Pipe in the middle of bath tear down
May 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The contractor went to tear down a wall in a bath renovation and found this pipe. He thinks it goes all the way to the basement. The bath is on the second floor and the house is at least 100 yrs old. Any ideas on what the pipe is and what can be done with it. It is right in the middle of what would be the new bathroom.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Yolanda Ruiz
Just a question: could you tell me what is written in the angle, between the bathtube and the towels? I cannot read it.
May 8, 2013 at 6:41am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
it could be built back into a wall again if it's imoveable ?! could it be a lightning rod ?! does it go through to downstairs too ?!
May 8, 2013 at 6:56am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Yolanda Ruiz
If the bath is high enough you could tilt and move the pipe next to the closer wall and add a false ceilint, but you'll be forced to move this pipe until the basement, so it depends on the distribution of the floor downstairs.
May 8, 2013 at 7:08am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
I think the first thing to find out would be... what the pipe is for and is it still necessary to the house.
May 8, 2013 at 7:11am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Certified Interiors
Was the original layout a smaller bathroom? Could the pipe be the stack pipe?
May 8, 2013 at 7:21am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Duncan's Creative Kitchens
It sounds like a plumbing vent stack. If the person you have doing the work can't tell you what it's for, then it's time to fire him and hire a licensed contractor.
May 8, 2013 at 8:29am     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
I will have my expert builder take a look when he gets home tonight and will give you an answer.
May 8, 2013 at 8:34am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Plumbing vent could be likely... Does it go out through the roof above? And run near (within a few feet) of a sink/ toilet/ shower below? Hard to tell when its just a circle drawn on a piece of paper but your contractor should be able to identify this.
May 8, 2013 at 8:46am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Look at where it goes. In my old house, we have a various odd bits of no-longer used piping, mostly in our basement, thank goodness. We also have in our mostly wood-framed house, a steel beam and a metal support column (also in the basement). I have no idea if the steel was a fix at some point when the original wood failed or if it just happened to be on hand when the house was built and thus used. I wouldn't be too surprised if your pipe was a support column.
May 8, 2013 at 8:58am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Yolanda, the area is marked closet. We found out more, it is a stack pipe. The contractor said it can be altered and vented out the side of the house instead of roof. Thanks for all the helpful replies
May 8, 2013 at 9:53am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Ironwood Builders
grannygogo 1...Ummm. no, your pipe cannot go out the sidewall only. Code doesn't prevent it going out the sidewall...it just needs to go up above the roof. Is the pipe a 4" vent stack? A fixture count of the rooms below will determine a minimum size....more than likely it can be reduced to 3" and set into an interior wall. A licensed plumber will know the calculations and be able to alter the pipe and figure out a new wall riser location. Then all the vents for the new bath could be tied to this pipe and it can re-exit the roof in its old location. From your descriptions it doesn't sound like your contractor is very experienced or even licensed. Make sure you have a licensed plumber and electrician to rough in the bathroom and hook up the fixtures. Mistakes with either of these things can damage your house....or with electrical, cause serious injury or death.
May 8, 2013 at 5:34pm     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
what's above the bathroom, an attic or another floor? and what is the diameter of pipe?
May 8, 2013 at 9:06pm   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
My husband (a licensed contractor) said that Ironwood Builders is correct, take his advice!
May 8, 2013 at 9:10pm   
Sign Up to comment
Related Discussions
How much would it cost to remodel our whole house like tear it down
We are thinking about tearing down the whole house....
Build up or tear down?
Is it better to add a second story to your house or...
Remodel/Reno vs Tear Down and rebuild
We have a 1950's ranch house on 3 1/2 acres in Northeast...
Keep or Tear Down? PLEASE HELP!
We are transforming our entry-way to a more modern...
Mr. Homeowner; Tear down that wall !
Old kitchen hadn't been touched for 20 years. The scope...
More Discussions
Modex. Model sink by Blanco
Has Any one used this sink by blanco ?
Need help with my kitchen
A have this design which I dont like. I think I dont...
Country Chic
How do you think about this country chic style bedroom? It...
Fireplace and TV configuration help needed!
We've just moved into a new home, and we'd like to...
Looking for hardwood floors
We have an old renovated farmhouse and we want to take...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™