2013 at 8:12AM   
suzanne_m
cdrdesign, do you think a fabric like that could work. I found it at Joanne's Fabric:
https://www.joannefabrics.com/Search/Product.aspx?ID=28414&img=18087
June 9, 2013 at 8:25AM   
June 9, 2013 at 8:46AM   
CDR Design
I like the fabric!
June 9, 2013 at 8:58AM   
suzanne_m
How about the design? It has the same arms' shape as the sofa plus it is a recliner.
June 9, 2013 at 9:00AM   
CDR Design
a little too pink?
June 9, 2013 at 9:04AM   
suzanne_m
I did a photoshop. I agree, a little to pink and it does not work with the quilt.
June 9, 2013 at 9:10AM   
suzanne_m
Oops, I meant to post this image:
June 9, 2013 at 9:12AM   
CDR Design
I would look on West Elm. They have gorgeous chairs and numerous options for fabric. For example, this one in steel blue.
http://www.westelm.com/products/sweep-armchair-g030/?pkey=cchairs-ottomans&cm_src=chairs-ottomans||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-&cm_sp=CategorySwatch-_-chairs-ottomans-_-More
June 9, 2013 at 9:19AM   
jpp221
I love your dining set (and I am generally not a fan of colonial furniture--but in this room it looks really, really good).

The rug is not the problem--almost anything will work. The living room with three mismatched seating options makes the room look like a student dorm. The brown vinyl should die a fiery death.

You are right, hubby did no favours with your other chair, but it's not THAT bad, and assuming he's still good for days when there's heavy lifting, I wouldn't toss him out just yet.

The reading lamp is BEAUTIFUL. But it should shine down on someone reading, not onto a table surface. And the wall to the right of the fireplace is a big blank spot. I would move the lamp there.

And fill the hole in the wall with logs. It will look great.

In the longer term: build up the fireplace with proper pilasters and a mantle. It needs presence (nice fire screen, by the way--the shape is excellent, everything else is square and blocky and it softens the rigidity just right).
June 9, 2013 at 9:19AM   
jpp221
Ps I would make the rugs bigger. Especially the dining room -- it looks like people will get caught on the edge when they slide their chairs out and in again. And a bigger rug in the living area will make it seem far bigger.
June 9, 2013 at 9:23AM   
suzanne_m
defever, I wonder if the chair cdrdesign posted if the arms are high enough? I am not even sure about the one I posted. I think you said that you use them for reading and I assume you would need support for your arms. If you choose to buy new chairs, would you like them with higher arms?
June 9, 2013 at 9:30AM   
defever
jpp221, we're way ahead of you! To briefly recap, hubby is a keeper (most days); the floor lamp was moved because (1) it was way too bright by the chairs (wrong height?) and (2) its style fits better on the other side of the room closer to the colonial furniture; I'm actively painting the door to cover the hole in the wall; the fireplace is not finished; the brown vinyl most likely will die a fiery death -- this thread has turned into what to do about the chairs; both rugs are new, the living room rug is as big as it can be in this room. Now you are up to date. Thanks!
June 9, 2013 at 10:08AM     
defever
suzanne_m, you are correct about the chair cdr posted. However, I like the one you posted...just not crazy about the fabric.
June 9, 2013 at 10:10AM   
jpp221
Oh (not that you asked), in the longer term, think about a chandelier in the living space. They look GREAT in cathedral spaces. They show off the space but make it cozy by lowering the ceiling volume (psychologically). Avoid the temptation to hang it too high. It relates to the people below, not the ceiling above. Glad things are working out with hubby.
June 9, 2013 at 10:14AM   
CDR Design
West Elm has several options.....hope it fits your price......just showing one option. I like the shale blue color.
June 9, 2013 at 10:24AM   
defever
jpp221, I know many of you are going to cringe, but we chose to put a fan in the living room instead of a chandelier. It's all white so when you look up it's not overly obtrusive. It is extremely functional and that is more important than fashionable, in our book.
June 9, 2013 at 10:31AM     
defever
cdr, I will check out West Elm's site to see what they offer. Breakfast is over, so it's time for me to put another coat of paint on the cabinet doors.
June 9, 2013 at 10:32AM   
jpp221
I think a ceiling fan would be great (surprise!). I am channeling southern plantation. If you ever need to change it, keep that in mind, and again hang it LOW, into the space. It would look great, I think.
June 9, 2013 at 11:50AM   
defever
Here are the pictures I took this morning of the tall floor vase. Pardon the blue masking tape. I think the vase looks a bit squished in both locations. Your thoughts? And I tried to get a better picture of the rug's true color.
June 9, 2013 at 12:27PM     
defever
cdr, I like both Ashley chairs! I think either color would look great. Will show to hubby. Thank you!
June 9, 2013 at 12:48PM   
CDR Design
Good...now that I see that rug, I am even more convinced you should go with 2 blue-grey chairs and accent with pillows of red and gold.
June 9, 2013 at 1:01PM   
suzanne_m
Sorry for the foot rest, it was a lot easier for me to keep those even though they should not be there. Initially, I though that having solid color sofa with solid color chairs would be too much solid color but I find it is good and the gray is your best choice.

