Tina D
Hi. Looking for some color and design ideas to integrate my living room and dining room. While I still like the red walls in my living room, I've been living with them a long time and it's time for a change. As for the dining room, my dilemma is what to do with the knotty pine.... paint it? or replace it? My husband wants to tear it all down, but that could be expensive as all the molding would have to be replaced, around windows, plate rail etc....and it's a real old house so we could be opening a can of worms! I will be changing out the dining room furniture. Thinking of expresso on the fireplace wall with the other walls a cappuccino color. Help please. Thank you.
bepsf
I think the knotty pine is charming - I'd leave it alone and update the dining room with new paint on the walls, simpler window coverings and furniture and less clutter (not talking about your collection of plates & mugs - it's the stuff on the floor & corner table that's distracting)

If you were to treat the rooms as one with color and fabrics, you could go a long way towards making your spaces flow.
1 Like   August 7, 2011 at 7:35PM
leticiashaquana
are your walls wallpapered or textured in the dining area?
   August 7, 2011 at 8:04PM
Nicole Lanteri
If you wanted to update the knotty pine without taking it down you could paint it a pretty light gray (Benjamin Moore Light Pewter or Horizon) or cream color (Benjamin Moore Linen White) and paint the fireplace the same color. Then I would update the rugs for each space and get the same rug for each space to tie them together. As far as the paint on the walls goes, you could paint the fireplace wall an accent color and then the rest of the walls in that room and the dining room the same color to streamline your look and then let your plates and other fun things stand out.
   August 8, 2011 at 3:59AM
Bud Dietrich, AIA
Would be nice to tie the rooms together by introducing the "craftsman" trim that's in the dining room into the living room. This would add a lot of detail and interest to the living room too. You can use inexpensive, stock pre-finished trim pieces in the living room if you decide to paint all of the trim white / light gray.

A similar theme (though a bedroom) is:

You can search through Houzz for "craftsman trim" or similar terms.
1 Like   August 8, 2011 at 9:45AM
CF Raines Interior Design
I would definitely recommend painting the knotty pine paneling, it will instantly update. Possibly do a soft neutral color with a tinted glaze over it to help cover or disguise the knots (which will faintly show even when painted). Maybe think about the wall color being lighter neutral than espresso and cappuccino. Think about same color family but much lighter shade, pick a color that either is in same warm family as your wood floor or a cooler light gray. You could do living room slightly different value than dining room, but I would not recommend an accent wall, it will chop up space. I would also think about adding crown moulding to your living room and updating your fireplace screen to either a bronze or black metal.
Check out my profile for additonal help.
2 Likes   August 8, 2011 at 9:45AM
Jorgie
I am going to be the thorn in your side....but hopefully a good one that will only require a shot of espresso and strong will. I think the knotty pine should come down. It is dated and it encloses the space and if you tore it and the paper down and painted it a fresh color it would open up the space and make it much more sophisticated. I also agree the red color has got to go...try something more soothing for a change...like Pale smoke by benjamin moore...its a soothing grayish blue that looks great in the daylight and at nite. It goes with everything. I would then change the dining room color to a light( not dark) sage or celadon green... I think if you lose the rug and the chairs and maybe stain the table it could still work...I also think that you should get one nice piece of furniture like a credenza or a china cabinet and put all the chotchkas in it...There is too much going on everywhere on every wall...if you grouped the stuff in one area it wouldnt feel so busy. I would move the electric piano out of that room too... Hope this helps. Good luck you CAN do it!!
   August 8, 2011 at 2:58PM
Jorgie
Oh yes, once you repaint the living room I highly suggest you order some curtains and hang them high!! Instead of at the top of the window height..this will make your room feel incredibly large and airy....
   August 8, 2011 at 2:59PM
ccinaus
I think the knotty pine is a beautiful architectural detail that helps give your house character, but I would definitely paint it white and use the same white on the paneling on the lower part of the wall and all door and window frames to tie it all together. This will tone down its impact a bit. I like the idea of the espresso and cappuccino although I agree with someone else's idea of using a colour a bit paler than cappuccino but in the same tone to avoid making the rooms too dark. Espresso on the fireplace should work as it's a smaller area. White trim really makes these sorts of colours 'pop' and look fresh instead of too brown. Using the same colours in both rooms will definitely help make them flow as one space. Good luck!
1 Like   August 8, 2011 at 4:46PM
donia09
I tend to agree with Jorgiegirl... the paneling should come down ... leave the other trim work, but paint it white. Remove the wallpaper and paint the walls something like Benjamin Moore Marina Gray and the living room a shade lighter Silver lake this will tie the rooms together. Add crown molding in lv and paint all trim white so the rooms seem seamless. The stuff in the room is too distracting ones eye doesn't know where to rest. Hang curtains in living room at ceiling height... Use the plate collection as a focal point on one wall instead of on the plate rail. As to the fireplace leave the wall alone but maybe paint the bricks a different shade. Graphite by benjamin Moore coordinates with the other colors. Hope this helps... I'm always changing things in my house too. Good Luck
   August 8, 2011 at 5:52PM
steppedonalego
I would also paint out the knotty pine (prime really well first) in a light/subtle creme or ivory.. then I would paint the walls above it something like Benjamin Moore's Paradiso or Windy Sky... accessorize with silver, ivory white and maybe a gorgeous contrasting color such as BM's Pomegranate ....
   August 8, 2011 at 6:06PM
scbandbob
ok this will be a little trouble, but georgous. strip the pine and white WASH it. lwt that grain show through. all it needs is to be lightened. check out the whitewashed and limed wood on this site, very "new" and very pretty. in the south, you only find it in the most expensive properties.
1 Like   August 8, 2011 at 6:17PM
alistir
Re painting the knotty pine, we had to use a shellac-based primer (from Home Depot) to cover the old finish and prevent the knots from showing through many, many coats of paint. Regular "stain covering" primer won't do the job. Found that out the hard way!!
1 Like   August 8, 2011 at 7:00PM
Carol Standil Colour & Design
