Need closet/wall ideas!
juliemag
This is the view when you walk in the front door of my home. I hate closet doors! Unfortunately, I can't eliminate the closet. Any ideas?
carolins
Different doors or painting these ones in a colour of your (beautiful) painting.
May 6, 2013 at 12:11pm     
Shawn Osborne Darley
I
May 6, 2013 at 12:21pm   
looks like random photos of family
May 6, 2013 at 12:34pm   
juliemag
I love the barn door look but I need something a bit more formal. I was thinking of the sliding track concept with interesting wood panels painted or wallpapered.
May 6, 2013 at 12:44pm     
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
I would totally do a door change. The image above would be stunning!
May 6, 2013 at 12:46pm     
Angelina Vick
I like the doors. It also has a coastal feel that goes well with your space.

What if you painted that whole wall? Make it an accent wall? You could leave the doors white, or paint them to another shade that would match your painting.
May 6, 2013 at 12:50pm     
armygirl1987
I typed in sliding track concept with wood panel and came up with
Rocky Ledge Dining Room
Dwyer Design
Living Room
May 6, 2013 at 12:56pm     
Creations by Alno, Inc.
I love your decor. How about a pocket door?Contemporary Home Office by Denver Design-build GRUBER HOME REMODELING
May 6, 2013 at 1:16pm   
Creations by Alno, Inc.
Contemporary Home Office by Denver Design-build GRUBER HOME REMODELING
May 6, 2013 at 1:16pm   
leelee
I don't know what you're going to accomplish by changing the view of one type of door for another. Everyone has closet doors. How much are you willing to spend to not see your closet? You most likely enter your home from the garage. Could be that visitors that come in the front think nothing about the view.
May 6, 2013 at 1:37pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
You might paint the closet doors and the wall around them a darkish neutral color and then hang a small piece of artwork over the wing chair. That will make it harder to see what is in the hallway and further draw our attention to the foreground.
May 6, 2013 at 1:41pm     
HERE Design and Architecture
You might also relocate the light fixture so that it doesn't highlight the closet door.
May 6, 2013 at 1:42pm     
leelee
Plaster up the hole and move the art over the offending area (which is now a wall). Now put a new entrance where the pictures were hanging. Hopefully there are no closet doors behind the new opening.
May 6, 2013 at 1:42pm   
armygirl1987
How can she close of the closet that she clearly stated that she needs.
May 6, 2013 at 1:47pm   
leelee
She's not closing the closet just moving the opening to get to the closet. The closet would be completely intact just as it is now--doors and all. She'd have to walk a few more steps but she has a closet door phobia and with a new opening to the right of her opening now she wouln't have to look at the doors.
May 6, 2013 at 3:18pm   
Keitha
You could simply install doors in the existing opening and keep them closed as much as possible to camouflage the unsightly hallway. Something like the frosted glass doors in Angela's picture above but maybe hinged instead of sliders..... Here's another nice style to consider?
May 6, 2013 at 3:30pm     
juliemag
I love that idea!
May 6, 2013 at 6:00pm     
It's a Beautiful World!
Julie, from the visual perspective, unless a new door you install is very attractive to look at (similar to the one Keitha suggested) it will still be just a door.

Personally, I would just hang more colorful art pieces on both sides of the opening and also add a matching rug for more colors. Brighter colors and more interesting designs in art and rug will distract from the closet door, the door will just become a neutral background for the art and the rug... Raisa
May 6, 2013 at 6:34pm     
juliemag
Thanks Raisa - good point
May 7, 2013 at 6:55am   
nikitasmom
Since barndoor style hanging is taken I will toss in the secret door bookcase option.

May 7, 2013 at 8:14am     
juliemag
I've never heard of that!
May 7, 2013 at 9:37am   
carolins
There's also wallpaper that looks like a library. You could do that on a sliding door.
May 7, 2013 at 10:07am   
California Closets
Maybe if you like what is in your closet space more then you wouldn't need the doors at all? What is in there? Care to share? Take a look at a few of our projects. Maybe no doors with a nice solution to your storage needs can also be an option. A closet can be something to show off.
May 7, 2013 at 10:12am   
juliemag
You don't want to know - it's not pretty. It backs up to a bathroom, in the future we may use the closet space to expand.
May 7, 2013 at 11:00am     
California Closets
Right on. Well then I am a fan of the secret passage way idea!
May 7, 2013 at 11:03am   
tlsq
You could stand a tall potted tree just on the left of the opening which would draw the eye back into the room. The opening is big enough to accommodate one.

Or stand a 3 panel screen in that location, maybe painted in a similar style as your painting.