I think the vase looks good there maybe a bit closer to the fireplace. It has the perfect colors.
June 9, 2013 at 2:27PM   
CDR Design
Thanks, Suzannne photoshop lady. Let's hope husband likes and fath in law thinks chairs are participating. Exact colors are tough online, so maybe defever can check out in person. Some red and gold pillows will make it rock!
June 9, 2013 at 2:48PM   
suzanne_m
cdrdesign, defever said that her pillows always get on the floor, just like mine. In that case, should she have some red and gold ribbon on the lamp shades and vases in those colors? BTW what I do with my pillows is that I place them in a decorative way on the floor beside my fire place. Maybe defever could do the same?
June 9, 2013 at 2:54PM   
LB Interiors
I like the vase! It's a great size for either location. Maybe if at the fireplace, move it front of the door centered. Any one else think it might be okay there? with the curly branches. Do you have some poles or garden stakes, PVC piping, or branches from a tree, that you can put in it, to give us a better visual? If you move the chairs closer to the coffee table, It might work nice in the corner of the walls.
June 9, 2013 at 2:54PM   
LB Interiors
Here's a drawing with branches for the vase.

June 9, 2013 at 3:21PM   
CDR Design
I am sorry, defever asked me to join halfway through the post. I don't want to be a "Halfway Houzzer" (I just coined the phrase myself). You know what it is.

I would like to see some color on the chairs. You could get a thin afghan and put in under the cushion and let it hang out front or neatly tuck one over the chair arms and tuck the rest under the cushion.

I love the vase!!!! Let's get the chairs and get them arranged. Then we can play with the vase.
June 9, 2013 at 3:21PM   
LB Interiors
Just thought that you and hubby might like to see a visual for the vase, for it to be one of the building blocks for the room's design plan and your own vase in the space.
June 9, 2013 at 3:26PM   
CDR Design
Since I am late to the party......if you don't mind.......the molding and drywall was to cover up a hole? Did you consider placing matching molding on the other side for symmetry?
June 9, 2013 at 3:43PM   
defever
We like the Ashley chairs, but need to sit in them and see the actual color. Don't have anything handy to stick in the vase except a broom and floor mop (now wouldn't that be an interesting piece of art!), but can definitely picture some bamboo poles. Cdr, I know the look you are referring to. We are pretty much sold on replacing the floral chair; we just need to schedule another trip to the mainland. And suzanne_m, I hope you noticed that the hole in the wall has been replaced with a door and it and the surrounding trim work all now match the walls.
June 9, 2013 at 3:51PM     
LB Interiors
No, a mop wouldn't do at all .:)) .. I hope the vase pic gave you an idea how it would look when you get the branches.
June 9, 2013 at 3:54PM     
defever
Cdr, are you referring to a hole to the left of the fireplace? No, I guess we weren't thinking symmetry (we just wanted to finish the dang house!) The hole/door to the right of the fireplace is the access to the firewood box.
June 9, 2013 at 3:56PM   
CDR Design
Okay....I am referring to the right side. Yes, I thought that was a firebox. What I am suggesting is that you get a carpenter to trim out the left side so that it looks like the right side.

Sorry for being a Halfway Houzzer on this. I see that is was discussed before I joined the post.

Yes, you should sit in the chairs and see it you like them.
June 9, 2013 at 4:08PM   
defever
Hubby is the carpenter (we built the house); I'll mention to him about framing the left of the fireplace when it comes time to finish it. We just threw some trim boards up around the fireplace so it would look somewhat finished.
The Ashley steel chairs are 6" wider than the floral chair, but that should be ok. What it might mean is that I lose that corner area for either the floor vase or book case.
June 9, 2013 at 4:25PM   
suzanne_m
cdrdesign, we had suggested to defever to have the door and trim painted the same color as the wall to make it disappear. If defever were going to do the same trim on the other side, would you recommend that she paint the trim white on both sides just like she had it on the left side before she painted the whole thing?
June 9, 2013 at 4:55PM     
LB Interiors
I'll add something here. I would still like to see them disappear to some degree. I would paint them the wall color like the one she just finished. It's a smoother look for the entire wall.
June 9, 2013 at 5:25PM     
suzanne_m
I would think that if defever shop for solid color chairs she should look for recliners at the same time since they both spend time on those chairs for reading.
June 9, 2013 at 6:01PM   
CDR Design
Suzanne. Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking about the fp. I think it needs beefing up and could become the WOW focal point of the room. When you get lemons, make lemonade.

