What should I do with my living room
Melissa Valdez
I'm so confused
momof5x
I think there is too much dark furniture, but you could break it down by adding lighter items or changing around some things. Here is what I mean:

Living Room ( notice table, striped carpet and wall picture)

Indian Grove Family Room ( notice white and red items in dark cabinet)

Lindy Donnelly
May 4, 2013 at 1:31PM   
You have a lovely home that just needs a little help to make it look even better. Here's what I suggest:
1. Get rid of the items that are on top of the media center. The plate on a stand can be used elsewhere, but the faux plants cannot.
2. Replace your rug with a larger, more colorful one.
3. Repeat the rug colors in pillows on the sofa.
4. Sell the loveseat and replace it with one or two chairs, preferably in a solid color from the rug.
5. Move the console that is to the left of the media center to the wall to the left of the window. You have too many pieces of furniture lined up on the same wall.
6. Buy a large living plant, perhaps a ficus lyrata, to go in that corner by the window. Put it in a basket from Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel and water it weekly.
7. Remove the mirror from above the buffet and place a large piece of art there.
Eastern Colors Rug
Ficus Pandurata Bush in Deco Pot
May 4, 2013 at 1:34PM     
Chrissy McCleery
Melissa, it's really pretty..just a few minor things I would do...remove items on top of big piece..lower mirror
May 4, 2013 at 3:05PM   
soto01
I would put a large piece of artwork above the console table. The mirror with dark frame competes with the TV. I would also remove the other table closest to the widow -- just too much furniture. The key is to simplify.
February 4, 2014 at 8:52AM     
soto01
I would also remove that stuff from off the TV entertainment unit.....just too much.
February 4, 2014 at 8:53AM     
Sustainable Dwellings
I think the scale is way off. TV cabinet would fit in a space double the size you have.... I would clean it up and start with basics, then add in other pieces and art....
February 4, 2014 at 8:57AM     
Kerry Crosby, Ethan Allen Lexington
Your home is beautiful - but there are some minor changes that would help define the space as well as make it more inviting. One major point - what is your goal in the room? That is the main question that needs to be answered, Do you want more space? to lighten it up? etc...

Some suggestions- the room is a bit heavy on the TV wall - all of your casegoods are lined up there so that side of the room is weighed down. I would remove the smaller sofa table on the left and find another home for it (behind sofa or another wall)..

Add a larger rug - something where the feet of all the furniture touch. This will define the space better - and add some color in the rug - which will let you add color to pillows on the sofa and loveseat.

And the biggest thing would be to add window treatments - panels that go almost to the ceiling. That will draw your eye up in the room and help to balance the larger entertainment system. And definitely pull some color from the rug to windows to help brighten it up and give you more visual interest.

Hopefully any of the ideas on here will help!
_Kerry Crosby
Ethan Allen Interiors
February 4, 2014 at 9:05AM     
Melissa, in the many months since she first posted this dilemma in May, 2013, has not chosen to reply to any of our suggestions. I suggest we all call it quits and spend our time responding to someone who is more interested in our ideas.
February 4, 2014 at 5:30PM     
soto01
Thanks Carolyn for pointing that out. Several Houzzers have pointed out that we are responding to old out-dated posts. I am new to the Houzz family, and I just assumed they were all new. I agree -- let's move on......
February 5, 2014 at 3:32AM     
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Help with master bedroom
We have a fairly large master bedroom with new spa...
Which do you prefer gas or electric stoves?
We were just having a discussion the other day with...
Need help redesigning this blue bathroom
Please help suggest how we can give this bathroom a...
Car port area needs facelift!
We live in an older ranch style home...our car port...