You have a charming home with loads of potential! It sounds like you're looking to update and modernize your look, while still maintaining the charm that probably made you fall in love with your house in the first place. Although you say you are replacing your dining furniture, you don't say what style you are replacing it with. I think the current style actually suits your home well, and could be updated very easily. If it's a case of having to work with a tight budget (isn't it always!), I would suggest that you keep the dining furniture and invest instead in some new living room furniture. A classic William Birch style sofa in a solid or subtle print would be timeless and open up a world of options. Once you have chosen your sofa fabric, you can then start thinking about wall colours. (You always want your wall colour to relate to something else in the room) We're on the tail end of a brown trend and the start of a gray trend, but with a heritage home like yours, I don't recommend jumping too heavily on either trend. You can achieve a very fresh and current feel with any number of great neutrals. (Which one depends on the fabric you choose for your new sofa.) Or you could choose colour -- a warm gold or soft green, perhaps -- again, depending on your fabric choice for your sofa. Consider adding an area rug to pull the room together, and add another occasional chair to balance out your seating arrangement around the fireplace. You can have some fun with this fabric if you want -- just make sure it relates colour-wise to your sofa fabric.
I have to agree that it would be ideal to take the paneling down in the dining room. If that's truly not feasible, then I would suggest painting it. It looks like you have baseboard heaters in the dining room. Is it possible to find another heat source and remove these? It would make the space feel much cleaner and more finished. To update your dining set, try painting the chairs black and adding a new area rug. I think an oval
   August 8, 2011 at 7:07PM
Jorgie
it would be easier to rip it down trust me...also it will immediatley make the room feel less confined...
   August 8, 2011 at 7:08PM
Alison
I always discourage people from painting wood (although white washing it may be a good option but once it's painted to go back is a nightmare and sometimes not possible)... wood has a charm of it's own. I would, however, consider getting rid of some of it ie the paneling but keep the frames and even the plate rail. find a colour that works well with the room, perhaps a yellow based soft but strong colour (don't go washy, try a mid tone butternut or something like that play around with the colours in the space... you don't want yellow per say just something to brighten and work with the wood) Is there wood around the windows in the living room? Hard to tell if they just blend into the red or are missing altogether... I would make sure the window frames match in both rooms and whatever you do to the walls in one room definitely carry it through to the other. Good luck this space has huge potential....
1 Like   August 8, 2011 at 7:15PM
bonnie8
Lots of good ideas for you here. My suggestion is to paint the brass fireplace door frames black. Use a high heat spray paint. We did this and it was so easy, but such a huge improvement.
   August 9, 2011 at 4:52AM
woofwoof
You've got a very high fireplace surround that sort of eats the wall. If you can't change it, at least change the brass, paint or whatever. Also, your furniture placement in the living room is odd, and a little sparse. If you faced your couch to the fireplace and had a nice rug in front, that would make more sense and look a little more inviting. As for the rugs, I know it's an old house, but you've got a very old-fashioned looking rug. I'd find something with a smaller pattern. The red is good, red and brown always look swell! And yes, lighten the paint and have it carry through both rooms and new window coverings throughout, again for consistency.
   August 9, 2011 at 7:06AM
scaplan
As soon as you start painting paneling and trim- you are going to have a huge project on your hands because you are going to have to do the rest of the house, as well. That is a HUGE project. I think your idea of painting the fireplace wall a dark brown and the walls a very light brown is fine. I would do the dining walls in that light brown also. Spray paint the gold fireplace with a product meant for that. I think the only place where you are going wrong is SCALE. If you adjust your scale, I think you will be much happier with your space and feel less like you need to go out and buy new furniture, replace rugs or take on major reno projects. I suggest that you raise your curtain rods at LEAST half way up to the ceiling from where they are now and buy longer and fuller curtains- and two panels for each window. They ones you have now are much too twee. Replace the lace curtains in the dining room and get larger artwork or several smaller pieces in a grid pattern to fill the space (like your plates, for example). Take down the items you have on the fireplace mantel and replace them with larger ones or leave them off altogether. Again, the items you have chosen are much too small for such a large fireplace. Best of luck!
   August 9, 2011 at 7:08AM
Philis Rivera
If it was me, I would take it all out except the plate rail and I would paint that a light color or soft white. I would need to know the look you are going for to say what colors to use. It will really help if you put together a picture board with fabrics, colors and pictures of furniture and art you would like in the space, otherwise your decorating will end up haphazard. I have a file on Houzz of all ideas for my rooms and I hone it down all the time to help me lock in on what I really want for my space. One thing I did notice is that there is no real pop of color in you rooms. All browns and Autumn reds, will be amazing if you lighten it up and add some cool colors.
   August 9, 2011 at 8:41AM
mousemaker
