Need help design ideas for Spanish cave house I have just purchased
nhiggott
Colours for the lounge , bedrooms, dining room, all rooms are white now, plus ideas 2 large terraces, I will be installing hot tub in one terrace, you can see the cave house on www.rusticim andalucia, it is on there for 49.000 euros code V1437,would appreciate any help.

Regards

Nick
carolins
this is the correct link: http://www.rusticom.co.uk/spanish_properties/more_information.php?CODIGO=v1437

Looks nice. Haven't thought about colour ideas for you yet, thought I'd post the correct link in case others want to chip in :-)
May 5, 2013 at 3:18am   
carolins
Since it will feel very cool in there, I'd put a somewhat warmer tone like a very soft terracotta or peach on some of the walls and keep the rest and the ceilings white. Investigate what's on the walls though. It looks like some sort of chalk and I'm not sure if 'ordinary' wallpaint will stick to that.

Lovely idyllic place. Really like the look of it. Those wall sconces are nice too. Congratulations!
May 5, 2013 at 3:26am   
Alison Decoracion.
Normally the houses in south of Spain are painted in side with white wash " temple" and out side " cal " which helps to reflect the sun keeps the heat out and lets the walls breath - it is a very warm part of Spain a good part of the year. White wash has the same effect it keeps the walls cool and lets them breath, you can colour white wash with paint dyes but you can really only get light pastel colours and sometimes it looks streaky . These houses are very special houses and if you use emulsion paints that seal up the walls you might find that they are warmer in summer or in any damp areas condensation might appear or with time the paint flakes off. I have lived in Spain for more than 30 years and have been going to south of Spain on holiday for years that cool feeling you get from the white walls in height of summer is wonderful, I think I would put colour in my furniture and accesories like rugs cushions pictures mirrors ect, colours like blues, lilacs and greens give you colour but they still on the whole keep that cool feeling which is wonderful when its 43 or 44 degrees celsius out side.
May 5, 2013 at 10:53am     
nhiggott
Thankyou for your advice, I will bear it in mind, Regards Nick
May 5, 2013 at 11:10am   
What a lovely home in a fabulous part of the world! I love the look of the white walls and the terra cotta floors, and after reading what Alison advises, I'd leave the walls white.

A quick trip to Morocco could score you some nice rugs and other accessories. With rugs like the ones shown below, you'd have instant color inspiration that could vary from room to room, always maintaining simple wood furniture with white cotton upholstery and bedding. Your color accents would come from the rugs and the art and accessories you select.
MOROCCAN BERBER RUGS Carpets Custom Produced in Any Size&Color
Boucherouite #18 Rug
May 5, 2013 at 11:42am     
nhiggott
Thankyou for your advice, I am now getting the message about leaving the walls white,plus coloured fabrics,rugs etc, do you think I should colour the shutters/doors? Regards
Nick
May 5, 2013 at 12:02pm   
Alison Decoracion.
You could put some colour into the shutters and doors. I don`t mean to be nosey but have you lived in the house ? If you haven´t I wouldn`t do anything untill I had got the feel of the space, light and atmosphere of the house itself .....it`s different from your run of the mill house and a very interesting project.
May 5, 2013 at 12:23pm     
I think, again as Alison says, that you should wait until you get there and see what other people are doing with their doors and shutters. Certainly you have some wonderful blue tiles in the house, and the sky is ever so blue so that is what comes to mind for your front door at least. But if I were there, I might change my mind. When will you be there so that you can send more pictures of particular issues. We do much better with individual questions here than with an overall design plan.
May 5, 2013 at 1:16pm     
Need help to design my Cave house terrace in Spain with hot tub
Hi, I have just bought a small cave house in Spain,...
Need help deciding what to do with house that I just purchased.
House was built in 1925 and don't know if it is a craftman...
Classy man cave house design ideas
I live alone in a very small house (about 900 sq. feet.),...
DCLOSTBOY Report to Classy Bedroom Thread! .....please :)
Here is my lovely bedroom (can we sense the sarcasm?)....
What does luxury mean to you?
The beauty of Houzz is that you can get inspiration...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
Where do your pets sleep in your house?
Do your treasured pets have a special bed just for...
Where do your pets sleep?
We've seen some pretty creative cat beds and dog baskets...