My living room shouts for help!! plzz
sarah_o
I have finished with furniture but my problem is with accessorizing it. The room looks dull and lacks of a homy feel :( I dont know what to put on the fire place and how to fill the huge wall behind the fireplace!! I am thinking of a sofa table, what do u guys think? give me ideas cause I am clueless in this matter...
thank u so much(hearts)
I talked too much sorry,
sarah_o
More pictures :)
May 5, 2013 at 9:53am     
Chesterfields gorgeous, arm chairs, also. They look like Mitchel Gold?
The sofas look green to me, so I am going to suggest based on that color. Walls in the same color as the sofas in a matte finish. Chairs on either side of the fireplace. Different rug, lamps,coffee table and end tables, too white and too IKEA looking for those sofas. You need some wood pieces to balance the style and color of the furniture legs. Bench where the two chairs are now. A great mirror over the fireplace....maybe a chinoiserie in red?

Your walls and sofas would have the same tone...

Morningside Make-Over

Lacquer Red Modern Petal Mirror

Red Pagoda Mirror
Chinese Chippendale Pair of Coffee Tables
May 5, 2013 at 10:08am     
bevballew
You could put matching sofa tables or chests on each side of the fp with matching mirrors and nice artwork above the fp. Simply add two matching lamps on the sofa tables. I would try for either two more pillows on the sofa because the red is too bright alone. Not sure if the chest is too small in the foyer area or you need to change the mirror, turn it horizontal, center on the wall.
May 5, 2013 at 10:08am     
bevballew
Agree the white tables do not suit the room. Wood would be perfect.
May 5, 2013 at 10:09am     
Second thought...try the red bench where that chest is with a great painting above it.
May 5, 2013 at 10:11am     
Agree with bev that two console tables would look great on either side of the fireplace.
May 5, 2013 at 10:17am     
sarah_o
Judy thank u for ur helpful comment :) I did have a bad feeling about the white tables. Maybe I will get dark wood ones. and I will move the furniture around and see how it looks and
I will post pictures .
thanks again for ur help
May 5, 2013 at 10:20am     
sarah_o
bev I love ur idea! I will start searching for them from tomorrow and post it for advice before buying them, hope u will bare with me ;)
May 5, 2013 at 10:22am     
amafixer
Dark end tables will help.
May 5, 2013 at 10:32am   
I would paint the white end tables a high gloss black, and get a wood finish coffee table. Can the air conditioning/heating (?) unit that is on the wall above the fireplacebe moved further the left, or somewhere else totally?

I like the bench where it is as it balances out, colorwise, the chest that has the mirror above it. And speaking of that chest, it needs a painting (vertical) above it and two skinny lamps flanking the painting. I very much like the idea of the twin consoles flanking the fireplace.
May 5, 2013 at 10:32am     
Move to chairs to either side of firepl. I like idea of red bench where chest and mirror are now. Add very large art pic should be almost as long as bench and high with bold colors. Don't have to be green and red. Remove red pillows from sofa place n chairs. Add shades of green print pillows with black, to sofa in different size and use a few. Remove items from mantel or leave just one on end. Add very bold print with color art over firepl. What is object on wall to left? Does it strick out? Can you put art over it? Move yr chest to wall right of firepl place mirror hung long ways above it keep low rule pic hung 5" above furn. On wall left of firepl with things on wall put 2 tall bushy silk palms. To fill space add warmth. I would also paint. A very lite celery. That will warm up the place give you the cozy feel room is missing.
May 5, 2013 at 10:38am     
Get tan not white shades for lamps. Coffee table not working go square in a glass with bronze trim. 40 x40 would fit. Add a basket with large orchid in green with a coupl of coffee table books
May 5, 2013 at 10:42am     
Remove sheers on window dated. Drapes ok. Leave windows simple. Let the sun in and see view. Push sofa towards back wall when placing chairs at angle to each other. You have a lot of space use it need room to walk pass chairs and around coffee table. If putting chest on wall by firepl remove end table on the end of sofa don't really end it.
May 5, 2013 at 10:48am     
Frame out in moulding print all trim white. Around that door and entry space to dining area.
May 5, 2013 at 10:49am   
In dining rm paint same as living rm celery. Remove dated window covers replace with simple cream panels or same as living rm minus sheers. You need big art pieces in there also plants. Tall full. You won't believe how they change a look. Buy nice ones can get pricy but well worth last forever.
May 5, 2013 at 10:53am     
Sorry but do not like choice of coffee table or end table. Look too small and cheap can you return? Like I said above remove the one and replace other with a mirror one.
May 5, 2013 at 10:56am   
Yes air con on firepl wall ugly. Can it be moved? Over windows would hide it more. Then paint same as walls. Your fur is very nice. Just a few changes to small pieces.
May 5, 2013 at 11:00am     
Ok I promise ill stop commenting can't help myself. Remove valance over windows also just a dated look. Now it's all about simple when it comes to window treatment.
May 5, 2013 at 11:03am     
Sorry I lied. Hoe big is area rug. Should be 8 x10 no furn on it. I would a more plush cream color.
May 5, 2013 at 11:04am     
fbg1138
I really like your furniture choices! And i like your basic arrangement. My first impression was that there wasn't any focal point...and that fireplace wall looks really lonely and not part of the total grouping. I think the wood coffee table idea is a good one. Nothing adds warmth like wood....also a rug that makes more of a statement....something that says "come over HERE". My first thought is a gray/white zigzag pattern.

