Need sink suggestions
judykitchenproject620
My kitchen cabinets are white washed oak, and I plan to keep them . I am replacing the counter with a brown-black blend of Formica that looks like marble. Should I put a new stainless sink in, choose black, or a granite one in a sandstone color? Stainless shows water spots. How about black?
If you have hard water, black will also show water spots. I have a stainless sink and I clean it with Bartender's Friend and then dry it completely. Even though we have really hard water it doesn't show water spots when I do this.
May 8, 2013 at 5:11AM     
Durpetti Interiors
Stainless. Black will show watermarks even more. Get the highest grade you can. Agree with above that Bartenders Friend is great cleaner. Best of luck!
May 8, 2013 at 5:20AM     
mefor
I have a Just stainless sink that's about 8 years old. No water marks, cleans beautifully, extra deep and looks as good as the day it was installed.
May 8, 2013 at 5:28AM     
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
The only thing that doesn't show water spots are cast iron sinks and those are too heavy for your countertop and require a lot of frame in work by a carpenter. They are also super expensive.
May 8, 2013 at 5:29AM     
Durpetti and CMR, why don't they make porcelain sinks anymore? IMO, they're the best....Bobbi
May 8, 2013 at 5:31AM     
Brenda
I am also a fan of stainless steel sinks. Elkay is the brand that I have. I don't like stone/cast iron/porcelain sinks because it is too easy to break dishes/glassware in them.
May 8, 2013 at 5:31AM     
Durpetti Interiors
There are porcelain options out there, but some scratch easily so many have moved away from them for this reason I think. Yes, cast iron is the "best" for wear and durability, but is very heavy!
May 8, 2013 at 5:35AM     
alwaysdesigning
I have always had nice cast iron and porcelain sinks and have never had any chipping or scratching issues; Bar Keepers friend is the best cleaner. I don't like stainless. I am considering copper in our new house. Good luck
May 8, 2013 at 5:49AM     
I would much prefer a porcelain sink to a stainless sink. The copper looks interesting, tho:
May 8, 2013 at 5:54AM     
Ann
I recently put in a new granite composite (silgranite) sink in their color called biscotti. It's amazing and shows no marks of any type. It never even looks like it needs cleaning but I've used barkeepers friend on it a few times so I know it's been cleaned. I never dry it. I really love it and there are many great configurations to choose from. I really considered copper, but the price for a good quality one was quite high and my husband didn't like the look (I love the look).
May 8, 2013 at 6:40AM     
Need to find a small sink for half bathroom, any suggestions
I need to find a small white sink for our half bathroom....
I need kitchen over-sink lighting suggestions
We have three 12" tall glass front cabinets above the...
Need suggestions for lighting over my kitchen sink
what kind of task lighting would look good in this...
Want a new paint colour for living room
I just painted my dining room and now my living room...
Is 16" too narrow for a coffee table?
My living room measures a cozy 11.5' x 12.5'. I held...
Help with family room accent pieces and furniture placement
We recently moved in and repainted the walls and ordered...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Cambria "fix" with Epoxy?
I just had Cambria Bellingham installed today. One...