Design ideas to go with chalk painted bedroom set
Shawn
Hi All,

I've just painted the dresser and chest of my bedroom set with Chalk Paint. It is admittedly excellent to work with, and I decided to go with a 50/50 mix of french linen and graphite. The results are not what I expected however (on my test it was dark grey with a brown undertone), and I've now got what appears to be a grey/bluish result. I do like it, but it has thrown my previous design plans out the window. Previously I was going to do the back wall of my bedroom in Kendall Charcoal by Benjamin Moore, but now I don't think it'll match the blue in the furniture. Anyone have some inspiration for me? FYI, I'm a 27 year old male living alone. The rest of my condo is predominantly brown, and I like the idea of doing grey in the bedroom. I was going to red as the accent, but now I'm entirely open to suggestion.

Also, I'm in the process of waxing the painted furniture, and I'm rubbish at it. Should I breakdown and get the AS wax brush to help me out, or does anyone have any tricks? I'm just using the clear wax.

Thank you all in advance,
Shawn
I would go ahead and paint the bed wall the Kendall Charcoal that you planned one. It should be lovely with your blue dresser and chest. Maybe the wax that you're going to apply comes in gray. I'd add a couple of wall mounted swing arm lamps to the bed wall, one on each side of the bed. They will help show off your bed wall.

Then, I'd get bedding that goes with the charcoal and blue theme, starting with a white quilt and adding 3 blue euro shams at the head of the bed, plus 2 gray pillows and a blue or gray duvet, folded and placed across the foot of the bed. You'll need to paint a blue sample on cardboard to carry around with you so that your blue shams match your painted furniture.

May 5, 2013 at 11:22am     
Shawn
Thanks- here is an better picture of the dresser. You're right about the bedding, as that is definitely how I can pull it all together. The curtains are also something I'm wiling to change, as I have a friend who is an expert seamstress.

Another thought is to make all of my furniture two-tone. What do you think of paining all the drawer fronts in french linen or old white? My bed also has a lot of spindles in it, so I could do them in the lighter colour and the rest in the blue/grey colour. Then I could make the back wall and curtains a dark marine blue, and then paint the other walls to match whatever the drawer colour is.
May 5, 2013 at 11:35am   
Shawn
My other thought is to just paint the entire thing in french linen. I've attached an example. I think this would go very well with kendall charcoal; my original hope was that graphite would simply darken it a bit.

Image taken from: http://theshantygirl.blogspot.ca/2011/11/french-linen-chalk-paint-yumis-as-wax.html
May 5, 2013 at 11:44am   
I would avoid two tone painting because of the busy look it would give you. I would not like the charcoal painted furniture against the charcoal wall. Better to have some contrast, I think.
May 5, 2013 at 11:47am   
decofriend
Hi Shawn! I'd vote to keep the furniture the grayed blue. It looks great! Proceed with the gray walls... Perhaps BMoore Baybooth gray (HC-165) or no fail Revere pewter (HC-172). As suggested a earlier make the bedding the focal point and mix up the bedding to pull it all together. Use that linen color too and in the artwork selections, even large mats or frames.
May 5, 2013 at 11:52am   
Shawn
Hmm, that's probably a good idea. I feel like french linen is not actually as dark as the picture above, and if that's the case it would blend too much with the lighter grey on my walls. As for an accent colour- would orange work? All of the colours I would be using would be greyish, so maybe something with a bit of pop to it might help?

Edit: I've decided to stay with the blue, at least for now. It matches well with my current wall colours and with my curtains, so in the short term I'd only need to buy a new bed set and paint the back wall.
May 5, 2013 at 11:53am   
decofriend
Oops Shawn I meant to recommend Chelsea gray( HC-168) instead of Boothbay. I think the Kendall might create a cave.
May 5, 2013 at 11:57am   
decofriend
A strong orange pop would be perfect. There are plenty available. Have fun finishing!
May 5, 2013 at 12:00pm   
Shawn
I like chelsea grey as well- thanks! I was thinking if I get put a bookcase in there I could paint it a matching colour and then paint the back piece bright orange. You wouldn't see much behind the books, but it would be enough.
May 5, 2013 at 12:05pm   
Shawn
Also- anyone have any thoughts on knobs or pulls? I could paint the existing ones as well, but I'd rather just get something new that will match the room.
May 5, 2013 at 12:25pm   
I haven't gotten enough of the feel of the room to tell what kind of pulls or knobs would work best.
May 5, 2013 at 1:03pm   
Shawn
Fair point. I'll probably just leave them until last and save them for a different discussion.
May 5, 2013 at 1:05pm   
Great idea, Shawn. It will be easier to help you when we see more photos of what you've been doing.
May 5, 2013 at 1:31pm   
Shawn
I think I'm good now. Thank you both for your suggestions; I think I'll use chelsea grey (I had a BM colour swatch on hand incidentally) and it matches both the furniture and my current wall colour very well. Once I've done that and finished the remaining pieces of my bedroom set I'll get some bedding that ties it all together then and then get some door pulls.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!
May 5, 2013 at 2:15pm   
Determining paint for exterior door and side lights
What factor(s) determine painting exterior door and...
Curtain height in room with high, vaulted ceiling?
The ceilings in our guest room are incredibly high...
I am lost. Please help with this room...
I feel like the couches need to be centered because...
What do you miss most about your parent's house?
It could be a particular piece of furniture, the smell,...
Need Stylish Storage
Our family of 5 needs more storage in our very small...