Landscaping help?
Danielle Lyn
We are having a bit of trouble picking what to plant...... I hate the plant that is in the second picture (the group of balls) and the bushes under the windows in the second picture look so bad! I hate the pine tree look though, Id rather have flowering bushes. Ideally we will have two potted plants outside of the arch way and remove the bush that is there. The door color will be black soon also so really any color out here would be good! Suggestions for colorful plants to replace the ugly bushes?
HERE Design and Architecture
Azaleas and Rhododendrons?
May 4, 2013 at 11:48am     
Interiors International, Inc.
Look for flowering plants with good looking foliage that bloom at different times of year. You need color to soften the look.
May 4, 2013 at 11:55am     
How about some beautiful blue Hydrageas?
May 4, 2013 at 12:25pm     
Jayme H.
Varieties of ornamental grasses add color, texture, height, etc..Also a few flowering perrenials would look great there..coneflower is one.
May 4, 2013 at 12:27pm   
Danielle Lyn
What plant would you suggest to replace that ugly ball plant? A flowering tree? I desperately want the two potted plants to have hibiscus trees in them and move them in in the winter!
May 4, 2013 at 12:36pm   
Jayme H.
I would put something with vertical height..don't know your area..where r u located? There are some flowering dogwoods...Reblooming hydrangea is one I just read about...need to find something for your area and type of sunlight (shade, sun, part sun, etc)...Something taller in middle then taper heights down as u go forward...you also could put some hostas in there if not full sun.
May 4, 2013 at 12:43pm     
Jayme H.
I moved my hibiscus in and it bloomed on and off all winter and has a ton of new growth on it.
May 4, 2013 at 12:43pm   
Danielle Lyn
It is facing directly north we are in Michigan. Diff full sun where the ugly ball bush type things are lol
May 4, 2013 at 12:45pm   
Danielle Lyn
Jamie for the grasses would you suggest them on the walk way? We got some hostas today :) and the realized we have no idea what we are doing!
May 4, 2013 at 12:47pm   
Jayme H.
Hosta like shade/part shade or they burn and don't do well...Put them in at least part shade...grasses can spread so make sure u get one that isn't invasive..the tags on the plants usually say..full sun, part sun, shade, etc...Hostas would look good next to house in last pic if u have shade there..also grasses would work well there and both types could fill in nicely.
May 4, 2013 at 12:52pm   
Danielle Lyn
Maybe the first plant could be transplanted to get rid of the balls!? Idk
May 4, 2013 at 1:00pm   
Jayme H.
Google Barberry bushes...they add some color and height-make sure to check variety for height and spread...You don't want a 12 ft by 12 ft bush there.
May 4, 2013 at 1:01pm   
Danielle Lyn
Jamie that is what we are thinking hostas under the window? Maybe with something a little taller directly under the window and hostas in front? It's about 8 feet from the end of the mulch to the house
May 4, 2013 at 1:03pm   
Jayme H.
If u mean hostas under front windows? I think those would work fine...You could put a row of perennials behind those or stagger a few taller ones inbetween. Pic is a barberry..some are more columnar...(For front) or any columnar type shrub..that doesn't get much taller than 4-5 feet or it will be too tall.
May 4, 2013 at 1:11pm   
Jayme H.
Pic of hostas with taller plants behind...You wouldn't have to use evergreens..
May 4, 2013 at 1:16pm   
studio10001
Good idea, Danielle. Your house has enough mass to handle two to three types of plants. Something w four season interest should be added, like american dwarf cranberry, or azaleas as mentioned above. You soon empty round is a perfect spot for a speciman tree. Again, four season interest is better, so look for something that has peeling bark, (birch) or interesting bare branches (Harry Lauder). Your local nurseryman can steer you to the best choices.
May 4, 2013 at 1:16pm   
Jayme H.
Take your plants in containers and set them on the spot where u want to put them...do this with all of them..taller and shorter...stand back and look at them from different angles to see how they look, move around as needed..read labels to see how wide/tall they will get and allow for this when u plant. Ie: leave spaces between the hostas they will spread out some...The larger sizes u buy, the less time it will take to fill in. While u wait for plants to grow..u can fill in spaces with annuals in pots and /or in the ground.
May 4, 2013 at 1:18pm   
CDR Design
Danielle, I am not a plant expert, but I have some thoughts:

-love the rocks. Keep them and add more.
-boxwoods under front windows
-midsized tree at corner of house to anchor. Suggest Japanese Maple or Dogwood. Hostas underneath it.
-bye bye ball bush. Instead, azaleas and low grasses. Plant in groups of 3 or five.
May 4, 2013 at 1:19pm     
Danielle Lyn
Jamie I like those taller plants!
May 4, 2013 at 1:25pm   
Jayme H.
One of the reasons I mentioned dogwood is that some varieties get like this in fall and are pretty to look at.
May 4, 2013 at 1:25pm   
studio10001
red twig. very nice
May 4, 2013 at 1:26pm     
Danielle Lyn
Cdrdesigns hello again :) we have a larger tree on the end there so ideally I would put hostas around that but tht is too much sun so it's gonna have to be the grasses
May 4, 2013 at 1:27pm   
Danielle Lyn
Your good at this Jamie I'm loving all of your ideas! Any thoughts on where to move this? They put it in such a random spot! and Azaleas to replace the balls got it lol
May 4, 2013 at 1:30pm   
Jayme H.
Yes, red twigs..awesome ..people comment upon them as everything else ends up brown and dead. @Danielle Lyn...that taller one is a barberry.
May 4, 2013 at 1:40pm   
Jayme H.
@Danielle Lyn..do u know what type that one is? The one u want to move?
May 4, 2013 at 1:44pm   
Danielle Lyn
Barberry got it! :) no idea what it is..... We just moved in almost a month ago
May 4, 2013 at 1:47pm   
CDR Design
Oh, that is great placement for the tree. I looks like a redbud.....actually gets purple flowers, but it is called a redbud.

The coneflowers Jamie posted are great. We had them when we lived in Cleveland. Also available in gold and brown.