I would do this:

1) Add a mantle (could be very simple I keeping with the trim)
2) Add trimwork to left side as is on right side (to mimic firebox)
3) On top of the firebox, add a second trim area, half the width of the firebox, and up to the height of the fireplace trim (same on left side). So, basically, you have sort of like 2 steps.
4) Paint all the trim a different color
5) Fill in interior of trim areas with small tile (maybe something with some shimmer)

What do you think?
June 9, 2013 at 7:00PM   
defever
He he...this thread is becoming a runaway train! We are open to suggestions regarding the fireplace surround. In fact, I have already started an ideabook, but I need to warn you that the ideas are pretty tame and downright traditional! cdr, I am trying to picture your description. If I go half the width of the firebox and up to the height of the fireplace trim, then essentially I have 2 vertical trim boards. Did you mean to begin half the width of the firebox and go half the height of the fireplace trim? That would make steps. I do hope we'll have the fireplace done by Christmas. We can mock up the left side to see what we think when the time comes.
June 9, 2013 at 8:44PM   
defever
Suzanne_m, recliners would be wonderful, as long as they are wall huggers. Unfortunately, living on an island does not allow us to run to furniture stores after work, so we'll be looking at spending a day (or two) going from store to store, test sitting and making LOTS of notes, etc.
June 9, 2013 at 8:48PM     
Feng Shui Tips
From feng shui perspective, this area is too ying...the best is balance with vital colors. The blue is not the ideal color because it means water...and it is not too good water with fireplace.
The mirror over the fireplace has the reflect of one door, that is not the best.
June 9, 2013 at 8:52PM   
suzanne_m
Sorry defever, I don't know what wall huggers mean?
June 9, 2013 at 8:55PM   
LB Interiors
You can make a simple surround and add any type of embellishments that you prefer.
Mignon Road
Bayshores Drive
June 9, 2013 at 9:02PM   
suzanne_m
The idea is not complete but could defever start with making a fake fire box on to of the one she has already and do the same thing on the other side?
June 9, 2013 at 9:16PM   
suzanne_m
cdrdesign, this is how I interpreted your idea except in my attempt at photshop, the fake fire box on top of the other is full width as opposed as half-width and there would be a mantle to be added. I was not sure of the color you had in mind when you said the trim would be a different color.

The red tiles I chose is more shimmery that what it appears.
June 9, 2013 at 9:31PM   
LB Interiors
Of course she can, why?
June 9, 2013 at 9:31PM   
suzanne_m
Well, I think those tiles are too busy.
June 9, 2013 at 9:32PM   
LB Interiors
I believe the idea was to create a fake one on the left side of the firebox, not extending higher but an exact duplicate on the other side to balance it out.
June 9, 2013 at 9:34PM   
suzanne_m
LB Interiors, when I said if defever could start with a second fire box on top, I meant that would that be a good idea or she should eliminate that right off the bat? I am not sure because I am afraid that the fireplace would be too big.
June 9, 2013 at 9:34PM   
LB Interiors
I'm lost don't follow you, no need to explain., it's okay tho
June 9, 2013 at 9:37PM   
LB Interiors
All defever needs is a mantle above .... after she makes a fake wood hole on the left of the firebox. Then, she will know the total mantle width needed.
June 9, 2013 at 9:38PM   
suzanne_m
LB Interiors, yes you are right that the idea was to create a fake one on the left side just for symmetry, it is just that cdrdesign expanded that idea, so it kept me thinking.
June 9, 2013 at 9:38PM     
LB Interiors
'defever, I'm sorry but I still like the art switched, as you had it in the original photo. OOOPS not the original, when they were switched at one point. The scale seems amiss.
June 9, 2013 at 9:40PM   
suzanne_m
I played a bit with photshop to beef up the fireplace but after seeing it, I think defever should keep the fireplace simple and just add a fake fire box on the other side for symmetry and paint it the color of the wall just like the right side. Then add a mantle.

