Please help me create a cohesive design in my lackluster living room
lpvinyl21
I recently moved into a new house and I'm truly at a lost on how to make my lackluster living room look pulled together and have a more cohesive welcoming feel (its pretty much the opposite of that now). I just purchased a new sofa today (pic below) and now I'm looking to get a rug and new armchairs but just dont know which direction to go in.

I would love to add some color and I know painting would be the easiest way to do that but we are renting and have confirm we cannot paint, although we are going to take down the vertical blinds and install curtains.

We are on a very tight budget and so I have been looking at places like Ikea, Overstock and likes for some budget friendly options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, (please excuse the mess in the pic I took them only a few days after unpacking)!
2dogssashatess
You need some art on the walls, a large rug, som interesing cushions to put on your new couch and the armchairs
2 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 5:33PM
lpvinyl21
Yes I do! I hope to get some art and hang pictures once I get the big pieces in place, like the rug and chairs and pillows.
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 5:35PM
collettec
If you're looking to save money is keeping the chairs an option? They look like they might work with the new sofa.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 5:42PM
lpvinyl21
I guess I should also have added that I want to go in more contemporary direction with maybe a geometric rug and chairs with cleans lines. My husband really wants a recliner but and I thought the one pictured below might work since its not so bulky
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 5:46PM
lpvinyl21
Sorry for the double post, on my phone and cant figure out how to edit my last post.

collettec, I actually do think my current chairs would look ok with the new sofa. However since I want a room that has a lighter/brighter feel I thought the brown color was a bit to heavy. If there is a way for me to get that same look with the darker armchairs I would love to keep them as they are in decent shape and very kid friendly.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 6:10PM
collettec
I like the rug and the chair that you posted above, think it will go well with the couch. Don't really like the parsons table as much with everything else. Perhaps something a little more substantial, and perhaps in a wood. For drapes possibly a cotton, linen or blend of either in the base shade of your rug choice I think would work well. Art above the console table and perhaps something larger scale, like decals or removable wallpaper for the other larger wall. An article on options for renters per that:
w.apartmenttherapy.com/temporary-removable-fussfree-p-138010
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 6:15PM
Marly
Ha, I had the same endtables in black. Sturdy little things, aren't they? Do you want to be able to separate them often? If not, consider this to make it one coherent coffee table. Attach flat brackets underneath the tables to make them one larger piece. Then, you can paint it / decorate it however you like, or attach 2x4s as if to make one long countertop for the table.

Painting the walls and adding curtains will make a world of difference when it comes to tying your room together.

Edit: Sorry, I had missed the part where it says you can't paint. However, you can paint large canvases or shoeboxes and hang them on the wall. You can paint them in one color or complementary tones. Hanging a large blanket or rug could also add a lot of color while still keeping the budget low.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 6:22PM
collettec
Sorry, think I'm intersecting your posts and posted mine before I saw your latest. Not sure if you were more interested in having a recliner per above, which is what I posted the last comments about re the recliner and rug choice you posted. Think that if you wanted to keep the darker original chairs, they could work, but think you would need to incorporate some darker colors, perhaps in a patterned rug, that has both dark and light, maybe something like a chevron or other geometric pattern. And also darker drapes as well and pillows for the couch. With color in the art, and other decor.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 6:27PM
lpvinyl21
@ collettec Thank you for the link, will check it out. The parsons table are temporary, I plan on replacing them with maybe a cocktail ottoman. After staying up way too late and looking for color inspirations online I decided for now I will keep the brown chairs and work toward the color palate below. I love the cool blues and greens mixed with the brown and tan. I am on the hunt now for a rug and then the curtains. I was thinking of maybe doing a gallery wall around the TV similar to the pic below but not sold on that idea yet, Marly's canvas idea is also a great one.

@Marly I do love those little tables and will save them for future use and I will keep your DIY ideas in mind. Also I love the idea of hanging painted canvases in my color scheme to add color to the room without needing to paint!
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 5:36AM
belleandlucy
Too much furniture.... the wall where the tv is paint as an accent color for a pop of color, next create built in wall unit with the tv screen in the middle of the unit , this eliminates the storage pieces on both walls, next flip the couch to the center of the room, a fun color rug with the accent walls colors incorporated, so you are viewing the tv place the couch where the white tables are, the fire place is the focal point of the room. A beautiful mirror over the fireplace would provide light and then place some candles on the mantle to reflect. Next where the wall unit is next to patio doors create another sitting area with two comfortable chairs and small table with lamp. Floor to ceiling drapes on the windows and patio doors.
1 Like   May 5, 2013 at 6:19AM
lpvinyl21
@ belleandlucy thank you for taking the time to comment. Because we are renting the we cannot paint the landlord is very strict about this rule. I already added a mirror over the fireplace (picture below). We dont have plans in replacing our other furniture at the moment but I do plan on moving the chairs side by side facing the TV with a small table in between them, which will open up the space a lot and make it look less crowded. I Will also style the bookcase and get some new lampshades for the lamps that is on top of it to tie in with my new color scheme, any ideas on that color lampshade I should get? .

@ collettec I'm thinking of getting either the ottoman or coffee table pictured below to replace the white parsons table. I'm leaning more towards the ottoman because I feel there is a lot of dark wood already between the TV Console, bookcase and my dinning set on the other side of the room, anyone have any thoughts on this?
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 10:33AM
amafixer
Love the mirror!
1 Like   May 5, 2013 at 10:54AM
collettec
I do like the ottoman. Like that it is midrange in shade and would be a matter of whether it fit in terms of size and height as well. Like the midrange blue and tan with the darker brown and the lighter color sofa if keeping the chairs as I think more the midrange colors would serve to tie it all together. The other consideration with the ottoman would be the rug. With the design on the ottoman, might want to go more solid in color or tone on tone color for the rug. I would keep that in the midrange shade of one of the colors as well. Would add some darker pillows to the sofa. As for the lampshades, one possibility would be something like the blue or tan from the ottoman and in a texture, perhaps something like a burlap or linen shade.
1 Like   May 5, 2013 at 2:02PM
lpvinyl21
@ amafixerThank you!