Burning Bushes are great and I believe they come in dwarf. They have year round interest with a gorgeous fall colors.
May 4, 2013 at 1:51pm   
Chrissy McCleery
4 window boxes painted same color as door. Place yellow flowers with trailing vines. Remove 4 bushes next to light post. Replace with same yellow flowers around post. Place yellow hibiscus tree next to front door
May 4, 2013 at 2:29pm   
Danielle Lyn
Thanks for all the posts I feel like I now know where to start! I was so overwhelmed at first
May 4, 2013 at 3:34pm     
drdotts
I think that a dwarf Japanese maple where the four ball bushes are located would look nice and add color. They aren't too tall that it would overrun the front of the house. Also I would add boxwoods or something with more height under the window. Did you think about changing the color of the door to make the front stand out more also?
May 4, 2013 at 3:35pm   
Jayme H.
@Danielle..research will be your best friend..Drive around and look at other homes to see what u think looks good...take a pic of plants/shrubs u like....take to garden center with u...Also..keep in mind some plantings are higher maintenance than others....more upkeep...more messy, spread, etc. Ask questions and experiment, google things...Good luck & happy planting!!
May 4, 2013 at 3:42pm   
lfornino
What about knock out roses mixed in?
May 4, 2013 at 3:45pm   
Jayme H.
Oriental peonies are very pretty too...I could go on and on and on...but I am out digging and planting a lot..
May 4, 2013 at 3:49pm   
Ginkgo Leaf Studio
Some of the shrubs mentioned are good suggestions while you should be careful about barberry and burning bush as they are considered borderline invasive here in Wisconsin. Ornamental grasses would add winter interest to your Michigan landscape. Rather than additional random suggestions on which plants you should use, I'd really recommend you hire a landscape designer in your area to create a design for you. If you keep buying a few perennials here and a few shrubs there, you'll likely not be happy with the result. A well thought out design will take into consideration the varying light conditions in your yard. More importantly, a good designer will consider grouping and mixing plants based on their form, foliage texture, foliage color, flower color, bloom time and fall/winter interest. There are still other factors like balancing the right amount of woody plants vs herbaceous and deciduous vs evergreen. When you really think about all the factors that go into a great looking landscape, it is really worth the investment to pay for a landscape design which in the end is an investment in your property. (If you are going to get azaleas, make sure you look for cultivars from the 'Lights Series', they were bred in Minnesota so they should be hardy for you in Michigan)
May 4, 2013 at 4:51pm   
Jayme H.
Totally agree with some pro advise, but you already have a developed landscape thus the need for a landscape designer is prob. not necessary IMO. If u want to tear things up and start anew...YES. You really only need a few things here and there. Therefore, as before mentioned...I would check out the local garden centers and go forward.
May 4, 2013 at 5:46pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
Current landscape looks more like a realtor job IMO. I think professional assistance is a great idea.
May 4, 2013 at 6:02pm     
Ginkgo Leaf Studio
We do designs all the time that work around existing plant material. A designer would also make sure the right number of plants were being proposed for a given area and that they were spaced properly, even around existing plants.
May 4, 2013 at 6:21pm     
Danielle Lyn
Drdotts I love Japanese maples! The door color is being changed as soon and I pick a color.....which is causing me trouble! We thought about black but then thought it would be to harsh so now we don't know lol
May 5, 2013 at 4:14am     
Danielle Lyn
Ifornino we l found knock out roses yesterday they were like little trees?
May 5, 2013 at 4:15am   
Danielle Lyn
Thanks @ Jamie I will just start researching I have gotten a lot of great suggestions and with the suggestions I have found a ton of flowers I like
May 5, 2013 at 4:17am     
Danielle Lyn
Ginco leaf studio as much as I would love to hire Someone I'm on a very very tight budget. I'm willing to do the research like Jamie said because its the only option I have
May 5, 2013 at 4:19am     
CDR Design
Danielle:

Landscaping:

major things to consider that people often don't

-full growth of plant (allow for expansion for future growth)
-year round interest (right mix so that it still looks good in winter)

More plants that look good and are easy:

knokout roses
lavender
catmint

Door:

I agree the salmon does not look good. Instead of black, I would paint a deep expresso, which would go well with your taupe brick and your intererior.
May 5, 2013 at 4:38am     
Danielle Lyn
@cdrdesign- ohh deep espresso would be lovely!!!!!! like this? I may even paint the inside of the door that color.....maybe lol
and I hate the current color its horrid but I have too many little projects and making decisions is like pulling teeth lol! I just looked at catmint! I love it!!! We were at a garden center yesterday and they have knockout roses that looked like trees (which were sweet) is that what you mean?
May 5, 2013 at 4:55am     
CDR Design
Yes, that is the color I mean for the door. That salmon color is horrid and you have to consider that your outside theme should continue inside. That is a good thought about the expresso inside.

I didn't know about the knockout trees. Sounds interesting.

One thing about catmint: make sure you trim it down a couple of times a year or it gets leggy. Also, it attracts bumblebees, so don't plant it near a door or a patio......very easy to grow, though.
May 5, 2013 at 5:02am     
Danielle Lyn
I think under the windows we are going to do hostas in front and azalea's as the taller part in back, I think... I would like to use that catmint under the tree but I think i need to figure out where else to use it first
May 5, 2013 at 5:04am   
Danielle Lyn
or the boxwoods instead of the azaleas i know people keep mentioning those, i just love the azalea's lol
May 5, 2013 at 5:05am   
Danielle Lyn
got it not near the door lol Im trying to choose something that will look nice into the winter for under those windows and I dont think azaleas are going to cut it.....
May 5, 2013 at 5:18am   
CDR Design
In front of the window: here is the thing....boxwoods are evergreens (leaves stay one year round). Azaleas lose their leaves in the fall. In front of the window, you want it to look grounded....see what I mean.....something to anchor the foundation. That is why you need something like boxwood there.