LB Interiors, when you say you still like the art switched do you mean to have the art above the fireplace? That art has always been between the two chairs, I moved it at one point with photoshop. Personally, I like the art above the fireplace and I also notice that shape of the orange part of the art duplicate the shape of the ceiling.
June 9, 2013 at 9:47PM   
LB Interiors
You're right, it was so long ago, someone tried that, guess it was you :)) I meant the orange one above the fireplace.
June 9, 2013 at 9:56PM   
LB Interiors
suzanne, firebox and mantle - I think that's what I said too.
June 9, 2013 at 10:08PM   
suzanne_m
In my comment above, I just repeated what you said before to support your idea. When I re-read my comment it didn't sound like that, sorry.

I think if defever can replace the current tiles for smaller ones around the fire place, it would look nice. What could be even better is if she adds trim above the fire place's hole so she will need to install only a small portion of tiles. I would probably choose lighter colored tiles.
June 9, 2013 at 10:23PM   
LB Interiors
'suzanne' I think too much, I think 'defever is done' and I am too. :)) I'll be waiting for an update to see what she shops.
June 9, 2013 at 10:36PM     
CDR Design
Suzanne, thanks for the photoshop. Yes, I meant what you drew, except the one on the top would be half the width of the one on the bottom. Hence, you would "step up". I think the top area, though, should be a smaller profile trim (the width of the trim board itself would not be as wide as the other trim boards).

Paint.....I would paint the trim a similar color to the current fireplace tiles. Then the added tiles could be as conservative or as crazy as defever wants.

I agree.....orange artwork (framed) is better on top of fireplace
June 10, 2013 at 3:22AM   
msubreeze
Not soft, but I like the way sisal mixes with other rugs. I have a friend who layers her rugs - sisal under oriental under animal skin. I wouldn't have come up with that but looked great. I think the rug in the sitting area could be bigger.
June 10, 2013 at 4:03AM   
CDR Design
Defever.....I am guessing this was addressed somewhere along the line, but I missed it. Sorry. Did you make a door for the firebox or did you just drywall it in? In other words, do you use the firebox?
June 10, 2013 at 4:22AM   
defever
Yes, we made a wood door and the box will be used occasionally. As I've previously stated, the fireplace is not finished. We added trim to make it look nicer than unfinished sheetrock while we worked on other items. This was our first (and hopefully last!) attempt at building a house. All in all, I think we did pretty good, but reading the above conversation makes me realize that we might have missed the boat on the design and/or scale of the fireplace. After the fact, I wish we had picked out a lighter, more neutral, tile, but for now, it is what it is! The newest rug helps to pull the room together. The picture is a design that caught our eye, but who knows what we'll ultimately end up with?
June 10, 2013 at 6:45AM     
defever
Suzanne_m, a wallhugger is a specially designed recliner that can be placed a couple inches from the wall and still recline, rather than having to be out a foot or so.
June 10, 2013 at 6:47AM     
CDR Design
Okay....so the fireplace surround is in plans for the future. I think the dark tile is fine......adds a richness to the room.

Looks to me like you did a fantastic job building a house!

I like the mantle above very much....simple lines, yet adds architectural interest.
June 10, 2013 at 7:02AM     
suzanne_m
defever, because I would like to give you more options when your shop for your new chairs, can you verify if you really could have room for a standard recliner. Mine is large and if I measure it completely extended plus extra space in front in case the feet go past the foot rest, I use 68 in. Do you have that space between the wall and your coffee table? My measurements were quite generous. The only thing that I would like you to be aware is that if one person is resting on the fully extended recliner that is close to the door, he/she would need to close the recliner a bit to let the other have access to the other recliner.
June 10, 2013 at 10:39AM   
LB Interiors
'defever' mantle is perfect. Happy chair shopping!
June 10, 2013 at 11:36AM     
defever
Suzanne_m, thank you for the measurements. Using your 68", I would have room for full extension BUT that would only leave 3" to the coffee table, which would not work. I can push the loveseat back by 3", so it appears that a regular recliner will not work for us. I had already noted the size of the foot stool for the Ashley chairs that were suggested and we'd have to get the tape measure out to see if it would work. I believe Lazy Boy makes the wall hugger recliner; or at least they used to.
June 10, 2013 at 12:29PM   
LB Interiors
Wall hugger recliners are the best! Also versatile if the chair moves to another room. Eliminates spacial problems.

