Need help decorating this living room..

lulupuffMay 6, 2013
I want to change the blue paint an I'm not really sure what to use as my focal point, the fireplace or the built in shelves. The irreplaceable is not centered which I find hard to work with my furniture is white any ideas out there?
Angelina Vick
The fireplace and built in shelves do not have to be the focal point. You can definitely use them if you want to, but you can make anything the focal point if you want to.

Can you take pics all the way around the room? And measure it...that will help people give you suggestions.

Meanwhile...what kind of colors do you like? What is your decorating style? And...what pieces of furniture do you have to work with or are you starting from scratch?

BTW, I don't think the size of that art is working with you fireplace.
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:12PM
In a room one usually uses either the window (with a view) or a fireplace. Shelves are not normally the focal point. For your white furniture you could always go a bold colour such as a deep rust or dark grey - these will work with your neutral bases.
Edwina Drummond Interiors · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:13PM
thomasjames123
I am not a professional but the fire place is some thing that draws the attention all the time what you could do to help with the offset is to use another piece if furniture i would use some thing in contrast in colour dont try to match the fireplace

I have in the past tried ignore the fireplace but on cold nights heres always that close eye attention
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:18PM
lulupuff
Here is the other side of the room. Then the other side is a large window that goes the length of the wall. Not my artwork just something left behind. Any suggestions for above the fireplace?
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:18PM
Can you take a picture of the other two sides please so we get an idea of spatial possibilities?
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:22PM
Angelina Vick
I'm an artist not an ID but I like the idea of using another piece of furniture to offset the fireplace.

There are SO many fireplace ideas...do you know what style of decor that you like?

You could go with a mirror, candlesticks, decorative glass, sculpture, art, a zillion directions. Knowing what you like can help with more specific ideas. =)
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:23PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
HI lulupuff, Marie here.
Find your inspiration - it can be a photograph of your dream room - it could be a toss cushion you saw at Home Sense, it could be your favorite painting.

Then use that inspiration point to set the tone for your colour palette.

The bookshelves and fireplace will need to take equal billing as both being focal points in the room - so treat each one with the same attention to detail - but don't over do it. Good Luck, and repost once you've found your inspiration item...
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:45PM
lulupuff
I love candle sticks but I think my style is more eclectic . What do you think for paint to replace the blue and do you thing a flat screen above the fireplace would look right?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:46PM
Angelina Vick
Eclectic! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! Me too....;)

I think...you need to think about what colors you love best. Even in an eclectic style, harmony is created with color palette's. If you want to...you could go with a very neutral color to start with, and let the accessories/art/lighting bring in the eclectic style.

I personally would want to pick my room colors before I paint, because wall colors are one of the least expensive ways to change and tie together a room.

Lots of people go with tv's above the fireplace. Personally, I would want to do that, I would be concerned about the heat damaging the tv, but that's just me.
    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:56PM
Ed
Hi Lulu -- Sherwin-Williams --
1. SW 6027 Cordovan
2. SW 6328 Fireweed ( along ASV's suggestion )
3. SW 6076 Turkish Coffee
4. SW 6236 Grays Harbor ( along ASV's suggestion )
    Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:42AM
Becca Darling
Is the entire room a living room or will it also have a dining room area? Please post photos of the white furniture and anything else you may want to use.
    Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:56AM
Becca Darling
I think I would like the hardware on the bookshelves/cabinet painted or replaced (if possible) with white.
    Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:58AM
momof5x
I would keep the focal point around the fireplace and a small sitting area ( like two chairs and a table) near the windows and inbuilt wall cabinet-thus, with books on the shelves, it would make a good reading/relaxing area.

The other option is ( if this will include a small dining area) then place the table infront of the cabinets, and use the cabinet to display dining ware and other decors.

Niche Interiors: San Francisco Interior Design Services · More Info

Dining room · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 1:07AM
Need help decorating formal living room
Hi everyone I need help decorating my living room.
ulvikap
Need help decorating my living room!
Hi there! Looking for some expert advice for a non-creative...
arielli
need help decorating small living room using black leather couches
have nice black leather sectional couch what can i...
plsolorio
Need help decorating small living room/dining room
We moved in last year summer to our new home and got...
Laureen
Need help decorating my living room please
I need help designing my living room any ideas will...
ZoilayCarlos Medina
Damage to gutter due to tree strike
No visible roof damage but noticed my gutter slightly...
Rick Walker
Drapes
What color drapes?
Brooke Mann
General Contractor search
I'm currently looking for contractors that have experience...
rykert215
Need help with small laundry room
Hi Everyone! This room frustrates me
fehrmaiden
Anyone else nervous about gray paint?
I know gray is the IT color scheme right now - 5 minutes...
Rebecca
Sponsored Products
Runner Rug: Angelo:HOME Carmine 2' 6" x 8' Contemporary
Home Depot
Bahama Zigzag Decorative Pillow
$24.99 | zulily
Polished Marble Double-Bowl Farmhouse Sink - Chiseled Front
Signature Hardware
Blindsgalore No-Holes Pleated Shades: Room Darkening Solids
Blindsgalore
BDI | Comma End Table
YLiving.com
Homelegance Rufus 48 Inch TV Stand
Beyond Stores
Florence Style Loft Leather Loveseat in Black
$749.00 | LexMod
Hubbardton Forge Rene Dark Smoke Modern Table Lamp
Lamps Plus