I love the secret bookcase idea but I think I'd do it more like a mirror with wide wood trim around it so it didn't take up too much hall space.
May 7, 2013 at 11:25am   
Larrys Photo Art
I like the door design Keitha suggested. Your art work does a good job in blending but if you want to be a bit more bold or make a statement I have many images that you might like. I added two subtle ideas as example on your wall.
May 7, 2013 at 12:38pm   
nikitasmom
A secret door could have the shelves built into the closet instead of into the hallway. Check out pininterest to see more of those and for other ideas. http://pinterest.com/batfan11/secret-passages-hidden-doors/
May 7, 2013 at 1:12pm   
mpoulsom
How about mirrored doors with an ornate trim/frame on top of the existing wood trim painted to look like a formal fancy pants mirror! :)

and sorry I didn't read all posts, so this may be a "repeat" suggestion.
May 7, 2013 at 1:37pm     
Frishta Khuram
lol i was about to say the same thing
May 7, 2013 at 1:43pm   
mpoulsom
]

not the perfect example, but maybe you can get the gist...I'll keep looking for a pic. I have friend that has a door in her bedroom that is one solid piece of mirror that is door size, with door molding around it and the door just disappears basically...looks like you are looking into the next room, but it's a reflection of her room. Looks gorgeous!
May 7, 2013 at 1:44pm     
mpoulsom
still cannot find exactly what I've seen, but some other examples with mirrored doors....
and one other idea since you need the closet for storage...you could always take the existing doors off and put a beautiful armoire or something inside the closet to fit it and still have storage space.
May 7, 2013 at 1:55pm   
nikikola
The first photo from mpoulsom is a very Good idea.
May 7, 2013 at 2:20pm   
Modernus has some fabulous sliding barn doors. Do one of these and make it a piece of art:
May 7, 2013 at 2:24pm   
juliemag
mpoulsom - I love the big mirror idea, I've actually been looking for a leaner but due to the size, I'd have to get a custom one. The only mirrored doors I've seen are the mirrored bifold - not my style. Where did your friend get her mirror?
May 7, 2013 at 3:08pm   
mpoulsom
Her brother is an interior decorator and he probably had it custom cut.....but i swear to you it was worth what ever she paid to have it done! ha! It's done perfectly and seriously looks like you would be walking into another room. I am an artist and am very observant....and it fooled me.

Would you possibly consider having someone cut out the louvered part of your existing doors and inserting mirror into those spaces? I don't think that would look bad if done right.
May 7, 2013 at 3:15pm   
mpoulsom
I know that IKEA makes a large leaning mirror for a reasonable price.....maybe you could use the mirror out of one of those. I don't know what size they are right off the bat, but they could possible work as doors too....Just don't know about the weight either with the frame they come with?????
May 7, 2013 at 3:20pm   
mpoulsom
here's a home goods leaner mirror....
and an ikea leaner mirror, STAVE which is 27 1/2 inches by 63 inches (for only $49.99 I might add).....

another idea would be to use whatever leaning mirror you can find that would fit height wise and then have a solid wood door next to it that was skinnier. Both doors don't have to be the same width or material, in my book anyway. And this may even work better for you in your situation because the closet doors are not centered on your opening to begin with....hhmmmmmmmmmmm
May 7, 2013 at 3:33pm   
Genevieve
A French door would be my choice either with glass that is etched or a solid one like this one

]
May 7, 2013 at 3:38pm   
Another from Modernus:
May 7, 2013 at 4:44pm   
Rustica Hardware
You could use byparting doors and hardware for the opening into the hallway. These have a formal look to them. With the hardware you could hang just about any door that would fit your living room design. See: http://rusticahardware.com/bi-parting-barn-door-hardware-system/
May 8, 2013 at 3:26pm   
kitasei
How about placing a round pedestal table with a beautiful bowl of flowers between the entrance door and the closet area. That would define a foyer, and put the closets and the hallway it is on where they belong - in the background. And don't you need a table to lay down keys or mail when you enter? Make it a visual and functional focal point.
May 8, 2013 at 3:34pm   
pcmom1
The thing that bothers me about your entry view is that the doors that you see are off center with the opening into the hallway. An easy fix would be to place a tall, stunning palm in a large ceramic container to the right side of the opening, next to the painting.

Or you could hang drapery panels at the opening to block the area of wall that you see to the right of the closets. Something simple, even the fringed burlap panels carried by Ballard Designs.
May 8, 2013 at 3:53pm   
Sharon
OMG! I want your art!
May 9, 2013 at 3:00am     
juliemag
Sharon, thanks - I got the artwork from Etsy.
May 9, 2013 at 3:16pm     
Amy Canary
Change the closet doors to something more traditional and then focus on the room you enter. A round table or large ottoman or something that makes sense for the room and how you use it. Move the focal point.
May 16, 2013 at 11:55am   
Shawn Osborne Darley
I
May 20, 2013 at 6:56pm   
Need ideas in boxy cape, have closet/wall in between kitchen/dining
Closet and wall in between kitchen and dining area....
Need ideas for shoe shelves/racks for a closet under stairs
I need a solution for my shoes. What have you used...
i need ideas to build my masters closet.
I need help with masters closet my capenter is ready...
Need Ideas for Kitchen Closet Space
I have a 10' x 6' x 9' space (pocket door) off my kitchen...
adding closet to a bedroom, need ideas
Need to add a closet to a room. ideas?
80's ranch needs update
What color would you suggest for the clap board ?The...
Need help thinking about my windows valance
I'm unsure if we should keep this valance or change...
Living Room Help
I just started putting our more formal living room...
whole house finishes
1988-doors, molding & trim in honey oak in all rooms....
Front door colour
I'm stuck with these house colours for awhile. Soft...