Need help with window treatments for my livingroom.

CyndiMay 5, 2013
The room faces east, so a lot of morning sun. Privacy is not a issue.
Cyndi
Have added a couple more photos, one is the living room carpet one is the dinning room. The windows are all 6 feet wide.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 12:09AM
Your room has been decorated in fairly dark colours and there is a lot going on in the room.
For your window treatment I would therefore advise going as simple as possible

If you want to block out light in the morning, then use some sort of "roll up" panel: bamboo stick blinds, roman blinds, or even a long roller blind that extends the length of your window (but doesn't go up the ceiling).

I am concerned that if you place curtains from the ceiling down, you will visually lower your room which looks a bit bottom heavy right now.
All the best
1 Like    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 12:25AM
Cyndi
I agree the one chair and half round tale are going, I have to keep the sofa as we just bought it? Might have been a mistake. I was thinking roman blinds but boy sure on colour, was thinking something to match hardwood or a olive green. The green in dinning rug I like? What do you think?
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 12:40AM
Cyndi
Also any suggestions on how to make this space not look so dark and bottom heavy.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 12:43AM
Is your sofa the new light coloured one (I don't think it features fully in your photos). However, that is already a start. One tip I offer to clients is to take a photo of the room and then turn it to black and white. Where there are large expanses of dark, you need to add light, and vice versa to break up the room visually.

For your roman blinds, whatever colour you use make it pale. However, if you are going to change out and lighten your room with colour - hold back on the blinds just for now. Otherwise you risk going the other direction and making the room all too light!

If you can show me what you are keeping/like and what you are getting rid of, then we know what we can work with.
All the best
Antoinette
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 1:18AM
Alison Decoracion.
You have 3 large windows all on one wall so what ever you do it should be simple but eyecatching as that wall atracts visual interest. It is dificult to see the actual tecnical detail from a photo - if they are patio doors and and open out or in , if you have blinds ect these details do make a difference when choosing a window treatment. I would treat the 3 windows as one space , one possibility could be soft roman blinds made in a linen type textil in a natural cream color either plain with a little texture o some kind of vertical stripe in a slightly darked cream or light coffee tone, if you want to bring a bit of colour into the room you cold make double soft roman blinds one in a cream tone and the second one in a contrasting color , burnt orange dark red o olive green and make some compliments like cushion in the same textil that would give a bit of color to the room. Another posibility is to make a sliding panel , here there are varios posibilities make all the panels in the same color , combine 2 colores or combine plain colored paneles with paneles that have a central embroidered design.These are only some of the optiones I have included some photos If you would like to look at an idea in more detail I would be happy to help you.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 1:38AM
hbsew
On a wall of windows like you have, floor to ceiling drapes can look good, but they need to be substantial. Use a heavier weight fabric with a lot more fullness, and when they are open they should rest between the windows and in the corners. I also feel that the whiteness of the blinds is distracting. I would go with a color that blends better with the wall and rugs.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 3:46AM
Pamela W. interiors
Depending on your budget , of course... the dirty word...If you install single panels at ea. wall section from floor to ceiling ( they should be lined panels) you will fool the eye into feeling there is one large expance of windows. The rods to hang these panels need only be as wide as the panels themselves. This will help in the budget and also take care of an unsightly install showing a large rod completely across the room. Order some extra panels and sew all or part of the same fabric ( or its conpanion) into pillows, upholstery, etc. This will give you a custom look without killing the budget on custom workroom costs.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 5:47AM
Cyndi
Thanks everyone, still processing it all. This is whatI had before and thought I needed it lighter in the room so took the rust drapes out, we added a wall to all drape rod and were going to hang sheers, but they look funny all by themselves. We will keep the sofa and dark brown chair. I also have a black leather sofa and love seat that we replaced with the sectional as it is so much more comfortable. Can take out or add whatever is the best possibility for the room, within reason. :)
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 3:12PM
Cyndi
Correction we add the wall to wall drapery rod and moved it to the ceiling?
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 3:14PM
So basically you are keeping your sofas. This is the dark block that needs to be broken up. Add cream or light coloured cushions and a cream throw to break up the dark. I feel roman blinds, or drapes in a light satin sheen that reflect light would work best.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 3:40PM
Cyndi
I think roman blinds would be good as well. Should I do them
In a green or rust something to give some color. Or just light tan with a sheen? Did you see the rust curtains I had before? I liked the colour but felt they were to dark.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 3:57PM
Cyndi
Sorry forgot to confirm, yes to the chocolate brown sofa, will add cream to lighten it up. I do also have a hunter green leather sofa and love seat which could be brought into room but I thought the colour was dated.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 3:59PM
solraven
You're room is dark, but it also feels very comfy cozy. I like the brown curtain over the lace ones. The lace ones seem out of place. To lighten up the room, I would go w/ ivory curtains made of a heavier material like canvas, or sail cloth, but the room can handle substantial drapes.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 4:19PM
solraven
To lighten up the rest of the room, I would remove the extra chair and half-moon table, as you're planning. I would also remove the quilt rack. An ivory throw would look better on the dark sofa, instead of next to it. Plus... when I look at it, my pinky toe starts to hurt. :) Taking these few items out, will make the room feel lighter right away. I would use a full length table runner, once again in ivory, with looks great against the dark wood. For the chairs, I would use slip covers that just cover up the dark seats.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 4:32PM
Cyndi
Solraven did you see the rust drapes and if so would cream drapes look good in this weight of fabric. Should I lower curtain rod?
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:48PM
Cyndi
Should I just recover the seat pads in a light cream textured fabric?
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:50PM
solraven
Yes, I saw the rust drapes. I like the weight of those drapes over the lace ones, but in an ivory or cream color. You did the right thing by raising them up closer to the ceiling. As for the seat pads, recovering them would be great. It looks like a new set, so I would try to work with the dark furniture and use it to accessorize with a creamy ivory.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 10:12PM
Cyndi
I will make some changes and repost. If I'm still not happy I may go with roman shades. Wish me luck, and thanks to all for your help.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 10:51PM
solraven
Good luck!! :)
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 10:52PM
Cyndi
Here are some after photos. I think I still need some colour?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 7:31PM
deasej
Have you considered shutters? I would think white 3 inch plantation shutters could also lighten the room's feeling.
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:20PM
Cyndi
I have ordered roman blinds in a textured neutral, I was thinking of painting the opening above the fireplace a accent color and maybe adding pillows or some accessories of some sort?