@ collettec You are so right about the ottoman and the rug. I went and picked up the ottoman yesterday and while we where out I stopped by homegoods and I luckily found a rug that had all the colors from my color palate that both my husband and I really like. Although its a bit on the traditional side like how it looks in the space. I also love the fact if I decide to swap out the brown chairs at a later date I would have no issues finding something that would work with this rug. However the ottoman looked horrible paired with it. So I decided to return the ottoman since I wasn't crazy about the fabric in person, but I found another ottoman I like better (pic below), do you think it would work in the space? If not I think I will go with the wood table I was posted earlier.

So now that I have the rug I feel like I can move on to looking for some pillows and curtains. I agree with you about having some darker pillows on the sofa. I think I will go with 4 pillows on the sofa, 2 dark plain brown ones and 2 with a pattern that has the blue in it in addition to 2 lumbar pillows on the arm chairs that has both blue and brown in it.

I'm just on the fence about whether I get brown or taupe/linen colored curtains.

I also got some linen shades for the lamp and I love how they look!
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 10:24AM
lpvinyl21
A close up of the rug and some pillows I was considering.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 10:28AM
InteriorDesignToGo.com
Congrats on your new home! Since painting the walls is not an option I would suggest that you turn that into a positive and work with a neutral and white color scheme. You have great floors, so that is a huge plus. Use the 2 white tables next to each other as a coffee table. Are the lounge chairs black? I would use a black low pile rug, simple contemporary. If you can't find one you can have broadloom/carpet from a flooring store cut to the exact size you want and bound on the edges. This is usually very inexpensive if you select an inexpensive carpet. I would make sure it is large enough to go under the front legs of the sofa and the chairs to connect the furnishings. Oversized simple art with simple black frames, what about Matisse prints? The prints could be smaller with very oversized white mats. I think you have the makings for a very simple, classic, contemporary room. Keep it simple and tasteful. You have great pieces for this already, your sofa, chairs, credenza and lamp. I see that you have a pair of white lamps, change the shades to black. I would not add the printed pillows and the patterned rug. I would use white and or black pillows in a fabric that has a touchable luxurious feel. Simple sleek and elegant would be a great direction to go in. The mirror you have over the fireplace is perfect!
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 10:46AM
collettec
With your new rug, I think the wood table might work welI. The ottoman might work as well - it would be a matter of checking to see if the colors quite match with the colors in the rug and if the height works with the other furniture. I think I would consider a taupe or darker linen for the drapes rather than the brown. I like your rug and new shade and like your pillow choices too.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 1:37PM
lpvinyl21
@ InteriorDesignToGo.com Thank you for your comment.

@collettec So sorry I took so long to reply, life just got sooo busy for me the last 3 weeks. I actually decided to change the rug, I really liked it but I realize it was just not what I wanted after living with it for a few days. Anyway here is what the room looks like now. Its still not finish, I need to add some sort of art on the TV wall and I want to get 2 faux sheepskin throw from Ikea to drape over the brown storage ottomans against the window and some other little things but for now I am happy with how far the room has come. Thank you for all your input and ideas :)
4 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 7:53PM
collettec
You're welcome! You made good choices all the way around - it's looking great!
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 8:14PM
lpvinyl21
Thank you Collettec!

@Cheery thank you for the link, but I plan on keeping the curtains I have but adding some bamboo blinds (like the pic attached) to add some texture.
1 Like   May 28, 2013 at 2:26PM
Shakúff
What an upgrade! I'm a huge fan of your style It's very cozy :)
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 7:21AM
Excellent work, lpvinyl. I'm going to make one tiny suggestion: I think the TV console needs to be centered in the space between the end of the sofa arm and the window wall. IOW, just move it to the left a few inches. Then you might find the vase with the branches will look better on the floor on the right. I think the wall will look more balanced that way.

Everything else is perfect!
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 7:59AM
Just noticed this post is almost a year old. Hate when that happens.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 7:59AM
Infinity Wall Art
That's a lovely floor! You might be able to do something interesting with the open walls using a wall art sticker, that you could stick on and remove whenever you want. I'm sure you can find one to your liking by checking out the extensive range of designs on our website at: http://www.infinitywallart.com/wallstickers
0 Likes   October 1, 2014 at 3:26AM
Living room design SOS--please help me create a cohesive room!
Hi Houzzers! We recently purchased our first home--a...
kerrytony
Please help me design my living/sitting room!
This is my main floor living / sitting room. I have...
elham1361
Please help me design my living room?
We are in the middle of a home remodel and I'm trying...
Ashley Harriel
This is my main floor living / sitting room. It measures...
maisiekl
Please help me design my small living room
I've just moved to my new apartment and the layout...
Anna Palacio
rredpenn
Custom Kitchen
My home was just finished recently and would like to...
Ashley Reppond
Monster of a Fireplace...I've never seen anything like it!
Ugh. I don't know what to do with this fireplace that...
jcomama
Wall tiling and floor tiling ...
Which tiling come first if a room has both wall and...
Benjamin Byamukama
Help for my Kitchen
Hi, My husband and I have recently renovated our...
anasuyah