Need help family room
pan11
Purchasing a house which has the built in in family room. Need ways to figure out how to keep this room simple yet modern and not place too many items in the room.
pan11
Also what would be a nice paint for the room. This room has lots of natural light.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 2:13PM
pan11
...
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 3:49PM
pan11
I am not sure of the tv can be mounted with the window above the fireplace. How hard would it be to remove the built in?
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 4:06PM
Jayme H.
How much do you plan to change? I am guessing this isn't your furniture? What colors are your furniture/and what colors for walls do you like? Is that floor a tannish with grey in it?
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 4:08PM
mamao1956
What about putting the tv against the wall and flipping the sofa to the side where the tv is now, facing the wall?
2 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 4:08PM
CDR Design
Gorgeous windows. Thank you for allowing me to comment.

Please do not put the tv on the wall with windows and fireplace. I have questions before I begin:

1) Is this your furniture? If so, do you want to keep all of it?

2) If not, what does it look like?

3) Are those casegoods on either side of the fireplace built in? It seems they are covering the windows.

4) Can you show us pictures as other angles?

Thanks much!
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 4:28PM
pan11
Thank u all. This is not my furniture currently we have
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 4:30PM
pan11
Dark brown leather sofa. Actually in the built in there is a place for tv which is behind the tv stand but it only fits 42 in tv. There is a nice glass sliding door over looks the pool and brings lots of natural light. I am not at the house now but can get a different view later.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 4:34PM
Looking at the tile, I'd suggest you consider a shade of greige for your paint. Then your furnishings can kick up the color quotient since lots of great accent colors work with greige.
1 Like   May 5, 2013 at 4:36PM
HERE Design and Architecture
If you want it to be modern, I would remove the fireplace surround and the cabinetry and replace it cabinetry and shelving that was integrated and horizontal. You could park the tv in some of that cabinetry. The arcs are unusual but I like them. They do something great with the light.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 4:40PM
pan11
Here and design not sure if I understand. So remove the built in cabinets around the fireplace? Is it possible?
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 4:47PM
CDR Design
Paint: I like decoenthusiaste idea of greige on the walls. Please paint the ceiling greige also, or 1/2 the greige and paint the ceiling that color. The ceiling is a surface many people ignore. Also, in this case, the beautiful arched piece is lost, because the ceiling is white.

Tv: place on the wall to the right of the built-in

Couch: place a couch and 2 chairs in an L shape, 2 chairs facing tv, couch facing window (I am assuming the doors to pool are to the left of the fireplace

fireplace: this a a great showpiece, but it needs help. If possible, remove the shelves only. The bookshelves the same height as the fireplace are taking away from the fp being the focal point.

If possible, remove the shelves only and make what will then be seats into window seats with a cushion. Paint the fireplace wood only a dark expresso in gloss.

Ballard Designs has a lot of arched mirrors. Find an arched mirror that mimics the window arches and place on the wall opposite the window (the one we cannot see).

Stay with expresso and greige and add texture in your pillows and accents.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 4:49PM
pan11
Great suggestion cdrdesign. So across fireplace is a kitchen which opens to family room. See picture attached. And yes the sliding door is left of the fireplace. Is it possible to remove book shelves only from the built in? How do u make it into a siting area. Also so nook and kitchen should they be same color as living room? Great advice.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 5:03PM
HERE Design and Architecture
Yes, it is certainly possible to replace the cabinets, pilasters, mantel, stone, screen, etc. You might be able to just change the doors on the cabinets and add onto the fronts of the shelves, so that the horizontal lines are more prominent, but I think it would be important to integrate it with the design of a new fireplace surround.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 5:12PM
HERE Design and Architecture
Looking at your other pics, this is an interesting house with nice sculptural qualities that looks like it got cutified. I think you could clean it up and it would be really beautiful.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 5:15PM
pan11
Yea that's what we feel but not sure where to start. Here are few more pictures of pool and entrance. Any one know of a good designer in Orlando area?
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 5:27PM
HERE Design and Architecture
Did you try the Pro Finder?
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 5:30PM
Ed
Hi Pan, Deco, CDR, is this a kind of greige ? Sherwin-Williams SW 7509 Tiki Hut --
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 5:41PM
Ed
Hi Pan, Sherwin-Williams SW 6076 Turkish Coffee --
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 5:44PM
Ed
Hi Pan, (along Deco's first photo) Sherwin-Williams SW 7034 Status Bronze--
1 Like   May 5, 2013 at 5:47PM
Ed
Hi Pan, similar to your current color, maybe a bit darker? Sherwin-Williams SW 2801 Rookwood Dark Red --
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 5:54PM
Ed
Hi Pan, actually your current color looks nice. Close to this one? Sherwin-Williams SW 6062 Rugged Brown --
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 6:00PM
CDR Design
Pan,

FYI, if you have endless money and time, you could change the entire fp area and make it much more contemporary. However, I think just painting and doing what I suggested will make a world of difference and it will look very sleek.