Any ideas for colour or accessories.
    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:33AM
Alison Decoracion.
You could do various things , if you want to keep the general feeling of the nuetrals you could paint the space above the fireplace a warm coffee colour and then put cushions and throws in different cream and coffee colours
or if you feel like some colour paint the space above the fireplace a dark strawberry red colour and then add the cushions and throws in different tones from fusia to dark strawberry red.... make the cushions in different sizes and textiles with different textures that will also give interest to the living room.
Another thing you could do is look for the simulater programs a lot of the paint companies have on their webs there you can upload a photogragh of the fire place and try out different colours .
1 Like    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 11:12AM
dsimber
I like the changes you have made thus far. I am working on similar problems in my family room which also has white millwork including the fireplace surround. My case goods are mostly dark. Very pleased with having lightened the intensity of my paint color, that would be my suggestion to you. Might you consider a color based on your new Roman shades?

I am most pleased with changes I have made to reduce my room to three colors. That meant taking other colors away, but the result is so relaxing. (I am able to use some of those pieces in other rooms, and some I am storing.) I now have neutral shades of tan and off-white. To that I added a range of greens in textiles, ceramics and house plants. It appears that you have green in both area rugs, but instead of matching that green, find brighter shades that pop! and scatter them around the room. There are so many beautiful shades of green. One decorating advantage of having neutrals is that I (you) can easily switch out the accessories for a different look, such as variations of orange to rust in the fall. !f you celebrate Christmas or Hannukkah, then of course use your collection for accessories. And when you're ready for spring, whether or not it has actually arrived, bring in a spectrum of yellows!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 11:42AM
dsimber
I like the suggestion of a warm coffee color (Alson Decoracion.) I have used Cappuccino (from Restoration Hardware, I think) as well as shades one up and one down from that (Sherwin Williams shades 6141, 6142, and 6143.) It would be the color in between your off-whites and dark browns, and would result in a relaxing flow. [I've used poppy red in a scheme of primary colors, so I have nothing against red, and I loved it. But I do not think it would be a good contrast with your browns nor would it do anything for your area rug. To me, it would not be in keeping with the more natural look of the Roman shades you are adding. It would also limit the flexibility of changing your accessories when the mood strikes you.] Since you have already ordered the blinds, why not hang those, then try colors on several large foam boards and look at each at different times of the day and at night?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 12:41PM
Cyndi
Thanks everyone again. On trip to Holland won't be back till end of month. Will get on this when I get back.
    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:41PM
Double D
White shutters would look elegant and lighten up the room, and control the sun coming in.
    Bookmark   December 20, 2014 at 4:58AM
Long narrow livingroom. Please help me figure out what else I need in
I have a long narrow livingroom and am in need of some...
Deb C
My livingroom needs help! Bay windows opposite fireplace challence...
We bought a house with a big livingroom where we would...
krickelina
Need help with a space above the entrance to the livingroom
In a small appartment the opening form the hallway...
georgartemid
Need help completing our livingroom/fireplace area.
My wife and I recently moved into a condo, renovated,...
rfharmon
Mini Subway Tiles in stainless steel or white glass
Renovating my kitchen and deciding between mini subway...
Jennifer Tabije
PureBody Vitamins - Butt And Breast Growth Pills Used By Celebrities
Pure Body Vitamins is the only All-In-One beauty product...
abel1ba
Please help make my Master Bedroom beautiful!
Hi! I am trying to create a spa-like feel in my Master...
Karen Peters
curtain colors
I have pink and brown walls in my living room so what...
Tracy Smith
Does anyone have ideas to help give a log home a farmhouse feel?
We are building a new log cabin with an open floor...
betsyandted