I think that bookcases on either side of the fireplace with storage below would be a real asset. Also if they were floor to ceiling built-ins, the ac unit would have some camouflage instead of screaming look-at-me as it as now. It would be tricky to design but well worth it. Adding more lighting so that it could be equally space but have one centered over the fireplace and window would be something that I would need to have.

I like the red chest and its placement, but I would rehang the mirror vertical rather than horizontal. And could you shorten the speaker stands a bit so that speakers are no higher than the top of the chest. That would help them recede into the background a bit.

Have fun with this room! It'll be a winner...you've make good furniture choices, the coziness will come in the details. Add some of your own personality in the showcasing some of your interests.
May 5, 2013 at 11:21am     
A Crew of Two
Lovely start. Can you put the mirror over the FP? I feel your lamps are too small. Also, thinking the rug may be too small as well. Window treatment seems dated- I am not a fan of cornice boards. How would you feel about adding trim and painting the tray ceiling a deeper color? It would really warm up the room a lot. I see black in the dining room, maybe bring some of that into the room more since you have the zebra pillows already. Madrid Neutral Border Rug Jute Chenille Herringbone Rug, Natural Slate Calvin Klein Rugs Luster Wash Ivory Contemporary Rug William Hefner Architecture Interiors & Landscape Contemporary Jamie Young Mulholland Black Floor Lamp Contemporary Set of 2 Steppe Black Table Lamps "Shoreline" Unframed Canvas Art by Caroline Gold Symphony Wall Art
May 5, 2013 at 11:31am     
sadekoven
First congratulations on your furniture choices, I am sure you will have many years of enjoyment. You have great "bones furniture". It seems to me that you have great space on left side of room, so I would:
- slightly shift (2 or 3 feet) sofa on left of fp to the left and back closer to fp allowing for more room at entry into the room and more enjoyment of fp.
- move red chest to right of fp centered on wall. Put table lamp on it to provide ambient lighting.
-place second sofa facing fp so at an "L" with sofa on left.
- change rug so that it is length-wise in front of fp
- move 2 chairs to window side of room facing the sofa on left. (We are still keeping your square design but just shifting the pieces so there is more room)
- now put the red bench where red chest was originally with either a mirror or dynamite picture that pulls in some of the greens.
- turn the coffee table 45 degrees so that long side is facing couch
- I agree with other comments about your coffee and end tables. Would be better in wood. However, if cost is a factor, spray paint them a mocha brown to match the feet of your red bench.
- find two large color coordinated paintings (Hobby Lobby has great choices) that you can hang vertically on either side of your draped window.

Hope these suggestions help. Try to keep your other accessories chunky - not a lot of little things as your furniture has a great sophisticated traditional style and you don't need a lot of little items to distract the eye.
May 5, 2013 at 11:40am     
leelee
All of your furniture has legs....nothing with a skirt. Usually a mix of the two gives a more balanced look.
May 5, 2013 at 12:30pm   
I am partial to your sofas as I have two just like the ones in the Morningside Makeover pix I posted, colors and everything the same. One thing that I love with that Chesterfield style is mixing it with Campaign and Asian furniture. My consoles on either side of the fireplace are Campaign that I was lucky enough to find on e-bay, older Baker pieces in perfect condition.