A great spot for your azaleas is where the weird ball bush is now.
May 5, 2013 at 5:18am   
Danielle Lyn
I choose the lower grasses to be Japanese sweet flag as long as i can find it. They apparently will look good even in the winter hopefully, thoughts?
May 5, 2013 at 5:38am   
Danielle Lyn
I know but I hate evergreens!!!!! I know I live in the wrong place.........Im guessing that is what we will end up with but just taller ones than what is there now....
May 5, 2013 at 5:39am   
CDR Design
Boxwoods are not like normal evergreens. They have leaves like deciduous plants, but leaves stay on year round. You don't have to trim,,,,,,you can let them grow naturally.

Consider boomerang lilacs for backyard. They are dwarf and bloom twice a year....wonderful fragrance and attract butterflies.
May 5, 2013 at 5:45am   
Danielle Lyn
I love boomerang lilacs! I wanted them in the front yard but even dwarf I think they will be too tall OK :) we will go look at boxwoods today I really liked the burning bush idea too for under the windows but boxwoods would probably be better in the winter
May 5, 2013 at 6:03am   
Danielle Lyn
http://www.amazon.com/Pre-potted-Boxwood-Artificial-Topiary-Plastic/dp/B000XPZ2NM I like these for by the front door soo much! they are sweet!!!
May 5, 2013 at 6:06am   
Danielle Lyn
but not fake lol
May 5, 2013 at 6:07am   
Danielle Lyn
I like these for under the windows too, I don't know if they would work but they are interesting! I have no idea what it is but it's evergreen like still too
May 5, 2013 at 6:10am   
Danielle Lyn
dwarf english boxwoods are kind of a cool color I just saw them at lowes, the nursery isnt open yet so i figured id look at some of the box stores
May 5, 2013 at 6:14am   
CDR Design
nice topiaries. You could put them in nicer planters to make them look even better and give more height. Boomerang lilacs.....yes, that is what I said.....backyard.

Don't know what that evergreen is, but I would get something greener to go against your muted siding. Maybe use them somewhere else in yard.
May 5, 2013 at 6:16am   
Danielle Lyn
I took a picture of that tree to show someone at the nursery maybe they knew what kind of tree/bush/shrub it is? It needs trimmed but since i dont know what kind of bush/tree is it is, I dont know how to trim it lol but I still think it may be interesting under those windows? maybe?
May 5, 2013 at 6:16am   
Danielle Lyn
I agree it looks to washed out next too that very dull siding!
May 5, 2013 at 6:24am   
Danielle Lyn
I still like the idea of the burning bush under the windows because in the fall they are so pretty!!! but Im sure in the winter they are not........but I do like the english boxwoods I just saw as well. They are green with white on the outsides of the leaves
May 5, 2013 at 6:31am   
Danielle Lyn
oh now i cant make up my mind....burning bush or boxwoods.......im never gonna leave this store lol! would it look stupid to do two boxwoods and one burning in the middle....I know you said plant in three or five so that doesnt follow that rule!!!
May 5, 2013 at 6:37am   
Jayme H.
Another plant I LOVE is Russian Sage...So pretty, low maintenance, smells great...I use cuttings from it for inside..and from many of my other plants too.
May 5, 2013 at 6:38am   
Jayme H.
Pic
May 5, 2013 at 6:40am   
Danielle Lyn
@Jayme, I totally just found that! like im standing over it this minute......I want it.....I dont know where to put it but I want it
May 5, 2013 at 6:42am     
Jayme H.
Up in frozen ND we need bullet proof ornamental shrubs...I have used spireas often..Goldflame turn red in fall...very pretty..and the Princess get white flowers...they can be shaped nicely..
May 5, 2013 at 6:43am   
Jayme H.
@Danielle Lynn,...I used it on one of the front corners/flower bed on our house...It is about 3.5 feet tall...It is striking.
May 5, 2013 at 6:45am   
Jayme H.
I like spirals too...not a bunch ..just one for interest
May 5, 2013 at 6:48am   
Danielle Lyn
i love those spirals!!! I want them so badly for around Christmas time, in a planter with little evergreens around them! well I want two one for each side of the archway! they are so cool!!! As for the Russian sage, I think I will follow your advice and find a spot for it! I really like them!!
May 5, 2013 at 7:08am     
Danielle Lyn
Jayme would it be possible to put the russian sage behind the hostas under the windows......I like those a lot too...... Im looking at boxwoods as well still but maybe i could do them mixed in with the boxwoods or would that look bad?
May 5, 2013 at 7:14am   
CDR Design
Great ideas, Jayme! Daniel, plant in odd numbers unless you are flanking a door, like your topiary.
May 5, 2013 at 7:16am     
Jayme H.
I would put it on the outside corner of the house, if I planted it behind the boxwoods
May 5, 2013 at 7:18am   
Danielle Lyn
ok that helps! Odd numbers, this planing stuff out before I went is not working lol! now im finding a lot of different things I like!!!
May 5, 2013 at 7:18am   
CDR Design
It would be a good idea to draw out how you want your beds. Then, you could bring your plan to a garden center and they can help you pick out appropriate plants (not a big box store).
May 5, 2013 at 7:48am     
Jayme H.
the Sage will add some color...
May 5, 2013 at 8:02am   
Jayme H.
You can identify plants/shrubs at the Garden Ct. and get SOME of them at the cheaper stores...(If they stand behind them in case of demise)...Our stores (Walmart, etc) carry some nice things and will take them back if they die.

