Need help picking countertops....!
jenntorp
I need help picking countertops. The kitchen gets a sufficient amount if light from the surrounding rooms, plenty of recessed lighting, Bruce hardwood floors in gunstock, I changed the hardware already, now ready for countertops/backsplash & Im stuck! I like movement in the granite, im thinking Persia Avorio, Dejavu, Securi Brown, but not opposed to honed black or soapstone just need advice.
0825sam
It's a personal preference but I think absolute black or soapstone are more elegant, versatile and would give a more updated look with the hardware you've chosen.
May 5, 2013 at 6:28am     
A Crew of Two
Gorgeous! I think soapstone would finish the space perfectly. Some of the companies are offering free sinks right now. For the back splash you could do anything- a subway tile, a natural stone Period Charm warmington north Glace Glass Tile - Ann Sacks Tile & Stone Ceramic Basics - Capriccio - Ann Sacks Tile & Stone Terra Cotta
May 5, 2013 at 6:32am     
jenntorp
Thank you for your replies, I have been told that soapstone gives the kitchen a country look but I don't necessarily agree. I just want s classic wow effect. Can you tell me if the upkeep of soapstone is a lot? I'm also hoping to add an island later on, no plumbing in the island mostly just for seating, I'm wondering if I should save the soapstone material for the island and do a granite with movement for perimeter? What do you hear about islands that are not permanent, i.e. on wheels? I have 100 inches between countertop walls but that would make for a small island. I want the island for seating positioned to look into the family room
May 5, 2013 at 6:50am   
jenntorp
Thank you both! Kelly I love the green/gray glass subway tiles. Beautiful and I can almost see it in the kitchen.
May 5, 2013 at 7:01am   
A Crew of Two
Soapstone is amazing. If you oil it regularly with mineral oil to start it will darken. Choose something with lots of veining for the movement you are looking for. Each piece is different. It is non porous, will not harbor bacteria, you can set hot pans on it without damaging it and can withstand acid based foods. It is soft so it does scratch- but easily sands out. From all I have read it is a great product. Islands just need a 36" minimum clearance on all sides- 42" is best around appliances. So with the 100" not sure if you mean wall to wall or cabinet to wall. If that is the clear area you could do only a 28" island- not very big. Dorado Soapstone Installed - Kitchen Carved Soapstone Sink
May 5, 2013 at 7:22am   
Shelly Lynch
I love the flooring. What type and stain? We are planning to change flooring & it's difficult knowing what stain to use since our cabinets are fairly dark like yours. Do your cabinets & flooring match? We thought we might have our flooring a shade lighter. Thanks!
May 5, 2013 at 8:38am   
jenntorp
Hi Shelly, I had an even harder time with the flooring than I am with the countertops. It is Bruce pre-finished hardwood flooring in Gunstock. Which for me was a darker shade than I would ever pick. They are a shade lighter than the cabinets so I was relieved that they offer a contrast. The entire first floor was covered in this hardwood and I would recommend the product. You can see how it looks lighter in some rooms than others.
May 5, 2013 at 8:52am   
jenntorp
This is the gunstock hardwood in our family room.
May 5, 2013 at 8:56am   
Granite Towers Inc
Maintenance/Practicality:

If you have children you do not want to purchase soap stone counter-tops, though easily repaired, they can be scratched with your fingernail and are very high maintenance. Absolute black is one of, if not the, strongest and most durable of stones, which mean low maintenance.If it is honed it will have to be sealed likely once ever year or 2 but it is a very simple process.

Cosmetic reasons:

If you are going for a more contemporary look I would certainly go with the honed absolute black with a sealer called "Ager" It will give it an incredible up to date look and will also assist you in selling your home down the road. Soap stone tends to give a home a more classic upscale Victorian look which I really do not believe would match the cabinets/floor and overall design of the rest of the kitchen you already have in place. Another great stone to look into is Astoria.

Tile:
If you do go with absolute black I would also stick with a tile that is subtle, but a little busy as to put some diversity in the room. The Glace Glass tile from Kelly's post is a great example

Hope this was helpful!
May 5, 2013 at 2:14pm     
jenntorp
Thank you for the great advice, would any if these 3 look ok in your opinion....
May 5, 2013 at 4:07pm   
jenntorp
2nd one
May 5, 2013 at 4:08pm   
jenntorp
3rd one
May 5, 2013 at 4:09pm   
A Crew of Two
I like the 1st one
May 5, 2013 at 4:17pm   
Granite Towers Inc
I believe if you had to choose from these three, the third would be your best option. Now this all comes down to personal taste. Personally I would go with different stones. The first two are very unique stones and I feel it may look a little too over the top. The third seems a bit too light. I would recommend something that is busy but not as busy as the first 2 stones. I believe you should find something with a more beige/golden/brown hint to it. Colonial Cream, Sunset Ivory, and Juparana Vyara are stones I would personally recommend. If you are set on having a very busy stone, Sienna Bordeaux would likely look great as well. All of these stones I have mentioned vary rather dramatically so be sure to look around at a lot of stone providers until you find the one you love!
May 5, 2013 at 5:26pm     
Ed
I agree with GT. Of the three, the 3rd one is the cleanest (Least busy).
May 5, 2013 at 6:10pm   
zennifer
They all look a little washed out next to your cabinets; I personally like two best of the options.
May 5, 2013 at 6:34pm   
jenntorp
So, a few weeks later and we have concentrated on other areas of the house, as well as, finally moving in. I am still no closer on choosing a counter that will have a classic, professional, wow effect, one that will compliment the woods in the room ....but most of all I don't want it to look like I just put new granite countertops on top of old dated cabinetry (which is exactly what I'm doing)....these are the surrounding rooms to see our color pallet
May 21, 2013 at 6:09pm   
jenntorp
Or bland neutral color pallet
May 21, 2013 at 6:12pm   
Need help picking kitchen cabinet and countertop
We are replacing cabinets and countertops in small...
Need help picking out countertop for kitchen island!
We are wanting to replace the counter top on our kitchen...
need help picking countertop
What material do you recommend? There's granite, corian,...
Need help picking kitchen countertop
We are remodeling our kitchen with cherry cabinets...
What to hang above sofa?
This is our new pool house/guest house. I want something...
Landscaping/ Area use Advice sought
Hello Houzzers, Just moved into this house and I've...
Help needed in updating the look of the exterior of this house
As seen from the picture this is a really old house....
En Suite Bathroom Design Challenge
Looking for any advice regarding our bathroom. We...
Paint color for dining room and entry way
I had originally planned on painting my dining room...