A note: the only thing you would have to worry about with a longer reclining chair position is that it won't 'bump' the coffee table. It may be unlikely that anyone would be walking in front of that space while it's being used. So 3" misses the table and you'd have full use of the non-wall huggers anyway. If you don't find the wall hugger, measure the extension of the standard recliner.
June 10, 2013 at 12:50PM     
suzanne_m
I have that if you find a wall hugger recliner, it would be the best but like LB Interiros said 3 in. is plenty enough specially that with the 68 in. measurement I gave you I included 1 foot past the foot rest when the recliner is fully extended. If you don't find a wall hugger you like, I am confident that a standard recliner would fit fine in your space. The worst that can happen if you don't want to bother person that is relaxing in the fully extended recliner is that you just need to walk in front of the sofa to get to the other recliner.
June 10, 2013 at 1:32PM   
suzanne_m
Oops, I meant to say: I agree that if you find ...
June 10, 2013 at 1:33PM     
CDR Design
Lazy Boy makes many styles of wallhugger recliners.

Defever, 2 questions:

1) Do you definitely want recliners or are they just an option?
2) I would need to see more photos of your room, but would you consider placing your buffet on the wall behind your chairs. The chairs could go at a 45 degree angle (hubbie would like.)

The buffet here would be out of the way of traffic and would be seen more.
June 11, 2013 at 3:33AM   
defever
We tried placing the buffet against that wall when we first moved in. We placed our chairs in front of it. The room felt too scrunched and unbalanced so we moved the buffet to its current spot. Our hearts are not set on recliners. I think Suzanne_m suggested them as we do enjoy the foot rest.
June 11, 2013 at 6:23AM     
defever
cdr, I assumed you were thinking that the chairs would go in front of the buffet? I do access it so wouldn't want it buried.
June 11, 2013 at 6:32AM   
LB Interiors
If it were me, I'd choose recliners so as not to have such small or additional footrests. Takes up too much space. Too expensive maybe to get two chairs and matching ottomans? It would be a lot of furniture matching, four pieces. Don't think I'd like two ottomans (footrests) in a different fabric.
June 11, 2013 at 1:02PM     
Persian Crafts
Check these photos. The hand woven Tabriz rug on sale with free shipment. For more information and receiving our exclusive collection of Persian rug catalogs mail us at:
thepersiancrafts@gmail.com
June 12, 2013 at 10:02AM   
CDR Design
defever, I don't know exact measurements, so don't know if it would work, but here is what I am suggesting as far as buffet:

Place in center of the wall behind the chairs.
Place the chairs at 45 degree angle at ends of, yet in front of the buffet. So, your chairs would be in the position of the first picture you posted, but they would be moved forward, flanking the fireplace. The buffet would be a center backdrop and the drawers would be accessbile.

The area would be cozier. Instead of ottomans or recliners, you could by a round ottoman/coffee table

Then, if you ever buy a new couch, I would suggest an arced or "eyebrow" couch to go at the other end.
June 13, 2013 at 4:14AM   
defever
I like your ideas, cdr, but I really don't have a lot of space to work with. The total width of the house is only 20'. The dining room currently occupies 9', the loveseat and coffee table take up another 6 1/2', and you can do the math for the remainder of the space! I'd gain a few inches if I bought a rectangular coffee table rather than our round one, but not enough to make it worthwhile at this point in time. I think the buffet gets seen, used and appreciated more where it is, on a side wall, rather than behind our backs.
June 13, 2013 at 7:48AM     
CDR Design
You live there and know best how things work for you!
June 13, 2013 at 8:01AM     
defever
Thank you very much for your suggestions and help. I very much appreciate all your time.
June 13, 2013 at 5:13PM     
priyadarshana
hi the carpet design I suggested to you is in the the 3rd pic in my idea book but it shd be in orange and blk to match the colours of your orange and blk wall hanging
June 20, 2013 at 10:53AM   
defever
www.terricumming.com, all the legs of the furniture rest on the new rug. Think we have a plan/direction for the new chairs, but it'll be a little while before we can go shopping as we need to put some money in the bank first!
June 20, 2013 at 5:31PM     
Please help me with backsplash ideas - I'm stumped
We are getting ready to move into our condo, and need...
Help, I'm completely stumped!
I'm a black kind of person. My sectional is black leather,...
Help! Living room layout - I'm stumped.
My living room layout is causing me such grief. I now...
Do $$$$$$$do you think I'm pretty (please comment )
I think I'm pretty what do you think please comment...
Should I stain my cedar mantel and shelves and what color?
I posted this a couple of months ago and got some great...
Monticello Drive / V Fine Homes from
Monticello Drive / V Fine Homes from
Paint color for old kitchen cabinets to be used in framing studio?
In the next couple weeks I am going to start staining...
Need Help With New Family Room - Overwhelmed!!
Hi All! We just moved into our new home and pretty...