I have picked up many spireas, boxwoods, honeysuckle, daylillies, coneflowers, mums and others at Walmart.

As a beginner, it is really a great idea to get the advise at the garden centers to avoid mistakes..but once u know what u want and what will work..why not get it cheaper?

I
May 5, 2013 at 8:07am   
Danielle Lyn
I drew out my bed before I left lol I want the Russian sage just haven't found a spot lol!
May 5, 2013 at 8:46am   
studio10001
Just a correction: azaleas are evergreen. Danielle, at the nursery, ask for a designer reference: it's free to call and get the cost of a 1/2-1hr. consult. It is good you are doing research and finding things you like, but a helping hand to tweak your ideas is going to save you a lot of money in wasted plant material from miscalculations of many sorts. The nursey may have someone on staff you could speak w immediately. It's more efficient than we can be w you here, and I am concerned when you mentioned your budget. I want to see your money spent frugally and to permanent effect as much as you do; a consult would not be counterintuitive in this instance.
May 5, 2013 at 9:10am     
Danielle Lyn
I got a designer reference at the nursery, they didn't have any boxwood that could be shade :( and they have some dogwoods that I like a lot but they are morning sun only..... So no luck! We have one more nursery to try though so
May 5, 2013 at 11:17am     
Jayme H.
Lots of shrubs could work there...ask them to recommend a few..u will find something perfect!!
May 5, 2013 at 2:33pm   
CDR Design
You are doing your research and asking the right questions. It will turn out great!
May 5, 2013 at 4:17pm     
Danielle Lyn
We got the European dogwoods :) and now we are going to go from there to fill in the rest
May 5, 2013 at 4:23pm     
Need landscape architect to help us with our landscape in St Croix.
The house sits on a hill. The lot (incl house) is .71...
HELP, Need help with landscape problem !
This old pool is 20 x 40. Right now Red eared slider...
Help help!!!! I have a backyard without any landscaping and am havin
I moved into a home with a totally natural yard a couple...
Help! I need help landscaping around pool
We have a really small backyard and I am going for...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
second floor patio flooring
Hi, I live in a second floor condo. It has a covered...
Question about subway tile
Can you use subway tile on bathroom floors?
color dilemma
Would paint color night train or tempest by Benjamin...
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...