I fee sure that the fp and the bookcases are separate pieces and a carpenter should be able to separate them. Do you see how the bookcases are dwarfing the fireplace and not making it the centerpiece it should be?

Now, look at the bookcases. Do you see how there is a top and a bottom? The top is a bookcase. The bottom are cabinets. So, imagine you could remove only the bookcase portion from the pieces. What you would have left would be the bottom (the cabinets). Then those could become window seats, upon which you could place cushions and pillows (a reading nook/window seat).

Then, the fireplace would stand out also. One final thing I would suggest if you can make this happen. Since the chimney surround is a trim piece (wood), I think you need pilasters on the ends of the window frames to sort of anchor the ends. See what I mean? I looks like the chimney is holding up the "angels wings" and they can tip over at any minute.

If you cannot remove the bookcases without the cabinets also, then I would remove the entire bookcase/cabinets units. If they can be saved, you can have them installed on the wall to the right of fp (wall with single door) and use them to put on either side of you tv.

I think if you do those things and change around some cosmetic stuff (bye bye wallpaper in kitchen/maybe change some light fixtures) your place will be fantastic. You don't have to spen a tone of money.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 3:28AM
pan11
One last question cdrdesign. Does the family room need an accent wall? If I pick a color should I also paint the arc the same color or should leave them white?! You have given me some great advices. Thank u so much.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 3:57AM
pan11
Also another question how can I make this entry a bit more nicer. Defiantly removing the carpet but not sure of I should go with hardwood or tile since hall way is already tiled what type of furniture can I use in the formal living. The furniture in the picture is not ours so will be purchasing new furniture along with how to color the room.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 4:03AM
pan11
Here is the color I thinking for family room. What do u think? Should I paint cabinets different color then white? Also how about nook and kitchen?
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 4:12AM
CDR Design
I am not big on accent walls, except in huge spaces like a hotel. If you paint the fireplace an expresso, you will have a lot of oomph. You could consider painting the drywall of the arches different shades of taupe, sort of like they did with the diff colors of salmon.

This is open to the family room, right?

My guess is if that you arrange this like a traditional living room and dining room, it will become a dead space that no one uses. Your activity is going to be in the family room and pool and kitchen.

Easy things would be to remove the fake plants and remove the drapes. That window seat is awesome! A cushion for that for sure.

Does the lr open up to the pool area?

So, let's think about what you would like to have. Do you want an office? Do you want this to be an away room.....a nice area where you could go to read? How about putting something in there like a pool table?

If you need another room, you could actually consider closing it off.

I am just saying, before you spend $ on furntiure.......I guarantee you if there is no purpose for the space, no one will go in there.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 4:20AM
CDR Design
I think that color of paint would work. I would paint the whole area one color. I would leave the cabinets white for now. You will have plenty of expenses and I would spend my dollars on what is really needed. For example, new light fixtures.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 4:23AM
pan11
The formal living is as soon as you enter the house. We do not have an office and the formal living does not open to the pool just has the view of the pool. It does connect to the nook and family room. What I had considered was converting the formal living into formal dinning and using dining room area as sitting. But I am not creating to know if that Would work. Here is a picture of formal dinning. It seems to be very small. And like u said defiantly light fixtures need to get changes as well as nice paint. Oh also the window done not have enough space to convert to sitting may it about 5-6 in in length.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 4:36AM
CDR Design
Yes, that is what I was thinking....make the entry area a little sitting area.....but make it comfortable....I would make it like a small library with bookcases and board games.

For the lr (that you want to make to a dr, that is a great idea.....as long as you would use it. One thing you might want to consider down the line is to put a door in the window area. That way, if you have guests over, it would be sort of an extension of the pool for those who might want to sit inside. Also, you could open up the doors to the pool. Do you know what nano door are?
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 4:54AM
pan11
I have never heard of nano door. Since nook area is small when there is family over we will defiantly be using the dining room. Pool table is a nice idea but it might take away from the dinning space when we have family over.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 5:33AM
pan11
Just looked up nano doors and that is what we have in family room. Glass doors that slide open all the way. But in the current formal living that I would converting to dining has only window. Plus what is a better option hardwood or tiles since there are tiles in the entry and hallway.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 5:36AM
CDR Design
I am saying you could eventually replace window in dining room (let's call it that----you will be using as that) with a nano door.......or is there someway you could open it up directlly to the kitchen......that would also be a good idea.

Is there wall to wall carpet in the dining room? If so, I do not recommend you replace it with a flooring that is different from the rest of your first floor. It will look choppy.

The tile in there now is a little dated, but acceptable. What I would do is to wait till you decide to redo the whole area (kitch, fam room etc and redo it all at one time). If that time is now, great!

I would go with tile, not wood (because you have a pool). There are also tiles that look like wood.
If you can do it prior to moving in, it would save a big headache down the line.