May 5, 2013 at 12:33pm     
Nancy Walton
Is the fireplace a free-standing unit? If so, it might be better to move it to the left so it lines up under the AC unit, then build in a fireplace surround, leaving an area open for the AC unit. I am assuming it is remote-controlled? Or thermostatically controlled, so you don't actually have to climb up there to turn it on, etc. Then shift your furniture to the left as well.

Change out the hardware on your painted chest to Chippendale or Chinese-style brass pulls.
May 5, 2013 at 1:07pm     
brody1313
I would loose the sheers and valance on the draperies, put red cushions in printed chairs and loose the blue pillows, might or might not use the red and black pillows on sofas, sometimes pillows can be overdone.....the idea of a black and white rug might be really nice to pull black into the living room, the lamps are not right, they need to be larger, possibly large round to soften the area....the fireplace wall needs some red......like the idea of matching side pieces, chests or consoles, with either large cordinating art or mirrors....then the opposite above the fireplace.....love your color choice......the symphony wall art suggested looks like it would be perfect in your room....have fun
May 5, 2013 at 1:10pm   
Nancy Walton
What if you added a 6" bullion fringe to the bottom of the sofas? Would give a skirted look, without too much problem, just staple on, add a nailhead trim?
May 5, 2013 at 1:13pm   
Nancy Walton
I agree w/Kelly--the lamps are too small (boudoir lamps, for sure)--the black ones bring in your black from DR. Hang the mirror vertically over the red cabinet, add two tall skinny buffet lamps with red shades.
May 5, 2013 at 1:20pm   
fbg1138
Ah ha...I now see that the fireplace seems to be freestanding (as another contributor pointed out). If so, I would center it under the ac unit and downlight. Then shift the whole furniture arrangement left to center on the newly located fireplace. A sofa table with lamps would be good behind the sofa near the window and use the small end tables there with the left sofa since there are no lamp/ drink surfaces near it presently. What do you think?
May 5, 2013 at 1:25pm     
Lovely pieces, with the exception of the white casegoods. Your very square arrangement is seeking a balance which will be difficult to achieve due to the fixed elements like AC unit, window, outlets, wall switches. It is also in contradiction with the round elements in the adjoining dining room. What is the light fixture on the tray ceiling? I suggest you soften and add some roundness to the equation. Try a round drum chandelier dropped above a round coffee table, a round mirror in place of the square one, or a round table between angled chairs. You need a much larger area rug that will snug halfway under the Chesterfields. Eliminate the rectangular cornice. Paint the window frame to match the walls so it doesn't pop out through the sheer. I think the sheer and drapes help disguise the fact that it is a very small window. Consider moving the window side sofa to the FP wall to cover the outlets, centered between the two down lights. Then hang a large piece of art 4-5" above it. Use a round mirror over the FP but move it to the red chest position. Put the red chest under the group of thermostats and switches to one side of the Chesterfield. Camouflage them by installing a backless, doored decorative box over them. It can be sized to suit the chest size and treated as art - maybe something a bit exotic or totally contemporary. Might have it custom made using an antique or found door. Put the bench in front of the window with the two chairs angled in front of it and a table between them. Upgrade your lamps - they are too short and not substantial enough for the large sofas or the volume of the space.
May 5, 2013 at 3:28pm     
sarah_o
Thank u travis for ur amazing feedback:) unfortunatly I cant return the tables and they cost me alot but I might paint them. I love ur new arrangment I will try it and as for the rug its 3x2 Meters. I am thinking of getting a bigger one. plz feel free to write suggestions.
May 6, 2013 at 1:55am   
sarah_o
Thank u Carolyn,
I will see about the air-con,hope they can move it cause i know its ugly:(
May 6, 2013 at 1:56am   
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I do like most of your choices including the white tqblew that no one seems to like. They add freshness to the room. The placement of the furniture is fine as well. Lamps do need to be larger and I wish your red chest where more horizontal. It looks like a bedroom chest rather than a living room chest if that makes any sense. The room looks sterile because there is no art work. Fill those walls up with original art or fine antique prints. This will give the room some depth. If the room can shjft to the left then do so thus it will be centered with split unit.. since it seems that FP is centered in the room I would try to move split unit over FP and then build bookcvases around the whole thing going to full length of the wall. This will add great interest to your room. Good work so far. Congratulations.
May 6, 2013 at 2:25am   
sarah_o
Thank u Fbg
for ur helpful feedback.as for the fp I moved ot under the ac,I removed the speakers ,as for lighting what do u think of a chandlier in the middle?
May 6, 2013 at 3:33am   
sarah_o
Thank u Kelly,
I like the idea of bringing black to the room but how? examples plzz;)
May 6, 2013 at 3:34am   
sarah_o
thank u Sadek
love ur suggestions ,especially about the layout! I will do that and keep u posted :)
May 6, 2013 at 3:36am   
sarah_o
Thank u Leelee
I havent noticed that!! ^_^
I will keep it in mind in the future.
May 6, 2013 at 3:37am   
sarah_o
Thank u Nancy for ur FP/AC suggestion. I did it and it looks great :) where do u think I should put the lamp? on the the side tables or the red cabinet?
May 6, 2013 at 3:40am   
sarah_o
FBG , I like the idea of a sofa table behind the sofa near the window, but what do u think I should put on it? (frames,the current lamps,...) and as for the left sofa I am planning to buy 2 more end tables, what do u think the color should be?
I also have a transpart service table whoch i will add to the living room, what do u think?
May 6, 2013 at 3:46am   
A Crew of Two
The lamps I included were black, a black tray on the table. I too do not mind the white coffee table, but think the end tables should be different from the coffee table- too matchy
May 6, 2013 at 5:21am   
patricia1971
I think your room looks great. Before you paint or return anything, add what you know you need...the things that make it personal. A tray on your coffee table with some books on it. A few plants. Pictures on you family in frames on the sideboard. One or two funky pillows that are a little unexpected (not everything should be perfect!). One little thing you could do that I think would look great is to buy some ribbon trim to sew along side your curtain panel. Maybe a Greek key design in red or blue world give you one last bit of punch and intrigue.
May 6, 2013 at 9:19am     
Nancy Walton
sarah, The skinny tall lamp with red shade should go on your red chest with the mirror turned vertically. Better yet, two lamps, but one would do. And don't forget to change out the drawer handles, will make more of a statement.
May 6, 2013 at 9:57am   
Nancy Walton
Also, add a low bowl or cloisonne plate on the red chest, to collect mail or your keys when you come into the house.
May 6, 2013 at 9:58am   
fbg1138
Much to read today. You must have felt bombarded with all the input.