if the knotty pine ( i almost typed knitty :)) is original to the house? you need to decide how important originality is to you and if you want to preserve it. i live in an old house too, and i can tell you that painted woodwork is awful..yes, that's my very own opinion :)
i agree that a little research into the age and style of your home would be helpful in not only deciding what to preserve, but in how you want it to look.
i think you have some wonderful elements already that just need some enhancement.
   August 9, 2011 at 1:15PM
Tina D
Thank you, thank you, thank you.... for your wonderful suggestions.... every single one. I am just bursting with excitement.
First of all, I'm a little mortified at the state of my house, shoulda cleaned up a bit, wasn't expecting it to be a showcase (!).... been living like this for 15 years. Yeah, it's time for change.
I love the warmth, age and character of my old house, and want to keep that. That dining room looks out onto a wrap around porch.
I have pored over each one of your suggestions.... got a list of paint chips to pick up at the store (can't wait), and you've given me ideas I never even thought of (whitewashed walls? OMG Where have I been?).
I think paint, new molding and rugs are my priority. Oh yes, and I love the idea of (real) curtains hanging high up near the ceiling.
Budget, however, is the issue here.... thanks to a lovely master suite renovation I just completed a month ago (and blew the bank on). I uploaded a few pics of it on my ideabook page (bottom of page), gives you an idea of my taste, and lets you know where the cappuccino color idea came from.
Lastly, thank you to the creators of Houzz website...... I'm totally addicted....
   August 9, 2011 at 6:43PM
dwood
Paint it! Painting would be a rewarding project, but taking it down would be a MAJOR project! All the trim around your doors and windows.. oh my! Paint it!
   August 10, 2011 at 4:22AM
bernadette1234
I had my knotty pine whitewashed and am very happy with it. I still can see the knots and texture but it is an updated,lighter look.
   August 10, 2011 at 4:33AM
storklady
Take down would definitely be major and expensive. I think the wood painted would be beautiful...more lovely than sheetrock because of the texture of wood. You can buy BIN at home depot and prime it first...BIN will not allow the knots to bleed through the painted finish. Then paint with at least two coats. I've done this and it turns out beautifully. Good luck.
1 Like   August 10, 2011 at 5:42AM
nassaumary
He wants to tear it down????? Dear God! I installed a ton of wood trim just so that I could paint it all a few years back! You have a golden opportunity to have an incredibly warm, charming and character filled home, just by painting all that wood white. I would select a warm white, like BenMoore Antique White, and use a very neutral but warm colour on the walls - like Shelburne Buff (again Ben Moore). In looking at the style you have now, it looks as though you like a more traditional feel...but that doesn't mean it has to be dark and exactly traditional. And hey - if you really don't like it after you paint it - THEN you can tear it out. A lot harder to put back in if you decide you don't like it 'plain'...
1 Like   August 10, 2011 at 5:47AM
dawnwinds58
Old knotty pine is something that a person either loves, or doesn't. The old varnish ages to a golden hue, sometimes "orangey" but not as intense as old cedar. If you really just don't like the look, get rid of it. But? I hear a lot of "paint it" and wonder why I haven't heard strip and restain in a darker hue or colorwash so the grain still shows. Wood is more versatile than paint it or live with it. There are many more treatments available than just paint. If it is that old pine color that bugs you, try a dark stain, say the color of the darker graining in your dining table? If you are wanting lighter, you could try and match your wood floors in stain. The darker look would frame the dining room, lighter would flow, have continuity, and draw the eye upwards. One more thing though, if you do choose to keep the wood, try placing your art in frameless mount, no mat. Use the wood as the frame rather than each piece in a separate "box." Set your artwork free within the woodwork.
   August 10, 2011 at 7:03AM
mousemaker
dear tinad, we all have gym shoes and igloo coolers. not to worry :)
   August 10, 2011 at 7:12AM
nassaumary
As DawnWinds says, wood can be restored. And depending upon the style you're looking for, it could be lovely. I do find, however, when someone feels the need for 'change', painting makes more impact than stripping and refinishing...
   August 10, 2011 at 7:18AM
Ka-Cee Vaughan
I think if you use the colors you chose the house will be far too dark. I would first try a green, before even painting or deleting the wood. Green in any shade makes wood work sing. It appears richer next to green walls. I however would choose an avocado green and go all the way. Once that's done I would first pick one room and paint the wood. I had walnut stained wood work all over my house, which was built in 1986, and when the kitchen was remodeled I painted and glazed the walnut stained wood to match the new cabinets in the rest of the kitchen...as soon as I was done the rest of the dark wood was on the chopping block. It turned out better than I had hoped... it took a bit though, very light sanding then a coat of no-sand then a coat of oil based primer then two coats of latex paint and finally a coat of fawn colored glaze...brushed on and wiped off. Beautiful, everyone though I bought matching trim with the cabinets. If the one room doesn't make you really happy then consider loosing the wood... in my opinion the wood is a far better structural product then the dry wall. Good luck!
