Deck design
Chantel Eckert
May 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking for deck ideas. These front entry steps have been removed and the house is being sided in deep granite. Looking for deck design ideas for an approximately 10x10 composite deck with railing.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
lots of photo ideas in the search section.
May 7, 2013 at 8:07am     
PRO
Suzette Sherman Design
This is not the most flattering shot of a deck, since your house is much more attractive, but why have a rail? If the deck is a bit too high then add a long step parallel to the house and also on the left side. On the right have a clean wide open woven screen of wood. Use very large tall pots on both front corners. The driveway needs pea gravel and the green on the house needs a dark facade on the deck side to play off of. I see a wood clad texture with a dark stain.
May 7, 2013 at 8:23am     
PRO
Suzette Sherman Design
Here's an example of a screen I was thinking. Also the shutters should go and the white should be repainted. You can transform this to be a whole different house retaining the original feel but updating it into today's world.
May 7, 2013 at 8:30am     
PRO
Hiline Builders Inc.
If you would consider an alternative to composite I would suggest looking at IPE. This is a fantastic look and, unlike redwood, (and me), it's gets better looking with age- [houzz=
]
Also be aware that most local codes will require a railing if the deck is over 2' off the ground.
May 7, 2013 at 8:42am     
PRO
ArcWest Architects
You should consider how you want to use the fron deck ... Definitive sitting area with patio furnitire, or more of a formal entry. Then how do we shelter the space. Having a nice pas to land on is great, but nothing will make it feel more welcoming and comfortable then the canopy above. So is the canopy solid, a gabled extension of the roof potentially? Or more airy like a pergola where you have a sense of shleter, and some shade but still open to the sky. Once you review these considerations, I think the entry / deck will start to take form. All the best.
May 7, 2013 at 8:46am     
PRO
Hiline Builders Inc.
I also did a blog on decking design considerations a while back http://www.hilinebuilders.com/blog/2011/04/09/decking-design-considerations/
May 7, 2013 at 8:46am     
PRO
A Crew of Two
A deck on the front of the house? Did you mean to say porch or stoop? I am not a fan of decks on the front of houses unless it is just a wood step area you are looking for. I always found it odd to put patio furniture at the entry way unless you are putting in some natural privacy 'fences' like below. But that's just my preference. I agree with something low and no railings. Flip/Flop House(S) Cat Mountain
May 7, 2013 at 8:47am     
Chantel Eckert
Thanks for the tips, they were all helpful in answering questions we had. No rail, parallel to the house, color, material! Here are better photos of where we are this afternoon!
May 7, 2013 at 3:52pm