Need help with decorating ideas above cabinets
bradyeilertson
I am renting an apartment and the space above the cabinets is so boring. Any ideas for how I can decorate?
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 11:01AM
bradyeilertson
Rustic/vintage
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 11:03AM
PH Interiors, LLC
Please don't! It is a look that is outdated (at last) and a dustcatcher. Instead, add some color with countertop accessories - not a lot, just a few vibrant large plates on the wall or cool colored appliances (coffee maker) for example.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 11:05AM
mycocoland
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo°pool99999999opop09oloyoo...oou9o.89@lo.@"99.o
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 11:08AM
Virtus Design
Agree with @PHInteriors! A few simple countertop accessories would be a better option than adding anything to the top of the cabinets.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 11:15AM
InteriorDesignToGo.com
The black appliances are extremely prominent against the light maple cabinets and light tile. Since you like rustic/vintage I would suggest working with black iron accents. Replace the fluorescent fixture with a black iron chandelier or chandelier pot holder combination. Try antique shops to find something great without the expense. To buy something new would be pricey for a good one and look cheap for an inexpensive one. Since you have a lot of space look for a wonderful antique free standing piece that is finished on all four sides that could serve as an island or work table. Look for something that has weight to it, that is somewhat bulky or curved to break up all the straight lines that you have going on in there. Maybe a worn, distressed red wood finish. Can you tile the back splash? If not choose a paint that will complement your center island/table that you find. Remember to use a semi-gloss or cleanable surface. You need a rich color. Next, upgrade the cabinet hardware, you need something with personality, something that lends itself to the rustic/vintage look that you want. Again, I'm thinking iron or maybe bronze something hefty that makes a statement. If you want to go all out paint the cabinets, take the doors off the uppers and showcase your collectable kitchenware. At the least paint the kickboard under the bottom cabinets black. Whatever you do don't use any silk plants on top of the upper cabinets. I would not stuff that area full, but use a few well chosen accents that you find in your travels that have meaning for you.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 11:20AM
patricia1971
You're renting right? So no painting, tiling etc. A cute area carpet, artwork and appliances is all you need. Agree with above about that look being really outdated.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 11:29AM
carolins
Don't put anything on top of the cabinets. However, you could put a ropelight up there to illuminate the space at night. Will make it nice. Will have to go the entire length of the cabinets though.
A rug and a person decoratively draped on the floor will liven up the space ;-) Well, at least a rug will. Just anything to make it more interesting under the top of the cabinets level.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 11:36AM
You need your ideas to decorate above kitchen cabinets
We recently bought a new house and are looking to decorate...
Brooke Selby
Need help with decorating the area above the kitchen cabinets
I used to have a lot of items above my kitchen cabinets...
podinkus
Need help with decor above cabinets and on counters
I recently remodeled my kitchen and I am not sure what...
pjweiss
Need help decorating above kitchen cabinets
I have kitchen cabinets with no bulkhead above, but...
peters55
Need help with decor above cabinets in kitchen
I have a large kitchen, and approx 2 ft between the...
millerclaire
Smart tiles
Has anyone used smart tiles, the ones you basically...
allisongarber
What do people think of low divide sinks. Elkay makes one
What do people think of low divide sinks like Elkay...
paulabrennan
Kitchen Floor "Brazilian Green" Porcelain Tile?
I'm trying to decide if I want to change the tile on...
diyher
Need help for my living room!
Our living room is very long, with two openings and...
jenellison7
Need paint color ideas for basement
I just ordered new berber carpet for the basement that...
bedzykbunch