Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allthat247365

House needs a bit of curb appeal help. Would you paint the brick white? Or replace with updated stone? Add

allthat247365
10 years ago
1978 Colonial with aluminum siding and partial brick facade and two large bay windows on a nice cul-de-sac.

Comments (9)

• elcieg
    10 years ago
    I think that everyone thinks their house needs to be updated..Not so , IMO.

You have a beautiful center entrance with a hip roof. I don't care for your vinyl shutters. If those were gone, it may give you a new vision.
  • decofriend
    10 years ago
    I love your home! For an update, consider one of the new style garage doors with window panels interesting architectural details such as the carriage style. A new front door would be another consideration. If the shutters are vinyl, upgrade them too. I would like to replace the big corner shrub with a flowering tree under planted with bush hollies. This will provide more coverage of the end of the house plus some winter green.
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    I think the white brick would unify the look. Add some large coach lights & shutters on bays. Then paint front door red.
    French Colonial Residence · More Info
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    Pretty house! I wouldn't do anything with the brick, it looks very nice, and gives the house some interest and character. I would spend the money on a new garage door, as suggested by another poster. Right now that door is just a huge uninteresting expanse of white. A carriage or more traditional style with top lites and black hardware would be a huge transformation.
    I don't dislike the shutters although they are not sized quite right. But I would remove the shutters (I think that's what they are?) from your 'side' door. They serve no purpose, and are giving your service entrance more prominence than your front door. Paint your front door (and storm door) a pretty bright blue or teal. Let the service door receded into the background.
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    ^^^ I was thinking about a garage door something like this, although I'm sure the pros will have better ideas.
    http://houzz.com/photos/1814373

Also notice how the shutters are sized a little differently than yours which give them a more authentic look.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Agree. Start with a new garage door and paint doors then shutters. You may not find it necessary to paint brick.
  • SusanMac
    10 years ago
    Beautiful fall photo! Don't paint the brick.
  • PRO
    Clopay
    9 years ago
    Definitely think carriage house style garage doors with windows are the ticket to better curb appeal. Clopay offers two collections you may want to consider. The Gallery Collection and the Coachman Collection. Both are insulated steel and come in several colors with decorative windows and hardware. The Gallery has a grooved panel design; Coachman has several design options. Clopay also has a tool on the website you can use to upload a photo of your home and try on different door styles to see which looks the best. Visit www.clopay.com for more info. and to find a dealer in your area.
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!