Glad that the fireplace is relocated and that you're happy with it. I have one of those split ac units, too, and they're such a problem...so ugly. I've wondered if they could be repainted successfully. Does anyone know?

Sarah, if its not too much trouble, could we get updated pictures so that everyone understands where you are with all the suggestions vs. decisions? That way we will know what you like and won't keep repeating ideas that you have already rejected.

Also, a few other questions that would be helpful for future recommendations...

Could you describe the wall color...the photos leave us to imagine the color. Does it have a name?

Are you single, a couple or family? Pets?

What do you plan to do in this room? Do you entertain often? Large or small groups? Is the front door your primary entrance?

Room shape? Dimensions? Ceiling height standard 8'?

Are you a DIY-er or will you need to hire tradesmen?

I know that there are several furniture arrangements out there for you to consider...which way did you go? Personally, I liked your present arrangement. Classic and symmetrical. You may need to live with different arrangements for a few days/weeks before you know which one pleases you and functions well, too.

As for your other questions about lamps/lighting...SIZE MATTERS. This may mean many trips to the lamp store to try different sizes/shapes/heights/colors but, no worries, they are used to it and will usually let you take something home "on approval" or have a lenient return policy. Remember with lighting that you want layers of lighting. You already have recessed lighting so you need light for reading, etc. I'll look for a helpful article concerning this issue to share.

As for your question about if you should add a chandelier...2 questions. How difficult (expensive) would it be to install one? How much do you want one? A chandelier would would be nice, but IMHO, not essential for good lighting. There are many ways to get good results.

