Need help choosing window treatments, rug and adding a little color
iola
I just bought new sofa and two chairs in neutral color, which I love. but now am having problems choosing window treatments and think I need a new rug as well. This may be the place to add some color?
karen paul interiors
I love your new chairs and sofa! You have begun with a monochromatic look and can continue in that direction by adding more layers of the same color families, going lighter and darker and adding texture (which you find in your rug). When you say you are having problems choosing a window treatment, is it the fabric or the treatment? You might want to give us a full photo of the window(s) so we can see what you see. Also, a few photos of the entire room would be helpful for the sake of ensuring balance throughout. Color can come in many forms through accessories, art, and yes...a rug as well, should you decide to change the one you have. Have you recently painted your walls or do you also want to change the color. If you keep the wall color as it is, please identify the manufacturer and the color name, then we can know exactly what it is. Thanks!
May 5, 2013 at 7:06am     
leelee
Your place has a cottage feel. Terra cotta might be a good choice to add some color. You'll need to be careful of adding anything with flowers because you won't want to repeat that theme. Go for small patterns with mainly solid colors. Consider getting rid of the mini-blinds in favor of curtains. Don't over do it with the color. Add some art that repeats the color you decide to use.
May 5, 2013 at 7:18am   
iola
Thank you both for your comments. I still have much to do in the room. New lamps, etc, but have included some more picts. -- one of the window full view. I have some beige curtains up with the mini blinds. I will take down the minis-- good suggestion. Also need to find some art behind the couch.

Again, so nice to have some suggestions by such creative professionals.
May 6, 2013 at 12:47pm   
leelee
Your place is cute and has personality. I do think you need to group your accessories and maybe pare them down to avoid looking too cluttered or cramped. The right art would set off your room. Here a good rule of thumb when looking for art. It should be 2/3 the width of the sofa...if sofa is 60" then art should be 40" in width. It should be hung so that there 5" of wall space between the sofa back and the picture bottom. Here's a fun one from esty.com It's 40 wide x 30 high $325. Original art.
May 6, 2013 at 4:50pm     
Aja Mazin
Great sofa and chairs, but the rug is much too bland and casual.

Would you be receptive to an Oriental rug in rust, creams, and greens?
May 6, 2013 at 5:00pm     
decofriend
Hi Iola! I see country accessories beside your new modern upholstered furnishings leaving me confused. My guess is the many country pieces are likely part of past decor. My suggestion is to remove everything except the furniture pieces so you can rebuild the room without the confusion. I love your new pieces. Choose a rug large enough for all of the chairs and sofa legs to sit on. I would look for a combination of soft-medium neutrals. Use darker wood tones for side tables and a statement worthy coffee table. Love grommet white curtains shown above. Last bring in color in your accessories... wall art, pillows, coffee table vases, etc. I am thinking of a muted aqua-blue. It will be easy to update accessories as the years go by and new colors replace current ones. Hope this provides a game plan for your lovely start.
May 6, 2013 at 5:53pm   
emeraldmanatee
I think a red from your quilt would be pretty on the wall. Match drapery to the flower color on the upholstery. Love the furniture!
May 6, 2013 at 6:50pm   
Cheery Curtains
What about these designs?
May 6, 2013 at 7:53pm   
Need help with window treatment and rug style and color
What type of drapes would you add or shades and what...
Need help choosing roof color. Picture added
I'm closing on my first house in two weeks and I've...
Need a little help choosing a Paint Color?
Need a little help choosing a Paint Color? Check out...
Need help choosing patio door window treatments
I have a French Door that leads to our deck.Decorative...
Trim on window and doors
We are doing a small Reno and are curious as to what...
Kitchen Remodel
We are in the process of a kitchen remodel and this...
Ralph Lauren Paints in Philadelphia area
I am trying to find a paint by Ralph Lauren, a glaze,...