Need advise about the esthetics of installing a new hardwood floor near an old hardwood floor .
mmcguin627
Would like to install a hardwood floor in my renovated kitchen. But adjacent rooms have hardwood floors also. It is original, a mixture of oak woods and by now is rather golden in color. Would I worry about match ing the color of the new to old floors?
Cabin John Builders
There are a lot of variables at play in your specific case, but here are a few general suggestions. From a design side I would either make sure the floors match well or intentionally make some contrast between the rooms using color or texture (aka pattern/size of wood). In my opinion "almost" matching can lead to something looking like a mistake while a different color or design looks like an intentional choice.

To get the best continuous match through out you need to have a good wood floor company or carpenter get matching wood to install in the kitchen and "tooth-in" where the joints intersect between the kitchen and the appropriate rooms. Then refinish all the areas that are affected. Keep in mind this often to lead to extensive refinishing unless there are good transition points as joining old dry poly and newly applied poly can lead to an unattractive visible line. This is a job where an experienced pro will make a difference in the final look. Get samples put down to make sure the color is right if you do try to match.
May 6, 2013 at 5:32PM     
Old House - New Hardwood and Old Hardwood Floors
We just purchased a 1930s Cape Cod. The majority of...
Adding new hardwood to old hardwood flooring
When we built our house, we put 2 14 inch hardwood...
can we put new hardwood on a 50 year old hardwood floor
We r about to buy a house and it is 50 yr old. The...
Need hardwood floor refinisher near Chicago
Can anyone recommend a good hardwood floor refinisher...
Salvaged hardwood flooring and trim to new floors and installed trim.
Here are the before and after photos. The in-between...
Need help with my kitchen table and granite top
I purchased a kitchen table the exact same size as...
Shelf Liner for new cabinets?
It has been a long time since I bought shelf lining,...
Living room design
We want to get rid of the entertainment center in our...
color remorse
How does this look? Repaint or like it?
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...