I agree with others that adding natural/wood tone accessories will make much of your white become less prominent. Also breaking up (not literally) your pair of white side tables would make them less match-y. I think that your clear tables would be a nice addition.

Lots to consider.

Gotta go for now...
May 6, 2013 at 10:12am   
fbg1138
Sarah, I found this website that had some good information on lighting fundamentals...also there is a link on the rt. side of webpage to some videos that might be worthwhile to check out.
http://www.americanlightingassoc.com/Lighting-Fundamentals/3-Types-of-Lighting.aspx
May 6, 2013 at 12:25pm   
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
You totally need to get some darker colors by way of either furniture or wall decor
May 6, 2013 at 12:36pm   
If cant return tables paint black. Post new pic of room as it goes.
May 6, 2013 at 12:44pm   
Ann
Just learning from and watching this discussion. I look forward to seeing pictures as you implement the suggestions you like. Lots of good advice has been given!
May 6, 2013 at 1:44pm   
hunt5
Wow! Great advice. Can't wait to see new pictures.
May 6, 2013 at 1:50pm   
sarah_o
thank you all for your very helpful input :) I am really greatful. I did this room a year ago and I stoped cause I know there is something wrong plus I had no clue how to finish it. this room is for entertaining with my family and close friend its an informal living room but unfortunatly I havent used it yet. With your help now I believe I will be having a party sometime soon :).
The walls r in (Sand) color.
I bought a round ceiling lamp from Ikea(will post pic) till me what u think?
Yesterday I was moving around the furniture till I got dizzy loool
I settled with this layout(see pics) tell me what u guys think? althought I could get the chairs to have exactly the same angle!!
I am open to suggestions, feel free to ask anything ;)
May 7, 2013 at 4:16am     
sarah_o
more pics ...
this is the lamp from Ikea,I have it in my family room but my son kicked it with the ball and it need fixing loool
May 7, 2013 at 4:19am   
sarah_o
Lamp
May 7, 2013 at 4:20am   
aimran
great suggestions by Houzzers and the room already looks even better.
have you tried placing the red seat in between the two end tables, with enough space to step out of the sitting circle? and placing a console like this under the rectangular mirror.. Dresden Mirrored Console Benedetta Console Amelie Mirrored Console
or maybe an open book case there..
how about a faux palm or large plant in the corner by the window?
May 7, 2013 at 5:14am   
aimran
also, patricia1971 suggested above a "ribbon trim to sew along side your curtain panel. Maybe a Greek key design in red or blue"... i really like her suggestion. it'll make your room grand!

you also need votives or candles in a thin tray on center table with a low full flower arrangement on it..
May 7, 2013 at 5:20am   
I preferred it when you had the bench in front of the fireplace and the chest under the mirror. The mirror needs to be placed in a vertical position over the chest until you can replace it with a different one. I loved judyg's suggestion of the red pagoda mirror. A large painting would work over the FP. Bigger pillows (20 to 22" sq.) are needed on the sofa.
May 7, 2013 at 6:14am     
bevballew
I agree with Carolyn. Your furniture arrangement had a very neat and classic look. It was worth the try to,find out. Thank you for doing so and sharing.
May 7, 2013 at 6:19am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
You've had a lot of great feedback, but there's a couple things I would suggest that could make a big impact. Your new furniture arrangement looks great - I would just move your red chest from where it is now to the open wall next to the red bench. (See below). Some large artwork over the bench or a gallery wall type arrangement over both pieces would help create a natural focal point and give you a chance to extend your color scheme. I would also get a larger mirror for over the fireplace, even if you just move the rectangular mirror there and add some tall, red candles to your candelabras. I would repaint the walls if that's an option - something in your present color scheme. I like Judy's idea of matching the color of your couches, just maybe in a lighter side like Sherwin William's Sprout, seen in the example room below. Finally, I would update your window treatments, if you like the valance, I would try a cleaner, more modern look that stick echoes your bold color scheme. Maybe something like the photo below, with red buttons and a red border with curtains that match. You can make your own valance if you're an DIY-er, then find simple white curtains and add your own red edging to them.
May 7, 2013 at 7:55am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Even if you rearrange your furniture to the way it was before - you should update the valance and bring more art into the room. You need something to create interest, especially on that open wall. The chest by itself or the bench by itself seem too small. You may want to opt for a longer buffet table to fit the space with art / your mirror over that.

