Small cottage type. Needs help
geierjp
How do I landscape and what color to paint house and color for the door?
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
This house NEEDS real shutters! This is a classic Salt Box style home. Beautiful!!
2 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 7:28PM
geierjp
Will they fit?
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 7:30PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Might be tight fit at left windows, gotta throw a tape on the space between the windows! Good point
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 7:33PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
What's going on under the glass storm door? I see pink? I could see the traditional "Red" front door, classic dark green/black shutters, white on white body & trim. (If it was my house)!
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 7:35PM
blakeahart
I agree with Kevin, this house needs shutters! It will definitely help add interest to your home. As for the color palette for your home, I would stick with neutral colors for the siding and trim and add a pop of color for the front door (maybe purchase a new front door?...it makes a world of difference). Painting the siding light gray or beige and the trim white always looks fresh.
Cleaning up the landscape a bit and adding some shrubs and colorful flowers will also help make your house pop! If you want, add some window boxes filled with flowers to charm up your house. Lastly, adding a stone pathway to the front door will make your home look more inviting.
I added some pictures here to hopefully inspire you with your update. Good luck!
3 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 8:05PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
@bma1003, good call on the window boxes and landscape ideas, pocket fence seals the deal
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 8:10PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
"Picket" fence....
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 8:11PM
Hi, Kev,

Your cottage looks to me like Federal style....a workman's cottage. The ones I am familiar with run along the Charles River, In Cambridge Ma. Often painted just one color with no adornment (they were poor). Love, love you house.

Nathaniel Hawthorne's Birthplace

Exteriors

Exterior Paint Colors
2 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 8:17PM
nussear1
Agree with red front door...take off the old storm door and get a new one that is a full panel glass. Invest in a vintage door knocker (Like a lion head)

I see a medium to dark grey home with white trim and red front door...Tak out the old bushes you have and start fresh...you will never regret it....add fresh dirt, raise up your gardens and mulch... Invest in a few boxwoods.. Three on each side spaced evenly across the front to start...Then consider what you would like to layer in front of those..On one side I could see a park bench with two planters next to it....Leave your beds large enough for the bushes to grow and for room to put other things in with them.. (Get some grass seed down, fertilize it and edge your walk if you have to rent an edger...) Nothing prettier than a healthy green yard with fresh mulch....Such a cute house!!! Keep us posted!!
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 8:32PM
mcbriec
Although I like shutters, I think putting them in would look way too crowded on the left side of the house. As a personal matter, without reference to historical character or traditions, i.,e., saltbox vs. federal, I would beef up the moulding around the windows to add architectural interest. The problem with doing this is that there's very little space between the top of the pediment and the trim of the window above it. Perhaps a new pediment could have a slightly shallower angle and be a bit wider and not quite as tall. I think the house is totally charming and would look adorable with some great landscaping.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 8:49PM
mefor
Benjamin Moore historic color Nantucket grey for clapboard. Benjamin Moore featherbed for trim, black/green shutters. I wouldn't use the black green on front door, it looks like the entrance to a cave from the street. Either a fourth contrasting color or the featherbed would look good on door. If not removing screen door, paint it to match whatever color you paint the front door. My house is stone, those were the colors I used on house and outbuilding.
1 Like   May 7, 2013 at 5:03AM
mefor
Pictures, sorry the snow picture was taken through a screen, not too clear.
1 Like   May 7, 2013 at 5:10AM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I'd raise the house so its one level everywhere.
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 5:39AM
rinqreation
I kinda like the blue. I would not add shutters, because of the size, but I would add a bigger casement in a darker color. Two California Lilac's (ceanothus) sooth the blue. Here's a rough recolor:
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 6:57AM
rinqreation
And two more. I really like the one with the red front door and Rhododendrons.
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 6:58AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Hey judyg, Federal Style! You got it, not much call for that here on the West Coast! Looks just like the pics you posted...no shutters! Who wulda thunk!
1 Like   May 7, 2013 at 7:13AM
Brenda
I really like the color of the third exaple that Judy posted. Your home would look great in that taupey shade with a red door.
1 Like   May 7, 2013 at 7:28AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
How bout this to shake things up? "Oxblood" accent, taupe windows & cream white body?
2 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 7:46AM
nussear1
I think "JP" might want to consider the next door neighbors color schemes...they both look cream to me..."JP" what does the neighborhood feel like? Is it colorful or neutral in general? If your neighbors are both tan or cream, and other surrounding homes are neutral, maybe go more taupe or grey. If your other neighbors are bright, and your next door neighbors are the ones sprinkled in to break up the color...maybe pick a more vivid color. What do you think? Is your home in a historic district? Do they have any guidelines? Let us know what you decide!!
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 11:30AM
bluenan
I don't think there is enough room for shutters, I prefer the more simple look. I agree with judyg, go with a more American historic color, no bright blue or cobalt! Sorry, rinqreation.
1 Like   May 7, 2013 at 12:01PM
carolins
This is such a cute house. I'm just commenting to see how it works out. So, please post photos of progress.
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 12:21PM
CHISM BROTHERS PAINTING
Love your style of home! Lots of color options for painting. Here is one idea that keeps the body of the home traditional and lets the FRONT DOOR speak for itself:

Exterior Painting Projects 1 (I know these painters too...great work in Bay Area)

Exterior Painting Projects 2

I love shutters. Yet you have a lot of windows in the front. I think shutters will not fit well...and make it too crowded. Just by doing a color change and accenting your front door, you should be just fine!
2 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 12:30PM
carolins
White picket fence with roses and lavender.... sigh... lovely
1 Like   May 7, 2013 at 1:02PM
need help to decorate my small cottage
The living area is a large square with the kitchen...
Need help! I am trying to turn a small dormer in a cottage into a bath
The slope in the celings and walls are making it difficult...
I need help with redesigning a small wooden run down beach cottage,
It has 2 bedrooms, wooden and not painted, we need...
Mid 60's Split - Exterior Paint Help!
Hi all, We are trying to narrow down some paint choices...
Living Room/Dining Room Furniture and Design Ideas
I am looking for some ideas on a combination living...
Ugly fireplace
Help! Limited budget for this ugly fireplace! Paint?...
Need help for exterior of my lake house.
We purchased a retirement home at the lake. Now we...
I don't know what to do with my living/dining room
I want to put a huge art piece or something different...