Need help picking a kitchen cabinet color!
Tiffany Carroll
I am in the process of getting my kitchen cabinets, trim and doors painted throughout the house. My previous home had SW Dover White cabinets, and they were okay, but I am wondering what the best color is for trim and cabinets now (we painted previous home in 2008). Went to a parade of homes yesterday and saw that Alabaster was used in several homes as well as Dover White. I am wondering what SW Marshmallow would look like. I have typhoon bordeaux granite. I am going to be adding crown molding to the cabinets as well as the walls in the kitchen, dining, and living room since they are all open to each other. I have to find a paint color as well for the walls that will match the granite...any suggestions, I will be using Sherwin Williams. The picture is the day they were putting in the granite. I tried to get used to the stained cabinets, but I can't - they've gotta go so...oh, and I am taking the upper cabinets out above the island area and putting in mini pendant lighting.....so, please recommend your favorite Sherwin Williams cabinet/trim/door color and wall color (want neutral but still up to date and match the granite.)
A. Peltier Interiors
You really have a ton of choices. All of those whites you named from Sherwin William's will work great. If you want to go that route you can do a nice warm grey on the walls such as SW Wool Skein #6148. I also love Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter #172. If you want to use a SW color, just go to the store and ask them to mix that one up.
You can also reverse that coloring and do a grey on the cabinets, like SW Dorian Grey #7017 and then the walls can be a warmer creamier color like SW Accessible Beige SW 7036.
Hope that helps and the counters look really nice!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 12:35PM
Tiffany Carroll
I guess I should have noted that the color isn't completely accurate in the pic...it actually has quite a bit of green and tans in it, not so much towards the gray - I think that would really contrast. Here are a few, but I can't quite seem to narrow it down from here: Harmonic Tan, Ecru, Macadamia, Basket Beige, Nomadic Desert., Whole Wheat. I am the WORST at picking out paint colors. I know what I want in my head, but can't quite seem to find it. I forgot, I also need a paint color for the ceiling as they are taking out the uppers, retaping and floating the ceiling (right now it just a basic white, but I'd like it to look more updated than that)...
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 12:50PM
The cabinets are dated. Why don't you reface them? Painting on wood doesn't always work can chip. Love your granite color. It has gray in it. I would do a glass gray, black, white long tile back splash. If not refacing. Sand and stain a blue gray. Wall in pewter by Ben Moore. You can get any color chip from any paint co. And they can match. So go look at other ones too. Why go boring shades of white. Very safe but boring. Also paint all rooms that can be seen from this rm same color. Great idea to remove cab over bar pendent lites in a color to match backsplash would be idea.
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 12:56PM
Tiffany Carroll
We bought my parent's house and they actually had them refaced in the last 10-15 years, so not too terribly old, but you're right - still dated. Unfortunately, not enough in the budget to reface them right now. With the granite, all new appliances (not installed yet) and other work (all new interior doors) - painting is really our best option for our money. Our painter is very reputable (painted my parent's entire new house) and came highly recommended, he is going to sand them down. Safe, yes, that's me! I am always scared to step out of my comfort zone. That is why all my houses have tended to look the same.... :-( I have already purchased 3x6 travertine tiles to use for the backsplash. The home is very traditional - not so contemporary. Any pics you would have to help me visualize your ideas? I am the worst at visualizing...hence my dilemma!
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 1:06PM
A Crew of Two
What about an antiqued white?
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 1:26PM
Tiffany Carroll
This pic is what I am kinda going for....our kitchen has a nearly identical layout as far as door and appliances...
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 1:30PM
Tiffany Carroll
Very safe...but am I updating to an outdated look?
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 1:36PM
Tiffany Carroll
What about sherwin williams macadamia for walls, creamy for the cabinets, trim and doors and then the very top shade on that swatch for the ceiling? This was what my sister suggested...
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 5:48PM
zennifer
I like your pic, and I think if you like it you should go for it!
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:05PM
Tiffany Carroll
Another question, I am debating between SW Creamy and Dover White and have kinda decided to go with SW Macadamia for the walls and the ceiling will be Moderate White (the top color on the Macadamia color swatch) - what color cabinet pulls would you go with - brushed nickel or oil rubbed bronze? I am leaning more toward the oil rubbed bronze, but not 100% yet...
    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 6:33AM
Need help picking a cabinet color for my kitchen!!!
We are in the process of building a house and I want...
tktaylor09
need help picking color for walls kitchen cabinets and trim
I would like to use gray owl for kitchen cabinets wall...
corletta
need help picking stain colors for my kitchen
My kitchen floor and cabinets are both oak. I want...
mlse
Tired of the remodel and need help to pick kitchen cabinets and floori
We are finally at the end of our 8 month remodel after...
jdeweese
need help deciding what floor color goes with the cabinet I've picked for my kitchen
I've picked Adel medium brown cabinetsa from ikea and...
sjmeads
Fireplace wall bummer!
Fireplace wall has got to go. Really need ideas. Would...
Karen M
Ugliest house on the street
Hate my veranda it's only big enough for two. Would...
sunnysideforever
Updating exterior?
Anyone have advice on updating the exterior? We would...
Andrea M.
Help me with this mirrored wall.
We are renovating a beach condo and there's a full...
joycealtmann
looking for ideas to dress up the outside of my house
I just bought my wife her dream home and we are trying...
bswets