   August 10, 2011 at 7:54AM
InterDesign Studio
I like your color direction for living rm, and I would paint the knotty pine and walls above in dining room as well. With the dark accent wall in living rm (see my project photo with dark fireplace wall) and coordinating beiges / taupes in dining rm (see my project photo in beiges with the wainscot).
   August 10, 2011 at 8:15AM
Vicki Jackson
I would try some quick budget friendly ideas before doing a whole house reno. Perhaps starting with the easiest fix--Paint.. In the dining room think about what you will want to keep-- The blue dishes?? Then find a color to highlight them! Then move on to the living room--find a lighter color to change things up! I agree full length -possibly tailored curtains in linen color will update the space quickly!! Move the dining room rug into the living room. Then sit back and live with it all-- Then if you still feel the need to address the wood-- I think white wash... taking it down takes away from the history of your home. Historical homes are charming and its probably what drew you to it in the first place.
   August 10, 2011 at 8:18AM
ckgc1
I had paneling removed while leaving the molding and base boards. Had to do new wall board & mudding. The mudding ended up being the most expensive part of the process, but it was well worth the result. It wasn't all that big of a deal. Would love to see the finished project some day.
   August 10, 2011 at 9:01AM
Margaret MacCabe-Ritchie
My vote is for the white paint!!! You can never go wrong with that and it isn't a major overhaul. It will be spectacular!
   August 10, 2011 at 9:24AM
wahles
I have the same dilemma in my third floor master. Seriously considering painting because the wood is only 18 years old. As for color, your living space is somewhat dark, I would go with something light.
   August 10, 2011 at 10:29AM
hilltop1155
I think the knotty pine adds a lot of character and warmth. I don't think you should paint it, as long as it is in sync with the style of the house overall. If you do end up painting it, I think white would be the choice to make it tie in with the other rooms. If that is wallpaper behind it, I think I'd remove that and go with a warm color of paint for the walls.
   August 10, 2011 at 2:20PM
sefac
Looking at the architectural style shown along with the window sill height in the dining room, I would not be surprised if that is not the original trim. If you have plaster and lathe walls don't ever let your husband tear into it. You will have the biggest mess you can imagine. First the trim is wide in order to cover the weight boxes for the double hung windows. Secondly the plaster probably runs up only to the edge of the trim. Third the trim boards may not be western white pine but southern yellow pine which was much more common. Simply because it was cheaper at the time the home was built. Over time the rosin in southern yellow pine dries up and the lumber becomes hard as a rock and just as difficult to move.
   August 10, 2011 at 2:20PM
rsis
The old knotty pine dilemma is so common that there probably should be an online support group for it.
As you can see, the rubber stamp remedy for years has been the "paint it white" solution. This works well for many, but some folks just don't want the paint, and sometimes it's for good reason.
I have found that there are two factors working against the old pine for today's design. #1, the old shellac and/or lacquer finish used in the old days simply has way too much gloss. #2, these finishes produced an extreme patina that often exceeds a warm amber into a full blown orange hue.
Sometimes simply cutting the gloss with fine sandpaper (don't get carried away, just cutting gloss here) can make a giant leap from the 50's toward this century. This also tends to help mute the orange. From there, making color choices that will help tone down the orange hue can also make a big improvement.
I see a lot that needs attention in this dining room and the pine wouldn't be at the top of my list. My starting point would be the wallpaper.
Check out some examples of up to date country on Houzz. You will find that all the clutter, bold and busy fabrics and wallpapers are gone. Today's country is very subtle, muted, clean and relaxed. Rustic elements tend to be more authentic and fewer in numbers, each making an honest statement. Good luck! It's a great house!
1 Like   August 11, 2011 at 3:10PM
chookie
I love your pine and the wallpaper is so pretty. I think you should keep them. This is the real stuff, not the "batten and board" being put into boring modern homes to give texture.
What I see is something weird at skirting level. What are those white box things? Heating? They spoil the room's traditional look. I wonder could you replace them with a system less jarring? You also have a collection of blue plates, but a pink rug -- try a rug in blue shades there and see if it pulls together better. Or start collecting pink china!
   August 12, 2011 at 6:10AM
janishill
I just spent an hour writing out details on how to change your look fairly inexpensively and then accidentally closed the page. (sigh) Here it is in a nutshell.

