Need help choosing window treatments, rug and adding a little color
iola
I just bought new sofa and two chairs in neutral color, which I love. but now am having problems choosing window treatments and think I need a new rug as well. This may be the place to add some color?
karen paul interiors
I love your new chairs and sofa! You have begun with a monochromatic look and can continue in that direction by adding more layers of the same color families, going lighter and darker and adding texture (which you find in your rug). When you say you are having problems choosing a window treatment, is it the fabric or the treatment? You might want to give us a full photo of the window(s) so we can see what you see. Also, a few photos of the entire room would be helpful for the sake of ensuring balance throughout. Color can come in many forms through accessories, art, and yes...a rug as well, should you decide to change the one you have. Have you recently painted your walls or do you also want to change the color. If you keep the wall color as it is, please identify the manufacturer and the color name, then we can know exactly what it is. Thanks!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 7:06AM
leelee
Your place has a cottage feel. Terra cotta might be a good choice to add some color. You'll need to be careful of adding anything with flowers because you won't want to repeat that theme. Go for small patterns with mainly solid colors. Consider getting rid of the mini-blinds in favor of curtains. Don't over do it with the color. Add some art that repeats the color you decide to use.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 7:18AM
iola
Thank you both for your comments. I still have much to do in the room. New lamps, etc, but have included some more picts. -- one of the window full view. I have some beige curtains up with the mini blinds. I will take down the minis-- good suggestion. Also need to find some art behind the couch.

Again, so nice to have some suggestions by such creative professionals.
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 12:47PM
leelee
Your place is cute and has personality. I do think you need to group your accessories and maybe pare them down to avoid looking too cluttered or cramped. The right art would set off your room. Here a good rule of thumb when looking for art. It should be 2/3 the width of the sofa...if sofa is 60" then art should be 40" in width. It should be hung so that there 5" of wall space between the sofa back and the picture bottom. Here's a fun one from esty.com It's 40 wide x 30 high $325. Original art.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:50PM
Aja Mazin
Great sofa and chairs, but the rug is much too bland and casual.

Would you be receptive to an Oriental rug in rust, creams, and greens?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 5:00PM
decofriend
Hi Iola! I see country accessories beside your new modern upholstered furnishings leaving me confused. My guess is the many country pieces are likely part of past decor. My suggestion is to remove everything except the furniture pieces so you can rebuild the room without the confusion. I love your new pieces. Choose a rug large enough for all of the chairs and sofa legs to sit on. I would look for a combination of soft-medium neutrals. Use darker wood tones for side tables and a statement worthy coffee table. Love grommet white curtains shown above. Last bring in color in your accessories... wall art, pillows, coffee table vases, etc. I am thinking of a muted aqua-blue. It will be easy to update accessories as the years go by and new colors replace current ones. Hope this provides a game plan for your lovely start.
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 5:53PM
emeraldmanatee
I think a red from your quilt would be pretty on the wall. Match drapery to the flower color on the upholstery. Love the furniture!
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 6:50PM
Cheery Curtains
What about these designs?
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 7:53PM
Need help with window treatments for my livingroom.
The room faces east, so a lot of morning sun. Privacy...
Cyndi
Need help on dining room redo....window treatment, rug, lighting..
Hello All I just ordered silk white cafe style plantation...
Shevaun Bayley
Need help choosing rugs and curtain color
I'm trying to give my whole home a more contemporary...
help me
Dress to impress! Need window treatment help!
I have a dining room window - only window in room-...
jodifina
Help to choose chairs, window treatment, and dress up TV armoire
Hi, this our family room. The room is large, there...
ritafamilant
Curtain placement help!!!!
This wall is a thorn in my side. I just took down bifold...
rpl814
Outside Laundry room
I have a home I've been trying to remodel, bit by...
Josie Walden
wooden log on fungus/ rotting
hi i'm design up a wooden log wall for my live kitchen...
ashu101
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Choosing Cabinets for Kitchen Renovation! Please help...
Currently planning my kitchen renovation. I have already...
Toni