Many products out there!!!
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 5:54AM
CDR Design
The more I look at your paint choice, it is too gray for the tile (assuming you keep the tile). You should pick more of a gray/beige. Benjamin Moore Thunder AF-685 or Behr Perfect Taupe UL260-8 are good choices.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 9:01AM
pan11
Yes i do like both options. So would u recommend I do that throughout entrance kitchen living and family room and both nook and the dinning area?!
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:06PM
pan11
Before we move in we would like get the floors and paint completed. Of course removing tiled and placing new ones are expensive is there a way around that?! If not are there any particular tiles that are better then others?!
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:08PM
CDR Design
Paint:

Yes, paint the entire area that color. It is very open and you want it clean and modern you said. There will be plenty of opportunity to accessorize and make each room unique.

Make sure it goes well with your countertops also. Bring some color cards in from a paint store and look at them next to the countertops......or you can get several color cards and place them on the counter, take a picture and houzzers will let you know what is best choice.

You will not be sorry you painted!

Floors: Go to a good tile store and they will be able to show you all of your options. I think you are best to stick with tile.

This is a large area and will be expensive to retile. No, there is no cheap and easy way to retile that I know of. I honestly don't think the tile is offensive and it looks like the tile is in good shape. It would not be my first choice, but in the scheme of things.......
You might want to spend your dollars purchasing some awesome area rugs. The ones they have in there now aren't doing the home justice.

How about this: measure your square footage (approximately). Then take your sq ft to the tile store. I don't know prices in Orlando. They can tell you how much you will have to pay for just the tile itself (for an average priced tile, say). Then, you will have to hire a pro tile guy. They will have referrals. They can also give you a price for that. So, then you have your facts and prices and can decide if your want to spend that money now

Kitchen hardware: you can make a big splash by changing the hardware to something that goes really well with your countertops. Very inexpensive change for your $.

Let us know what you decide and if we can help further.

Great house!
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:30PM
pan11
Forgot to ask what would be a good paint for the Ceiling. Keep it just white?
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 1:39PM
CDR Design
No. I like to paint the same color as walls. Some people aren't comfortable with that, so then I say "1/2" the paint......meaning you tell the painter to mix half white/half your wall color and paint the ceiling that color.

So, you have the same tone as the walls, but it is a lighter shade.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 2:01PM
pan11
Thanks so much will be posting new pictures as we progress.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 8:07PM
CDR Design
That would be great! Would love to see the transformation.
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 3:11AM
Like the Stone Harbor - will go with the tile and be warm. Are you staying so formal as to want to retain the window treatment at the bay? There are many more timely styles you could do there.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 6:11PM
pan11
Sorry but what is stone harbor? I am not sure what to do with window treatment. What type of recommendations do you have?
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 5:58AM
Stone Harbor is the paint color from Benjamin Moore suggested and sample posted by pan11 four days ago. Hard to keep up, isn't it?These projects can really fly by. You might want to reread the comments, including your own. Simple stationary panels, no scallops, valances or swags, are most popular right now. Is your window recessed or a bay?
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 2:00PM
CDR Design
Pan.....you would be wise to keep a binder with all of your ideas, including paint chips. Alternatively, or in addition, you can keep an idea board. This way you can easily access all of the info you need. So, when you go to the tile store, for example, you will have with you your chosen paint chip. Otherwise, it will become overwhelming.

My recommendation for the bay window would be first to simply remove the existing scalloped drapes. That will be an improvement already.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 4:04PM
pan11
Work in progress
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 4:37AM
CDR Design
I love it!!!! Now you have cozy window seats.
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 5:30AM
pan11
Need help with accent furniture. Need more color to the room
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 9:56AM
CDR Design
Photos are dark. Hard to see. Also, what is that cabinet thing on the right side of the photo on left?

You probably have too much furniture in the room. I just think that 2 couches is a bit much for that room. I am thinking:

tv on wall directly across from sliding doors
2 chairs facing tv (do you have any or could you buy some)?
couch facing fireplace
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 10:07AM
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 10:21AM
Need help with designing porch off of family room & family room
The rooms connect and doors are left opened most of...
Mildred Timme
Family Room - Need Help Decorating/Furnishing this Family Room
The room is a light gray color with white trim, hardwood...
kcrooke
Modern Family needs help with BORING Family Room in new house
We sold our super stylish/hip mid century modern home...
jkland
Need help converting living room into a more contemporary tv room/family room.
We want a family room that's stylish and comfortable....
Margo Marks
need help divididing grand room to living room an family room
At the moment I have one extra large living room and...
plafosse
Final steps of a kid’s room design development. Options-finalists.
Here is the final design of the kid’s room… Yet...
Vanguard development LA
Modernize plain master bath
I'm looking to update our plain master bath. The main...
ashleyjgood
I need an advice or suggestions for the color and design of my curtain
Small 70 sq m flat.. Attached find the bed and the...
pipo1963
Need ideas for a small house flexible floor plan.
I'm in the process of designing a small house.When...
Ewart Ruth
chandelier size
How big of a chandelier do we need for a stair case...
murbanek