"Keesee & Associates is a Custom Home Design firm in the Orlando Metro."
May 7, 2013 at 8:02am   
Nancy Walton
Sarah, I prefer the arrangement you had before. Right now all your furniture is crowding the fireplace, and the wall where your entry is is a gaping hole. Please move it back, dear, sometimes our first instinct is the best--you need to learn to trust your instincts!
May 7, 2013 at 9:50am   
Ann
I think the Keesee and Associates idea of trying both the bench and the chest on the wall together is really worth trying. The drawing of that arrangement looks very workable with art to tie it all together. I agree that it is also worth trying the rectagular mirror over the fireplace (probably vertically). It's probably not the best mirror choice for the spot, but it's worth a try. I kind of prefer the chairs flanking the fireplace.
May 7, 2013 at 9:54am     
Ann
Hmmm - quite a few people are saying they prefer the first furniture arrangement. I see Nancy's point about crowding the fireplace, but the thing I didn't like about the first arrangement was the bench by the fireplace. Please try the Keesee arrangement with the bench and chest together to see if that works for that large wall. If it does, I think the chairs could work as they originally were or as they are now. If you like the chairs by the fireplace, is there room to move the couches a bit further from the fireplaces so it looks less crowded in the fireplace area?
May 7, 2013 at 10:01am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I'm on Ann's side. The bench is front of the fireplace cramps the fireplace far more than the armchairs. But if you want the armchairs farther from the fireplace, try the layout below. It gives the fireplace plenty of space to remain the focal point. I think another problem you had with your original arrangement is that you tried to squeeze all the furniture onto your rug. It's okay to just have your coffee table on the rug and let the furniture float. They will give the layout more space, similar to the photos you posted, even if the armchairs return to their original spot. It just looked too tight in the beginning.
May 7, 2013 at 10:22am   
Nancy Walton
I think the only way to do that is to move the end tables down to the end by the chairs, and move the couches toward the entry wall. Maybe the bench in front of the draperies? that way, it could be brought into the seating when company comes?
May 7, 2013 at 10:23am   
Stikwood
I think STIKWOOD would look great on that wall behind the fireplace!! Check out our reclaimed white weathered wood. Stikwood is 100% real wood, EASY to install, DIY, cost effective solution that yields extraordinary results for ordinary spaces. Good luck! :)
May 7, 2013 at 10:29am   
Put sofa on left facing firepl. Move chairs to sofa spot facing windows. Put end table between them. Coffee table turn and facing firepl. Mirror over firepl. Put cabinet on other side of firepl. Add art. Move end table other end of sofa by window. Keep bench on back wall nut add large art piece. And potted plant in nice pots in lack on either side of it to fill wall. Also add plants in black pots to wall on side of firepl. Lamp should be bigger I wold go silver base and black shade. Add black pillows to sofas. Plants will soften room. Mirror on firepl now way too small.
May 7, 2013 at 10:35am   
When you hang art make sure it's low. A big piece over bench but A foot lower
I meant to say black pots for all plants.
May 7, 2013 at 10:39am   
Shaw Coates
I like the first furniture arrangement but with the bench on the left side of the fireplace and adding a large tree like a fiddle leaf or palm on the right side of the fireplace near the window. I would leave the chest at the back of the room with the mirror above it. A great dark wood coffee and side tables would work well with a larger rug or a similar color to what is their now. Williams-Sonoma Home Also consider putting the drapes on a simple ebony rod Basket Weave Linen Rod-Pocket Drapery and using larger lamps with a barrel shade Jamie Young Lighting Lamp Base Small White Egg with a barrel shaped shade. Also a large piece of art above the fireplace, this 39" square Matisse is available at www.momastore.com Matisse: Le Platane Framed Print
May 7, 2013 at 10:39am   
Add books ect to coffee table. Would love to see them black.
May 7, 2013 at 10:40am   
New area rug for sure that's where you can add some black with a small amount of red and celery green.
May 7, 2013 at 10:41am   
fbg1138
Sarah, you've been a busy girl. For my 2 cents worth...I agree with those who preferred the original arrangement.