The dining room would look fantastic painted Benjamin Moore 'Hawthorne Yellow'. This color will bring out the tones in the paneling and add warm to the room.

Hang vertical striped curtains useing the same colors (blues, golds, greens) as your new rug. (see pictures). The furniture will look beautiful in the 'new surroundings'.

Remove everything above the plate rail. Hang a blue/white platter above each window or hang three platters on the porch wall; one above each window with one between.

Hang either a large, round mirror or 2 rows of 3 of your lovely blue/white plates on the outside wall (on right in pictures.) Be sure these are centered and not hung too high, as the picture is right now. Hang other plates on the opposite wall.

Place a table runner (in similar colors as curtains) down the center of the table and add a couple of chunky candle holders and candles with a container of hydrangeas, a large clear vase of hosta leaves, or even a big bowl of green apples.

Paint the living room 'Urban Nature'. Paint the window trim fresh white and paint the mantel to match.

Next add a rug that is identical or complimentary to the dining room rug. Identical makes it easier sometimes. Put it length wise in front of the fireplace.

Turn the sofa to face the fireplace. Move the chair to the right hand side. Put the end table next to chair and place the table lamp on the end table. If $$ allow add a second chair putting it where the existing chair is. Add a few throw pillows in blue's green's or golds to the sofa and chair(s)

Put the long table behind the sofa again. Place three blue/white vases on one end of table. Be sure to vary the height. you could put one on top of a book. Put one of your lovely plates on a stand facing toward the dining room on the other end of the table. Place the
1 Like   August 12, 2011 at 12:09PM
janishill
(whoops! ran out pf room)

Place the white water picture (you have on the mantle) behind the plate so it looks good from the sofa side. Put the standing lamp on the end of the sofa closest to the front door for balance.

Hang geometric or floral curtains/drapes from ceiling height. These should be in the same colors as the ones in the dining room. It is best to purchase them all at the same time so you know the colors work together.
   August 12, 2011 at 12:27PM
mistyrags
Hey there! In regard to your knotty pine, my whole house with done in natural knotty pine...cupboards, moundings, etc. Don't replace all the wood. Use a good primer, or Behr's primer and paint all-in-one (have to make sure those knotholes are covered), and paint that wood. Mine looks terrific, and you'd never know that underneath was this outdated pine! Good luck!
   August 13, 2011 at 8:32AM
Jorgie
I love the pictures that were posted of the living room...that accent wall color is great. It really is a perfect inspiration photo for where you can go with that room. Keep us posted we want to see the end result!!
   August 27, 2011 at 7:45PM
Tina D
I agree Jorgiegirl. Note to Interdesign...... you know that 'imitation is the greatest form of flattery'.... you hit the nail right on the head with your pictures. It is exactly what I had envisioned. Thank you. I have pored over all the suggestions over and over, and I'm just fascinated with the response. It is so nice to imagine my rooms in different lights and in different color schemes, I could go nuts!
Thanks to everyone for taking the time and interest to respond to my design dilemma
   August 28, 2011 at 2:42PM
Principessa Leah
Knotty pine. It is the exact reason I am shopping around on this site. If your pine is in good condition I vote for keeping it. It is a beautiful, original, solid wood. You will be reducing your carbon foot print while preserving history and your pocketbook. My plan is to paint it an off white/antique white/cream to keep it looking well.... antiqued yet bright. There is an original copper colored exhaust hood in my kitchen. This is my inspiration piece. What is yours? What special little feature do you like in the kitchen? Pick it and work from there. Old home for me=charm and updated charm=charmingly quaint. Good Luck!
1 Like   March 3, 2012 at 6:58PM
mousemaker
i'm curious where you got the little buildings that are on the door ledge? i'm afraid i must have some :) although where i would put them is another problem :)
   March 4, 2012 at 8:29AM
nmcs
I love knotty pine, so of course, I would say don't remove it or paint it. You might check into refinishing it and then finding paint that would look good with the new color. New curtains or drapes, new rugs, accent pieces, and maybe recover chairs or different lighting and you can completely change the feel of the room without spending a fortune and turning it into a giant project.
   March 11, 2012 at 4:52AM
jansgirl
tinad--I love your master redo!! I see your like your cappacino w/ lots of cream! Bring it downstairs.

You must start on getting the wall paper down in the dining room. Paint your knotty pine the cappacino and the walls a lighter version of that. I'd replace the curtains with cafe length curtains that are not gathered when closed. That gives you privacy but still lets the light in. I'd replace the rug with something more modern- a chevron pattern???? ooh-a steel blue chevron? Then you could take the plates off the rail and do an arrangement on larger wall we can see.

I bet you have red in your sofa, huh? Well, I'm ignoring that for now! Paint the walls your cappacino, Turn the sofa to face the fireplace w/ the sofa table behind it. And since I'm just positive you have an outlet in the floor..... two lamps on each end of that. Curtains would be the same syle in the living room as the dining. What ever accent color is chosen for the dining room, I'd do a solid shaggy rug under the furniture in here. Rireplace would be the lighter paint color and cover the mantel w/ a simple, chunkier one. Paint the brass on the fireplace. Flip the chair to the other side of the fireplace, add a side table and lamp. Choose a new throw.

Wee, it's fun to redo for someone else...........
   March 11, 2012 at 10:56AM
ekc3502
We have knotty pine trim too. We painted it white in one room and will paint the rest of the trim room by room. This way it doesn't look like we are mid project for a long time.
1 Like   March 11, 2012 at 2:10PM
myhouse385
I bought my house precisely because it is full of unpainted knotty pine. Anyone can have standard walls. You have something authentic. I worked with mine by combining modern Ghost chairs, industrial metal table and raw steel bookcases, Safavieh rugs and curtains with a sheen. The knotty pine has an orange tone so I am using a color scheme of ivory, green, aqua, and black accents... in the fabrics and rugs. The walls are white. I did paint the kitchen cabinets because they were too grimy to clean and too heavily varnished to strip. If you look in European design magazines, the look is rustic balanced with modern... I did the same thing.
1 Like   March 18, 2012 at 8:36PM
paishton
personally i hate it. i have been too long with the cabin look. i prefer something more refined and bright. we have just bought a place and every room is wood. as much as i love nice wood this is cheap with knots and it not only makes the place dark but the knots are busy, like rooms full of polka dots. we have covered most walls now in sheetrock. i can now breath easy. it looks bright and breezy,before i looked like some ones 50's rec room.
   April 18, 2012 at 7:43AM
myhouse385
My house is very similar – lots of knotty pine. It will come back, believe me. I've attached some photos. I went with white walls because the house is small and the knotty pine is enough color.
1 Like   April 19, 2012 at 9:20AM
mousemaker
oh oh myhouse385!! i love love love your birdhouses!!!! reminds me of a late friend who had a wooden mermaid hung over the living room (yes!) it's so creative!!!
   April 19, 2012 at 1:17PM
myhouse385
thank you mouse maker... I had a "formal" house before. This one with its knotty pine and character is so much more fun. Now I am buying paintings of mangoes... because I want to create a studio wall in honor of the mango tree that will probably fall on my house in the next hurricane.
   April 20, 2012 at 8:51AM
mousemaker
i have always like knotty pine..it's comfortable and warm. my "office" room has knotty pine and i love it when the sun shines..
i love mangoes!! i'm sorry about the hurricane threat where you live..
1 Like   April 20, 2012 at 9:20AM
myhouse385
yes, it is a huge mistake to paint over it because you can't strip it to get it back. it is much better to decorate around it and incorporate it... it doesn't have to have a cabin or retro feel... I love it too when the sun shine in... the whole back room ceiling is done in it... it is my favorite room.. see below
   April 20, 2012 at 10:14AM
melibd
Did anyone notice when this topic was posted? 9 months ago.....Hmmm wonder if she has made any changes yet?
   April 20, 2012 at 10:21AM
mousemaker
that's so funny!!! here we've all been "talking" :)
   April 20, 2012 at 10:23AM
SRM Architecture and Interiors
We know you've already got a lot of ideas to work with here, but we have a project that looks really similar and just had to attach it.