I noticed and like that you centered the fireplace with the ac and added a mirror. I like the new round mirror...tho it looks a little under-scaled. If they have a larger one then you might want to give it a try, too. Then decide. If you like that look and depending on where the ceiling fixture you show is placed, then you might add that chandelier (instead of the round ikea) that you mentioned previously.

what i noticed about your new furniture arrangement was that all the furniture was at one end of the room... which makes it seem visually lopsided. Your poor little bench looks lost on the wall by itself. A room is like balancing a scale. If you drew an imaginary line thru it (one line front to back, another side to side)...each side should be equal the other. If your present arrangement was a boat, it would be sinking. ; )

Since you have moved the sofas away from the coffee table, it usefulness for setting drinks on, etc. is nil. Think usability! If the spacing is due to moving the fireplace and centering the sofas on that, then I would suggest bring the right sofa closer to the coffee table (away from the window), adding a sofa table behind it to fill the space and add lamps, photos, etc.

You may notice in all the photos you've posted, everything is basically the same height. I think the room still needs some taller elements in the form of art, plants, lighting, bookcases, armoire, etc. Otherwise, your eye just sweeps across the the room and goes nowhere special. Study some of the pictures others have posted and those you may have of rooms you admire. Break down the elements (furniture, art, lighting, etc.) and I hope that you will understand what I am trying to express.

I think we all agree here that you have made good choices with your basics...so trust your instincts, don't be afraid to return what doesn't work, and experiment with new ideas until you find what pleases you.
May 7, 2013 at 12:52pm   
nikikola
The last version is ok.you have more space with armchairs near the fireplace.You need a plant in the corner between window and firepl and a tv in front of firepl.you can remove from wall the mirror and put the tv.
May 7, 2013 at 1:29pm   
nikikola
Ps. The wall with red armchair And mirror need somthing like library with tv in it
May 7, 2013 at 1:37pm   
Madeline
I will say like others that your original floor plan was working much better in your room. In your effort to finalize the room I believe you might consider painting the walls a soft green color taken from your couch's green. More important I would not hesitate painting your fireplace, and my choice of color would be a very deep charcoal. I would mount a silver framed mirror above it. Regarding the curtains, I don't think the cornice is necessary. By utilizing a black iron or a painted wood curtain rod and adding curtain panels on each side of the window, you could add much needed pattern into the design. You could limit the major colors to green, a very soft red almost coral and a rich cream and a bit of black, If it's still a possibility you can get a second bench and then be able to place one on each side of the fireplace with appropriate artwork above it. Your chest on the opposing wall has a mirror that I feel is too large placed above it. (I also don't know what those black appendages are and it's difficult for me to show my ignorance on houzz but my desire to possibly be of help has won over my vanity. Maybe if this mirror is silver leafed this could be put above your fireplace. A nice black light weight accent chair can be placed on either side of the chest.

I think you could have a nice hanging chandelier in the middle of your room and it would look charming. Please see: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/black-and-olive-16-inch-wide-brushed-steel-swag-chandelier__w2813-t7093.html. I feel the totality of the white tables is too much of a good thing. The end tables could be painted or more cautiously stained a dark charcoal or black. If you are able still return your coffee table and choose a good sized round or oval glass table. This would be super. Your lamps should be larger and maybe a nod to Oriental in style and/or color.
May 7, 2013 at 2:46pm   
Bench does look to small for wall bring it up to where chairs were. Still add huge art to that wall . Pull all furn towards the back wall to much by firepl. Center more in rm.
May 7, 2013 at 6:01pm     
bevballew
What about the large mirror over the fp? I do not like the round mirror above fp. Does nothing. Sorry but being honest because you have so much potential for the room!
May 7, 2013 at 7:00pm   
aimran
love the new floor plan fits the room size! just try the bench between the new position of end tables as i suggested before..
and i like the suggestion of huge wall art on the wall opposite fp.
May 7, 2013 at 11:02pm   
Trim on window and doors
We are doing a small Reno and are curious as to what...
Reclaimed wood coffee table accessories
Hi guys, We were looking to dress up and accessorize...
ceiling medallions for light fixture-Yes or no
Just wondering if I should use a small ceiling medallion...
What do you miss most about your parent's house?
It could be a particular piece of furniture, the smell,...
Living room furniture, rug and colors?!
I'm trying to work out what to do in this room. The...