Here's an example of a dining room with a similar color scheme, where we kept the molding. We love how it turned out, and see potential for you to do something similar with your living & dining rooms.
   April 20, 2012 at 10:25AM
mousemaker
that does look very nice. if the OP comes back, maybe she will consider some of those features. i do like the way the sunlight streams in--my dining room has that too and lots of rainbows from the leaded glass. my cats used to lay around in there because they could be in the sun, be lazy :) and listen to NPR :) :)
1 Like   April 20, 2012 at 10:37AM
cajie2luv
Paint the kitty pine
   January 22, 2013 at 4:01PM
cajie2luv
Pant the whole house a neutral light color immediately!
   January 22, 2013 at 4:04PM
designmic
I also have knotty pine and am in a dilemma about what to do. I am resistant however to painting it. I have never seen painted wood that I liked... It always looks like a second choice to me. Whitewashing is possible. Anyway my idea is to instead focus on cleaning up and modernizing the decor and see if that balances it all out. That's where I'm leaning with mine. Just my current thinking...
   August 31, 2013 at 6:49PM
lulu4244
To me, whitewashing with the grain showing through some, would be the best choice. Gives it a whole different feel and it would lighten things up.
   September 1, 2013 at 7:52AM
Ruth_Anne MacDougall_Fuller
I have also been thinking about what to do with the knotty pine we have in our living room in out little house (was a camp) on a lake. I have decided to go with all white woodwork, new white slider, white or white washed frames around new art /pictures....am trying to lighten it up. Am even changing from black lanterns on the mantel to white. Am very excited with my decision now....may work for you, too!
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 6:19AM
designmic
For now I'm sticking with the original and looking for a person who restores wood to help guide me. To get the scratches out and clean it up. If I can I want the original wood intact I've decided. Will use decor to modernize the look. But has anyone ever taken the hinges off kitchen cabinets to clean and then put them back? I may have to get new hinges. Lots of work but keeps the original wood while cleaning up the look... Feedback?
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 9:31AM
mousemaker
sounds like a good plan. it might look different after it's restored (I mean better :))
I haven't done anything with hinges, but I did clean a lot of doorknobs and plates. I did take some of the off, but others were too difficult and I didn't want to ruin the wood.
I used old toothbrushes.
   October 20, 2013 at 9:57AM
Lose the red. Take dn pine. Not hard should not impact walls if so dry wall is cheap. Lose window treatment and thing like plate shelve. Update the look. Moulding cheap and easy to replace. Go for it.
   October 20, 2013 at 10:00AM
No gold. Change fire screen to all back. Paint. A dove gray. White wood trim and doors. Paint both rooms the same and keep window covers he same. A simple solid panel on ends of window in a darker shade of walls would be nice. Remove clutter. .rooms look too busy.
   October 20, 2013 at 10:03AM
Install black rod iron rods over windows. No rings on panels (drapes). A simple white pleated shade under them if you need for privacy. Lowes carry and will cut for free. Measure inside of window.
   October 20, 2013 at 10:06AM
No small items on walls. Just a few very large art, looks better than many small ones. Hang very low. Change to a bold color art over firepl. For color.
   October 20, 2013 at 10:07AM
I see now this is a very old post. Dated to Aug. So not sure if you have done anything.??
   October 20, 2013 at 10:10AM
Need help, wasted space!
Our front door opens into a large open area. Originally...
Need help with this master bedroom redecorating
We are so excited to get to redecorate. Does the picture...
DESIGN DILEMMA: Filling Cracks in your bathroom? DIY!!
Are you having issues with cracks in your tub, shower...
Need help for my downstairs livingroom!
Hi. I really need som help with my downstairs livingroom....
Maximising fire pit design
We are currently renovating our home as well landscaping....